Amelie

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Amelie
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 08:27 pm:

What a fantastic movie. It's thenew one by
    Jean-Pierre Jeunet, with Audrey Tautou in it. I
    now have a movie crush on her because of
    that movie, or at least a crush on her
    character. I can't talk about anything in this film
    because I don't want to ruin the slightest bit.
    Just take my word for it, this movie will really
    recharge your batteries. It's easily the best
    movie I've seen all year. And I will go out and
    say it will be better than Lord of The Rings,
    and I've been saying all year that that will be
    the year'sbest movie.

Amelie deserves to win the oscars for best
    picture, director, and actress hands down.

By JoE Kewl on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 12:54 am:

i want a big bag of money

By R.C. on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 04:40 am:

Sem - I've been reading great buzz abt that movie for weeks but no one ever describes the plot! Please -- what the hell is it abt?

By Joe kewL on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 01:48 pm:

rc?

By semillama on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 06:04 pm:

Ok - it's about this woman Amelie who one
    day discovers something that changes her life
    and she goes about trying to help people and
    it involves counting orgasms, photobooths,
    suicidal goldfish and a man with fragile bones
    who paints the same Renoit painting over and
    over. That's all I'm willing to reveal and that
    should be enough.

By dave. on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 08:24 pm:

sounds like a chick flick.

By semillama on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:10 pm:

yeah, but it's not. Go see it, and even a jaded
    bitter old man like yourself, I predict, will exit
    with a smile.

(Agatha! I command you to get thee hence
    and drag dave.'s ass to this movie!)

By dave. on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:11 pm:

who're you callin old?

By semillama on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 10:00 pm:

You, you ass. It's all your fault.

I dare you to see this movie. I saw it with a
    person in greiving and it really helped take
    them to take a break from all the stress and
    sorrow.

Seriously, folks, I tend to make a lot of
    recommendations and say everyone should
    see this or that, but I swear to God that this is
    the movie that every Sorabjite should see. I
    think Mark should see it to take his mind off
    the crap he's been living through lately, for
    one.

By dave. on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 10:12 pm:

sure, and afterwards we can all catch "how to make an american quilt" or "joy luck club". then we can all sit around a trough of ice cream and make personalized montages for each other from pictures and phrases cut out of magazines while listening to leonard cohen or maybe jonathan richman or any motown compilation.

By Cat on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 11:11 pm:

Oh that sounds like fun Dave. And we can hug and cry a bit together too, right?

I am sooo up for that.

By moonit on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 11:47 pm:

Dear Dave,

Thankyou for making me laugh out loud for the first time in two days.

Love,
    moonit

By agatha on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 02:35 am:

dave's busy making collages right now, but i'll tell him about your mirth.

dave's making fun of me and my friends without even meaning to.

By Antigone on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 03:50 am:

Sem is right.

All you bitch ass cynics need to see this movie.

It was fantastic.

By sarah on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 10:27 am:

i wasn't going to go see that one because i thought it looked cliche, but now i want to see it. it's supposed to rain all weekend anyway. bah.

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 11:59 am:

agatha you were citing MY need to categorize?

your boy there appears to be a pro at it too.

By agatha on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 12:14 pm:

oh, absolutely.

his two main categories are "us" and "them." (the boy runs a bit on the paranoid side...)

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 12:22 pm:

by the way sem...did you get my email last week?

i sent you a message re: a post on WAYD about sending me some music of the side project of Low.

did you get that?

By dave. on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 01:33 pm:

me vs. everything

By dave. on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 03:08 pm:

consider:

a guy buys an auto insurance policy. $475/6 months.

guy typically pays late because he doesn't give a fuck.

company suspends coverage for a certain period of time until money comes in.

money comes in.

coverage is re-instated.

repeat.

after 6 months, the guy has paid for 180 days of coverage but has actually only been covered for maybe 150 days.

bottomline: does the guy have a case for a credit or pro-rate?

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 03:20 pm:

that same amount of money WOULD get you the full 180 days but your failure to maintain payment schedule negates that fucko. If the insurance company agrees to pro-rate then wouldnt that open the door for them to offer all other kinds of ridiculous coverage periods. its best for them to stick to 6 month/1 year time frames.

pay this shit on time homeboy.

By Cat on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:16 pm:

Who the fuck let Dave get onto insurance? Close the bloody trap door someone. And make it fast.

By dave. on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:19 pm:

yeah, but ain't it the exact kind of nit-picky kaka they would use to get out of covering a claim. if i had an accident during one of those times where i wasn't covered, i'd be screwed and they wouldn't even blink at the fact that they got their money 2 days later. and they probably "save" millions doing shit like that. that's the difference between people and businesspeople -- no such thing as petty cash.

no. fuck it. from now on, they get my money on my terms. if i don't like the price, i don't buy.

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:21 pm:

but you know dave....if i were agatha id kick your ass for such a position to take, especially if your daughter happens to be in the car with on one of those days fucko.

pick your battles wisely

By droopy on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:26 pm:

in texas, you legally have to have auto liability insurance. how many other states do this? one of the tickets i got the week before last was for no proof of insurance. now i've got to set a court date.

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:28 pm:

CA does.

By The Watcher on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:28 pm:

Dave, I used to work for an insurance Company.

Tell your friend to forget it. He's not entitled to diddley.

Even though his coverage was suspended. He would have been covered for that time as long as they received his check. It's the way they cover themselves from fruad.

Also, tell him to pay his bills on time. A bad credit rating will kill him if he ever really needs money.

Enough about insurance.

I'll wait for this movie to showup on HBO.

By dave. on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:29 pm:

they do that shit here, too. that's what kills me. i HAVE to buy that shit. how nice for the corporations.

By droopy on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:33 pm:

the only thing i hate more is the seatbelt law, which was what i got pulled over in the first place. fascists.

By dave. on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:39 pm:

you're preachin' to the choir, brother. hallelujah!

By agatha on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 04:56 pm:

patrick, believe me, we've been through this. don't get me started.

By semillama on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 05:40 pm:

I did get everyone's emails about the disc and I am going to burn 'em tonight. I hope to get them sent out next week.

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 06:24 pm:

cool sem, thanks!

I didn't think utilities like car registration, insurance, gas bills, electric bills and phone bills show up your credit report.

technically, they aren't extending credit.

its only bank loans, credit cards and the like, where you are being given a sum of money or credit with the intentions to pay it back that show up.

slack off if you just don't feel like paying it, just be sure and tell everyone who gets in your car man and avoid driving kids around unless their parents know.

seriously.

i take a professional manner with my bills. I also inform all of them, that I pay my bills on the 1st of the month, period. My car insurance bill shows up at odd times and say if it shows up on the 4th and is due by the 20th, the fuckers don't get paid until the 1st. I have another bill that is like this, so inadvertently I get on month behind, but they don't send out their bills on time, so they don't get their money on time either.

Intentionally being slow, to the brink of loosing coverage or having your account on hold is how accounting departments deal with bills, thats how i do it.

By dave. on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 08:42 pm:

companies are organized (although you can't tell from the inside), the public isn't. they know that no matter how shitty they treat people, those people will keep sending in their payments. i don't feel like a customer when i'm paying my insurance payment. i feel like i'm paying a fine. patrick, i don't know about you but i don't have comprehensive coverage, just basic liability. fuck it, man. they set the prices of everything. they are on the take every step of the way in a product or services life cycle: from r&d to production to distribution to the store shelf, they are a part of the cost at every turn. don't even get me started on health care. then, they try to make it sound like they're there to do us a favor. "we're here when you need us, and don't forget that we love you(r money)" and then, "we're a lot cheaper when you stop needing us so much".

and nobody fucking cares. everyone's satisfied with this relationship. god, i must be from another planet.

keep counting your orgasms, amelie. everything's gonna be just fine.

By droopy on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 12:01 am:

everything dave says about health care is true.

By dave. on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 01:14 am:

doh!

By R.C. on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 07:28 am:

I HATE SEATBELT LAWS.
    Still have an outstanding tkt from 1998 in NY when I was A PASSENGER & got ticketed for no seatbelt. I was a legal resident of FL at the time & still am/so they can come & take it outta my ass if they want their fucking money! (I started speaking broken French & pretending to be Hatian w/no driver's license when the cop came up/but my pre-wedding-jitters-homegirl blew it by yelling at me in English -- du-uh! But I no longer live at the FL address I had then/so Fuck Um!)

I HATE HELMET LAWS.
    If I"m willing to risk spilling my brains on the pavement from riding on a motorcycle/that's ny damn problem. The insurance co. won't spend anything on me becuz I'll be dead by the time the ambulance arrives. Lauren Hutton was just a lucky bitch that day in the desert in Cali -- most motorcycle accidents are fatalities. But get this -- Florida doesn't require motorcycle drivers to have insurance until AFTER they'r 1st accident/yet they instituted a helmet law 2 yrs. ago. Go figure.

I HATE NON-INSURED-DRIVER INSURANCE
    Becuz people like Dave let their insurance lapse then decide to drive to FL/& becuz there are so many assholes here period/at least 25% of the people on the roads at any given time in the Sunshine State do not have insurance. So FL insurers offer addidiontal (but not mandatory) coverage so you can pay the medical bills of the uninsured asshole driver who hits you! I opted not to take that. If you hit me & you have no insurance/you can die on the side of the road for all I care.

R.C. ALWAYS PAYS HER CAR INSURANCE ON TIME.
    Up until last year/I always paid it in full at the beginning of the year. And even when I had to stretch it out over 5 mos./when that bill came/I paid it before anything else. That & my homeowner's ins. were the 1st priorities.

It is NO JOKE to get into a car acident & not have auto insurance. Fuck repairing yr car -- repairing yr self will cost a fortune. The main reason you have insurance is to cover YOUR ASS & YOUR PASSENGERS. And so that yr insurance company will be obligated to go to court & fight to get yr medical bills paid by the insurer of the jerk who hit you. If the jerk has no insurance/then yr insruer will amke sure he spends the rest of his days paying off yr medical bills.

DO NOT *EVEN* FUCK AROUND WITH YOUR CAR INSURANCE, DAVE! The hell w/what it can do to yr credit -- you've got a kid to think of.

By dave. on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 09:32 am:

i mave medical through work. which, by the way, i HAVE to buy. if a hospital won't fix someone up because the person has no funds, they're evil. if you're ok with that, you have some problems. the thing that seals the deal for me is that these companies are in it for the profit and i HAVE to buy their shit. traffic cops are really profit margin protectors, paid for by public funds. they're out there to make sure people are wearing their seatbelt and holding an insurance card. pull you over for a cracked windshield, ticket you for no insurance, oh but they'll let you slide on the windshield, they got what they were really after.

i've never made a car insurance claim. i rarely go to the doctor, like twice in the last 15 years. i want my money back.

By patrick on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 11:58 am:

they MAKE you buy health insurance dave? your employer makes you? or the fact that you have peeps to look after "MAKES" you?

I've never been treated badly by my healthcare provider, muchless my car insurance company.

I somewhat understand your POV dave, but you know, there are things worth obsessing over and things not worth obsessing over.

going to the doctor 2 times in 15 years is insane. Dude take advantage of what you are paying for.

considering how much it could have cost IF you had slammed into that brick wall with you and your buds in the car...considering how much emergency room healthcare could cost dave...the premiums you've paid in the last 15 years probably would barely cover a trip to the emergency room.

By dave. on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 01:20 pm:

yes. at this company, i have to either buy health insurance or prove that i'm covered under a separate policy. or work as a temp somewhere else.

the emergency room is prohibitively expensive for the uninsured because the insurance companies make it that way. get it?

i broke my hand in arnold, ca. my hammering hand. couldn't hammer, no job, no insurance. mark twain hospital refused to treat me so i had to drive 90 or so miles to the county hospital in muhfuckin stockton county hospital so they could half-assedly put a cast on the lower arm. it took ALL FUCKING DAY for a 15 minute procedure.

why couldn't mark twain just reach into a cabinet, grab some plaster strips and fix me up? insurance, that's why.

i think it's totally worth obsessing over. much more so than not having a boy or girlfriend or being fat or wishing the acne would clear up.

By patrick on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 01:39 pm:

so you're an advocate for socilaized medicine?

for the most part I am too, BUT i fear a decline in quality with socialized medicine.

i understand, from a business perspective why things are they way they are.

and I also understand the inherent ridiculousness in your situations depicted above dave.

wanna hug?

By droopy on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 02:02 pm:

i do have to say that the money they gouge out of dave is why i'm in a nifty $2500 dollar titanium wheelchair with a $300 butt-cradling cushion.

i love guys for whom "healthcare" means things that can be taken care of in the emergency room.

By dave. on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 02:11 pm:

no, i wanna hog.

it's just that so many people get their tits in a tangle over microsoft and their business practices when that's so trivial compared to this. microsoft is trying to make it so that you can't help but buy their product, not only as a consumer of services that run on ms products but also just flat-out purchase their shit. they buy or take whatever they can to make that a reality. and they get sued for it. nobody dares to tackle the insurance companies for the very same business model. "that's the way it is", they say. "whaddaya gonna do?" they ask rhetorically. maybe sun micro, et al should just give up and let microsoft have their way.

somewhere along the way, business has managed to trick us into thinking we need them when it's the other way around.

By patrick on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 02:13 pm:

by nature thats a success for them.

i think you need a hug dave.

*giggles*

(btw did anyone see the "Butters" episode of South Park the other night? Frackinn chrissakes that was funny)

By The Watcher on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 03:32 pm:

I saw it. It was ver funny.

If you want to talk expensive insurance. Look into a Long Term Care policy.

That's the kind of coverage everybody should have. Because, you can never tell when you would need to be in a nursing home. But, the few insurance companies that have these policies won't sell it to you until you're 45 or fifty. Then it's at least a thousand dollars a year premium. At least!!!

The difference between Microsoft and the Insurance industry is that the insurance companies are in a "regulated" business. Each state has their own Insurance Commissioner that has authority to say what kinds of policies a company can sell and what they can charge for them. They even settle coverage disputes.

By dave. on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 06:03 pm:

ooooh, they're "regulated". i'm sure that means something really special to someone.

WHO REGULATES THE REGULATORS!!??

WHO REGULATES PURE EVIL!!??

By dave. on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 06:53 pm:

i win.

By Antigone on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 12:25 pm:

There are benefits of having insurance.

By heather on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 12:44 pm:

hey kids

people complain about the nhs a lot here. 'free' hospital sounds fun until you have to wait a year for an appointment and you die waiting for treatment- and no one wants to be a doctor in london so they recruit from other countries and end up with language issues. sounds great.

By dave. on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 01:04 pm:

sounds like an hmo.

By dave. on Saturday, December 15, 2001 - 01:37 pm:

ok, this is gonna be my last point.

these institutions essentially have all the power of a taxing authority and yet their business model is profit-driven. i think that, when we are required by law to buy a company's product, the product should have its profitability limited to operating expenses plus maybe 5%, like the government.

so yeah, when it's required, it should be socialized. auto liability rates would be calculated on the previous years claims paid out divided by the number of policyholders plus a few percent. eliminate the shareholders and funds managers' influences. i'd pay 5% of my income if i knew that i and everyone else would get the very best medical care available regardless of their financial status. that means letting the doctors decide treatment and keep the hmo's out of it.

other than that, people can buy whatever insurance they want. insure your cock if you can afford to. that's up to you.

By Czarina on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 05:38 am:

FYI.........a hospital can't refuse to treat someone who is in an emergency situation.They will loose their government funding.

{there is only one hospital that I know of,that is TOTALLY private,and wouldn't have to obey this rule]

What is considered a true medical emergency,in the medical field,is not the same as what a lay person would consider an emergency.

Example: a woman in labor,who is dilated 6 or more cms,cannot be refused admittance.Before 6 cms,she can be sent packing.Birth is not considered imminent.[although,it might be]

AND,of even more signifigance,pre employment checks,are now including checking one's credit history.

By patrick on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 11:37 am:

"when we are required by law to buy a company's product"

you are required by law to buy insurance to drive. driving is a privilege. you don't HAVE to drive.

AAA is a not-for profit insurance agency dave. did you know that? but their rates are not always the most competitive, but you do get reductions and even checks back if claims are less than anticipated.

By dave. on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 11:51 am:

driving is not a fucking privilege. the evil ones tell you that but it's not true.

By patrick on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 11:55 am:

you are saying driving is a right?

you have a right to roam the great plains dave, but HOW you do it, is another matter.

By dave. on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 12:08 pm:

is not.

By dave. on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 02:11 pm:

i win!

By The Watcher on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 02:29 pm:

A right becomes a privilege only when someone wants to take it away from you.

By patrick on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 02:30 pm:

the way i see it, you loose.

your the one with issues. not me bucko.

By Cat on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 02:32 pm:

Dave's loose? I always figured him for the anally retentive type, but there you go.

By patrick on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 02:37 pm:

you know.........

By droopy on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 02:40 pm:

that's what happens when you retain things in your anus for too long - muscles become neurasthenic, sphincters lose that trap-door elasticity

By Cat on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 03:33 pm:

Damn, now I can't join in this conversation any more. It's clearly about fecal matters and I don't do dump or fart conversations.

By patrick on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 03:52 pm:

well ....you brought it there.

By droop on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 04:14 pm:

and who said anything about the things dave retains in his anus being fecal? could be a peanut butter jar, the cat, his head, my....

By patrick on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 04:19 pm:

grocery list, stopwatch, palm pilot, car keys....

By Cat on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 04:34 pm:

It always ends up being about ass. All ass. All the time.

By droop on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 05:24 pm:

toothbrush(america), remote control(will die), bumblebee(but), the one ring(there will), the true cross(always), a lilac scent(be ass)...

By dave. on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 06:06 pm:

if it can be named, it has been, is, or will be in my ass.

from out of my ass curls the very fabric of space/time. smells like double helix.

By Randy Mandy on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 06:29 pm:

Ewwwwwwwwwwww quit it!!!!!!!!!

By Czarina on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 10:03 am:

A clean colon is a receptive colon.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 04:27 pm:

I won't cross this line with a ten foot pole!!!

By Ophelia on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:30 am:

Ok, now that i'm late and the thread has nothing to do with it, i just saw Amelie and loved it.

It was warming, but not corny in the least. and dave, i care not about your insurance nor about your ass, but you really should see the movie if you haven't yet.

I'm going to cut and dye my hair and run around stalking lonely people and spy on neighbors and send dwarves on vacation and be Amelie, so dont you try and stop me.

By sarah on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 01:30 am:

i just got back from seeing Amelie by myself at the theater about a mile away. good distraction. i cried for the first 10 minutes and last five minutes of the film. the rest of the time i was completely charmed. what a sweet story.

they're showing "Scratch" at that theater starting March 22, and "Life & Debt" starting next week. ROCK ON!!!!

By sarah on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 11:54 am:

do you guys remember when it cost $1.75 to see a movie at the theater? i was about six years old. now it costs $7-9, unless you go on cheap night, and then it's $5. that seems so strange.

By semillama on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 01:14 pm:

I remember when I was a teenager, we called
    "Cheap night" Buck Night, because that's what
    it cost.

That was back when people still clapped
    when the movie was over.

speaking of Amelie, I'm going to go see it
    again with Bridget on Thursday.

By moonit on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 01:58 pm:

Used to cost $3.25 here. Now its between $7 (cheap night) to $13.

To cram yourself in an uncomfortable seat with no leg room.

By eri on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 02:10 pm:

We used to have a movie theater called "Dollar Theater". All showings were $1. It didn't play the new releases right away, but did get them as soon as the hype was over. Made for great date nights. Now it is ridiculous wherever you go. I just wait for them to come out on video anymore. The movie has to be something that would lose integrity if it wasn't on the big screen, before I will pay theater dollars to watch it. I am a cheapskate!!!!!!!

By J on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 01:36 am:

We use to have one of those,but now it's $2.00,except on tuesday and it's a dollar fifty.I alway go to the cheap hours movies if it's first run,it use to be 3 bucks,but now it might be 4,can't think well tonight.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact