Bowling for Columbine

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Bowling for Columbine
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 04:42 pm:

"the pen IS mightier than the sword, but you gotta keep the sword handy"

i don't think i'm nuts to say that everyone in North America should see this movie.

Leaving a movie in teary-eyed frustration, but desperate to see it again, says something. The fact that many places in many towns will never show this film is too sad.
    This movie hurts. It is good.

It's 2 hours and 5 minutes of Michael Moore trying to figure out why Americans are so hell bent to shoot and kill each other over 11,000 times a year.

The mixed cast includes him, Charelton Heston, KMart, Marylin Manson, Matt Stone, the creator of COPS, one of Tim McVey's buddies, countless gun crazy rednecks, Toronto, Detriot, Colarado, and three teenagers skipping school outside a Taco Bell in Sarnia, Ontario.

It's a documentary, so there is no 'plot' but some high points include:

-"it's a right to have guns. A RIGHT!"
    mike: "it doesn't say GUNS. It says ARMS"
    "yeah! it's a right to bare arms"
    m: "that could mean any weapon"
    "well then we should be allowed that right."
    m: "you think everyone should be allowed to have a nuclear bomb in their house?"
    "well no, not NUCLEAR bombs. You've gotta regulate. There are some real nuts out there.
    (says one of the Oklahoma city suspects)

-the P.R head from the largest national defence weapon company pondering why the Columbine shooters didn't just talk out their problems with their enemies, or take anger management classes. "Violence isn't the answer".
    He says this in in front of a GIANT, airplane hanger sized missile.

(...cont)

By wisper on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 05:13 pm:

- a media researcher points out that, while crime has been on a steady decline, television reports of violent crimes have gone up several hundred percent. "They want you to be afraid, 24/7. No guns, no ratings."
    (since seeing this Saturday, i've been flipping back and forth between canadian and american news stations, like a hobby. The difference is huge)

-fun trivia
    Gun related deaths per year:
    U.S.A- over 11,000
    Canada- 160
    Britian- 63
    Japan- 35
    No matter what, no one seems to have an answer for this. When asked why these countries have such a different oppinion of guns, especially two countries that share the same border and culture, everyone Mike asks assumed the same things, none of which make sense.
    But i won't say anymore, i want you to see for yourself.

Some parts were funny, most parts were sad, and the whole thing just leaves so many questions. And yeah, some parts were so obviously biased it was icky. But the point remains the same- what the fuck is up with the American people and guns.

I hate that this movie will only preach to the choir. The show was sold out all weekend, and it was obvious that no one there needed to see it. A decent review could be made just by listening to the things people said as they walked out
    "i don't even hate americans anymore now, i just feel sorry for them."
    "do you lock your doors?" "what like.. at night?"
    "i can't believe he didn't punch Charelton Heston in the nuts. That man needs to die."

And the older man who stopped my boyfriend in the lobby to ask about why he was wearing a D.A.R.E shirt "for the irony. It doesn't work, it's drug war bullshit." "Right on, son. I was afraid you worked for them"

only one kind of person will see this.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 07:10 pm:

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 09:03 pm:

That pic makes me imagine Charlton Heston as a sword swallower.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:21 pm:

i love it

By wisper on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 04:31 pm:

i've just been informed that my first posts contain "the most spelling errors i've ever seen you make in your life"

sorry.

see, usually i run any long posts through Word, and fix them with a spell check (SEE what i do for you people?!?!) but i was typing really fast, and without Word in sight.

please forgive me.

and see this movie.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 04:41 pm:

It's still good to see you again, wisper...
    Beside's I definately have no business ever talking about anyone else's spelling errors...

By wisper on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 01:40 pm:

i call it "just part of my charm" :)

and maybe yours too.

By Gee on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:45 am:

I can't wait to see this movie.

but I will. at least until it's out on video.

By semillama on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:20 pm:

i will go this weekend if it is still here.

By spunky on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 09:26 am:

I did not know I had any charm?

By trace on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 09:45 am:

Moore raises a disturbing question: if it's just the guns, stupid, then how come Canadians are not slaughtering themselves the way we are slaughtering ourselves?

By Spider on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 09:58 am:

Do they have the same drug problems in their inner cities as we do?

By dave. on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 10:10 am:

vancouver and victoria have a robust street drug scene.

By dave. on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 10:35 am:

i don't think i've ever used a spell checker other than just seeing how they work. i'm appalled at the examples of poor grammar habits i encounter at work. most of the jobs in the agency require a bachelor's degree. i'm not saying they're stupid, just illiterate. well, some are incredibly stupid. . .fuck, i have to go there now.

By patrick on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 11:32 am:

i think our history as a nation has a lot to do with the perpetuation of violence. how we were born, how we have grown. manifest destiny = ultra violence.

Yeah Spider, as I understand, Toronto and Montreal, like Vancouver, are just as urban & "robust" (bravo dave) as any major American city. I don't think drug abuse is in any way exclusive.

By Spider on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 11:36 am:

I was thinking of the violence over dealers' turfs -- most of the crime in DC is attributed to that.

By patrick on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 11:53 am:

America's drug laws are more harsh no? Its the law that perpetuates the violence. Vancouver has very lax pot laws, as does Montreal as I understand.

By wisper on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 06:15 pm:

we have drug problems, but relaxed laws, and no buillshit "drug war". And free rehab. I've never heard a politician mention drugs as an issue. It's not a political issue here. Like Europe, it's treated as more of a health issue than a criminal offence.

hey patrick! you guessed one of the theories explored in the movie! America's "history of violence".
    But you forget that america and canada's history is the same history up until about 1812. And if a history of violence makes for a more violent society, what about Germany? or China? Almost every nation on earth is formed in volience and war, that's how country borders are formed.
    And america has only had a violent past for a few hundred years. Europe, Asia, everywhere, have existed for thousands of years, and hundreds more wars.

there is no answer.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 12:27 pm:

but see, in particular, America's violent history is notable during the Manifest Destiny expansion from the early 1800s on up until the beginning of the 20th century and right on to today. The American west? Pacific island colonization? Mexico? America has a violent present and history because of this fucked up notion imbedded in our collective hive-minds that we are better than you, and we have some sort of god given right to impose our will upon you.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 12:28 pm:

oh and where's my gold star bitch....

By semillama on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 01:29 pm:

Remember when we bombarded Mexico
    because they wouldn't give our flag a 21-gun
    salute?

By patrick on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 01:47 pm:

honestly?

no.

I dont remember that.

do you?

By semillama on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 03:54 pm:

vaguely. I just came acorss a reference to it
    again. I'd have to look it up on the internet to
    tell you more right now, since the refernce is
    at home. I think it was in the early years of the
    20th century.

By wisper on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 04:07 pm:

* <---gold star

i have my theories, everyone has their theories.

Mine include health care, state division (why is there 50 states? why so many?), and the fact that you can buy alcohol 24 hours a day there.

By semillama on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 05:25 pm:

24 hours a day, except in dry counties and
    townships.

By Nate on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 10:12 pm:

and california.

By Platypus on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 10:27 am:

Maybe in your part of California. Here in Oaktown, they believe in providing liquor 24 hours a day.

Although I remember when I lived closer to the Oregon border, people would cross the border for booze pretty frequently. Astounded that they could walk into any supermarket, any time, and buy all the liquor they wanted...

By patrick on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 12:14 pm:

you cant buy alcohol 24 hours here. In NC you can't buy hard liquor at the state-run ABC stores afer 5pm. You can buy beer and wine at quickie marts until 2pm.

In GA, you can buy anything at stores up until 2pm, except on Sundays, you have to buy your booze at a restaurant or bar.

You can't get booze anywhere in LA after 1:55am.

hmmmmm

Oakland's 24 hour liquor availability and its worsening crime rate.......discuss.

By Nate on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 03:13 pm:

not legally, platy. you can't sell alcohol between 2am and 6am in the state of california.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 10:00 pm:

bryan and i saw it last night.

moore always finds a way to work in the GM plant closing in flint.

i've been to the KMart headquarters in troy, michigan. it's spooky.

By sarah on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 12:11 pm:

you wanna talk about weird liquor laws? texas, man. what a fuckin trip.

for example - you can't order a drink before noon on a sunday, unless you also order food along with it.

all day sundays and no day after 9 p.m. can any store sell liquor.

grocery stores can't sell liquor, only beer and wine.

any store can refuse to sell me liquor because i have an out of state driver's license. shortly after i first moved here i bought over $100 of hard liquor (for a party! no, really!), not only did the merchant asked me if i was with the liquor commission, but they also took down my drivers license number and phone and address and attached it their copy of my receipt.

By kazoo on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 12:24 pm:

In Massachusetts you can't buy alcohol on Sundays in stores, unless you live within a certain distance of the New Hampshire border (maybe RI too, not sure). So, on Sundays packies in Lowell were open but not in Boston. It was so we didn't lose money to New Hampshire.

damn blue laws. there is also law that says if more than 4 or 5 women live alone in a dwelling of some kind it is an illegal brothel. my old-roommate had some friends who were evicted because of this.

By moonit on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 09:12 pm:

In New Zealand you can buy beer and wine from supermarkets and convience stores but only between 8am and 10pm or something.

For the spirits you have to go the the bottle store, which is only open between 10am to 11pm.

Bars stay open to at least two, and sometimes up to six.

We have fortyfour million sheep and not even four million people.

I just threw that in to see if you were paying attention.

By Bigkev on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 06:59 pm:

I watched Michael Moore on Oprah this afternoon..(well not really but it was playing on TV today)
    I can only assume it was a rerun of a previous show, due to the time frame here (they were discussing the Movie)

Its been a long time since i saw the movie, but i have an urge to go rent it....

Very good, and no less meaningful/thought provoking months later..

By spunky on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 12:20 pm:

By Antigone on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 01:22 pm:

I know, spunk. Isn't it tragic when a liberal uses right wing tactics?

By spunky on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 01:31 pm:

????
    What was the last right wing movie you have heard of???
    I am not trying to get into a debate. I am trying to point out that, in my opinion, this man is an entertainer.
    Not a documentarian.

By Antigone on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 01:49 pm:

Talk radio. Fox News.

I'm not debating with you, spunk. That's impossible.

Hey, maybe Moore is an entertainer, as you say. So is Rush. So is Ollie. So is O'Reilley. That's a tactic the right has been taking for the last couple of years: package blatant political messages as "entertainment." So Moore is taking it up. Big fucking deal.

By spunky on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 02:35 pm:

"So is Rush. So is Ollie. So is O'Reilley"

They do not bill themselves as anything does.
    It can be argued that Moore does.
    After all, he does call his works of fiction as "Documentaries".

By patrick on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 02:47 pm:

oh shut up trace.

(read: thats not in defense of Moore. Just reading your stupid conservative nonsense. enough already, its old, its tired, and its primarily garbage that no one here is interested in reading anymore)

By Antigone on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 02:48 pm:

Mega dittos, patrick!

By spunky on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 03:24 pm:

will do

By Rowlf on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 04:16 pm:

Spunky, i think if a 'documentary' supported your views, you would be a little easy on the definition of the word..

just as you seem to be with the defintion of 'terrorist'

By Antigone on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 04:34 pm:

and 'entertainment'

By Antigone on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 04:35 pm:

and 'facts'

and 'truth'

and 'is'

By Margret on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 04:41 pm:

Rush Rulez! Red Barchetta is the best song in the world!

By agatha on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 08:55 pm:

have you seen the movie, spunk? ya oughta.

By eri on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 11:23 pm:

We haven't seen the movie yet. We go to a family operated video rental place and they don't get things quite as quickly. We want to see it but haven't yet.

By semillama on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 10:22 am:

it's worth seeing for Heston's questionable remarks about keeping ethnic groups seperated.

By sarah on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 11:37 am:

yeah, absolutely. the very end of the movie is almost the most disturbing.

i think michael moore's documentaries are equal parts factual reporting, entertainment, and propoganda. they are informative and they give you an alternative explanation for why things happen that we are not offered in standard media, nor are we motivated to learn these things for ourselves. we are lazy and will believe whatever we hear repeated the most.

at least michael moore is putting a little balance back in perspectives. neither side is ever the whole truth. the truth is always somewhere in the middle, and if you buy wholly into either opposing sides, you're doing yourself a disservice.

By Dougie on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 12:11 pm:

"By spunky on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 03:24 pm:
    will do"

I think Spunk has left the building too. Eri, has Spunky also pulled a droopy/Nate/Cat/etc thing?

By patrick on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 12:41 pm:

who cares.

the door swings both ways.

move on.

its weird when the drama starts to unfold.

By eri on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 01:14 pm:

Damn Patrick. Pull the rod out of your ass already. If he reads that, he just might not come back. Words are getting hurtful around here, a bit too much, a bit too often.

I don't know what he is going to do right now. All I know is that he conciders all of you friends and well, he is hearing a lot of "shut up and go away" from you guys, so maybe he just will. I wouldn't blame him. Right now if he said the sky was blue, you guys would tell him it is grey cloud cover and to shut up with his right wing propaganda. Tell him that he doesn't know what truth is. Frankly I am tired of watching it. I wouldn't be suprised if he said fuck you and never came back. But to be honest I don't know what he is going to do.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 01:27 pm:

"Words are getting hurtful around here, a bit too much, a bit too often."

Yep. That's called "karma." Or, in christian terms, "You reap what you sow."

By patrick on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 01:48 pm:

eri...there's no stick in my ass. just spare me the drama, ok?

i dont care it trace comes or goes. theres few here that i actually care if they come or go. people go weeks or months without posting, whatever, they'll be around when they come around. so be it. no problem.

im not going to get all sobby and recite how much im going to miss him and so and so forth. because thats a bunch of shit. i wont miss spunk, but that doesnt mean i mind his presence either.

in fact, this post is getting weird because i know he's reading.

so....if he reads THAT and decides to not come back, whatever, i didnt say anything that he doesnt already know.

By eri on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 02:02 pm:

Antigone....if he is reaping what he is sowing....What the fuck did he say to you that was hurtful? When did he tell you to shut up and leave?

Patrick, I am sorry that you don't really care, or that you think he will be back anyways. If he is done with this place, he is done. He won't be back in 6 months or a year or whatever. But then again, I don't know if he is done yet. I just know I am tired of all of the shit he is getting from people who are so busy judging what he might be thinking but isn't to see what he is actually trying to say. Especially knowing how hard he has tried to understand why you think and say what you do. It tires me out and bores me to no end. It hurts me to see himself trying to justify himself all of the time, he even does it to me now. Like every thought in his head is morally wrong.

It kills me to see that he genuinely cares about your lives and your well being and that of your families, and yet you don't fucking care if you never hear from him again. That hurts.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 02:13 pm:

"from people who are so busy judging what he might be thinking but isn't to see what he is actually trying to say."

No! Thats absolutely ridiculoyus. Eri, your husband is an open book. however, apparently he's doesnt express himself well...which frustrates him just as much as it does those trying to converse. If he's so insistant that we arent understanding him, then maybe its him with the problem, not those of us listening. You have a pretty brilliant audience here.

i think i can speak for everyone that no one has ever tried to put any words in his mouth. there absolutely no point to doing that.

i didnt say i didnt care about your lives. i just dont care if he wants to take a hiatus from the boards. why are you being such a drama queen about it?

god dammit. if you have to proclaim you are leaving as such, just fucking do it.

i swear i gonna kick nates ass for starting this shit. bitch had no reason to actually start a thread to tell us he's leaving.

By sarah on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 02:17 pm:

all of you shut the fuck up. i am so sick and tired of this inane bullshit and negativity.

it could not be more clear who disagrees with whom and why. none of you will convince the other to think a certain way or believe certain things.

let
    it
    go
    already

move on

this constant one-up bullshit is useless and beyond absurd at this point.

and i'm pissed off because it's been beaten to death, there's nothing more to say, and yet you keep doing it, to the point where other people are being driven away in disgust.

please, for the love of mark, can we just all take a fucking pill and get over it already?

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 02:45 pm:

"please, for the love of mark, can we just all take a fucking pill and get over it already?"

No. I will not drop it. As long as I've got the gumption I will point out bullshit whenever I see it.

"What the fuck did he say to you that was hurtful?"

I guess you haven't been reading for the last few years. The daily cut 'n' paste and inane illogical arguments just eventually got to be too much for me.

Besides, the irony of spunky whining about intolerance after advocating the views of intolerant people and being intolerant himself is just too funny.

And don't give me any "point out when spunky has been intolerant" crap, either. Search for it. I'm sure you'll find a "final solution" here or there.

By sarah on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:02 pm:

people spout bullshit on these boards all the time. i used to think it was important to call them on their bullshit, until i realized that all it does it call more attention to the bullshitter, who continues to counter with more inane bullshit. and no matter how many logical and factual sentences i type, they continue to spew more and more nonsensical bullshit.

so basically calling out bullshit has zero effect.

in fact, in has negative effect. it's rocket fuel for the know-it-all bullshitter.

if you ignore the bullshitter, they turn into a negative, bitter whiner and stomp off in a huff and make themselves look like a dimwitted crybaby.

or they stick around and keep posting bullshit to which nobody responds and it goes *plonk*. and maybe, just maybe, if they STILL don't go away, they find something fun and interesting to talk about.

but they'll never be logical. and you'll never win.

By heather on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:02 pm:

his inane arguments were hurtful? i'm sorry
    but that's pathetic

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:05 pm:

Pathetic? Don't call the kettle black, babe.

By sarah on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:10 pm:

heather is not pathetic.

all of you stop being hurtful. if you want to continue to be inane and argumentative, that's your call, your waste of time. but stop being mean, there's absolutely no reason for it.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:10 pm:

Anyway, I never found his arguments hurtful. Sorry I was unclear. Annoying, yes. And after years of being annoyed I tend to get pissed.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:13 pm:

"but stop being mean, there's absolutely no reason for it."

If there's one thing that Nate and spunk have taught me, it's that sometimes it's useful to be mean.

It's especialy useful when it teaches those that are habitually mean what it feels like to be a target.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:21 pm:

Trace has never struck me as being mean. He can be angry and blind and confused and obtuse, but he lacks the snide sneering and the fondness for personal insults that you, Nate, and Patrick employ liberally. So when you call him mean, you're wrong.

By TBone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:22 pm:

If you appoint yourself the task of pointing out bullshit whenever you see it, you'll end up doing nothing else.

What's the point, exactly? Afraid we can't spot it for ourselves?

You'll never convice him, so who are you convincing? If you haven't tought your lesson by now, it's not going to happen.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:24 pm:

Unless you are employing one of the less common definitions of "mean," in which case you would be right.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:25 pm:

Oh yeah, one more thing. Ever hear of the saying, "Do not feed the trolls"? It's good advice.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:32 pm:

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:33 pm:

Yeah. By "mean" I mean "mean."

According to Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) there are 49 ways that sentence could be interpreted.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:34 pm:

patrick, provide us with a username and password for printroom.com and we'll be happy to fuck ourselves...

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:37 pm:

"...he lacks the snide sneering and the fondness for personal insults..."

Yeah, he just cut and pasted the snide and sneering views of others, hiding behind them and saying "oh, I'm just putting these ideas out for discussion."

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:41 pm:

Hey, I agree that that was incredibly annoying. But I don't agree that he was deliberately trying to hurt others, which is *my* definition of mean.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:45 pm:

wha?

no password or username needed. its a public space dude.

besides, i dont wanna fuckmyself.

i think when tiggy, nate and i get smart allecky, we know we're jiving to a certain degree, or so I thought. i've been called an idiot and moron and th elike many times by nate and others here. why trace should be an exception, or why everyone is coming to his defense is a bit beyond me. gotta be a little thicker than that.

uh tiggy....

"Yeah, he just cut and pasted the snide and sneering views of others, hiding behind them and saying "oh, I'm just putting these ideas out for discussion."

did you go out and get a meth habit and not tell us cause this be awfully paranoid.

for the record, i think trace is geniunely a good person. confused as hell, but well-meaning. if he needs to take a hiatus, please do so. you're chair ain't going anywhere.

did all of you make this much noise when you left the class to go take a piss?

no need to announce it, because when you have to announce like that it, its like you're almost asking for people to say "wait...dont go". now i realize trace didnt go right out and announce his departure (like some fucko did) but there's no reason to let get all blown up like this.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:51 pm:

"I don't agree that he was deliberately trying to hurt others..."

Ya know, Spider, I used to think that until the whole "Final Solution" business. For spunk to plead ignorance on the connotations of that phrase while still claiming to be well read and informed led me to believe that he was being deliberate.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:51 pm:

(*psst* Patrick, I get a password prompt, too.)

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:55 pm:

Antigone, I thought he was genuinely ignorant of the implications of "the final solution" and very close-minded when we tried to point out his error -- I didn't sense that he was pretending not to understand. Or, I'll grant you that if he was pretending, it wasn't inspired by malice but by obstinacy, which is an important distinction in my book.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 03:57 pm:

"did you go out and get a meth habit and not tell us cause this be awfully paranoid."

Why so? If I posted links to a subject (or the whole text to an article) and then discussed said subject, you may get the impression that I agreed with those views. If I did that day after day for years, that may reinforce that impression.

I mean, when someone talks about the final solution for the arab problem, then later bemoans the poor state of the white race in America, I get a certain impression of his views. Is that paranoid?

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:04 pm:

Actually, at the end of the day, malice vs. obstinacy is only going to matter to God. On earth, it doesn't make much difference.

Well, I tried.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:06 pm:

oh. sorry. i didnt understand, because it comes right up for me.

nevermind then.

tiggy, like spider, i think trace is terribly confused. to say he deliberately, hide and employed deception...well, thats a bit much.

The phrase "final solution" and its implications were so obviously lost on him.

By semillama on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:07 pm:

I don't htink spunky meant to be mean and hurtful most of the time. However, usually you don't apply the words "traitor" "anti-american" and "evil" to people you consider your friends.

I do think that Patrick tends to be as clueless about how even words on a BBS can hurt others as spunky can be about how "final solution" and "white heritage" will raise a red flag (specifically a red flag with a blue cross on it!). I myself probably took spunky more seriously than I should have. Patrick, you seem to miss that whatever the intent of the words you use, the effect is often different. And if you don;t miss it, you then seem not to care, and that would be kind of callous.

I do want to point out that the last couple of days without any political back and forth have been pretty nice around here.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:09 pm:

i, likewise, don't want to point that sem asked me to keep his visits to the 'whack shack' a secret from kazoo.

By Red Rider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:10 pm:

Lunatic fringe
    I know you're out there
    You're in hiding
    And you hold your meetings
    We can hear you coming
    We know what you're after
    We're wise to you this time
    We won't let you kill the laughter.

Lunatic fringe
    In the twilight's last gleaming
    This is open season
    But you won't get too far
    We know you've got to blame someone
    For your own confusion
    But we're on guard this time
    Against your final solution

We can hear you coming
    (We can hear you coming)
    No you're not going to win this time
    We can hear the footsteps
    (We can hear the footsteps)
    Way out along the walkway
    Lunatic fringe
    We know you're out there
    But in these new dark ages
    There will still be light

An eye for an eye;
    Well before you go under...
    Can you feel the resistance?
    Can you feel the thunder?

By C.C. Rider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:14 pm:

Well now C., C. C. Rider, well now see, see what you have done.
    Well now C., C. C. Rider, well now see, see what you have done.
    Well you made me love you woman, now your man is gone.

So I'm goin' away now baby and I won't be back till fall,
    I'm goin' away now baby and I won't be back till fall,
    Just might find me a good girl might not be comin' back at all.

Well now C., C. C. Rider, see now the moon is shining bright,
    Well now C., C. C. Rider, see now the moon is shining bright,
    Just might find me that good girl and everything would be alright

By TBone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:16 pm:

I have no interest in defending trace.

I'm starting to wonder if the boards need defending though. The same shit over and over and over gets really old. (with the obvious exceptions of "fuck you, you ass", "Fuck the French", Chupacabra, and several others) When that happens, some really rocking people start losing interest. It makes me sad.

Ya know?

The occasional heated discussion is great. Constant, bitter, redundant horse shit isn't so hot.

Eat Hot Fuck

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:16 pm:

Huh?

Well, then....

And I know how it should be
    There is nothing more for you and I
    Some are young and some are free
    But I think I'm goin' blind
    'Cause, I think I'm goin' blind
    And I know how it's to be, yeah
    Little lady, can't you see
    You're so young and so much different than I
    I'm 93, you're sixteen
    Can't you see I'm goin' blind
    You're much younger, can't you see
    There is nothing more for you and I
    I'm 93, you're sixteen
    And I think I'm goin' blind
    Yes, I think I'm goin' blind

By TBone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:20 pm:

You're right, Sem. This is a lot more fun than the Politics.

By Peter Murphy on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:23 pm:

Final Solution
    From
    Should The World Fail To Fall Apart

The girls won't touch me
    Cos I've got a misdirection
    Living at night isn't helping my complexion
    The signs all saying it's a social infection
    A little bit of fun's never been an insurrection

Mamma threw me out till I get some pants that fit
    She just won't approve of my strange kind of wit
    I get so excited, always gotta lose
    Man that send me off
    Let them take the cure

Don't need a cure
    Need a final solution

Buy me a ticket to a sonic reduction
    Guitars gonna sound like a nuclear destruction
    Seems I'm a victim of natural selection
    Meet me on the other side, another direction

Don't need a cure
    Need a final solution

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:28 pm:

OK, about Peter Murphy.....

You know that song in which he sings, "Concur and swallow me"? What is he talking about? I can't believe he would be so unsubtle about oral sex, but....what else could he mean?

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:32 pm:

May I point out that this "terribly confused" man, if he is to be believed, works in the US intelligence community.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:36 pm:

Way to troll, trace.

By semillama on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:48 pm:

"Whack Shack"???

If you are referring to my love of the game of Whack-A-Mole, sir, I stand PROUD.

Otherwise, I would not begin to guess what you refer to.

By heather on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:54 pm:

you got somethin to say to me, fella?

By John Lennon on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:19 pm:

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
    Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
    When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
    Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
    Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
    When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
    Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
    I really love to watch them roll
    No longer riding on the merry-go-round
    I just had to let it go

Ah, people asking questions lost in confusion
    Well I tell them there's no problem, only solutions
    Well they shake their heads and they look at me as if I've lost my mind
    I tell them there's no hurry
    I'm just sitting here doing time

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
    I really love to watch them roll
    No longer riding on the merry-go-round

I just had to let it go
    I just had to let it go
    I just had to let it go

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:25 pm:

This is no less annoying than cutting and pasting inflammatory articles.

Remember when Lucy Phurre had her meltdown? She cut and pasted legal briefings and long streams of nonsense just to irritate people and clog up the boards? Didn't Mark end up banning her IP?

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:26 pm:

McAllen?

By dave. on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:30 pm:

waitaminute. . .

that "peter murphy" song is actually a cover of a pere ubu song.

. . .ok, proceed.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:31 pm:

Is that a question for me? I don't know what McAllen refers to.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:31 pm:

Dave, you have skillfully avoided the meat of my question. So, what's it all about, huh?

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:32 pm:

(I'm having another dumb day today. *sob*)

By patrick on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:33 pm:

By Rowlf on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:46 pm:

"Right now if he said the sky was blue, you guys would tell him it is grey cloud cover and to shut up with his right wing propaganda"

thats funny, because the sky isnt blue.

but anyways, I like spunk, and I wouldnt want him to leave

By Rowlf on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 06:00 pm:

heres one think I'll say about spunk, and only eri could ever tell me if i was right or not.

If I were to meet spunk, face to face, in a bar, and for whatever reason we had to discuss sports, politics, etc. I think I could talk to him, disagree and we'd still get along somewhat. Whatever 'traitor' 'anti-American' whatever he thought might be in his head, but I dont' think he'd tell it to my face. I think its in his character to be completely civil and respectful to FLESH people. If he wasnt that way, I dont think eri would be with him.

By eri on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 06:14 pm:

You nailed him on that one. He might disagree with you and tell you that he disagrees and why. He is easy to get along with in person, but he is pretty much anti-social, living in his cave, not going out and stuff like that. He would probably have to know you (or I would) in order to hang out and have these conversations.

He doesn't go to bars, or talk to strangers, or anything like that, but is civil in person with everyone and generally easy to get along with.

By eri on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 06:19 pm:

He's the quiet, shy type who is always nice to everyone, unless he truly detests you (which takes a lot) and will be honest, but nice all of the time.

He also does a better job of conveying what he is trying to say in person, more than on these boards. It's easier to understand him in person.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 06:20 pm:

You heard her..

I nailed spunk.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 06:26 pm:

Yes, but I doubt you "get him."

By TBone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 06:47 pm:

Not nearly enough people talk to stangers.

By heather on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 06:55 pm:

stangers scare me

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 07:08 pm:

that's pathetic

By dave. on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 07:52 pm:

strangers hate me.

By eri on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 08:07 pm:

Strangers love to talk to me for some reason. Either that or oogle my goodies. I guess I shouldn't let it bug my, but I don't see why me, so it does.

Eri doesn't know a stranger!! Neither do Hayley or Micki. A stranger is a foreign concept to them.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 08:17 pm:

eri, why are you talking about yourself in the third person?

By agatha on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 09:28 pm:

My boobs hurt.

also...

I'm with Sarah.

By heather on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 10:02 pm:

heather is hoping that everyone noticed the
    fun spelling and didn't take her seriously

you all can't get me down, i'm worked up! even
    though sarah never answers my email after
    she gives small amounts of cryptic info.

and i owe agatha email too. to a correct
    address as i never amended that....

By wisper on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 11:53 pm:

"Remember when Lucy Phurre had her meltdown?"

yes.
    oh god yes.
    someone point me back to those threads, what a great show that was.

By J on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 12:05 am:

I thought I had your e-mail addy but I don't Heather,would you mind sending it to me?

By BIGKev on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 01:26 am:

"someone point me back to those threads, what a great show that was."
    I was looking for some of those a couple weeks ago to throw into spunk/patrick debates, just to liven shit up a little, but couldn't find what i wanted..... (couldn't really remember the timeframe...

By agatha on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 01:40 am:

yeah. where's my dang email?

do a search for "sheep," and you might find lucy. then again, you might find sheila.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 10:16 am:

Look for "Antigone is a stalker"

Boy, that was fascinating.

By sarah on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 10:36 am:

dear heather, Queen of Cryptic Emails, i'm sorry. i owe the whole world email right now.

but that said, now you know how it feels :-P

i promise to write before friday. mmmmmwah!

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 10:51 am:

By semillama on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 11:25 am:

ah, memories...

My brother told me last night that Charlton Heston's goddaughter attends the school he teaches at.

it is a Catholic school, and he said that hundreds of little white crosses have appeared on the lawn of the high school as one of those anti-abortion demonstration things. I told him to ask the school admin if they thought that maybe there should be some Stars of David out there too, for diversity. After all, I'm sure Jews have abortions, too, right? He said he might not tell my mom about it before she comes to visit him this week, as a surprise.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 11:29 am:

(You know, I skimmed that whole thread -- quite possibly the longest thread ever created on here -- and I see that Dave pointed out that Pere Ubu, not Peter Murphy, wrote "the Final Solution" in that thread, too.)

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 11:43 am:

"who cares."

I care. If you don't like the people here, or don't care whether they come or go, what's the point in returning to this BBS day after day?

By patrick on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 01:03 pm:

god i dont have the patience to read that (and specifically MY) nonsense.

By Ophelia on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 03:41 pm:

Dougie: yes.

and for all that i often disagreed with spunky, i am sad to see him go. no less than i was sad to see nate go, regardless of the fact that i more often agreed with nate.

and in general, i agree with TBone and Spider and Rowlf and Sem mostly here. you people all said things that made sense to me. sorry, i just dont really feel like creating an original post when it will probably say the same things that everyone else is saying.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 03:44 pm:

Yeah, that's a way to kill an afternoon right there. But I don't know....it was a really ugly affair but kind of exciting, too.

Once in a while, when I wander through old threads, I'll find some of the "YOU ARE ALL SHEEP" fallout.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 03:46 pm:

Oops, didn't see Ophelia's post.

RE: Dougie's point -- in my opinion, you don't have to like everyone to enjoy hanging around here.

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 03:55 pm:

Spider:
    "Actually, at the end of the day, malice vs. obstinacy is only going to matter to God. On earth, it doesn't make much difference."

See, there's where we differ. Given that I don't believe in god, I can't relinquish the responsiblity to respond to him.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 04:11 pm:

But how do you cure an obstinate man of his obstinacy?

Well, you could start with this quote: "Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul." -- Mark Twain

But then what? It's like talking to a wall, or worse, like talking to a tree that thinks it's a wall and will not be convinced otherwise.

What I meant by what you quoted was that whether actions are motivated by malice or obstinacy, they still look the same to you or me. They still cause damage or frustration -- their motivation is only important when you want to judge the man, which (IMO) is God's job and out of my hands. It makes no difference to a dead man whether he was killed on purpose or by accident. So I was taking back my defense.

By Ophelia on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 04:16 pm:

okay, to clarify, not "like" necessarily, but i would say that i care about people here. i guess thats more accurate.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 04:30 pm:

My favorite contribution to that archaic shitstorm:

"Sombunall people who express views similar to Semillama's may be crackpot dumbshits.
    Sombunall people who express views similar to Semillama's may just want to sit every one down with someone like Swine, have that person select some groovy music, and pass around the peace pipe and swear to not resort to sweeping all-inclusive statements in the future that clouds the real problem. "

I'm probably a crackpot dumbshit, after some reflection.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 04:30 pm:

And I forgot to add, sometimes you need to take a break. I figure nate and spunky will come back sometime.

By Ophelia on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 04:34 pm:

okay, to clarify, not "like" necessarily, but i would say that i care about people here. i guess thats more accurate.

and i think i agree with the statement about it not mattering on earth... except that i try to take in into account which means that i am a lot more forgiving than most people understand which confuses me a lot.....

damn, sorry if everything i post is about me. i am lost and trying to understand myself. thats the only explanation i can give, along with apologies for being tiresome.

By Ophelia on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 04:41 pm:

er... i'm not sure how i double-posted just part of that...

confusing.

bleh.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 04:44 pm:

Right, I try to take into account people's motivations when I'm interacting with them in real life, so that I don't write them off as assholes when really they are just suffering from a migraine at the time or something.

I don't want to say anything unkind, so I'm going to stop there.

Don't sweat your supposedly ego-centric posts, Ophelia. :)

By BIGKev on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 04:47 pm:

cunfusing. or just confused? does it really matter?

Its really to bad that people cant just mellow a bit and let shit ride... oh well, it was a good BBS once.... hopefully this stagnant period with evaporate soon....

SO on another topic has anyone heard of this movie FUBAR?

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:16 pm:

"I don't want to say anything unkind, so I'm going to stop there."

Oh, c'mon. Let 'er rip. You're way too unbalanced on the nice side of the force.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:25 pm:

I have a better idea. Slowly read what I wrote in the first paragraph, and then imagine what could follow after that.

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:35 pm:

Naw, darlin'. All ass whuppins must be authentic. No insinuations allowed.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:43 pm:

But...then the whole scope of evil would be open to you, rather than the one or two sentences I could say. Think of the possibilities!

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:47 pm:

Ah, but it wouldn't be your evil, authentic Rhiannon style evil, and that just wouldn't be the same.

Sigh. No evil for me. :(

By Rowlf on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:55 pm:

FUBAR is awesome..

I love the Deaner

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:58 pm:

I'm too much of a gentleman to unleash the evil upon a defenseless target. Besides, I'm not pissed off enough to think of anything clever; I would only disappoint.

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 06:01 pm:

You're a gentleMAN?

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 06:11 pm:

All right, gentlewoman. Sheesh, you know what I meant!

("Lady" ain't the right word, because "the code of the lady" or whatever doesn't place any restrictions on saying nasty things to people, as long as you remain chaste while saying it. I think that's retarded. Gentlemen are called to have all sorts of noble character virtues, while ladies just have to keep their legs closed and mind their table manners.)

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 06:29 pm:

Maybe "gentlemyn" would do it.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

Right on.

By wisper on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:26 pm:

from the large Lucy thread:

By FETIDBEAVER on Wednesday, December 29, 1999 - 02:23 pm:
    FOR THOSE KEEPING TRACK AT HOME THIS POST IS 174 PAGES TO DATE.

(he was really funny. *sniff*)

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:38 pm:

Yeah. Makes you wonder at the wacky narrative we're making here.

By wisper on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:59 pm:

and THIS is the real paydirt. Even skimming it too interesting.
    and a cute pic to boot.

That thread has everything!

p.s. SHE WILL NOT BE SILENCED! BY WHITE MALES!!

By patrick on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 08:18 pm:

holy shit that IS paydirt.

god damn.

apparently though, my filabuster, didnt work.

By Lucy Immortalized on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 08:19 pm:

SCROLL UP!!!!!!

By patrick on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 08:19 pm:

she could very easily become legend fodder around here.

By agatha on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 08:26 pm:

That is an amazing thread. I thought I'd regurgitate this bit, in light of recent events (with dots in honor of naticus):

patrick

i would be proud and i know i have recently stated my position against child birth,personally anyway, but we have been discussing it lately, it's becoming more and more of an appealing idea, emotionally anyway.....i have found myself falling more and more in love with my wife over the last 6 years, and it seems we are reaching a point where this may happen.

i look fondly at parents, especially seeing a father holding his baby, something so big and strong cradling and protecting something so small, fraile, vulnerable and most of all dependent.

AWWWWWWWWW, SOOOOO CUUUUUUUUTE!!

By BIGKev on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 08:30 pm:

WOW... I had forgotten how bad it got sometimes...

what a weirdo, i hope shes happier now, whereever she is..

By patrick on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 08:53 pm:

i saw that agatha. the great thing is, i remember that thread quite well. when wisper said she found a cute picture, i knew exactly which post she was referring too, moreover, i knew i said that somewhere around here.

off subject.

can someone tell me how, a guy, such as myself is not supposed to glance, muchless glare at a heaving womanchest when its right in eye sight merely inches away?

we have a new girl here....i think she's sending signals. not just due to this one incident for that matter. she's been emitting it since she got here. today, she took off her sweater and is wearing a white tee with, apparently, saran wrap for a bra. i mean, i'm seeing arioli folks. the large brown pennies under her shirt. its not like i gots to state either. its not warm in the office, muchless outside. in fact, it seems to me a chick would be cool in this environment, which might explain the protruding nipples. but in fact the temp hasnt changed at all since this morning. so whats the motive? ketchup from lunch on her sweater? maybe.

she HAS to know her tits are totally viewable. girls know these things. on top of that, she knows im the only straight guy in the department that would even be looking and to top it off, she knows im married with child.

how am i not supposed to glare? i dont trust this girl and it IS the workplace. sometimes, id rather take a kick in the nuts and get it over with. when she comes into my office, she being short, her tits are right in my eyeline when she stands next to my desk. why o why o why o why o why is not 5 o clock so i can get the fuck out of here.

By BIGKev on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 09:43 pm:

yeah its a rough life, having women throwing themselvs at you...jeez...

but seriously, make a sexual harasment claim. that'll straighten everything out....hehehehe

By Spider on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 10:41 am:

Have any of your gay coworkers noticed? Maybe they could say something to her about "inappropriate work attire" ?

Also, sometimes temperature or arousal has nothing to do with it....if you're wearing a thin bra, these things just happen.

I would say there's a 98% chance you're right that she knows her shirts are see-through, though, which is entirely under her control. Maybe, MAYBE, she gets dressed in the dark and is clueless, but I doubt it.

By sarah on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 10:53 am:

HEY WAIT ONE MINUTE!

i am the founder of the dots!!

agatha, do you know the history of the dots? it started waaayyyyy back in the day, when mark had that secret live chat thingie set up....

By Spider on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 10:56 am:

*gasp*

Secret live chat thingie??? What? Where? When?

By Antigone on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 11:37 am:

Oh, there are many secrets around here. Don't bother asking. :)

By TBone on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 11:50 am:

I was never in on the secrets... *sigh*

By Antigone on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 12:05 pm:

Hey, man, don't sweat it. I'm only in on one or two, and those were probably manufactured as a distraction from the real truth.

But the truth is out there. Mulder told me...

By Spider on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

Hey, I just found one of my old threads (when I was in a different incarnation) in the thread archive! That's pretty cool. It's here.

The more things change, the more things stay the same, huh?

By Spider on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 12:31 pm:

PS. That email address I link to in the first post is defunct.

By TBone on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 12:52 pm:

Oh, I'm not sweating anything.

I probably would have picked up on a few if my attention span back then had been longer than that of gnat on cocaine.

I rarely had any clue what was going on, even when it was plainly stated.

Speaking of secret sorabji features... at one time, back when the search was broken, I made my own system for searching that would also generate interesting statistics on different posters and would do things like find someone's first post. I think I was also working on a way to cross-reference ip addresses and identify possible multiple-personalities. But I didn't get very far before I lost interest.

By Antigone on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 01:09 pm:

If you do that, make sure and cross reference whois records and the handles used on posts. That makes it easier. :)

By TBone on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 02:28 pm:

I decided that it's more fun not to know.

But if I'm ever tempted again, I'll keep that in mind.

By Spider on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 02:35 pm:

Eh, it's not like people can't tell by the posting style, commonly misspelled words, etc.

This is why I don't think Lucy has ever come back. She left with such anger I think it's unlikely that she could sneak back here and post as if nothing had happened. She would have tried to disrupt the board.

By patrick on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 02:41 pm:

spider i realize temp makes nipples erect, but this wasnt so much about erectness as it was the wet/white tee shirt effect.

im not sure if may gay workers notice or not. its not something i would ask, would you?

kev i wouldn't call her behavior 'throwing herself at me' just something of a weird combination titillation and annoyance.

By Spider on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 02:48 pm:

Well, like I said, she can't control her nipples, but she can control her shirt. It's pretty dang unlikely that she's not aware of the see-throughness, so if it makes you uncomfortable, you (or your boss or her boss) should ask her to put her sweater on or wear another shirt. That simple.

By TBone on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 02:53 pm:

Actually, Spider... The reason I was thinking of doing the check was because I couldn't tell... even when everyone else could.

I must've had shit between my brains.

By J on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 04:51 pm:

I'd say she knows you can see her cans that everyone can and she sounds like some slut that likes a challenge,your married and have a baby lets see how long before he does me and it's probably a challenge with your gay co-workers too.I'm sure some are bi,theres always an office whore somewhere in the building.Advoid her like the plauge,tell her you find her clothes offensive.

By Antigone on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 05:17 pm:

Just don't lick your lips too much while you do it. :)

By Spider on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 05:21 pm:

"theres always an office whore somewhere in the building."

Hmmm, I wonder who my office whore is...

By wisper on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 06:53 pm:

the live chat thing (it was called "smoke" right?)wasn't that great. I went all the time and i only caught anyone (mark) once, for 2min before it crashed or something. It was very slow.
    good idea, but slow.

"I made my own system for searching that would also generate interesting statistics on different posters"

yay!
    You told me once that with your search, the person with the most posts total, out of everyone, ever was.....

*drumroll*

*wait for it!!!***

**guess!!*

nate.

but it was case-sensitive, right? so possibly not nate.
    Let's also not forget the threads that were erased forever a few years ago in a server crash or something, remember? boards were down for a few days? Some of the oldest threads are missing. I know my first few posts ever are gone.

(and thank god for that)

By Antigone on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 07:02 pm:

And that's why I do a daily "wget --mirror http://bbs.sorabji.com/ --include-directories=/strangle/messages/*" to preserve this great treasure.

By wisper on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 07:10 pm:

you're gonna burn it all onto CDs and send it out to us for x-mas this year, RIGHT?
    with yearly updates?

i have a box set of every National Geographic ever published, on cd-rom. The knowledge of the Sorabji archives will render it pale in comparison.
    And also takeover it's fancy wooden display box!

By Antigone on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 07:16 pm:

I can do that if you want, wisper. I could even tar.gz it up onto a business card CD and you can carry sorabji in your pocket wherever you go!

By wisper on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 07:21 pm:

holy fuck

By wisper on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 07:34 pm:

finally, something to be buried with.

By TBone on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 07:51 pm:

I used to keep a personal copy up-to-date as well...

Distributing a neatly parsed-out, searchable version of some decided snapshot moment could be pretty cool.

By wisper on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 11:57 pm:

so how big is the whole thing, Anti? or should i ask Mark?
    would it all fit on just one cdr? how depressing would that be.

By TBone on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 10:19 am:

Looks to be about 137M, so it would easily fit on one cd several times over.

At least, that's what I ended up with.

But we're talking about text here. That's a whole stinkin' mess of text.

I've got a collection of well over a thousand full novels in text format, and they just fill a cd.

By Antigone on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 12:55 pm:

By Spider on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 01:11 pm:

That's where the band Machines of Loving Grace got their name.

How do you find these things? Is there a directory or something?

By Antigone on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 01:14 pm:

robots.txt is a standard file that web crawlers look for. It tells them what files they can download and what files they're not allowed to touch. At the bottom of mark's robots.txt you'll see a file that's denied. Don't look at it from work. :)

By spunky on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 03:06 pm:

i was wondering if you saw that....

By Spider on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 03:13 pm:

This is synchronicity -- I just saw robots.txt mentioned on another website. I have never heard of it before, and now I see it twice in one day.

It's like the phrase "a priori" -- I had never heard it or seen it in my life, and then all of a sudden I saw it everywhere. (And not because I was taking philosophy classes.)

By Antigone on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 03:29 pm:

Saw what, spunk-o-matic?

By spunky on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 03:37 pm:

the porn page, ain't-gone

By wisper on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 06:50 pm:

sometimes he changes the robot.txt, someone linked it a while ago. last time i saw it it had something like "do the funky robot" written over and over.

and i know i should keep this to myself, but there's a naked lady hidden in the WAYD page. INSIDE it. Hint hint.
    See if you can find her.

mark and his website easter eggs!

By TBone on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 02:39 am:

I always got a kick out of the secret nakey lady.

By wisper on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 10:00 pm:

to look busy at the office job (i'm glad every day i'm no longer in an office job!) i used to just pull up the code of whatever website i was wasting time at, and pretend to be working on it........Mark Thomas, you almost got me in a whole heap of trouble.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 07:43 pm:

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 07:53 pm:

oh, and what i mean by that is while BFC for the most part only divided people more, this one could actually win peoples opinion over, which would annoy people with opposing viewpoints tenfold times over

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact