Planet of the Apes

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Planet of the Apes
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 12:59 pm:

i expected little, and got less

risks, Tim, go back to when you used to take RISKS!

By dave. on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 01:05 pm:

yep, it was totally predictable hollywood pap.

the monkeys looked all right.

By wisper on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 01:45 pm:

au contraire, i think the female apes look like shit. The costumes and the rest of the makeup were both very nice though.

By agatha on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 02:11 pm:

the evil monkey guy kicked ass, though, you've gotta admit.

never has there been a stupider movie ending.

By dave. on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 02:39 pm:

you're right. i thought the one apechick was michael jackson at first.

By Gee on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 06:17 pm:

how did it end? I want to know.

By wisper on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 08:20 pm:

no you don't
    trust us.

By Pug on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 08:50 pm:

I liked the ending.....it was actually not unlike the way the Pierre Boulle novel ended....and that was, of course, where it all started....
    Of course, nothing could beat the way the original "Apes" movie ended.....

By J on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 01:08 pm:

I'm going to see it,no matter what,I have to.I might as well come forward and admit that I went to see Cats and Dogs a couple of weeks ago, it wasn't as funny as Babe,but my favorite line in it was "quick sniff my butt".

By spunky on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 01:37 pm:

I have to see it as well. I loved the originals, and I am expecting it to not be as good, but I still have to see it.
    I loved the ending of the first one. I know they cannot top that

By patrick on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 01:51 pm:

dammti i swear i posted to this thread earlier.

i said:

I've never understood the fascination with this movie, original tv and whatnot.

other than the fact that monkeys are funny, as in the "chimp channel" kind of way.

By J on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 01:43 pm:

I saw it yesterday,I didn't like the ending but I don't think I was supposed to. The make-up guy should get an oscar, and is it just me,but didn't anyone notice how they moved? They must have had to really work on that,I was impressed.

By agatha on Wednesday, August 1, 2001 - 01:18 am:

i was impressed by the apes and the visual effects.

the apes ruled.

the humans sucked.

the plot sucked.

the ending sucked.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 1, 2001 - 08:56 am:

The apes did rule. The humans were weak. The score was awesome. The plot was alright. I liked how they explained how the apes and humans came to be on the planet. I LOVED the ending. Even I didn't see that one coming. And it set up a sequel a lot better than a lot of other movies have.

I really liked how the race relation subtext in the 60s version was replaced here with an animal rights subtext. I don't think very many people caught that. I know that none of the critics whose reviews I read caught it.

Tim Roth was great. Marky Mark was not a good choice, though. Vin Diesel would have been better.

Remember, folks, Burton almost certainly set out ot make a big B movie.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and the critics can kiss my ass, because they're retards.

By PetRock on Thursday, August 2, 2001 - 02:12 pm:

I'm with you Sem...I loved the ending as it came totally out of left field for me. Of course it raised quite a lot of questions (you can see the debates going on in just about any movie site) but perhaps those will be answered in the sequel (I assume there will be one).

Tim Roth kicked ass and was generally excellent. Marky Mark was a weak choice I'll admit. Now the big question is why didn't the humans just swim over to the other side of the water, if they knew that apes were terrified of water (after 1,000 years on a planet, you would think they would learn these things).

All in all, I was more pleased w/ Apes than I was in Jurassic Poop III (I know, I know...what was I expecting anyway?)

By semillama on Thursday, August 2, 2001 - 03:05 pm:

AH, the water thing I though about too, but when Marky Mark was rocketing away from the planet at the end, you see it has no major bodies of water.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact