dogville

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: dogville
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By heather on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 06:17 pm:

any of you going to see this?

i really liked it. a lot. good thing i didn't walk out after the first hour like i was tempted to. seriously, the first hour or so could have been condensed into a 10-15 minute narrated slide show.

By semillama on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:44 pm:

I'll probably see it at some point, but I don't know when I'll be in town long enough to do it.

ATL this weekend and part of next week, week after that in NOLA for a project, week after that near Cinci for a project, week after that my mom and Kazu come visit. Maybe then.

By sarah on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 11:10 am:

never heard of this one... i'm so out of it sometimes.

By TBone on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 11:57 am:

You folks are the only way I find out about movies before they hit rentals.

By J on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 03:17 am:

Then wait to see The Ladykillers when it comes out in video,it was amusing but that's about it.I expected more with Hanks looking so goofy.It did have moments though.The end was good.

By Nate on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 03:40 am:

i just saw this tonight. i liked it.

i'm glad the ending was the predictable one. it was what i really wanted.

i think i liked it for its style more than its story. the way it was like a play with a roving, camera eye audience.

i had a little joyful freakout half way through, when i realized that grace was being played by nicole kidman. my subconscious had been going on the assumption that it was someone else, and for some reason that was a rational assumption.

rational that who i thought it was would be acting in this movie.

if you catch my drift.

and i think you do.

By dave. on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 04:02 am:

huh?

By dave. on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 04:06 am:

you two are retarded.

come together. right now. over there.

By Nate on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 12:18 pm:

you two?

By dave. on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 12:45 pm:

that wasn't me.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 07:15 pm:

I work one night a week at a video store for fun (and free rentals).

Several people have returned Dogville complaining about it because apparently its a play or something?

I like Lars Von Trier but havent got around to it yet.

By kazu on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 11:43 pm:

i have to be in a special sort of mood for lars von trier

haven't been in that mood for a while

By Rowlfe on Saturday, October 2, 2004 - 05:47 pm:

saw it today. Wow that was long and weird. But good.

SPOILERS!!

Story kinda follows that same old jesus arc though. Picture Kidmans character as female Jesus, coming to help and make lives better and they just use and abuse her. In the end she gets all the power from the big man and she goes apeshit. Not sure if von Trier meant to show her being a hypocrite there or not.

Anyways, you could call the movie very anti-American as well. Since its so allegorical theres a lot of ways to spin it.

One thing it definitely is: cynical. Its basic premise is that goodness and moral principles are only a means to an end, that everyone is only looking out for themselves.

By Nate on Saturday, October 2, 2004 - 11:05 pm:

i lost you on the jesus part... when does jesus get all the power from the big man and go apeshit?

By heather on Sunday, October 3, 2004 - 12:19 am:

shhhh....rowlfe is prophecizing-up the joint

By Rowlfe on Sunday, October 3, 2004 - 11:39 am:

yeah man, dont you watch Jack Van Impe? Thats the future, dude.

By Gee on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 10:12 am:

okay, saw it last night. now I get it.

it wasn't what I expected at all, and the whole look of the movie had me going "huh".

I remember after the first thirty minutes thinking to myself "Nate likes this movie??"

by the end I got it, though.

the ending was perfect.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact