Adaptation (a.k.a HOLY SHIT)

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Adaptation (a.k.a HOLY SHIT)
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 08:34 pm:

And it's still blowing my mind 24 hours later.

You may think what i'm about to tell you has spoilers, but really, it doesn't. Because even if you know some of the little secrets, it has no chance AT ALL of ruining the movie for you. It only makes it better. Nothing can ruin this movie. This could be the best of the year.

What really happened is, Charlie Kaufman, the guy who wrote Being John Malkovich was asked to write the screenply for a book called The Orchid Thief.

But it's not a very adaptable story, and he almost went mad doing it, and so instead he wrote a movie about himself and all the shit he's going through while trying to write the screenplay. The movie also has cut-ins of parts from the Orchid Thief movie he's trying to write, with Meryl Streep as the main character.

But he couldn't finish that screenplay either.

So he made up a jackass twin for himself, Donald, and gets HIM to write the ending for him. His twin is a hack new screenwriter (the exact opposite of Charlie) who's just finished a typical hollywood psycho/thriller script with every plot cliche ever done: "It's Silence of the Lambs meets Psycho!" It's too true and painfull just hearing his continuing desciptions of the plot he's come up with, while Charlie is killing himself to make an honest intellegent film.
    He can't sleep. He starts stalking the book's author. He becomes obsessed with orchids. His agent demands a script by monday. Everything goes crazy. And then the last 20min of the movie are a tacked-on piece of trash ending ....ON PURPOSE, filled with sex/drugs/guns/blood and a car chase. It is hillarious, Donald's hollywood ending. The most predictable garbage ending. And it's perfect. It's so perfect. Everything.

This is movie that fucks and toys with everyone in it and everyone watching it. It's a brilliant game of a movie, and so enjoyable. Charlie Kaufman is amazing, both himself and his fake brother and Nick Cage. It has so many parts, and so many ways to look at it. It makes fun of itself as it goes along. It could just be Charlie Kaufman's new crazy movie, or him saying that he tries to make good movies, but he understands how crap sells too. Or you could take it as a giant FUCK YOU to writers. Whatever. It's just great. It's 3 movies melted into one, and it's so damn good.

All i can think about it what Susan Orlean (the author of The Orchid Thief) thought when THIS landed on her desk as the film version of her book. Which i now have to read. Damn.

go read some other reviews or something, it's so had to descibe. I got drunk off this movie.

By Nate on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 11:50 pm:

i'll read this later.

i've been waiting for this one to hit more theaters.

By Nate on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 12:43 pm:

well, i had exactly the opposite feelings about the crappy third act. i think it ruined the movie.

poop. very disappointed.

i saw what was happening and i just didn't want it to go that way. what a cop out. i wanted his character to regain his integrity somehow. blah. bullshit ending.

i retain high hopes for the gong show/cia movie. don't fuck up charlie.

By wisper on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 06:01 pm:

oh come ON nate!
    the crocodiles!!!!!

it was the two kinds of movies i love most, put together! the wicked crazy sad and the so-bad-it's-funny!

yaaaaaaay!!!

By Nate on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 09:51 pm:

see, in the script the crocodiles were a swamp monster. that would have pushed it over into the edge of so-bad-it's-funny.

i still would have been disappointed, but less so.

By Gee on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 06:46 pm:

wisper, did you read the book yet?

By wisper on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 08:56 pm:

nooo.

But i did just finish 'the rules of attraction' book, which is just as good as the movie.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact