Step into Liquid/Masked and Anonymous

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Step into Liquid/Masked and Anonymous
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 01:54 pm:

I saw both of these this weekend. Step into Liquid was gorgeous. It was quite simply some of the best camerawork I have ever seen and it deserves an Oscar nomination. I can't talk to the depcition of surfing, though, since I don't surf. (Although this movie would likely make anyone wish they were a surfer).

Masked and Anonymous was odd. It seemed to lack direction or message. It just seemed like a series of events. That being said, it's one of the better movies the Coen Brothers never made. John Goodman is fantastic, as is Jessica Lange. Val Kilmer has an interesting cameo and Ed Harris's cameo is unbelievable. Adn it's good to see Christian Slater working again. Bob Dylan's character was interesting but you don't really get to figure out much about the character through the movie. It's just great to watch him though, and there's a lot of good musical performances. Overall, worth a trip to the theatre.

By Spider on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 03:46 pm:

I had wanted to see Masked and Anonymous....thanks for the review.

I saw Mystic River this weekend and was disappointed. I felt that there was so much potential there, but it was wasted. The characters were kinda thin for all their rich sources of angst, and I thought the ending was flat. Sean Penn and Tim Robbins were awesome, though.

But their two characters.... those (like I said)_ are two people that embody my favorite theme -- people who think they have escaped their past but are wrong -- but only Tim Robbins' character got into it. Why was Sean Penn not eaten alive by what he did at the end? Was his wife's (almost out of left field) speech really that convincing? Really? What was up with her look to Marcia Gay Harden at the very end? Are we supposed to believe she could be such a hardass just because Harden didn't act with the freakish family loyalty she herself (Laura Linney) has?

I bought the book yesterday to see if everything's better explained there.

By sarah on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 03:59 pm:

i saw step into liquid twice. the behind-the-wave camera shots were so beautiful, so surreal. i think the film did an excellent job of capturing all the different aspects of surfing and definitely the spirit of a surfer. and the soundtrack rocks.

i loved the custodian from CA who has been surfing every single day for like 15 years, and is going for 20. he's my hero.

in terms of the hawaii surfing scene, the movie was dead-on accurate. man what a great film. made me homesick as hell.

By semillama on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 04:42 pm:

Cool! I was wondering what a real surfer thought of it.

I loved the last bit after the credits - that was SUPER ACCURATE.

By sarah on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

yeah, weren't those guys from wisconsin hilarious!

By Spider on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 05:21 pm:

Sem, what did you think of the Mystic River ending? I tried to find the thread in which you mentioned seeing the movie, but had no luck.

By moonit on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 05:04 am:

I think I have read that book Spider - is it by Dennis Lehane?

By J on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 09:17 am:

I saw Mystic River and I liked it,not that it's a feel good movie,but it was well done and Sean Penn should get an Oscar for it. I also had to get a new computer.

By Spider on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 09:45 am:

Yep, Dennis Lehane. I started reading the book last night, and I really like the guy's style.

I agree, J -- Sean Penn was fantastic.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 10:01 am:

Penn's in an interesting looking new indie film, 21 grams. I'm not sure what it's a bout but it looks good.

Spider, I talked about Mystic River on whatever thread it was that we were discussing depressing movies. But I agree with you about the ending.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact