Sin City

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Sin City
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 07:35 pm:

This movie is flawless.
    I'm giddy from it's perfection.

It is beautiful and noir and graphic in every sense of the word. The script is so witty and smart.
    Mickey Rourke is some kind of magical. It's a damn shame he won't possibly be nominated for any award for his performance.
    Benicio Del Toro, gold. He reminds me of Jack Nicholson when he played the Joker in Batman. Oh everybody was good, even stupid Jessica Alba.

By dave. on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 09:52 pm:

mmmm jessica alba

By Gee on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 08:57 am:

hmm. Some areas could have used a little more backstory.

but overall, it was great.

somehow I don't think it will be so great on the small screen.

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 02:19 pm:

Fuck the small screen. By the time it comes out on DVD I'll have a home theater projector. :)

By patrick on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 03:53 pm:

I havent seen it but know a bit about the film, not the comic.

the GF saw it at the Cine Rama Dome in hollywood and said it was pretty damn good. i hear theres tons and tons of violence against women in the flic
    i also have seen cells from the comic that are translated nearly identical to scenes in the movie.

By wisper on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 07:10 pm:

there is very little violence against women, not that it's something i notice or care about.
    I've read negative reviews that trash the movie for this (retarded) and then forget that there are no less than 5 scenes of guys getting their dicks shot, chopped or torn off.
    Oh but a women gets slapped in the face! OMFG!!
    There is a shitload of violence BY women.
    Oh, now I'm all upset. Fucking bullshit.
    ---

Every single shot is an identical scene from the comic book. It alone was used as the storyboard.

I saw it twice :)

By Gee on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 09:10 am:

except for the killing, whiping, and attempted raping of women, there was very little violence against women.

no sarcasm. compared to the violence against men, there really wasn't much violence against women. I guess my point is that there was a lot of violence PERIOD. but I think the way they portrayed the violence made it not too weird to watch.

a lot of people, I think, are upset that all the female characters in the film are essentially strippers or prostitutes, but then...all the men are either murderers or rapists. I think that level of darkness is to be expected with Frank Miller.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 11:45 am:

what i didnt add wisper is that along with the extreme violence on women by men, the women characters are extremely strong, commit their own violence and of course men commit violence upon other men, or so ive been told.

having not seen it i wont comment any further. no one i know is upset with the movie at all and i look forward to seeing it.

sometimes i wonder if we arent so desensitized to what we are seeing, we dont really know what we are seeing.

By Kazu on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 12:35 pm:

a couple of friends of mine (one man, one women) said they left feeling violated. The problem, Y. told me, was not that there was a disproportionate amount of violence against women, but that the nature of the violence was characterized by what she considered a perverse level of humiliation and that women were "strong" in being physically capable of committing violence, but having no *real* depth or purpose, and not really resonating with the femme fatale tradition of female characters in classic noir, which was disappointing for her.

Y. has a pretty high tolerance for movie violence. She also didn't *trash* it because of this; she also said it was otherwise aesthtically beautiful and well done; it just personally left a bad feeling in her gut.

That's all I will say about that.

I know Sem liked it a lot. I don't know if/when I will see it since there are other movies I want to see, but I also don't want to watch it on a small screen and I'm mad curious now. We'll see. I like that the comic book was used for the storyboarding. It's too bad I can't watch the movie backwards ;)

Comic books hurt my eyes. I read them backwards like I do magazines since I only really *look* at them anyway. Sem has one that I really like and am actually reading forwards when I'm at his house and going to the bathroom and I really only have time for the 1-2 pages I can read before getting a headache. It's called *The Filth*

He also tried to get me to read Transmetropolitan but it hurt my eyes. I also couldn't resolve that Spider with our Spider.

The printing in Knights of the Dinner Table is too small and the dialogue too difficult to follow, which is too bad because the illustrations are much easier on the eyes.

By kazu on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 02:44 pm:

p.s. wisper, i lost your address, could you resend it to me and i will get some p-cards out to you tomorrow.

By wisper on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 06:32 pm:

I found it interesting that all 3 of the short stories that make up the film have the same plot- guy tries to save girl.

It's not disproportionate at all. For every chick that gets hurt, 20 guys die screaming with blood everywhere.
    good lord, why am i even typing this. It's a non-issue. It's not even a thing. I can't believe there are people that notice that crap.

30 cops get slaughtered as hatchet fodder, and then a chick gets punched in the face, and some people only see that last part as questionable. It gives me a headache, trying to understand it.
    It's all the same to me. Violence against people, people getting killed.

i don't even register or notice movie violence anymore. I'd hear critics describing Kill Bill as being violent and i'd think- "It was? oh, yeah i guess maybe."
    A gun shoot-out might as well be a tickle fight.
    Unless it's unexpected or poorly done, like in Disney's "Atlantis". That was just a bad bad story decision.

Kazu should read 'Kingdom Come'. You don't have to read it to love it. But the story is great too if you get around to it.
    Some of the most beautiful paintings I've ever seen in any media, not just comics.

The Filth has the coolest covers, but i can't read it either.

By Gee on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 08:47 am:

my favourite comic series will always be "Death: The High Cost of Living".

By semillama on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 06:48 pm:

I have Kingdom Come. Also Marvels. I love that guy.

I loved Sin City. I'd see it again. Mickey Rourke -WOW. Even Brittany Murphy was good.

And Wisper, as usual, articulates it best about the violence against women. I thought that there were strong and weak characters of both sexes.

Miller's art really informed the movie's use of black and white - you really see it in the glaring whites of Becky's jewelry and Marv's bandages. real nice.

By Anigone on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 03:28 am:

Carla Gugino

Devon Aoki

Alexis Bledel

Need I say more?

By J on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 03:45 pm:

I loved the movie and I didn't even want to go at first,but it was violent, so violent that I laughed out loud at some parts and now I keep looking for an excuse to use the expression love stink.I love how it was filmed,the minimal use of color was striking.

By Spider on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 11:55 am:

I so want to see this movie, but I was afraid to, having only the previews and none of the reviews to go by. I mean, it looks like it has a slim chance of being awesome and a mighty chance of being awful. But yay for being awesome! Now I'll have to go to Sheridan next weekend and see it in the theatre. (Yay also for isolated movie theatres that hang on to films longer than city theatres.)

Plus? Clive Owen? Love him.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact