The Avengers

sorabji.com: Worst movie you ever saw: The Avengers
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
PetRock on Monday, August 17, 1998 - 06:44 am:

I saw this dog on Saturday but was unable to post until this morning. But I really wanted to warn everyone that this movie is one big fat stinking turd of a movie.

What makes it so horrible is that they obviously had money to spend on this movie....the special effects were there and they looked good (and I guess Ralph, Uma and Sean don't exactly come cheap) but really now....giant teddy bears??? Puhleeze....

There was no review of this movie in Friday's paper....after a brief plot synopsis was the phrase "Warners Bros. did not screen this film for critics". I guess I should remember that anytime a studio declines to show a film for the people that they hope would give it a good review, that should be a big red flag for the movie-going audience -- "Danger Will Robinson, Danger! Bad stinking suck-ass film up ahead!!!"

Now the worst thing (other than those Avengers related flashbacks that I'm having) is that my friend (whom I assured that this movie looked way-cool and would be worth our $4.50 matinee admission fee) is holding this over my head, and probably will for a LOOOONG time to come. As if he didn't recommend "Jack", which was another stinker as I recall....

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Monday, August 17, 1998 - 08:15 am:

*Makes mental note* do NOT see Avengers... do NOT see Avengers...

By Carrie Ann on Tuesday, August 18, 1998 - 02:32 pm:

Hmmm, and I kinda liked it. Heh. Well, I guess it wasn't the movie which I liked so much in particular... more like John Steed (played by Ralph Fiennes) ... meeeeowwww! *purrrrrr* I don't think I would've cared if they turned it into some cheesy B-rate horror musical with dancing mutant robot hookers from mars... He is what made the movie for me. The accent, the clothing, eyes &smile... *drool*

By PetRock on Tuesday, August 18, 1998 - 10:07 pm:

Oh, admit it Carrie Ann -- you just liked his semi-nude scene. Didn't you? ;-)

By Carrie Ann on Friday, August 21, 1998 - 09:02 pm:

*thinks* There was a semi-nude scene? Oh man, where the heck was I!? I never once left my seat... darnit, I had to have seen it! Hehe. Hrmm... refresh my memory. I did think the scene with the boot was rather sexy and when he was in the rain, fighting with Sir August... *pant* There's just something about being wet with clothes clinging to your body... woa, lemme stop there. *giggles*

By PetRock on Sunday, August 23, 1998 - 03:04 am:

*now think back Carrie Ann*

remember when Mrs. Peel walks into the all-male club and walks in on Steed in the sauna?

there you go....no charge for the flashback :)

By Liam on Monday, August 24, 1998 - 01:10 pm:

If you can't control yourself young lady, there's going to be no more R rated films for you Carrie Ann.

By Whet on Monday, August 24, 1998 - 09:39 pm:

I don't care if the movie *is* a dog, I'm gonna go see it cause I like Sean and have liked him since the early bond days and if he makes a movie I'll keep going to see em until he really really stinks. Sure he's overtypically MALE in ways but what actor wasn't back in those days? I like him. Good or bad my choice.
    Like the old dude Q? in the bond films, the one that makes the flame throwing cig lighters and exploding fountain pens, the last movie he did thought they were gonna have to prop him up with a STICK and wiggle his lips and do a voice over to make it intelligible, but I STILL enjoyed seeing him in the film. For ole times sake if nothing else. i'm a little sentimental at times but i figure they did a lot of work over the years and entertained a lot of people, so one more time I'll shell out my $4.25 or whatever the matinee costs now even if I have to go alone. The popcorn is good (should be cause it costs more than the movie these days).
    So thats my plan for this sat afternoon, go see Avengers.
    Anybody wanna go meet me sat at the theatre on I85 south for the 4whatever show.

By PetRock on Monday, August 24, 1998 - 10:48 pm:

Don't do it Whet...it's not too late. Run away.

(but if you do go, don't say I didn't warn you)

By Carrie Ann on Monday, August 24, 1998 - 11:36 pm:

*light bulb flashes on above head*

Ohhhhhh yeah! I remember that scene now, Pete. *Reowwwwr* Gosh, how could I forget. And he was clad in only his newspaper and steam... woo nelly.

Awww but please Mister Liam Sir. I just MUST have my 'R' movies! ;) Was that rated R? Heh, man my memory is shot to hell lately. I've been doing too much work online and my brain cells are slowly being sucked into the computer screen. They're floating aimlessly around, lost in cyberspace. (There's a parody for ya. Make some Leslie Nielson-esque take off from Lost In Space.)

*walks in a daze to the fridge*.... must have more caffeinne. Actually I could go for a SoBe... Energy or Eros. NUM!

By Juliusman on Friday, September 4, 1998 - 02:35 pm:

Hey I saw Avengers and you guys and girls won't believe it but I got sick by seeing that movie! I seriously felt I had to throw up after watching that movie! It was senseless, crapy and of course a waste of money. They could have given that money to charities. Oh, well, but again, there arent' very good movies lately even if many say they are good they really aren't, see Titanic. LOL

juliusman

By ... eh ... on Monday, September 7, 1998 - 04:28 pm:

One thing about Sean Connery. I personally lost alot of respect for him when I saw 'ZARDOZ'. I might as well see this one too... I'll wait for video though.

On a side note, I do like that derby that I keep seeing in the preveiws. Nice hat.

By Carrie Ann on Thursday, September 10, 1998 - 04:26 pm:

Ralph Fiennes.... Ralph Fiennes..... Ralph Fiennes.... Ral-- *wakes up*wipes drool off chin*

Oh.. Hi. *looks around*

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact