Revenge of the Sith

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Revenge of the Sith
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By platypus on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 06:08 am:

So my movie theatre was actually to hip enough to have a midnight showing--therefore, I went. It was massive geeky fun.

Was anyone else dorky enough to see the first possible showing today?

And what do we think of this, the final installment in the Star Wars saga?

By Gee on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 08:44 am:

I am going this afternoon. I am not quite nerdy enough to stand in line for days to see the midnight showing, but I am just nerdy enough to take the afternoon off work, stand in line for a couple of hours at the biggest movie theater in Toronto, and wig out with likenerds.

I am excited, and yet very nervous about being excited. by all accounts this is the best of the three, when judged by the standards of Episodes I and II. but Lucas has burned me before, and I am cautious.

By Gee on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 08:44 am:

ps...I fucking HATE Haydon Christianson.

By jinx on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 08:57 am:

yes, HATE him

the theatre where sem and I saw hitchhiker's
    guide is having a contest where the winner gets
    to be first in line at the midnight showing and stay
    in a bed donated by the hyatt regency instead of
    having to lie on the sidewalk

i just want it to be over.

By Antigone on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 11:32 am:

I saw it last night. Passed muster. Going to see it again in 1.5 hours on a digital screen. :)

By platypus on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 02:01 pm:

I liked it much more than the first two, that's for sure. I really thought that making it a lot darker greatly improved it. I don't know if I'll be seeing it again in the theatre...but who knows.

I'm highly entertained by having a contest. I suppose because we live in a small town, the theatre pre-sold tickets, so I bought mine earlier in the day and showed up on line about an hour before the movie started to get decent seats with friends. It was fun. Going with all the geeks made it greatly enjoyable.

By J on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 02:28 pm:

I've been waiting 28 years for this movie,I can hardly wait to see it!

By wisper on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 04:35 pm:

Housemate A went at the midnight show.
    I'm probably going this afternoon. The other 2 i waited weeks to finally go and see, i really didn't care. But this one is really the only important one, as far as the plot goes.
    And mostly because I've got a wicked craving for movie popcorn.

By V on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 07:14 pm:

J,as allways I like your postings.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 09:48 pm:

uh, actually wispy, we saw AOTC opening night.

Its the only Star Wars movie I've seen in the theater. I bought the original trilogy on DVD and burned Ep 1 and 2, but if this one is good I'll buy it.

By semillama on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 09:13 am:

I've seen them all in the theatre. Going to the last one tomorrow.

I still remember getting my first star wars figures - Luke with the yellow lightsaber and R2D2.

By eri on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 10:29 am:

I remember the Star Wars read along books with the cassette tapes from early childhood.

My nerd of a husband and myself are really not happy that we cannot get a babysitter and go see it.

We're supposed to wait until my brother in law gets out here to go watch it with him, but SCREW THAT, we just won't tell him we already saw it.

We'll be at the theater as soon as we can get a babysitter for the midgets.

By Rowlfe on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 12:27 pm:

has anyone ever found a torrent of the Holiday Special on the internet? I keep looking but most links are broken

By patrick on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 02:33 pm:

finally those bums camping on the sidewalk are gone. they were starting to reak.

By wisper on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 10:13 pm:

Hayden Christensen couldn't act his way out of acting town on the actingest day of the year.

Just got back. I can't believe more people didn't choose to see it in digital like we did. The picture quality....SO clear.....

Something's been bugging me, but i won't plant spoilers just yet. But it has to do with something Laya says in a later movie.

By Rowlfe on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 11:25 pm:

uh, I'm pretty sure when Leia talked bout her mom, she meant the Organa family.

If not, theres also the explanation (oh god, this is nerdy) that through the Force Luke is connected only to his father, and therefore Leia to her mother. Luke remembers places he's never been and 'searches his feelings' to realize that Darth Vader was his dad, so if the Organas told Leia about her mom, she would have had time to realize things about her.

its all very gay to speak about, but I dont think its a big deal either way.

anyways, ROTS is actually my favorite of the 6. And Hayden only had 2 scenes where it was bad and it was mainly the stilted dialogue that really caused that. I think many people are going to be a little too scared to give this movie the credit it deserves. One person we know left the theater saying how much he hated it, yet he's going to see it again sometime this weekend.

Ewen McGregor in particular did an amazing job.
    Despite us knowing what would basically happen, this movie wasnt really all that predictable. There are surprises and true 'holy shit' moments. The action sequences were well constructed, and while over the top so many times, never to the point of pure cheesiness like other movies. Definitely easier to swallow than so many Indiana Jones moments. There were many iconic shots in the movie, it had better pacing than any of the original trilogy, the score was better used than of all the other films, it had just the right amount of funny moments. the movie is payoff after payoff: all the duels you wanted to see and for the first time of all the movies i was intrigued throughout all the fighting, because they kept it moving through numerous setpieces and with other factors coming into play other than skill. and frankly, they made Vader way more badass than he's ever been. the entire film, and not just because of events, is dark. its still colorful, but it is nowhere near as cartoony as Eps 1 and 2.

the only downsides for me are the dialogue in several scenes. after Ep 2 I was totally prepped for any cheese between padme and anakin so they never actually made me cringe. and so much dialogue is expository as this is mostly an action movie that i dont see why anyone should bother to complain about it.

anyways, I was extremely satisfied. When we left the theater I was doing my jaw dropping happy face which i do sometimes, which wisper tried to shoot down with a "YOU LIKED THAT?". didnt work.

I think wisper generally isnt impressed by movies with extended action scenes. she for example, thought the Crazy 88 scene in Kill Bill vol. 1 was quote "meh" and she doesnt care for the LOTR movies at all. I can understand that if they're bad action scenes - like in the Matrix sequels, but ROTS really got my pencil moving. I think the only action based movies i've seen her really go gaga for were X-Men 2 and the Matrix, and the action scenes in those are all relatively short.

By semillama on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 01:09 pm:

Ewan McGregor was astounding in that film. He owned it.

I have a few complaints, and the biggest one is that Lucas really didn't do a good enough job with the Anakin turning to the dark side scene. First he's all trying to be a good jedi and then he just kneels and becomes a sith? a little more agonizing, please!
    If the Dark SIde just overwhelms you, fine, but at least show or mention that's what happens! My other complaint is character development - General Greivous was either completely unnecessary or really needed to be expanded on as a character - again, even a couple lines of dialogue would have helped.

but, the lightsaber duels were huge payoffs, and you felt horrible seeing all the Jedi get cut down. I also liked how the clone troopers were halfway to storm troopers, and you could see spaceships evolving into the TIE Fighter and X-wing forms.

My absolute biggest geek-out moment? First interior shot of the Blockade Runner (Senator Organa's ship). Even bigger than the glimpse of the Millenium Falcon and the Chewbacca cameo.

Other things that were cool: Yoda's bad-ass self, Ian McDiarmid's performance. The special effects were so good, you didn't notice them. Like, you understand in the back of your head that everything was digital, but you didn't notice it.

By Rowlfe on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 04:45 pm:

I think with Anakin going to the Dark Side, it was more Anakin realized he'd gone too far, but that he couldnt go back... he didnt so much turn as he completely surrendered, he'd lost control so stick with the new team. and after going even more extreme with his actions, he tried to justify it to himself later, even giving him a future out about how he could overthrow the Emperor whenever he wanted. i think that since he based it, warped as it is, around protecting his family, that it helps for RotJ where he's able to turn back because of Luke...

that is true about the effects.. in the other prequels they're there to make up for whats lacking in other areas. here they're totally complimentary and necessary.

another thing I liked was in Palpatines speech he mentions that some Sith could maybe even use midicholrians to create life... now remember that Schmi Skywalker said Anakin had no father and the council said his midichlorian level was through the roof... which brings up the fanboy theory that darth plageis or sidious perhaps created Anakin.

By Antigone on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 05:28 pm:

Yeah, the Anakin conversion scene left me disappointed too. It was way underplayed. And the lumbering frankenvader thing at the end: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" A bit over played. :)

And I hadn't thought of Anakin being created by a Sith lord. That's kewl.

By jinx on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 09:47 pm:

Hayden Christiansen. They should have put him
    in the suit sooner. Never in my whole life have I
    been so happy to hear James Earl Jones, but the
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! thing at the end was a
    a bit much.

I heard they were going to cast Johnny Knoxville
    but he wouldn't stop licking his light saber.

One thing that bugged me at first was that Grevious
    kept coughing...but then I saw that he had a heart
    (and maybe a set of lungs) so it wasn't that lame.

I got all teary-eyed when Yoda could feel things
    going all bad all over the universe.

It needed more wookies. and some bad-ass lady
    wookies. wookies.

oh, and the most badass, best character by far:

kit
    fisto

By Rowlfe on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 09:56 pm:

"One thing that bugged me at first was that Grevious
    kept coughing...but then I saw that he had a heart
    (and maybe a set of lungs) so it wasn't that lame. "

in the Clone Wars cartoon, Mace Windu hit him with a power blast, which is why he was sick. nice little touch for those who watched the series.

By Jinx on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 12:25 am:

Leia says she remembers feelings, that her mum was sad

Padme was so sad when she died, SO VERY SAD
    and not just about Anakin but of the failure of the
    republic and all that. Padme Amidala was so adored
    by her peoples and colleagues and I can totally see
    that Senator Organa and his wife would have told Leia
    about her mother.

Although the emporer knew about Anakin and Padme,
    and it might have been dangerous to tell Leia that
    she was Padme's daughter without also telling her
    to keep it secret lest the emperor coming looking for
    the darth spawn. (I mean, they left her belly all
    pregger-poofy so everyone would think that her baby
    died as well. That was kind of creepy.)

Or something. It's enough for me to think that, Leia,
    beingall strong with the force, had some kind of emotional
    connection with Padme, that Papa Organa had some
    reasonable explanation for.

aw...the pugs are on the dog show now.

sem and i are going to get a pug

And I still can't believe they found a young actor who
    looks that much like Owen Lars.

By jinx on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 12:32 am:

i mean, her belly was so perfectly round when she was
    in the coffin. creepy. what did they put in there?

balloon? stuffing? An astromech droid's head?
    Perhaps R4-P17's recently buzzed off head?

my brain is going to a nerdy place.

By wisper on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 09:24 pm:

Grevious is so bad-ass in the cartoon i almost flipped out when he came on screen. But then he was sick and not up to his full badassidness.
    I miss muppet yoda.

By Gee on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 09:46 am:

-THERE ARE SPOILERS IN MY POST. You've been warned!

-I also miss muppet Yoda. I don't know why, but CGI Yoda seems so much meaner.

-Anakin's conversion to the dark side was my biggest problem with the film. They had worked for two and a half films to show him turning from an innocent young boy into a dark lord, and still the moment felt sudden and forced.

-I still fucking hate Hayden Christianson. His scenes with Natalie Portman were terrible. So terrible. My god, it was like a black hole of acting. No romantic tension/connection AT ALL.

-Grevious was supposed to be all bad assed and stuff. what the hell? My friend Ron told me that in the cartoon he was taking on four jedi at once, and here he's destroyed by a blaster? bah.

-I was SO HAPPY that they slipped in that tiny explanation for how C3P0 and R2-D2 don't remember Obi Wan or any of the other characters from Eps 4-6. That was annoying me as I watched the other movies.

-It took me forever to realize that Jimmy Smits was Leia's future adoptive father. He'd been in the movie for about an hour before I finally went "Oh! Organa!" Ron thought it was quite funny.

-One of my biggest problems: I never understood how Leia could go into hiding on a completely different planet and be all safe, yet Luke was just sent back to his father's homeworld and was living with his father's step-relatives. How is that hiding? How is that secret? Ron thinks it's the best possible hiding place since Vader would never want to go back there. I fail to understand how Vader could never feel Obi Wan's presence, turn his eyes towards the planet, and realize the truth or try to bomb it or something. This does not make sense to me.

-I cried. I actually fucking cried. Near the end or Obi Wan's fight with Aniken I shed a few tears. Over all, the first half of the film was pretty dull, but the second half redeemed it. This is probably my third favourite of the six. (Ep. 5 will always be #1). I would see it again.

By jinx on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:31 am:

R2D2 remembered obiwan owned him.

Vader didn't know he had kids and likely
    the blackness in his heart (as silly as that
    sounds) blinded him from their existence,
    consumed as he was with being allpowerful.
    Sith are driven by passion, and there was
    nothing motivating him to *turn* toward a
    tiny little desert planet that is farthest
    from the bright center of the universe.

As soon as he knew obi wan was up to
    something (i.e. on the Death Star) he felt
    him, and then when he was made aware
    of Luke's existence became OBSESSED with
    finding him.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 06:51 pm:

when did obi wan own R2D2?

i thought the movie was a lot of eye candy and a lot of shity dialog and trite plot. true, it wasn't painful as the "are you hurting as much as I am" (yes, we're dying) scene in episode 2. but the "i'm beautiful because of how much i love you/no, you're beautiful because how much I love YOU" scene was really close.

there were a lot of really dull scenes. those buzz droids or whatever in the beginning? huh? all the gratuitous use of R2's gadgetry. none of the lightsaber duels really worked well. nothing to compare with darth maul in episode 1.

and what the fuck, mace windu should have GONE OFF. his saber form is supposed to be so anger fueled that he's risking the dark side whenever he swings the stick around.

and the obi wan/anikin duel, climbing the tower, heading for the lava-fall, swinging their lightsabers in gay little circles like they're dancing ribbons around the maypole?

and what the fuck was that birdlizard obi wan rode around on? how fucking annoying was that.

i was really expecting to like this one, too. it's not like i was going in a hater and getting what i thought i would. i'd heard so many good things.

there were some good things. wookies, except for the blatant tarzan yell. the yoda cgi has really gotten good. that youngling almost besting the storm troopers before bail takes off like a fucking nancycunt.

but bleh, i'll leave it with "it was better than 1 & 2"

future generations will not understand star wars the way those of us who saw 4 before 5 ever came out do. i think 1-3 did more damage than good. than ewoks.

By dave. on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 08:28 pm:

fuck star wars. except for blade runner, i've come to the conclusion that sci-fi should be left in book form. sci-fi movies always suck.

the only good thing about star wars is that it begat the intro/skit to "chewin george lucas' chocolate" by the butthole surfers.

so there.

By semillama on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 08:42 pm:

doggie dropped it.

Was that really James Earl Jones at the end? I didn't see his name in the credits.

I don't suppose Teumuera Morrison's agent got him separate salaries and points for each character he plays in the series.

By jinx on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 09:47 pm:

obi wan didn't *own* R2. that was a bad choice
    of words. but he was on some missione with him
    and R2 does go off looking for his former *master*
    (though I think C3PO was the only one on the "master"
    kick) in ep 5, which now makes perfect sense...that R2
    remembered obi wan and C3PO had no idea.

or maybe leia just programed that into him along with
    the floppies containing the plans to the death star

i didn't like the buzz droids either.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:40 pm:

what really bothered me is that the chosen one was supposed to bring "balance to the force". obviously, when you have this great and powerful council of good jedi knights, and the dark side is two chumps, thought to be gone from the universe completely, balance is going to add power to the dark side. why didn't any of these wise jedi knights figure that out? and then suddenly, in 3, the prophesy has changed to being about destroying the sith or something.

and what the fuck was up with padame's sexy maternity miniskirt thing she chose for her journey to the planet of total volcano?

and when anakin was running up the stairs to consult with the emperor in his box seats for that giant balls of water las vegas show, was i the only one checking out the huge alien hooters on the beastie wearing the jennifer lopez dress?

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 12:10 am:

i'm pretty sure James Earl Jones was uncredited.

By droopY on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 12:59 am:

i remember james earl jones in "dr. strangelove". what other movies has he acted in?

By platypus on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 01:57 am:

You were not the only one, Nate.

And I, too, was wondering about the garb Padme chose for her volcano island adventure. Actually, Natalie Portman's wardrobe really confused me. I didn't think it was possible for Natalie Portman to not be hot until I saw this movie.

By jinx on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 09:43 am:

he was in field of dreams.

has anyone seen Natalie portman with the shaved
    head? she totally pulls it off. otherwise, i've never
    found her that attractive. very pretty, but not hot.

I could be wrong, but i looked closely at the volcano
    outfit and she had legging-type pants on, in a color
    that was flesh-like and so the skirt was actually a
    shirt--it was still kind of tacky though.

By TBone on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 09:44 am:

Yeah, I dig the bald Natalie Portman.

By Gee on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 09:50 am:

Natalie Portman is weird.

I don't think that R2-D2 remembered Obi Wan. I think that when Leia told him to find Obi Wan and programmed him to do so, that was translated as his belonging to Obi Wan. He and C3PO were good and mind-wiped.

~

I never thought about the proficy that way, Nate. that's actually very clever. I was of the mind that the jedi use the force in ways that are more "natural" and the sith abuse it and manipulate it, which disturbs the balance. Kind of like the way some people see a balance (or lack thereof) in Nature and our use (or abuse) of it. So the proficy of this boy who will bring balance to the force actually has very little to do with what the jedi Do.

and if you think about it, the proficy was fullfilled in the end when Vader kills Palpatine (Episode 6).

~

Vader's voice at the end was a mixture of JEJ and Christianson.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:17 am:

James Earl Jones was in a wide variety of crap/slightly above crap: the Sandlot, Clean Slate, Judge Dredd, Coming to America...

he's just the Voice. I think Lion King was his last really big thing

By jinx on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:22 am:

well, at the end of ep 3, bail tells them to wipe out
    c3po's mind, not R2's--but i will entertain the notion
    that leia told him to find obi-wan.

as far as balancing the force. you don't need to make
    the sith more powerful to tip the balance to the dark
    side--there is plenty of dark side without the sith,
    which is just darkside concentrate, just as the light
    side of the force lies not only with the jedi, but with
    everyone. large scale abuse of power and other's
    complicity with it--that could throw the force off
    balance. it seems as though the jedi had plenty of
    work to do with or without the sith. they probably
    thought that the war signaled a shift in the force to
    the dark side, and that was not without sith-influence,
    but could also come about from abuse of power
    and complicity with that abuse stemming from the
    passions of human and alien-creatures alike.

still it makes perfect sense that the darkside would
    get a sith power surge with palpatine recruiting
    someone as strong as vader; should they have
    considered that earlier? probably. does it bother
    me that they didn't? not really. eventually, anakin
    does both, restores balance and eliminates the
    palpatine, effectively eliminating the sith (for the time
    being)

if none of this makes sense. sorry. i need to get my
    head out of this nerd place and get to work

By jinx on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 01:26 pm:

how would "find obi-wan" be translated into "find former master"?

Either:

1. R2 had his former "relationship" with obi wan still stored in his memory bank

2. leia was specifically instructed by Bail to use R2 as obi wan would recognized him as one of the driods that was in Bail's possession (and now with the rebel alliance)

Either or both of these are likely.

I can't believe I'm debating this.

And why does obi-wan say to Luke later, "I don't
    seem to remember ever owning a droid" Is that one of part of his whole "certain point of view" thing--that from a certain point of view, he never owned R2 (i.e. purchased him)--or he just wanted to keep his ties to the empire and rebellion secret?

By moonit on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:51 pm:

You're not in Guatamela now, Dr Ropata.

Thats kiwi for 'Teumuera Morrison you used to be in our lame ass Shortland Street soap' - get the fuck back home. I cannot help but think of this line whenever there's a move with Tem in it = or 'Cook me some fucking eggs'.

In fact, I may shout it out when I see this ep.

By Gee on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:11 am:

"at the end of ep 3, bail tells them to wipe out
    c3po's mind, not R2's"

I could be wrong, because I've only seen the movie once, but I remember Organa telling them to wipe the Droids - not mentioning either of their names.

"how would "find obi-wan" be translated into "find former master"?"

I didn't mean it was translated differently when Leia was programming R2. I actually meant something more simple: when C3PO was translating from R2's language to english (or whatever) for Luke, he translated slightly differently from what R2 was actually saying. Translations aren't usually exact, so perhaps "He says he's the property of a mister Obi-Wan Kinobe." was a near translation.

anyway, it's probably just easier to assume that Leia programmed into him that he belonged to Obi Wan.

the one thing I will not buy, however, is that R2-D2 had his memory intact by A New Hope. There are too many things that seem weird and off if he remembers everything, and the only explanation is that his memory was wiped.

I love this nerd stuff.

By Nate on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:16 am:

in ep4 R2 definitely has a handle on things that C3PO doesn't. R2 seems lead C3PO through minor deception, so he might say "former master" for C3PO's benefit.

organa says to wipe the protocol droid's memory, and then C3PO says "Oh no!"

By jinx on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:35 am:

how could you possibly know what is weird and
    off for R2? do you understand andromech now?
    what did R2 say that seems off? that couldn't
    otherwise be interpreted as him being crafty at
    trying to get to obi wan?

"these astro droids are getting quite out of hand,
    even I can't understand their logic at times."

R2 totally has his shit together. even when they
    went to jabba's palace in ep 6, he had a better
    handle on things (though that has nothing to
    do with memory, and everything to do with his
    role in the rescue plan).

R2's memory was not wiped. it was supposed to
    be in ep 5, but he got away, sneaky little freak that
    he is.

By TBone on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 11:14 am:

I recently got issue 2 of Make Magazine, and it has all kinds of fun information on how to make a (non-centient) R2D2.

This issue is full of robots.

By jinx on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 06:27 pm:

because i can't stop thinking about star wars....

it's interesting. in ep 6, the seethru obiwan tells
    Luke, how the emporer knew that if vader had
    any offspring that they would be a threat to him.
    So me thinks this is not just because they would
    likely be very strong with the force, but because
    that might trigger something in Vader--not that
    he would do a 180 and be all good again, but he
    would be conflicted, and therefor not quite as
    loyal to the emporer. there is a line in ep 6 where
    Vader can sense something about Luke that Palpatine
    cannot, and Palpatine gets worried that Vader's feelings
    aren't as clear on the matter.

the conversation between vader and luke before going
    to the emporer is just amazing. Luke can sense the good
    in him, that he accepts that he was once his father, Anakin
    Skywalker. Vader: that name has no meaning for me. blah
    blah blah Luke: let go of your hate... And Vader says, it's too
    late for me, my son.

MY SON. He is so fully invested in his being Luke's father,
    yet he denies the name anakin skywalker, and that line is
    delivered with so much saddness.

it's sad that they didn't get an actor who could deliver
    just half of that emotional conflict.

i'm coming down with something. i feel all warm and
    achy. so instead of studying for a make-up exam i
    have on saturday, i think i am going to watch ep 5.

By jinx on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 06:28 pm:

and i don't want an R2 unit that can't serve drinks
    at my fabulous cocktail parties!

i just reread that post. god i am such a dork, maybe
    i should just go to bed.

By semillama on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 07:56 pm:

I read that Lucas cut out a scene that would have Padme start organizing the rebel alliance.

and he also cut out a bunch of wookie scenes.

By jinx on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 08:16 pm:

good. padme doesn't need to be the do-gooder
    overachiever everytime.

i would have liked to have seen more of wookie
    society; you know wookie culture,

we need more anthropological work on Kashyyyk

okay, this is getting out of hand

By dougie the cocksmoker on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 08:20 pm:

Haven't seen it yet. Must see.

By dougie the smockcoker on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 08:20 pm:

Hey, it kind of works!

By lapis on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 08:57 pm:

going to see it tonight: pirated copy in a p-town yard. for free. what can be better?

didn't bother seeing attack of the clones, fell asleep during #1..... this'll be interesting, to say the least.

By Gee on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 09:35 am:

so R2 didn't have his memory wiped? I wonder why not.

~

I had a dream last night that I was arguing with my mother over Padme's name. I kept saying it was Padme and she kept saying that was a title, meaning "maid". It was frustrating because she was so insistant that she was right, and she hadn't even see Episode 3 yet.

I think this comes from the fact that *I* used to think Padme was a title, and not a name (although more like "handmaid" than "maid"). I thought her name was Amadala, and Padme was the title she assumed when she was in desguise in Episode 1. Then in Episode 2 everytime Anakin called her Padme, I thought it was some kind of affectionate nickname in reference to the fact that she was pretending to be a padme/handmaid when he met her.

then in Episode 3 when everyone else was calling her Padme as well, I realized I was an idiot.

By Nate on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 09:57 am:

because R2 is the fucking yoda of droids! how many times has R2 saved big bad jedi ass?

By jinx on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 10:28 am:

darn.

i was really hoping gee could understand all those
    beeps...and that she's caught an inconsistency none
    of us non andro-fleunt folks hadn't.

R2 has saved a lot of ass.

By jinx on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 11:53 am:

some of us non andro-fluent folks

i need some tea

and a shower

and a translator droid to sneak into the testing room
    with me for the make up part of my french exam.

i passed the part where you don't use a dictionary,
    but not the part with a dictionary.

fucking french and their fucking subjunctive mood

assholes

By droopy on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 12:07 pm:

just out of curiosity, did anyone actually notice that voyager - a real craft in real space, but it was in a star trek movie too - is leaving our solar system finally? are you geeks informed?

By dave. on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 12:41 pm:

i did see that story. talk about crying over stupid stuff, i actually got a lump in my throat.

By wisper on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 02:42 pm:

You know what i could never get over that ruined Episode 2 for me? When Anakin gets back from trying to rescue his mom, and he's talking to Padme and he goes on the big crazy rant about how he slaughtered the entire Tusken encampment-
    "Not just the men, but the children too! I slaughtered them like dogs! I played tetherball with their heads and intestines! I drank their blood and suffering like it was a fine white wine! BwahaHAHAHAH!!"

And she's just listening like it's no big deal.
    Revenge driven genocide? Oh, that's cool baby. I still love ya.

What the flying shit was that?
    I would think that a pile of hacked up corpses on Tatooine would cause some kind of stir within Padme- defender of justice and purity and duty.

And how can he still be in the Jedi after that?
    Don't tell me they didn't "feel" it. Or something.

By Gee on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 04:15 pm:

I don't believe I ever thought I was the only one to notice what may or may not be an inconsistancy with R2D2, but your sarcasm is duly noted. I guess from now on I just shouldn't mention anything unless I'm the very first person in the world to ever notice it! :P

and God knows George Lucas is Mr. Consistancy with his movies.

By jinx on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 04:44 pm:

you shush. i was geniunely curious.

besides, it's not like you've never made
    fun of me for being wrong about a nerd
    thing.

yeah, that Tusken thing bugged me too.

i think the Jedi Master's mistrust of Anakin is
    rooted in that. It seems that they cansense that
    Anakin has issues with attachment and
    devotion, with Yoga and ObiWan giving him the
    benefit of the doubt, and Windu and Kit Fisto
    blatantly mistrusting him*

*okay, i have no evidence that Kit Fisto doesn't
    trust him (is he even on the jedi council), I just
    wanted to say his name again

By TBone on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 05:55 pm:

I remember going to the Planetarium in Bozeman and seeing a show about the Voyager spacecraft. I remember feeling so bad for the Voyagers -- that they were on an irreversible trajectory out of our solar system and into the lonely emptiness of deep space.

Some day perhaps one of them will return as V-Ger and try to destroy us.

By droopy on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 08:24 pm:

él vendrá quizá conseguir más Chuck Berry.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, June 4, 2005 - 01:54 pm:

By semillama on Sunday, June 5, 2005 - 12:32 pm:

By droopy on Tuesday, June 7, 2005 - 02:34 pm:

wanna know something funny?

i am going to see this movie tonight. and i am taking my 62 year-old mother, who refers to this movie only as "the sith". at her request. well, she sort of announced that i was going to take my poor, long-suffering mother to see "the sith".

lord knows, i at least owe her a movie.

By kazu on Tuesday, June 7, 2005 - 02:41 pm:

"who refers to this movie only as "the sith".

that's adorable.

By droopy on Tuesday, June 7, 2005 - 02:53 pm:

it is, actually. she makes the sith sound less like a dark, vengeful force and more like an attraction - like "the penguins".

By kazu on Tuesday, June 7, 2005 - 03:23 pm:

i want to see the sith penguins.

SEM!!! TAKE ME TO SEE THE SITH PENGUINS

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By semillama on Tuesday, June 7, 2005 - 04:48 pm:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

By heather on Tuesday, June 7, 2005 - 10:02 pm:

me too!

By droopy on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 12:29 am:

apparently penguins would've been a better choice. my mother was unimpressed with the sith.

"did you follow all that? most of it seems to be fights and zipping around and all that. i thought i was still watching the coming attractions. and would you want to live in a galaxy far far away if it was that dark and dreary all the time?"

we were downtown (where i live) and we walked over to a cajun place called razoos (i'm not sure if i'm spelling it right.) we sat outside. our waitress is a young girl from wisconsin with dyed-red hair who sits down with us and starts chatting with my mother.

"this is my son. he took me to see the sith."

i ordered a scotch, then a shiner bock. mom had vodka. appetizers were stuffed fried jalapenos. i had the shrimp creole. mom had salad.

after dinner we went to a starbucks for desert because i had one of those gift credit cards from christmas. i never eat desert, buy she had some big dark rich brownie with extra whipped cream on it.

she wanted to go to a "people's poetry" night at the black dog tavern, but i wanted to go home. on the way to her car we came upon a george thorogood concert at the bass hall, for which they were still selling tickets. she wanted to go, but i still wanted to go home.

i'm not looking forward to 72. i bet she'll be hell on wheels.

By kazu on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 09:09 am:

ah...she IS adorable.

By Dougie on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 12:03 pm:

Can I see this movie if I haven't seen the other 2 in the series, or will I be lost?

By droopy on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 01:13 pm:

she is, kazu. so if anybody has a single dad...

i followed it, dougie. i just wasn't that interested. i think i'm like dave, i'd much rather see the dark, dystopian kind of sci-fi. and if i found out there was a campy 50's-style film festival somewhere, i'd be there. but a lot of the action was fun to watch (in "the sith" ).

and you kids are right - that guy who plays annikin(sp?) can't act.

and i'm putting money down right now that that wasn't james earl jones at the end. it sounded like a white guy doing jej to me.

By wisper on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 01:15 pm:

yeah Dougie, you'll be fine. Just read the back of the first two boxes at a video store.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 02:09 pm:

and watch an episode of General Hospital and punch yourself in the face a couple of times.

By heather on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 02:58 pm:

i didn't think it was jej either, droop

By They call me Carl on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 04:35 pm:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is by far one of the best movies ever. Oh, and don't call me Carl.

By Nate on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 05:44 pm:

hot carl?

By Karla on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 09:55 pm:

I would never pass up a chance to take anyone's mama to hear george thorogood. "she kinda funny, ya know? I know. now you funny too.' it just slays me.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact