Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 09:22 am:

Got a free pass to an advance screening last night. It's good. A lot funnier than Dogma. Probably the funniest movie I've seen in a long time, my face hurt from smiling for too long after I left the theatre. I f you like jokes that bag on Hollywood, this is the film for you. Plus, a fantastic cameo by Mark Hamill.

By TBone on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 10:14 am:

I'm kinda bummed it's their last. I'm glad it's good though. I suppose you can only take Jay and Silent Bob so far. I'm going to see that as soon as humanly possible.

By Hal on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 12:41 pm:

CONTINUE THE EPIC KEVIN SMITH...

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH.

By wisper on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 05:35 pm:

i'm going to confess a few things.
    Clerks was okay.
    Mallrats was solid fun.
    Chasing Amy was so boring i fell asleep and have yet to give it another shot, no matter how many times i hear people saying it made them cry/it was "so true", and the sig.other insists that his watching it at one point possibly saved our relationship. Maybe i wasn't paying attention. I know i can't be the only one...
    Dogma dissapointed badly. I wanted my $8 bucks back. Sure, Buddy Christ was great, but every other joke or observation was so obvious.
    Just blame my hours of christian television viewing.

the Clerks cartoon makes me smile, however.

By patrick on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 06:57 pm:

yes i agree about chasing amy.....and that other movie he did....the religious one....boring.......

Mall Rats was by far my fav.

I love it when they wail on the Easter Bunny.

By TBone on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 07:59 pm:

It makes my stomach turn when people say ANYTHING is "so true." Usually it means that it either reflects the way they THINK life works, or how they'd LIKE life to work.

Chasing Amy was not "true." I enjoyed it, but I've seen it twice or so, and that's enough. I can keep seeing Clerks and Mallrats though. I think Dogma would have been better if they were still working with a really tiny budget. It was originally supposed to come out after Clerks. It would have been better then.

Ben Affleck irritates me, but that worked really well in Mall Rats.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 08:53 am:

If you really liked Mall Rats, you will like Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Don't expect a good movie, but do expect lots of jokes. Lots of dumb jokes, but you'll still laugh.
    Every time Jay called Silent Bob "lunchbox" I cracked up.

By Gecko on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 01:19 am:

On to this, I would highly reccommend reviewing the old flicks in advance of screening Jay and Silent Bob. It is fantastic, but the subtle references to the other films is what makes the show. It is much like the Simpsons. A six year old will find it funny, and a 26 year-old will find it funny, but not always for the same reasons.

I agree that this movie was a bit too glittery and hollywood to jive with the uniqueness with Mallrats and Clerks, but it was still one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. It ranks right up there with The Jerk on my all-time list.

By Skottey on Monday, September 3, 2001 - 07:15 pm:

I loved Clerks and Mallrats. I liked Chasing Amy. Dogma was OK. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was terrible. It was complete shit. I only laughed a few times throughout the movie. See it for free and judge for yourself, but don't waste your $$$$ on it.

By Pug on Tuesday, September 4, 2001 - 02:32 am:

I still consider "Dogma" Kevin Smith's best movie. Maybe that makes me some kinda trend-sucking mongoloid but that's how I feel.
    I don't want to see "J & SBSB" 'til I can watch "Clerks" & "Mallrats" again and see "Chasing Amy" for the first time.

By pez on Tuesday, September 4, 2001 - 02:36 am:

i don't know if i want to see it. there have been too many movies lately.

zzzzzzzzz...

By J on Tuesday, September 4, 2001 - 05:44 am:

Did anyone see "Life is Beautiful"? A great film!

By semillama on Tuesday, September 4, 2001 - 08:50 am:

What ever you do, do not go see Rat Race. It is the most unfunny comedy I have ever seen. Time for Jerry Zucker to hang it up. I only seriously laughed once.

By pez on Tuesday, September 4, 2001 - 03:46 pm:

life is beautiful is wonderful

By Pug on Tuesday, September 4, 2001 - 05:04 pm:

Yeah, "Life is Beautiful" IS pretty good....if you liked "Life is Beautiful", tho, AVOID "Jakob the Liar". It's kinda sorta like "Life is Beatiful" except it sucks.....

By J on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 01:21 am:

But Life is Beautiful,was wonderful,and as always Pug,you are right on.

By Pug on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 09:42 am:

Right on what....?

By Spider on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 11:08 am:

Say, have I told you about the real-life "Life Is Beautiful"-type situation that my family was/is peripherally involved in?

My grandfather was one of the soldiers who "liberated" Buchenwald. When he was there, he took pictures of the camp (including the dog pits and the piles of skeletons) and the surviving inmates. In one of his pictures is a little boy around 2 years old who looks healthy, and he's standing next to his father who's emaciated and dressed in rags. My mom and I used to marvel at the picture, because children were usually the killed as soon as they entered the camps, and here's this little boy, smiling and saluting the camera.

A few years ago, right around the time "La Vita E' Bella" came out, my mother was reading an Italian magazine and she found an article on a real-life story like that of the movie...and there was the picture of the little boy in my grandfather's photographs. His father had hid him in the camp, and now he's a grown man living in NYC.

My mom wrote to the magazine looking for the man's address, she talked to all kinds of people in NYC to see if she could find him...nothing.

In the meantime, she's studing the Holocaust at Northeastern, and she decides to write a paper on this man for one of her classes. When it comes time for her to present her paper to the class, she picks one of her guys in her class to help her set up the PowerPoint slides. So the first slide comes up of the man grown up, and the guy says, "Oh my God, is that Joe?" Turns out, the man is his father's best friend!

The kid gets my mom Joe's phone number, and that night she speaks to him on the phone. Turns out, Joe is about to take a trip to Las Vegas, where my grandfather lives! Whoa! So they met, of course, on my grandfather's 91st birthday. Joe didn't remember much about the camps, but he did remember his father.

So...isn't that so cool? My grandfather (and my mom and I) are convinced that God has his hands all over this, but Joe thinks it's all coincidental. Right.

By patrick on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 12:06 pm:

god?

are you asking US if god had anything to do with this?

you are joking right?

By Czarina on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 12:20 pm:

Well,regardless of how it was orchestrated,its a lovely story.And pretty cool,too.I bet it tripped your grandpa out!

By Spider on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 12:52 pm:

Why would I be joking? Yes, God. I'm not talking about the Holocaust, or Joe's survival, Patrick, I'm talking about the way my grandfather and Joe got to meet 50+ years after the war.

My grandfather has been in a deep depression since his wife died 8 years ago, and this seems to have put him back on his feet again, at least for a while. He said he had always wondered what had happened to that little boy, and now he got to see that the boy had grown up, raised a family, and made a good life for himself.

By patrick on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 01:09 pm:

I know what you are talking about.

you are asking US...US??? Most of us who doubt modern day religion, if god had anything to do with this??? My post was directed more at why in the hell would ask this group of cynics and skeptics about such a thing.

ok....playing along.....

Why do you rule the inexplicable gods work?

Do you believe in coincidence?

What is is that leads you to believe this is gods work? Other than blind faith. Im not to keen on how the catholic church and the jewish faith move along, but assuming your grandpa is catholic and this, boy now man is jewish, whose god is at work here?

Im not disputing the greatness, no no, indeed not. But does the mere thought of coincidence leave you feeling cold and the notion of god's intervention warm?

By Czarina on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 01:13 pm:

I have a quirky coincidence story,too.The town I live in is small,maybe,7000 or so.And the hospital I work at,is in this town.

When the psychiatrist I work for,takes time off,we have one that fills in for him.I have worked at facilities that this substitute doc works at,but have never met him.[over a period of several years]We just never met face to face.

So recently,he filled in for my doc,and I,of course,introduced myself,mentioning that we have talked on the phone several times over the years.

Somehow,it gets mentioned that I am originally from Phoenix.And he says,"Me,too!"

So we discuss what part of Phx we lived in,and it was the same neighborhood.We also attended the same high school,and his stepmother,was my art teacher.He's a few years older than me,I guess thats why we never met in high school.

He's really cool,kinda like a left over hippie,and I blurt out,"Hell,I smoked my first joint at "Hole in the Rock",[which is just what the name implys],and he tells me he was often there himself.

So I just find it weird,that we would meet up here,in Podunck,Lousiana.

But I don't think God had anything to do with it.

By Spider on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 01:33 pm:

Actually, Patrick, I wasn't asking anyone for their opinion except in regards to whether or not they liked the story.

That's really nice, Czarina. Did he say how he ended up in Louisiana?

By patrick on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 01:49 pm:

hmmm

i swore i saw a question mark in there somewhere.

my apologies.

By Spider on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 01:59 pm:

That's okay.

By Nate on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 04:40 pm:

there is no such thing as coincidence.

By J on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 12:48 pm:

I love that story Spider.

By Hal on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 01:18 pm:

God mearly exists due to faith, without faith god does not exist.
    Other then faith god exists as the posibility of existance, but only those who have faith truly belive god exists.
    Therefore god exists due to the belifs of man.
    Therefore god does not exist outside the mind of man.
    Therefore god does not exist.

Ok now that was not my true opinion, but I used that in a debate in highschool once when this fuck decided to bring the bible into his first affirmitive rebuttle and so I had to basically shove god up his ass to win.
    It worked.

By Spider on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 01:39 pm:

Thanks, J!

My mom is still working on that paper. :\

By TBone on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 04:56 pm:

Hal, I'm surprised that worked. Most Christians etc would disagree with your first statement, which would make the rest irrelevant.

Beyond that, you logic is screwy. But I know what you're getting at.

I judged a High School debate tournament last semester. They didn't have a real firm grip on "proof" and logic. I overheard some of them calling me "another idiot judge" later on. They had done poorly shortly before. Maybe I'm not such a good judge for these things. I have too much trouble taking teams seriously when they bring out the more emotional type arguments - right vs. wrong, bad vs. good, wholesomeness vs. freedom. Plus they relied heavily on Mr. Judge not knowing a damn thing about their topic. I tried to pretend. Either they managed to find "evidence" (magazine articles mostly) that were completely wrong, or they just lied. Probably the latter. It worked well for some of them. I did try to gauge their success in beating down the other team, which is what it's really about. What a fucked up activity...

I think they didn't like that I out-dressed them while other judges dressed casually. But dammit, I needed a reason to air out my suit.

By droopy on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 05:38 pm:

hal, did you get that argument from "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy"?

By TBone on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 05:46 pm:

(Excerpt from "The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams)

The Babel fish... is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious ental frequencies from this brainwave frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nervesignals picked up from the speech centres of the brain which has supplied them.

The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbably coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could have evolved by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own argument, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme of his best-selling book Well That About Wraps It Up For God.

Meanwhile, the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different races and cultures, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.

(From the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams, first published 1979, Pan Books Ltd.)

By Hal on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 06:08 pm:

Actually no, I just came up with that out of no where, I know its fucked up logic, and it works a little better to proove god exists rather not, but under the circumstances I figured I'd see if I could reverse the argument.
    And TBone those debaters were probably from Bozeman and GreatFalls, they were morons anyway.

By Pug on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 07:14 pm:

Spider---it is a great story.
    Czarina---yours ain't chopped liver, either.
    Tbone----that's a textbook example of why I never listen to Statistics. For the most part.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact