Panic

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Panic
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Friday, September 7, 2001 - 12:06 pm:

Great film. I totally dug this. Neve Campbell (who CAN'T shake her 20-something, whatsup, conflicted chick role but thats ok cause she does it well) William H Macy and Tracy Ulman star in this. I love Macy, he's always fun to watch.

What this movie, like others I've seen recently, seem to exemplify a trend Im happy to see, that (good) movies are relying less on cinematography, rehashed hits and mega celebrities as much as they are tapping excellent writing, for the screen or adaptations from novels. In addition to good acting. Memento, which I saw recently is a great example of this. This is similar to american cinema on the 40s and 50s when the studios raced to find the next great writer or novelist, whose film they could adapt for the screen. What resulted were a rash of tremendous movies.

Panic is dark humored at times, as well as incredibly sad.

Compared to the rest of the shit out there .... id totally recommend this rental.

By sarah on Friday, September 7, 2001 - 08:30 pm:

i saw The Others with my new friend Sara on Tuesday. it was very scary. i don't like scary movies but i went anyway because she bothered to invite me to do something and she's very cool. i kept my eyes closed through much of the film.

it had a great double twist ending.

it's funny. Ex Mrs. Tom Cruise - i can't think of her name off hand - she is good at playing dispassionate characters. watching her makes me miss Melanie Griffith. same look and feel, better actress, more likeable.

i am well on my way to being drunk, btw. tomorrow i'm going to be a featured presenter at a Story Telling Arty thing at one of those Hip Arty Coffee Shops down on 4th Street.

it starts off like this:

"It's a funny thing the way fate works.

I was supposed to be standing in this very spot this past March for the Fray Cafe event. At the time I was just visiting Austin to attend SxSW Interactive and Music. But what happened that week, and in particular, what happened the night of Fray Cafe not only prevented me from being here to tell a story, it's the reason why I'm standing here in front of you today. It's the reason I packed up after living in Hawaii for 9 years and moved to Austin six weeks ago. That very night turned out to be the night that changed the rest of my life..."

it's a good story. kevin and i have tortured endless family members and friends with the details of coincidence. there's intrigue and love involved. maybe it makes a good story, i don't know.

margaritas might help. but it's a coffee house.

oh well.

By Pug on Saturday, September 8, 2001 - 10:19 am:

Patrick----totally in agreement on "Panic".
    Haven't seen "The Others", yet, but I hear it's great.

By patrick on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 11:55 am:

i should have mentioned, about this movie, the fact that Macy's family business is ....well, being a hitman, and his father is so damn pushy about the "family business"....it makes for some funny moments. Fiom Noir at times even.

I'd like to see others too. fucking love Nicole Kidman. What is it with the fair skinned, red, strawberry-red heads that drives me nuts?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact