Troy

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Troy
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 12:48 pm:

Saw Troy last night. It wasn't all that bad.

The dialogue was atrocious. Out of the whole cast, only Sean Bean and Peter O'Toole were able to deliver their lines naturally. Not that the rest were bad actors, but when you're given awful things to say, it would take superhuman acting ability to pull them off.

They killed off a lot of people that don't die in the Iliad. That was kind of annoying. Especially when they kill someone who not only survives in the epic but is later granted eternal life. Um.

Helen ain't that pretty.

The "duel" between Paris and Menelaus, despite its incorrect ending, was very well done and suspenseful. So was the duel between Achilles and Hector.

The plot moved well, the cinematography was good, and the CGI was seamless.

Eric Bana's arms are lickable, and the scenes with him and his baby are so sweet. He was the best thing in the movie.

Brad Pitt...ew. I've never thought he was that attractive, and I thought he looked gross and beach-bunny-like here. Something's awry when Brian Cox has more sexual tension with an actress (very pretty Rose Byrne) than does Brad Pitt.

Oh yeah, and Patrochlos is now Achilles' "cousin." What EVER.

By Gee on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 03:02 pm:

I hate the casting in that movie, already. I'm going to see it tonight. I wanted to brush up on my myth before I saw the movie (so I could mock it), but I didn't get a chance. I guess I'll just have to mock later! Maybe I'll go see it a second time at a cheapie theater so I can mock properly. It's all about the mock, you know?

I threatened to tell my friend what happens to Achilles, and he got all mad at me. heehee!

it's almost Harry Potter time! I told my friend Faye that if she went to pottery class and made a little statue of Daniel Radcliffe, she would then have a Harry Pottery! hee!

By Spider on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 03:26 pm:

Gee, you might have to clamp your hand over your mouth to keep from laughing at the dialogue.

"Immortality is on that beach! Take it, it's yours!"

GRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN.

As long as nobody's talking, it's not a bad movie.

I'm still reeling over the stupid deaths, though. Menelaus should not die!

By Spider on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 03:27 pm:

BTW, here is a synopsis of the Iliad.

By Gee on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 05:38 pm:

I remember all the big stuff, including most of the before and after the Iliad. I wanted to have the details down.

my favourite thing about movie adaptations is complaining about how WRONG they got it.

did they cut out all the godly stuff from the movie? I'm so ready to be pissed!

By Spider on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 06:14 pm:

Yep, no gods. Thetis is there, but her divine status isn't highlighted. Someone makes a comment about Achilles being the son of a god, but it's made to sound like an urban legend. He is shot in his heel, but then he's shot in his chest, so if you didn't know the story, there'd be no reason for you to think the heel-shot is what killed him.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 09:46 am:

how lame.

You want a real good adaptation of the story, go pick up the first (and currently only) Age of Bronze trade paperback, "A Thousand Ships". It's really damn good, especially in its treatment of deities and the supernatural. The gods are mentioned quite a bit, but there was a conscious decision by the author never to show them, and concentrate on the human element. The supernatural is still there, but it's more ambiguous, and I think it adds to the interpretation, as in my mind it presents the story as something within the realm of the possible without losing the details.

Plus the guy really studied the era, and tried very hard to incorporate details from what is known about all the different cultures archaeologically, even down to trying to figure out what ethnicity the Trojans would have most closely resembled.

Really excellent read, and the next volume can't come out soon enough.

I haven't seen the movie yet. It's on the agenda for this weekend, along with Van Helsing. I'm looking forward to both, horrible warts and all!

By Gee on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 10:12 am:

I saw it. there were two parts of the Entire Movie, that I actually liked.

the fight between Hektor and Achillies was cool, but ultimately not that attention grabbing since I knew the outcome. Still, I'm sure that if they'd tried, they could have kept me on guard a little more.

and Priam going to beg for Hektor's body back. Fantastic scene. the Only fantastic scene in the entire movie.

every time they said "men-louse", I cringed. I wanted to cry. I knew those names are open to interpretation, but that's one I've never heard. what king would allow himself to be called a louse? seriously!

when Agammemnon died I almost jumped out of my seat. For a few really scarey seconds, I thought they might kill off Odyssius, and THEN there would have been trouble in the theater!

speaking of which: Sean Bean! yay!!

all in all, I so hated it. sooooooo hated it.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 10:14 am:

I'd see Troy again. It really wasn't that bad, except for Brad Pitt and the dialogue.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 10:16 am:

Er, I didn't see Gee's review. But, yes: Sean Bean! Even with a mullet, he's a fine, fine man.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact