Hellboy

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Hellboy
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 10:57 pm:

I saw this on Friday. It won't win any awards, but I loved it anyway. I have to qualify my review by saying that I think that Hellboy is one of the greatest comic books ever. Still, it was a lot of FUN. good action, great characters that you end up wanting to share some beer and pancakes with, and great lines. Ron Perlman was great. He's probably one of the more underrated actors around today.

The movie took a lot of care to be true to the source material. Guillermo Del Toro said that this is a movie made by geeks for geeks, and he shows it. You can really see the influence of Mignola's visual style everywhere. But, you don't have to know anything about Hellboy the comic book to enjoy and understand this movie. It looks like a superhero movie, but it's more a paranormal adventure film (the lead character just happens to be a tall demon with filed down horns and a taste for beer and stogies).

I recommend it heartily.

By sarah on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 01:31 pm:

senor took me to see this movie, to cheer me up after we dropped off at the airport my bestest/oldest friend paula who came to visit for the weekend.

it was a fun movie, we both enjoyed it. it was about 20 minutes too long, but other than that i thought it was worth seeing in the theater. the first 15 minutes were produced in such a way that you actually felt like you were reading a comic book... i could picture each scene in a little box, with the dialogue written in little bubbles above the characters' heads. neato!

the rest of the move was jam packed adventure fantasy. dig. i thought whatshisface did a great job of playing hellboy. he kinda reminds me of herman munster.

By semillama on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:16 pm:

I'm taking Kazu to see it this weekend. I think she'll enjoy it.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:02 am:

I loved it

there was a lot of stupid unexplained mysticism, but that actually seemed to make it more 'comic book movie' for me..

unlike the other comic book movies where they really try to make things plausable and up to date and realistic, for better or worse, the director always seems to reject that and play fantasy

By eri on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 12:07 pm:

I wanna see it. Haven't yet, but I promised Spunky we would go see it. I prefer a little bit of that out of place mysticism, rather than trying to make it seem plausible. The idea that is so 'comic book' actually sounds more entertaining.

By semillama on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:14 pm:

It's not "comic book" like "hulk" was - it's more comparable to the Xmen films out of all of them. although it does bear some comparisons to the X-files movie and the first Batman as well.

Hellboy 2 has already been greenlighted! Whoo-HOO!!

By eri on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:06 pm:

That's what I was thinking. Like X men. At least based on the previews.

By kazu on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 12:17 pm:

hellboy was a lot better than I imagined though the ending was a little too much.

the best part about is that ron perlman IS hellboy

Other characters, Abe Sapien was the best, I like that he was meticulous, but not anal retentive. Karel Roden was terrible as Rasputin, at some points he was okay, I felt that there was something very inconsistent in his performance, like he was trying to be both campy and evil, but not really succeeding at either.

Kroenen was cool and reminded me of cobra commander in his masks

By semillama on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 06:23 pm:

I hope the next one has the big gorilla with bolts coming out of his neck.

By Gee on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 06:26 pm:

I never got to read any Hellboy comics. good?

I used to think it was always more fun to read the book/comic and then watch the movie so I could nitpick it, which is my favouritest thing to do.

but when I saw League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Ron had my copy of the graphic novel, and I didn't get to read it until much later. once I'd finally read it, I realized that if I had read it before the movie, I never would have enjoyed the movie, because the book is sooooo vastly superior.

By semillama on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 08:03 pm:

The comics are among the best out there. Go read them all, right now.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact