Little Miss Sunshine & Departed

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Little Miss Sunshine & Departed
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dougie on Monday, March 5, 2007 - 04:00 pm:

Loved both of them, but loved Little Miss Sunshine more. The ensemble acting is awesome, and I was really in the mood for that movie. Jack Nicholson's great in Departed, as well as everybody else, but the Boston accent thing and the amount of swear words were kind of a distraction for me.

Also, saw some sort of tribute to James Taylor on PBS last week. Most of it was crappy, but oh my god, Alison Krauss and Jerry Douglass did THE most beautiful rendition of "Carolina" you'd ever want to hear. Unfortunately, can't find a CD of the show, just a DVD which I don't want. Anybody else see that? It was exquisite.

By agatha on Tuesday, March 6, 2007 - 12:57 pm:

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't seen Little Miss Sunshine yet. Departed is on my list, too. Alison Krauss has a very lovely voice- she's the one that sang some of the songs for O Brother Where Art Thou, no?

By sarah on Tuesday, March 6, 2007 - 03:28 pm:

yes!

little miss sunshine was truly great and unique. each character added a lot to the film and the story was great and i laughed a lot.

we just watched "Crank" which i also thought was cool.

By J on Tuesday, March 6, 2007 - 03:44 pm:

I'm with you Dougie,loved them both,but loved Sunshine the best.Alan Arkin deserved that oscar,and I was rooting for Abigail Breslin too.
    Carolina was one of JT's better songs.

By wisper on Wednesday, March 7, 2007 - 02:19 am:

i can't for the life of me figure out why Little Miss Sunshine was nominated. i'm not saying it was bad. And it's by no means the huge jump that occurs sometimes, like when Shakespeare in Love won best picture. (Seriously, have you seen that shit? romantic comedy wtf.)

To me it seemed no better or worse than any of the other quirky off-beat semi-independant films that come out every year, they all have the same tone. If they're giving out best picture oscars for these now, Wes Anderson should be sleeping on a pile of them.

I was somewhat rooting for The Queen, and Pan's Labyrinth probably should have been up there too.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact