Lost in Translation

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Lost in Translation
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 09:44 am:

I hereby declare that Lost in Translation is mandatory viewing for all who read this message.

Open your newspaper, find the closest theatre it's playing at, and go. Tonight, if possible.

You can see it alone, with a date, with friends, with a spouse you don't love, with people you hate. It doesn't matter. You will enjoy the experience.

Go.

By TnoBe on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:53 am:

The paomnnehil pweor of the hmuan mnid.
    Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

By TBone on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:55 am:

I think I'll go see it tonight.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:59 am:

I've caved, and I'm going to tell you about one lovely, subtle moment which captures the feel of the film in one image.

Bob and Charlotte are lying on his bed and talking. There's a reserve between them that keeps it from being sexual, and also an awareness of the age difference between them and the difference in life experiences and the fact that they're both married. But there is a tension between them, because they have connected in a way that's not apparent in their individual marriages, and they're both floating in their own lives and lonely. Charlotte is lying curled up on her side, and her foot is near Bob's hand. While they're talking, he moves his hand and touches her foot with his fingertips, and it's a small gesture, but it's huge, too.

Please. See the movie.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:10 am:

Ack, if I didn't have to shop for goods to sustain me during Isabel's visit, I would see the movie again tonight.

The ending is perfect.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:12 am:

Ack, if I didn't have to shop for goods to sustain me during Isabel's visit, I would see the movie again tonight.

The ending is perfect.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

Ack if i could get your ass to sit with Eva and clean the house for my mother-in-laws overnight visit tomorrow i would go see the movie.

i skipped your synopsis, for no other reason than the fact that you hyped so well in the post prior.

By semillama on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:42 pm:

this looks like an outstanding movie. I need to check the listings, but I think I want to see this with Kazu. (originally I wanted to see the new movie with The Rock with her, because it looks like a total riot, but now I really want to see this one with her. Besides, I am sick of going to see really good movies without her).

By Spider on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

It's hardly a synopsis. :) I just described a 5 second shot.

Somehow you must see this movie. Can you get a babysitter this weekend?

By Spider on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:48 pm:

See it alone, and then see it again with Kazoo. Concurrently, Kazoo should see it alone, and then see it with you.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:24 pm:

i dunno spider, i got all kinds of wacky shit going on these days.

on top of a manic personal life, nico just got back from japan and it looks like the license deal will be signed in Jan. so we have a ton of work to do.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:39 pm:

Great Salon article about the movie.

Charlotte and Bob fall together and pull away; their tentative movements connect smoothly to form the rhythm of the movie, and it's like the rocking of waves. One sleepless night, they lie awake on the same bed, chastely, fully clothed, talking. Charlotte's husband has gone off for a few days to shoot a rock band in a nearby city. They talk of things that are simultaneously ordinary and gargantuan: Marriage, children, making a living. Bob lies on his back, his body a straight line; Charlotte lies alongside, curled up and facing him, her toes just touching his leg, as if that one small connection point meant everything.

It's a visual hint of the picture's quiet but devastating conclusion -- a moment between characters that's so private, we're not even allowed inside it. But we can see their faces, which tell us all we need to know. In that instant, Coppola and her actors redefine the meaning of the word "lover" -- a lover, we realize, is anyone who loves. The connection between Bob and Charlotte, as Coppola shows it to us at the end of "Lost in Translation," is a moment of intimate magnificence. I have never seen anything quite like it, in any movie.

By wisper on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 07:30 pm:

i fear anything Sofia Coppola does after how bad "the Virgin Suicides" was.

tell me this was totally different?

By Spider on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 09:42 am:

I didn't see the Virgin Suicides, so I can't make a personal comment, but I've read a number of reviews that say Lost in Translation is better.

I saw it again last night. It was interesting because the first audience I saw it with was nearly silent (except for this old couple next to me who wouldn't stop talking), and last night people laughed at everything.

By TBone on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:15 pm:

Does the movie open earlier where you are? Release date is the 19th. I wanted to see it last night, but I can't until Friday.

By TBone on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:17 pm:

Ah. Nevermind. Limited release is September 12. Or something. Weirdo movie industry.

By Spider on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 01:07 pm:

I commend you on your attempt to see the movie.

Please see it on Friday! I'm dying to talk about it with someone.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:09 pm:

last night I saw American Splendor. it was amazing, but it was also annoying. I'd recommend waiting for it to hit video so you can take rests through it. you'll need it, all the characters are more neurotic than most people can deal with in one sitting...

I also have reservations about LIT. Reading reviews for it, they say the same sort of things you heard in the Virgin Suicides reviews... goddamn that movie was garbage.

By Nate on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 08:34 pm:

the virgin suicides is an excellent film. i don't know what your problems are.

and so was lost in translation.

i knew that scene was the one you were talking about when i saw it, spider. i stopped reading your post when i saw you were about to reveal something. but when i saw the scene i knew.

bill murray is incredible. i wonder how much of it was manufactured situation with bill murray improving. like the photo session.

i think soffia is a step ahead of her father.

By Rowlf on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

well with the crap FFC is doing now how could she not be?

i didnt know bill murray was a part of it. thats a good sign...

with virgin suicides i got a story that was too simple for my tastes, with no surprises. the characters don't act with any sort of reason and thusly remain completely undeveloped. they dont even attempt to explain why they're doing anything. quite frankly, the whole movie is so uneventful and the mystery is so uninteresting and James Woods is so stereotypically boring that I dont remember any plot points at all anymore. I forget just about everything. I remember the directing style being incredibly pretentious.

the only people I know who liked it have read the book first.

By Nate on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:58 pm:

i never read the book.

i thought the movie was beautiful. plot or no plot.

By Spider on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:23 am:

Nate, it warms my heart that you enjoyed and appreciated Lost in Translation.

Rowlf, this movie also has a very simple plot, but the characters are so realistic, behaving and talking like real people and not characters, that you're carried along by your interest in them.

By sarah on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:24 am:

i thought the virgin suicides movie version was especially good considering that i did read the book first and still enjoyed the movie. thought they did an excellent job. usually the movie ruins it when i've already read the book.

By kazu on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 04:56 pm:

I thought Lost in Translation was boring. It wasn't horrible, but I don't have anything good to say about it either. It might have been better if Bill Murray wasn't in it, simply because I thought it was an enormous waste of his talent.

After about the first half-hour I really just wanted it to be over. I don't understand what is so special about it at all.

The only reason Sophia Coppola is a director is because of her father. I didn't like the Virgin Suicides that much either...same thing, it wasn't horrible, I just didn't have anything good to say about it either.

I have to stop thinking about it now, because I am going to start liking it less and less.

By semillama on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 05:09 pm:

(if you really liked this movie, you shouldn't read this post because I didn't and I am going to be blunt about it)

I agree with Kazu. I just don't see what everyone else liked about this movie. It seemed to me that Coppola had a good idea of what she wanted to do with the movie, but fell way short of actually doing it. After a while, it was like Kazu said, you know, we get the point. How many shots did we need of Charlotte staring blankly out her window? ehn. It made me really wish we had gone to see a good movie like American Splendor instead. I was very disappointed by this film and wouldn't recommend seeing it, really. I guess perhaps if you are in a situation that you would relate to the characters, then maybe your opinion would be different...but if you aren't lonely and drifting, there's no point in seeing this movie. That's my opinion anyway.

I admit, Murray was good, but he was really limited by the script. It sort of started good, but it just drifted along until Murray's character had to leave. I just couldn't give two tugs of a dead dog's cock about these two people, because Coppola failed to give me any reason to, and that's a failure as both a director and writer. Murray was at least watchable, but you felt sort of bad for him. You could almost tell that he wanted to do more with the character, but was held back. If he wasn't in the movie, I doubt anyone would have had any interest in going to see it in the first place.

At least one person near us fell asleep during the movie. I know it made me want to take a nap. If the characters were in need of sleep so bad, they should have been able to watch this movie.

Plus, the movie theater smelled like a rest home. Ick.

I want my two hours back.

By Nate on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 06:59 pm:

to say soffia is only a director because of her father is fine, her father's outfit produced both of her movies.

but both movies she's directed have been visually beautiful with excellent soundtracks. they are subtle and poetic.

perhaps they are lost on you? which is not meant to be judgemental, but rather just that the movies are not applicable to your character.

because they are certainly not bad movies. just not to your taste.

By semillama on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:57 am:

I thought she was TRYING to be subtle, but it seemed pretty ham fisted to me. Nothing was lost on me with this movie. I felt Coppola could have tried a lot harder. It wasn't a BAD movie. But it sure wasn't a VERY GOOD movie either.

You know, i just couldn't feel sympathetic to a the plight of a character who gets to spend a WEEK IN TOYKO and gets paid $2 MILLION to do so. Oh, poor Bob! Same for Charlotte. She seemed pretty well-off, had a husband who was obviously in love with her, but just seemed to lack the ability to really relate to anyone. I don't know, maybe there WAS more to this movie than what I got out of it, but I guess I missed the handout at the beginning that told you what each character was all about, because you certainly didn't get that from the body of the film.

I do have one good thing to say about the movie: if Coppola was trying to impart a sense of alienation, then the setting of urban Toyko was a good choice; however, it seemed to me to be real close to crossing the line into xenophobia. What I mean is that the Japanese characters seemed to be more there to serve as caricatures of American stereotypes of Japanese people, rather than as portrayls of actual people.

I have to say, I haven't been this let down by a film since the Phantom Menace.

By sarah on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:06 am:

i had lunch w/ glen yesterday and he liked the movie as much as he detested it. i love bill murray, so i'll probably wait til it goes to video. i haven't rented a movie since last winter, but it's coming up again.

bleagh. winter.

it'll be really hard to stay sober through winter.

By semillama on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:16 am:

I don't rent as much as I used to, but this is wholly attributable to the fact that I live near a second-run movie theater. This weekend, the League of Extraordinary Bad Plots/Acting, i mean Gentlemen! 50 cents!

By patrick on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:17 pm:

virgin suicides came on saturday night. nico's seen it. loves it. i decided to give it a go.

i got as far as the girl staking her self.

i just wasnt in the mood for that and found Spaceballs was on, on another channel.

By semillama on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 03:00 pm:

oh man, no contest! I found out through the website that you can arrange a celebrity to call a loved one, which name I forget, that the dude who played the black vulcan on Voyager was in Spaceballs.

Man, I wish that Mel Brooks hadn't lost it.

By Nate on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 04:52 pm:

"had a husband who was obviously in love with her"

the guy was cheating on her. did you watch the same movie?

"Japanese characters seemed to be more there to serve as caricatures of American stereotypes of Japanese people, rather than as portrayls of actual people."

have you been to tokyo, sem? i don't see caricatures of american stereotypes. i see characters that reflect stereotypes (because the stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason.)

sem, a lot was lost on you. money and location do not equate happiness. do you have to have both before you can realize this? i don't know.

the cinematography was gorgeous. it is very well soundtracked. the relationship themes in the movie are ones i understand very well.

bah. i'd talk talk this over coffee but i don't feel like defending the movie here.

plus, your 'no contest' love of spaceballs says a lot.

sarah: the movie is visually superdooper and i am really glad i saw it on the big screen. it is apparently a crapshoot whether you like it or not.

By TBone on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:10 pm:

Now I really really wanna see it so I can weigh in. Stupid theaters.

By Spider on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:29 pm:

Y'all are crazy, except for Nate. Nate speaks wisdom in this thread.

I didn't get that Charlotte's husband was cheating on her -- you mean with the Cameron Diaz character?

By kazu on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:44 pm:

I don't think that Sem implied that money and location automatically makes one happy, just that the characters were so sadly lacking in depth that it was hard to see past their privilged position.

And I never got the impression that Charlotte's husband was cheating on her. In fact, the only emotional moment that I felt was when she woke him up and he pulled her closer, it was the only thing that felt "real" to me. All I got from John was that he worked too much and felt as though his wife didn't give two shits about what he did and who he hung around with. (Which I read is supposed to be something about the whole Coppola/Spike Jonze thing...)

And that stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason is bullshit. That isn't to say that real people do not exhibit stereotypical behavior, but Coppola relied on that get the idea of alienation and strangeness across, rather than try to construct a more complicated picture of Japanese culture. That doesn't always have to be a bad thing, but in this case it just underscored the shallowness of the whole film.

But don't listen to me, I guess I'm just a shallow simpleton for not understanding these relationships.

By Nate on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:46 pm:

yeah. uh, well, except that's anna faris not cameron diaz. that's how i read the scene where they first meet in the lobby. i guess it isn't explicit, now that i think about it. maybe i just read into it something that wasn't there. it could have just been a contrast of where her husband is culturally versus where she is.

i dunno. i'll stand by my impression of implied cheating.

By Antigone on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:47 pm:

I agree with Nate about the movie. Just saw it yesterday. Really good. I liked the use of dramatic uncertainty throughout. Was Charolette's husband cheating on her? Maybe. It was implied, but was uncertain. What did Bill Murry say to Charolette in the end? We'll never know, and I like that.

Oh, and Scarlett Johansson is fucking hot. HOT!

By kazu on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:50 pm:

But she was giving a press conference when he was away taking photos of the band. That doesn't have to mean anything, I suppose. I just think that whole thing was supposed to put them onto different social planes. Like she said in the beginning, she wasn't sure who she married anymore...I don't think it was about loyalty, but more about relating and being able to communicate.

By Antigone on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:51 pm:

"And I never got the impression that Charlotte's husband was cheating on her."

What about when he wanted to go get drinks with the actress, Charolette wanted to go, and he was, like, "Oh, you want to come?"

"That doesn't always have to be a bad thing, but in this case it just underscored the shallowness of the whole film."

But, I think it underscored the shallowness of the characters.

Maybe it underscores your shallowness for not having seen that.

OK, just kidding!! :P

By kazu on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:54 pm:

Different social/cultural levels or whatever...I think he was surprised that she wanted to hang out with someone she had earlier made fun of for having a stupid psuedonym.

99% of all kidding is real.

By semillama on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:57 pm:

I don't get that at all, either. I thought it was obvious that the dude worshipped her. I did get that Bob cheated on his wife, and that we were supposed to be sympathetic to that because he's in a loveless relationship. However, why is it loveless? Is it the wife's fault, or is it something that Bob did? Perhaps he has a habit of cheating on his wife which is why his wife seems to be the way she is after 25 years of marriage. but we'll never know.

I think people are reading too much into it, or are just following what the critics are saying. I guess that's the movie though - it told you so little you had to make up a lot yourself so it made sense.

I don't believe I missed a lot, and I don't believe that it was 'lost' on me either. I'm not an idiot. I love film and I pay attention to subtext. I understood where Coppola was trying to go and what she was trying to get across. I just don't think she did as good a job of it as other people seemed to think she did.
    I also never said money and location equal happiness, but I find it hard to be sympathetic to the characters Coppola put out there. Believe me, I am all too familiar with loneliness, and I just didn't feel the characters pain. It seemed superficial to me, but then perhaps superficial characters have superficial emotions.

I haven't been to Toyko. Have I seen Japanese movies with Japanese characters? Yes. All this movie was lacking was a crowd running away from a guy in a rubber monster suit. To make an analogy, if it were Japanese characters in an American city, you would have seen black criminals in the ghetto and rich white people listening to classic rock. Do I need to go to Toyko to recognize stereotypes? No.

And my recognition of the sheer outstanding goofiness of Spaceballs as a work of sublime enjoyable stupidity and a preference to watching that than FFC's daughter's forays into cinema - that's like saying because I like Ween I am incapable of appreciating Berlioz.

All in all, I would say that from Kazu's and my experience, and a lot of what I've been reading on the web about it, you either love this movie or you were disappointed by it. So if you haven't seen it, wait for it to hit the second-run theaters or the video stores. I sure wish I did.

By Rowlf on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:09 pm:

I'm waiting for it to hit the library. not just video store rental, but library rental. Y'all have scared me away.

Instead, I have turned to renting Six Feet Under Episodes... also saw Moonlight Mile, which is a good movie, a solid 7/10, about grieving people, right until the end when Jake Gyllenhaal's character starts talking too much about life and love. Total cheese.

By Lapis on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:17 pm:

Library movies are the greatest! Usually it's stuff worth watching, and if it isn't, you don't feel stupid for wasting money on it.

By Antigone on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:21 pm:

I think kazu and sem are taking turns shoving the same ten foot pole up their respective asses, in this case.

I'm 99.44% kidding...

By Nate on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:22 pm:

when i said the movie was lost on you, sem, i didn't mean because of your ability to understand it. more that it wasn't a movie for your badmotherfuckermoviewatching self. basically because what you and the zu said implied that those of us who liked the movie are idiots because the movie is bad, instead of the truth of the matter. the movie wasn't to your taste.

do you need to go to tokyo to recognize the stereotypes? no. do you need to go to tokyo to realize that the japanese characters in the movie are not unreasonable, that they are not necessary caricatures, that you could meet any of them? perhaps.

"I don't think that Sem implied that money and location automatically makes one happy, just that the characters were so sadly lacking in depth that it was hard to see past their privilged position."

i didn't see Bob's as a privilged position. he's a washed up actor forced to take whisky ad work to maintain the lifestyle he is locked into by his family. he'd rather be stage acting.

i'm not calling anyone simple or shallow.

christ.

you people.

you drew me into this whole mess simply because i was trying to isolate your opinions from your judgements of the people who enjoyed the movie. i had visions of poor spider crying because you all are calling her a moron for loving the film. you bastards! you and your stinkin group think! it was a good movie just not to your taste! not because you are not shallow or simple!

By kazu on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:27 pm:

Why do you feel the need to insult me? I'm sorry I didn't like the movie, and I will reiterate that I never said it was a BAD movie, I am just trying to point out how it failed ME as a viewer.

By Nate on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:30 pm:

in other news, i'd love to see sem defend spaceballs as sublime.

eh?

By kazu on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:31 pm:

I never said, nor did I imply that anyone was a moron for liking the film. All I said was that I found it boring. It bored me. I was posting MY opinion about the movie...then subsequent opinions about how I felt my opinions were taken.

By Nate on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:32 pm:

and hey! the arguments are getting brutal and this isn't even about politics! and the lines! the lines are all drawn differently! this is lovely!

By kazu on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:35 pm:

As far as being made to feel simple and shallow, that was after you (nate) felt the need to tell me that the movie could still be a good movie even if I didn't like it.

I don't ever need to be told that. I don't think anyone who liked this movie is a moron and I didn't imply that either. If anything, (and I don't even recall posting this, just talking to Shannon about it) I just felt like if perhaps my life/perspective were different, I would have something to relate to, but as it happened, I didn't have that.

By kazu on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:44 pm:

And the whole simpleton/shallow thing was more or less just a nod to my own insecurities. I'll try to be more explicit about that next time.

By heather on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:47 pm:

my problem with the movie is that it reveals
    nothing else, nothing was unexpected.

it was actually very much to my taste, but other
    than being lovely, it didn't do very much.

i agree with what sem was saying about
    stereotypes in that none of the japanese
    characters i remember showed any humanity.
    their roles were boring- 'act like everyone
    thinks you will'. it's only interesting when
    people don't.

in the end it would hardly exist without bill
    murray. the girl was lovely but not
    irreplaceable.

By Platypus on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:57 pm:

Rowlf: I really like six feet under in general.

However, I still think a lot of the female characters are annoying/weak. What think you?

By semillama on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 09:49 am:

I'm sorry if I implied anyone was an idiot for liking this film. I was just personally disappointed by it. How about we say that it's message, while understandable, does not resonate with every one?

I woudl go into how SPaceballs is sublime but I'm all messed up on the cold medicine. well, not too messed up but just enough.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 10:10 am:

Aw. I feel the love!

The movie resonated with me so much because I am Charlotte, right now. I really enjoyed the naturalist dialogue instead of the stilted witty banter you'd expect, and the fact that Bob doesn't impart timeless wisdom a la "tuesdays with Morrie" but is low-keyed and, you know, a regular guy. The two act like people and not like characters. Everything happens just as it would happen in real life. They don't have an affair, as in real life two people like them wouldn't have an affair. Nothing in this movie made me think, "Pffft, like that would ever happen." That's what sets this movie apart from, like, almost every other movie I've ever seen.

Eh, whatever. I'm sorry you guys didn't like it.

By semillama on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 11:10 am:

well, I didn't HATE it. but I expected more. I appreciate what you got out of it though. I guess it's like how some people didn't like "Everything is Illuminated".

I do have one question for you. How did you interpret when Charlotte caught Bob in an infidelity? It seemed to me that she was really hurt that when he chose to cheat on his wife, it wasn't with her.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 11:25 am:

I saw it as her being disappointed with him. I don't think she (at least, consciously) wanted to sleep with him herself, but she was hurt that he was disloyal to the bond between them. The two of them were in this confusing place together...we're all each other has, right?....and then he turns to someone else. I would have felt the same way. She brings up his age -- something like "the two of you must have a lot in common, like growing up in the '50s" -- because she's conscious of how much like a little kid she must look to him, and it embarrasses her. She scowls when he says something like, "Don't you have anyone else to shower you with attention?" because that's not what it's about at all -- she doesn't want attention, she just wants to be the person he turns to, just as he's that person for her.

He did right when, at the end, he ignored the blonde babe to say goodbye to her.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 11:44 am:

That's something else I liked about Charlotte and the decision to make her so -- there's an innocence to her, and I mean that in a good way (I don't mean ignorance or naivete). Maybe "cleanness" would work, too. I get irritated by movies like "Thirteen" and the hype that surrounds them -- like, yeah, this is the secret life of teens....they're so wild and bad-assed and hard. I wasn't like that; I don't relate to that at all. Charlotte wasn't/isn't like that, either, which is why she can lie on a bed next to Bob and have nothing happen, and why the kiss Bob gives her isn't sexually charged. I loved how he then kissed her forehead -- that gesture showed the pure tenderness that he felt toward her....he recognized her cleanness, too.

Actually, I think the word I want is chastity, as understood in its religious meaning. Purity of heart.

By kazu on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:11 pm:

I totally agree with you Spider. This particular movie, just didn't do it for me. My friends went to see Thirteen and I just had no interest in seeing it at all. So I didn't.

I'm finding that, aside from Sem and Shannon (who I haven't watched a movie with in over a year), I don't want to watch movies with anyone anymore. At least, I don't want to watch thoughtful, "important" movies with anyone.

Though I'd go to see a movie with you, Spider, in a heartbeat.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:51 pm:

jesus christ.

stop the horror!

By semillama on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:54 pm:

I find that I am the opposite, in that I don't want to go see horrible movies with anyone. I LIKE seeing horrible movies, such as "Underworld" but I wouldn't want to subject anyone else to them. Hence my planned solo foray to the second-run movie theater to see the League of Extraordinary Blown Potential To Be A Good Movie.

By Antigone on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 01:29 pm:

sem:
    "It seemed to me that she was really hurt that when he chose to cheat on his wife, it wasn't with her."

Yeah, she wanted to bag him. He wanted to bag her too, but held back.

rhi:
    "I loved how he then kissed her forehead -- that gesture showed the pure tenderness that he felt toward her...."

Did you miss that he kissed her on the lips right after that? :)

By Antigone on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 01:31 pm:

What I like about movies like "Lost in Translation," and others that leave a lot unsaid, is that they tell you more about yourself than they do about the characters.

If you're paying attention, that is...

By kazu on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 01:55 pm:

I don't know why Nate yelled at Sem and I for what we were implying when it feels to me like Antigone is deliberately trying to hurt my feelings.

I was paying attention.

And for the most part, I like movies that force me to be reflective. However, I still have to feel something for the characters in order to do so.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 01:56 pm:

1) He kissed her on the lips first. This is what I was referring to with "why the kiss Bob gives her isn't sexually charged." Because it wasn't. Dammit.

2) Kindly do not sully the pristine purity of this movie by saying they wanted to "bag" each other, because they did not. Or if they did, just a little bit, and the strength of that feeling did not come close to the other things that were going on between them. Thank you, and good night.

Kazoo, I seem to recall you saying you despised people who talk during movies, as do I. If this is true, I'm yours.

By semillama on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 02:02 pm:

Hey. It's a movie, not Jesus.

that is all.

By Antigone on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 02:21 pm:

"I was paying attention."

And, are you paying attention now?

By Spider on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 02:21 pm:

It is?

So, in other movie news, I recently saw the brutally excellent and excellently brutal "Bloody Sunday." Forgetting about the subject matter for a second, I have to say I totally get off on movies that are as historically and biographically accurate as humanly possible, especially when you get things like non-actors but real (soldiers, witnesses, public figures, locations) cast.

The movie was first screened by the townspeople of Derry, NI, who had lived through those events, and they said it was as close to reality as you could hope for in a film. The young man playing Gerry Donaghey is the nephew of Jackie Duddy, another young man killed that day. Jackie Duddy's sister is in the scene in the hospital. The old man you hear mourning his son in the scene by the Rossville flats is Alexander Nash, who was wounded that day and whose son William was killed.

The movie is a fist in the face of British government and army, and it's a part of history in its own right, as it was co-produced by Don Mullan, whose book "Eyewitness Bloody Sunday" was the catalyst for the new legal inquiry into the events of that day. You can read all the witness statements, expert testimony, court transcripts, etc here: http://www.bloody-sunday-inquiry.org.uk/index.htm Everything in the film concurs with the statements given by the civilian witnesses, including the scenes showing the RUC planting nail bombs on a dead boy.

I get so riled up about this topic I've half a mind to go to Notre Dame and get a degree in Irish Studies to research it further.

By semillama on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 02:32 pm:

What's your problem, Antigone?

By Antigone on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 02:33 pm:

"However, I still have to feel something for the characters in order to do so."

If so, then you may never reflect on what causes you to have feelings for characters. At least, when you are reflective, you will only be seeing yourself in one state, the state of having feelings.

Why not be reflective all of the time? That way you see the whole picture.

By kazu on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 02:34 pm:

You should do that Spider. You can probably get a fellowship for that and for research abroad.

By Antigone on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 02:35 pm:

No problem.

You make a good knight in shining amour armor, sem. Keep up the good work. :)

By Antigone on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 02:38 pm:

Rhi, have you seen "The Magdalene Sisters" yet?

By Spider on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 03:01 pm:

No, and I didn't want to. I was turned off by the melodramatic previews. I know that it's based on true stories, and conditions in those laundries were pretty harsh.

Dammit, I have a meeting now. Errrrrrr.

By Antigone on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 03:11 pm:

Overall I didn't find it too melodramatic, except for one scene. (Don't want to give it away, though.) But, the subject matter was harsh, so I can see why they went over the top in that case.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 04:37 pm:

I was put off by the booming "THEY WERE IMPRISONED FOR CRIMES THEY DIDN'T COMMIT!!!!" in the trailer.....reality was bad enough, they didn't have to embellish it like that. I'd read girls were sent to those places for being "too pretty" and things of that nature.

By zombiellama on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 05:23 pm:

Plus there were zombie nuns. Right?

By semillama on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 05:50 pm:

On a different tack, speaking of films that address catholicism, has anyone seen Luther yet? It looks good. It sparked some amusing threads on the IMDB.com discussion boards.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 12:32 am:

"However, I still think a lot of the female characters are annoying/weak. What think you? "

I'm only got through 3 episodes so far. Its still a little early for me to say anything just yet...

Though I do find Brenda annoying. Not weak, but annoying. I could see her character going a lot of different ways...

The mom is awesome...

Claire... jurys out. The kid can act, and you can see how her and her mother have a lot in common, but I don't know yet, her character is still really predictable...

if I have any problem with the show right now, its the dad as a recurring character. I like the actor, he's got some good lines, however his use comes across as gimmicky. It feels like I'm watching Ally McBeal whenever he steps in...

By dave. on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 12:40 am:

. . . and everybody need to quit acting hard and shit. before they get'cho ass whooped. . .

By Platypus on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 03:14 am:

brenda is so fucking annoying...i almost want to fast forward through scenes with her. It was getting to the point where I would ask "ok, is there an episode where they are NOT having sex,
    'cause that would be an interesting change."

I got to like Claire more as the season progressed, in the beginning I really thought her chaaracter was shallow and base but she grew a lot over the season. Still not sure I totally groove on here but that's ok.

The mom is...a mom, I guess. I don't know.

I loved the ads in the pilot, I wish they had done that more in the rest of the season. Also like how they open each show with the "body" whom the show centres around. And how they bring up current issues, like gulf war syndrome, homophobia, gang wars, etc, and express them in the episodes.

Anyway.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 09:48 am:

um, which show are you talking about, now?

By Spider on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 09:56 am:

Yeah, and where were you quoting from?

I hadn't heard about Luther...when is it coming out?

By semillama on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 11:41 am:

i believe it's in theaters now. Around here it's actually in the mainstream theaters, which is curious, since it seems like more of an art theater flick and there hasn't been much promotion for it. But I hear Joseph Fiennes does a good job and I'm a sucker for pretty much any period movie.

By Platypus on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 01:06 pm:

Six Feet Under, sems! Six Feet Under!

It's a show about dead people, got to love it. And I wasn't quotin' from nowheres.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 01:20 pm:

i slap the fuck outcha!

By semillama on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 01:22 pm:

I no gotsa Aitcha - BEE-O, capiche?

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 06:33 pm:

"I loved the ads in the pilot, I wish they had done that more in the rest of the season"

Based on the length of the pilot, I'm guessing they got mixed in with commercials???

HOw many more products could they have possibly done???

I"m off now to rent episodes 4-6

gotta see if they payoff on the missing foot.

By wisper on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 07:16 pm:

"However, I still think a lot of the female characters are annoying/weak. What think you? "

didn't you say the same thing about the chicks on the Sopranos?

or was that someone else.

You know why i don't hate Brenda? because she looks EXACTLY like Hedwig. So i can't. I just keep waiting for her to burst out singing about Berlin and gummy bears. Damnit.

By Rowlfe on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:10 pm:

By dave. on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:59 pm:

i really liked this movie.

By TBone on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 12:29 pm:

Me too. I bought it.

By Rowlfe on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 01:51 pm:

By TBone on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 03:03 pm:

Yes, yours is better.

By Dougie on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 08:25 pm:

We rented Lost in Translation and Whalerider this weekend. Probably will end up with $30 in late fees and never watch either one, which is our wont.

By on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:59 pm:

"There is a fine line between genius and insanity.I fell off"

By Spider on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:41 am:

Whalerider is out on DVD now?! Must rent it.

I defy anyone to watch the school pageant scene in without crying freely.

By Spider on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:41 am:

Um, ignore that superfluous "in."

By wisper on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:00 pm:

NO!

By AntigINone on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:28 pm:

IN IN IN IN IN!

By Dougie on Saturday, April 3, 2004 - 06:04 pm:

Watched it, loved it, want to watch it again. Can't post about it now, will post more later. Ta.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact