X Men 2

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: X Men 2
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 11:19 pm:

wowsers.
    i can't stop babbeling about it, i'm giddy.
    it was SO GOOD. Fuck the 1st one, good. Don't know if i could watch the first one again good.

and Storm was watchable! and Nighcrawler was amazing and funny! and Pyro blew shit up! and Logan sliced and diced more guys than i can count!

and it was an actual rollercoaster ride, for real. I actually cared about the charaters and my heart was really going a couple times. That's never happened before. And their was real tension and some really great parts and moments that i'm dying to talk about but can't because it will ruin things, goddamnit, but it was really really good, better than Spiderman or anything like that.
    But honestly their was tension that you could feel, and some parts with one tragic character that were extremely sad and also creepy as hell.
    How did they get emotions out of me in a comic book movie?
    People were clapping all the time. Most of a action scenes were wicked and not overdone like usual.
    So many characters, all so good! Mystique wasn't a side character anymore, she was there all the time, really strong n all that. Pyro was great to watch and etc. etc.
    And the teasing of other characters for later was unfair, but necissary.

I'm trying to shut up now.

yeah!

By wisper on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 11:22 pm:

oh, they also showed the trailer for 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'.

By spunky on Saturday, May 3, 2003 - 10:58 am:

i am jealous

By Antigone on Saturday, May 3, 2003 - 02:13 pm:

I saw it last night, too.

wisper, did you catch all of the foreshadowing of the next movie?

By Rowlf on Saturday, May 3, 2003 - 05:56 pm:

shoosh tiggy, you'll spoil it for everyone else

By wisper on Saturday, May 3, 2003 - 06:00 pm:

i only caught the foreshadowing of things that were in the original cartoon show. heh. (Best themesong ever!)
    And things i knew from my comic nerd housemate, i'm sure he'll tell me way more than i want to know.

He's why i already know so much about League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which seems exciting to me already, although i could already find major flaws just in the trailer.
    what a wicked book.

By dave. on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 02:31 am:

we saw it tonight. nightcrawler was awesome, even though the bampf was more like a foomp. the tats were a nice touch. lady deathstrike was cool. i wish colossus had a bigger part and banshee was a dude so who was that screaming girl? where was the beast?

the story was predictably disappointing hollywood fare. i still hate movie theaters, especially sold out theaters.

it was good.

By Rowlf on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 11:45 am:

SPOILERS

the screaming girl is Siryn

Beast doesnt appear in his blue hairy form, but he is on TV discussing mutants with his real name "Hank McCoy" on screen...

Gambit also does a fake cameo, as on Strykers database, when the screen freezes for a couple seconds you can see "Remy LeBeau", which is Gambits real name

By Spider on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 09:28 am:

So....you think Gambit will be in the next movie? Any sign or rumor of Psylocke?

I haven't seen X2 yet...I'll try to this week.

By dave. on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 11:30 am:

i thought i saw shadowcat, too.

By wisper on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 01:02 pm:

yes, she fell through her bed in the raid.
    You also saw Jubilee twice this time and once in the first one, but she never does anything.

By Spider on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 12:02 pm:

I have seen the future!!

Well, no, but I saw X2 this weekend. Awesome. The opening sequence with Nightcrawler was indescribably cool. Loved the brimstone.

I'm still not 100% sold on Ian McKellan as Magneto. Magneto is supposed to be really tall, really muscular, snow-white-haired (yeah yeah yeah...I know it's a comic)....simply radiant with physical power and intimidation. IM is just too slight a figure. True, they make him display his badass skills with great confidence and ruthlessness, which goes a long way, but...still, you know? Magneto is my favorite Marvel character ever, and I want him to be translated to the screen as best as possible. (Though I did give up reading the comics around 1994 or so, so I've missed a lot of character changes. Supposedly, he became good, hooked up with Rogue, had a child with her, and is now dead. Whaaaa-?? If that's true, I'm glad I quit when I did.)

So, clearly the Phoenix saga will be the main story of the next movie. I wonder how much detail the movie will get into.

When is Rogue going to meet Ms. Marvel to steal her powers? Is the Mystique-Nightcrawler-Rogue familial connection ever going to be mentioned? Will the Hellfire Club show up? WILL WE GET TO SEE GAMBIT AND PSYLOCKE? So many questions.

By spunky on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 12:04 pm:

dammit
    I am going to be the last sorabjiite that wants to see this movie who actually gets to see it....

By wisper on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 12:17 pm:

what's the freakin hold up?

By spunky on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 12:22 pm:

gotta get someone to watch the kids, mostly.
    Besides, I think the last movie Eri and I went to see (lotr The Two Towers) was one for me.
    It's eri's turn

By semillama on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 12:22 pm:

The Colossus scene was fantastic. Pretty good all around, i thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked the dynamics between characters - not as much as I would have liked, but they probably couldn't do much more without radically increasing the length of the film!

One more marvel cameo: Also in the database scene, on the screen where there was a folder for Cerebro, there was also a folder for "Franklin Richards" who is the (mutant?) son of Reed and Susan Richards of the Fantastic Four.

Was Stan Lee in this one? I forgot to check out the extras.

The next movie should be pretty good, if one of the main plots is an adaptation of the Phoenix saga.

my only complaints were the missing Sabretooth and Toad. Especially Toad - he was my favorite from the first movie. It would have been especially cool to see a fight scene between Toad and Nightcrawler!

By Spider on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

I totally dig Sabretooth. I hope he comes back!

I didn't notice a Stan Lee cameo....but did you see Dr. Hank McCoy on the TV?

By semillama on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 02:33 pm:

yep

By Rowlf on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 04:19 pm:

By Spider on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 04:29 pm:

I didn't see Sebastian Shaw....guess I'd better see the movie again. :)

I would be really, REALLY excited if the Hellfire Club was in the next movie. They, uh, r0x0r.

Damn, now I want to run home and dig up all my old comics.

My brother used to have this 4-volume set of these books that were basically encyclopedias of every Marvel character created up to that point (1990?). On each page was a picture of the character, all their stats, their bio, their storylines, which series they appeared in, etc. etc. I wonder if the books are still at home, or if my brother sold them. He sold his huge collection of Wolverine comics last year, the goof.

By Spider on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 04:35 pm:

One more thing -- have any of you (Sem, Rowlf?) read Chris Claremont's graphic novel, "God Loves, Men Kill"?

By Antigone on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 04:40 pm:

You collect X-men, Rhiannon? I've got all of them from #138 through about 1994, when I stopped collecting everything.

By Spider on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 04:51 pm:

Hey, I stopped reading them around 1994, too! I read from about 1990 - 1994. I remember the Omega Red/X-ecutioner's song/Legacy virus business featured prominently in what I read at the time.

My brother collected the comics (Uncanny X-Men, New X-Men, Wolverine, X-Factor, ummmmm, various other titles -- some X-Men spinoffs -- that I didn't read...) and I read them. I myself bought and still own New X-Men #1-5, Defenders #16 (I think) and X-Men Unlimited #2 -- that's it. I used to read Darkhorse Comics' Madman series, too, but I don't know what I did with my issues.

I was primarily a Magneto fan -- I love dark grey characters like him -- and if he wasn't involved in a storyline, I wasn't very interested.

By Margret on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 05:00 pm:

I collected them too, though I stopped mid-college.
    X-Men (Ok, New Mutants) made me love the Del Tha Funkee Homosapien's piece with J. Mascis on the Judgment Night sound track...
    '...like Kitty Pryde, city wide...'
    Haven't seen the movie yet. Was waiting for payday.

By Spider on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 05:13 pm:

I'm sorry, I have misled you. I didn't read the New X-Men, I read the new X-Men. Starting in 1990 or '91, Chris Claremont and Jim Lee worked on a new X-title called simply X-Men, which began with the Omega Red storyline. That's what I read.

Then there was the Uncanny X-Men, which had issues numbering in the hundreds when I started reading -- Antigone, this is what you're talking about, right?

By Rowlf on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 05:14 pm:

I actually dont pay much attention to comics

By Spider on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 05:15 pm:

(Sorry, I'm stupid today. There is a discrete title called "The New X-Men," written by Grant Morrison. I did not read this. I read Chris Claremont's new "X-Men." Okay. I will say no more.)

By Antigone on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 05:23 pm:

Yeah, Uncanny. That's where I started, around Uncanny #138 and the New Mutants graphic novel.

By semillama on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 05:30 pm:

I've been reading the main "X-titles" since about 1990. So, Uncanny X-men, which is still around. Then there was X-men, which turned into New X-men. And then recently, there is X-treme X-men. I also read the wolverine titles. I don't really get into the other x-men spin offs, there are too many, but I read the three above because they follow the main group of x-men, split into three teams. I also read the Universe X titles, which began as Earth X and is now Paradise X - an itneresting plot line set in the future, after EVERYBODY mutates. it's far too complicated to even begin to explain. I also read the miniseries, Truth, which is about how the US govt experimented on black soldiers in WWII, as part of the effort to create a supersoldier. The idea behind it was that similar to Tuskegee, black soldiers were unwillingly volunteered as guinea pigs to test the serum that eventually produced Captain America. It's a really good series.

Lately, I've gotten into Usagi Yojimbo, which is on e of the best written comics I've read. I've also started reading the Cerebus collections, whcih are also fantastic. And pretty much anything Warren Ellis does is gold.

By Spider on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 05:41 pm:

My brother likes Usagi Yojimbo! What a small world. (Dammit, he should post here....but....nahhh.)

Sem, what do you know about the Age of Apocalypse saga? (Magneto heading the X-Men, having a baby with Rogue, all that stuff.) I've overheard fragments of conversation about it, but I haven't actually seen any of the issues involved and I'm very curious....

By Spider on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 01:27 pm:

When I went home this weekend, I found that had saved (New) X-Men issues #1-23 and the Wizard Comics magazine from 2000(?) highlighting the first X-Men movie. Pretty sweet.

I tried going to the Wizard site (http://www.wizardworld.com) to see if last month's issue involved X-Men 2, but the site is down. :(

By semillama on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 02:02 pm:

The Age of apocalypse storyline, if i remember right, is about the X-men being sent into a possible future where the people like Stryker in the movie win, and mutants are hunted down and put in concentration camps and such. Pretty grim, lots of character deaths and such, but since it's an alternate timeline, they can do that stuff. I liked it.

By Spider on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 02:12 pm:

Wow, that sounds cool. Was it part of the Uncanny X-Men run, or did it involve other series?

By spunky on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 02:26 pm:

I am looking forward to this

By Spider on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 02:34 pm:

I saw the preview for that -- it looks pretty dang cool. Unless all the cool bits were used up in the trailer. Anyway, I'll be seeing it.

By semillama on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 05:24 pm:

The League of Extraordinary Gentleman is a pretty good series - iread the trade paperback of the first few issues recently. I believe that Dorian Gray and Tom Sawyer are additions for the movie version and not in the series. The Invisible Man is a right Bastard.

Spider, you might try looking for a trade paperback of the Age of Apocalypse, but I think it did span a couple titles. I'll check Wednesday when I get my weekly fix of sequential art.

By kazoo on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 09:03 am:

I loved the movie. And like dave. I really hate crowded movie theatres, and we almost had the place to ourselves. Of course, we had to sit behind the most irritating woman in the world who would announce who was who at ever turn.

I saw the first X men movie just a few days earlier and went to bed thinking about mutants and had a nightmare about a mutant being stuck to the outside of the window (it was the blades on the window fan) and secretly decided I wanted to start reading the X men comics and when sem was at work started reading the book that he had that was in his office and, like all other comic books it gave me a headache and I could only read a few pages at a time before I just started skipping ahead and reading a few panels here and there and then reading backwards (which is how I read magazines) and so I don't think it's for me.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 10:15 am:

Wait, was that all part of your dream, or did you read the comics in real life?

I think I had a dream about mutants this morning -- very fuzzy, though.

I read my (New) X-Men #1-5 last night, and there were a whole lot of panels I don't think I had ever read before. I must have just looked at the pictures much of the time.

On the other hand....yesterday, I found a thread around here in which I discussed Par Lagerkvist's "The Dwarf," which I have no recollection of reading at all, so clearly my memory isn't to be trusted.

By kazoo on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 10:19 am:

The part about reading the comics was real.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact