Kill Bill

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Kill Bill
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Skooter on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 11:33 am:

Went to see it on opening night. I am a huge QT fan, have most of his movies memorized. So let me get that out front ASAP.
    This movie rocked my ass like Bootsey Collins rocks a bassline. Easily one of the most "cult-like" pieces of cinema I have ever seen. Like a cross between "Enter the Dragon and Natural Born Killers."
    Frentic, violent to the extreme, with more blood spurting then I have EVER seen in a movie before.
    Uma Thurman is a blood soake, revenge taking, ass kicking Kali, goddess of death in this film.
    I know I will go see this again in the theater, and see it over and over and over on DVD.
    Funny thing about how when something uncomfortable is presented on screen people tend to either gasp or laugh. You'll see when you check out this movie what I'm talking about.
    Sonny Chiba is the man! The music in this movie (produced by RZA), just fits perfectly.
    I can't wait for volume 2, due in Feb. If this is what female empowerment is about, then count me in. I'd rather see Uma in a yellow, blood soaked jump suit with the sweetest blade, then Ahunld in any one of the movies he's ever made.
    Well...I hope that any of you fellow film geeks enjoy this chopsocky movies as much as I did. But if you have a weak stomach, you might want to take a pass on this one.

By wisper on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 06:59 pm:

i wanna see it again!!

"But if you have a weak stomach, you might want to take a pass on this one."

really? i found the blood and violence to be utterly undisturbing. Like cartoon violence. Thinking back, i can't imagine why it's rated R. PG13 seems fair to me.
    No gore, just fake-ass watery blood.
    Not that i'm complaining. It was quite refreshing. The whole thing was.
    A really amazing non-boring non-pretentious action movie. How often can you say that?

sweet, sweet movie.
    sweet sweet sweet.

My favorite part is the first fight: suburban kung-fu, with collector plates and fruit loops flying everywhere.

And GoGo. Love GoGo.

By heather on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:29 pm:

it's brilliant

totally

the animated violence was harder on me than the live action. it's the sound.

By Skooter on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:36 pm:

Withour runing it for anyone who hasn't seen it. DONT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN't SEEN IT! SPOILERS!
    The top of someones head comes off.
    Someones toungue is ripped out.
    Someone gets there head crushed multiple times in a doorway.
    There's a bout 200 limbs hacked off.
    Blood erupts out of wounds like a geyser.
    Facial wounds ooze with snot and dried blood.
    There's a pedophile murdered while underneath his childlover.
    Another Full decapatation scene.
    Not that I'm complaining. But I wonder how the fuck he got that past the MPAA?
    There is a scene that changes to black and white, which in the Japanese version is full color, because of the content.
    8,000 pounds of brilliant fake blood.
    A an attempted of a rape of a coma victem.

By Rowlf on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:58 pm:

this movie totally exposes the Matrix Reloaded as the piece of shit it is. Instead of throwing "Generic Electronic Background Music NO. 9" in there, QT runs out and digs up and obsesses until he can find the perfect touch for a scene.

And Tarantino is a real fan of the genre, knows its conventions and cliches and rules, breaks some, tips his hat to others in a true, honest 'homage' rather than simply rip it off.. QT knows what he's doing, and can make a real kung fu fight and do it over and over again and make it invigorating and exciting each time. And he knows enough to leave breaks in teh fighting at appropriate times, and how to tease his audience.

With the Matrix sequel, they just repeated everything from the first movie, same music, same pose, same pointless stylized slow motion in the middle. Tarantino stays consistent with his style while at the same time bringing something new in there, tweaking, adding different layers, unique shots and methods...

Bride vs. Crazy 88 makes Neo vs. 100 Smiths look like a childrens film.

geesh I'm still excited about how good this movie was. I actually thought it would be merely OK and i wouldnt enjoy it as much because it wouldnt have as much of the Tarantino dialogue, fuck this fuck that. Instead it blew me away completely, I was at the edge of my seat with my jaw gaping open.

And I still have a new Coen Bros. movie to look forward to. Its a good week.

By TBone on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 04:33 pm:

Damn. Hello of a moobie.
    GoGo is my hero.
    Did you notice the name of the cereal on the ceral box? Kaboom.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 06:31 pm:

I have heard that coen brothers fans are warned to stay away from the new film - apparently it does no justice to their reputation. "Kill Bill" is on my list for this weekend.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 06:40 pm:

i've heard the opposite.. but i'll have to see for myself

By Skooter on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 10:47 pm:

Hell of a Moobie? He is a cow...he's just a cow! Sorry, couldn't resist. But I'veheard great things about that Coen brother movie. Clooney and Ms. Michael Douglas (Ewww!) Zeta Jones (Zang!) are supposed to be excellent.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 10:51 am:

From a review by David Edelstein:

"After marvelous ensemble efforts like Fargo (1996) and The Big Lebowski (1998), it's depressing to see a Coens movie in which the supporting cast is so wasted. Every actor—Geoffrey Rush as a cuckolded producer, Cedric the Entertainer as a gonzo video-surveillance guy, Edward Herrmann as a philandering zillionaire, Billy Bob Thornton as a garrulous Texas oilman—gets a big entrance and exit but little in the way of a middle. (A hit man named Wheezy Joe, played by Irwin Keyes, does have maybe the best exit of any walk-on goon ever.)

The glibness exhausts you, and the Coens are emotionally so far outside their subject that Intolerable Cruelty is finally no different from most of the other dumb slapstick spoofs that pass for screwball comedy these days. The reason that many of us still treasure The Lady Eve (1941) and Adam's Rib (1949) after 50-plus years is that the people who wrote them were serious about exploring the issues of constancy and trust, and the jokes allowed them to raise the stakes in ways that most noncomic dramatists don't dare. The Coens are too armored by irony to take those kinds of risks. Cupid would need a rocket launcher."

I will likely see it at the 50 cent matinee. I remain very guarded about this one.

By heather on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:48 pm:

i am doubtful myself. sadly.

By semillama on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:17 pm:

I saw Kill Bill.

HOLY FUCK.

That was fantastic. utterly great. nigh perfect. wow. and this is why: the scene at the very end of the Crazy 88 fight with the youngest member. I nearly busted a gut - that was such the RIGHT thing to do in that scene.

This is the most bad ass movie of the last decade.

It was so bad ass that everyone forgot to mention that the trailer for Return of the King precedes the movie.

ROTK trailer: HOLY FUCK-A-MOLEY. This one is going to blow the other two combined out of the water. i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait i can't wait

By TBone on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 04:28 pm:

I intentionally avoided the trailer for Return of the King. I don't like to see trailers for movies I already know I want to see.
    I wanted to walk right back in and watch Kill Bill again.
    I also finally saw Lost in Translation over the weekend. I liked it a lot.

By wisper on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 10:34 pm:

when i saw Kill Bill all the trailers were for kids movies. It was kinda fucked-up.

Like Eddie Murphy starring in Disney's "The Haunted Mansion", or part 3 of their "You've been on the ride....now see the movie!" series.

What's next, It's A Small World: THE MOVIE!
    Space Mountain: THE MOVIE!

I'm almost certain we'll see one of those out by next Xmas. Mark my words.

And the Cat in the Hat trailer, which i suppose can count as a horror film. At least i think so. Good god.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact