Eternal Sunshine

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Eternal Sunshine
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 01:32 pm:

it's NOT about taking drugs and tripping.

not at all. even though that's what the movie trailers kinda make it seem like what it's about.

i loved loved loved this movie. best movie i've seen since Secretary.

By TBone on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 01:37 pm:

It sounds really good.

By semillama on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:19 pm:

I think it's the movie of the year. Just really a couple levels above the previous stuff by Kaufman. And I even forgot it was Jim Carrey playing the character for most of the movie. I had some bad flashbacks to some painful momements associated with a resemblance of an old flame to one of the characters, but other than that, I really liked it.

By wisper on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 06:05 pm:

i thought it was just okay.
    I don't know why, but it didn't quite 'do it' for me.
    I was somewhat dissapointed. ah well.

By heather on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 06:42 pm:

yeah

i liked it but i was a little bored
    i may have preferred it with a different woman in the lead

unlike secretary

By sarah on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 06:46 pm:

i adore kate winslet. she's my third favorite, after maggie and drew.

By wisper on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 08:21 pm:

though i really liked how:
    *spoilers*

1) in the end, he can't keep his memories. He does not suceed. I was so scared it was going to end with him waking up, still in love with her. Cheese fest. Gay. But he lost. I like that a lot, it's refreshing.

2) It's obvious that these characters are not going to stay together, they don't really fit together, and they probably won't make it another year, much less get married happily ever after.
    They won the battle but will eventually loose the war. Again.
    They learned nothing, aren't going to change, and didn't grow at all.
    But they'll keep the memories next time.
    That very real.

By wisper on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 08:26 pm:

oh yeah, i remember what my problem was, they spent too much time in the "OMIGOD freaky head trip!" zone. Wow it's so crazy!! Now he's a kid! Now they're in a car! Now everyone has no face!
    It ran waaaay long.
    yessir.

By heather on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 10:59 pm:

in one original writing they keep meeting and erasing themselves for their entire lives...

i don't even remember how the film actually ends

By Platypus on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:18 pm:

Wisper, I hear ya. The film was ok. Just ok. Not great, awesome, one of the best movies of the year, etc. There were some great moments but a lot of it felt very odd and contrived to me.

Although the acting was quite good--like Sem, I often forgot the actor and was able to focus on the character. I didn't, of course, like the characters, but that's another matter.

Although I did like the ending.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:01 am:

wisper is full of shit :P - 'just ok' my ass

Eternal Sunshine is thoroughly amazing and Michel Gondry is GOD. As well as being the best music video director on time, he's 2/2 in movie direction.

By semillama on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 09:57 am:

ALthough I disagree with Wisper's overall assessment, I do agree with how good the ending was. That was great. Especially when Jim Carrey's character accuses her of messing with him.

And Elijah Wood as a creepy little bastard was great.

By eri on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 12:17 pm:

Oh, now I have to see this one. Elijah Wood as creepy. I have wanted to see that for years, instead of his goody two shoes shit.

Jim Carey is a little hard for me to buy in the previews. I am not expecting oscar winning performances. But I would like to see the cast in roles that are not stereotypical and have really been enjoying those more realistic movies lately.

I guess lately I have needed to watch movies that take me to a place where I remember those realities, although they were different in my particular life, I saw these things going on around me. It reminds me of things I need to prepare myself for, or things about life that I have simply forgotten. Thirteen did a good job of that. Freaked Spunky out, but I was like "No, that's exactly what it is like, that was so realistic to what things were like when I was that age. Accept this because Hayley is only a couple of years away, and this is something we could be dealing with."

Reality in movies is my friend lately.

By kazu on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:51 pm:

Jim Carrey has quite a range as an actor, much more than he's sometimes given credit for.

Eternal Sunshine was excellent, I highly recommend it.

I know what you mean, eri, about wanting a sense of realism--for me, it's not just about believability, but whether the movie enables me to reflect on my own life in certain ways. I've been thinking about that A LOT as I choose what do with my spare time, what to watch or read.

I've been reflecting on this in my journal lately:

There are certain books, films, even songs that are become completely personal--they are so good at triggering that kind of introspection and I can't talk about them with anyone. Sometimes I can formulate a way of talking about it that doesn't touch the personal stuff or I just pretend I haven't seen it because I wouldn't want to share my stuff in any random conversation. Sometimes it's just a moment in a film or a passage in a book so I can talk about the rest of it. And it doesn't matter if the person is criticizing or praising it...I don't know, there is something immensely satisfying about having a few of those things to keep to yourself.

Sorry if that's cheesy.

Anyway, remind Spunky that even if *Thirteen* depicted how things are, not all teenagers react the same way.

By Gee on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 06:24 pm:

I went and saw this movie by myself, because no one I know wanted to see it. I thought it was wonderful, and it made me feel several different emotions all at once.

afterwards I called Steve and left him a message asking him to come over when he finished work (1am). I kept insisting in my message that nothing was wrong, but since I was crying when I left the message, I guess he didn't believe me.

at 1:30am he called me and said, "I'm around the corner. do you want me to come up?" and I said yes and went to open the door to wait for him to come down the hallway.

Later I asked him, "How come you're so nice to me?" and he said, completely seriously, "That's the kind of guy I am."

and therein lay the problem. he was awfully nice to me a lot of the time, and did so many things I've always wanted boys to do for me, but he did them because he was A Nice Guy. he didn't go out of his way for me because he loved me, or even liked me, but because That's Just The Way He Is, and he'd do it for anyone. I was never special.

By kazu on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 06:40 pm:

I have a feeling that's not entirely true, but I've known people like that. My ex before Sem was the "nice" guy and was everyone's go-to guy, even for people he didn't like as much as others (he had a strange need-to-help-people thing, not like as a character trait, but more like a complex). Anyway, I expected that when he said he loved me that meant I was special, but he dropped me as soon as someone else showed interest and had a better "offer" in terms of relationship possibilities (i.e. paying his way to Ireland).

I would for you Gee, because you are special.

And not to gush (or brag), but I just asked Sem on IM:

princessofcups_3: Why are you so nice to me?
    SemmySemSemSem: because your my sweetest of ladies

(don't YOU settle for less)

By TBone on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 06:47 pm:

Quote from yesterday:
    "I love your head and all the silly things in there."

By kazu on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 06:53 pm:

OH THAT'S SO CUTE I CAN'T STAND IT.

By Gee on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 07:20 pm:

those three posts were so smile-worthy.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact