The Big Lebouski

sorabji.com: Worst movie you ever saw: The Big Lebouski
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Event on Monday, January 4, 1999 - 03:33 am:

Every other word is "Dude" and "F#%@" GOD i just wanted to take the tape and bash it into a million pieces, of course, id have to pay the fine, so this became the first movie i havent finished, amazing

By Spiracle on Monday, January 4, 1999 - 02:30 pm:

you're crazy..that's the whole charm of the movie.
    jeff bridges is so hot..even when he's old
    and has gotten a belly..

By Chordata on Monday, January 4, 1999 - 02:45 pm:

well, i'm sure the makers of the big LEBOWSKI are plum delighted that you don't hate their movie.

By Agatha on Monday, January 4, 1999 - 08:34 pm:

i thought that movie rocked. i didn't expect to like it, but it's always a pleasant surprise to like a movie that looks horrible. my favorite part was when the anemic german crew were ordering a traditional american breakfast at a diner, with the girl's toe cut off. classic.

By Event on Monday, January 4, 1999 - 11:23 pm:

Chordata: LeboWski, there. I apologize for my spelling error, but it was 3:33am and WAY past my bedtime :) It is known that manual dexterity and hand eye coordination become more difficult as the night drags on. I'm sure you've experienced an all-nighter before..

By Chordata on Tuesday, January 5, 1999 - 10:54 am:

i have. sorry. i just love being a bitch, especially when i disagree with someone. have a nice day, even if you taste in movies is horribly skewed. :)

By Nate on Tuesday, January 5, 1999 - 12:50 pm:

I've seen the movie twice. the first time involved a lot of sex, so i missed a lot of the movie.

the second time involved a lot of drugs, and i ended up passing out.

great psychedelic bowling scenes, though. those boys make very psychedelic movies.

like the car chase in raising arizona. fucking nuts.

but anyway, i still haven't seen the whole thing straight through.

By Skottey on Monday, January 18, 1999 - 12:59 pm:

truly one of the best comedies I have ever seen. I loved this movie.

By MPM on Saturday, April 3, 1999 - 08:56 pm:

This is the worst fucking movie I've ever started watching. It's on now, and I'm at the PC because ANYWHERE is better than in front of the TV.

Dude, this Fucking sucks dude. Fuck.

By Swine on Saturday, April 3, 1999 - 09:25 pm:

just give up, man. you're totally out of your element.

By MPM on Saturday, April 3, 1999 - 09:30 pm:

Swine -

Explain to me the appeal. IT'S NOT FUNNY unless you're a BRAINDEAD STONER who can't understand anything more complex.

WHAT WAS FUNNY?

By R.C. on Saturday, April 3, 1999 - 10:12 pm:

Stoners are funny. That's what. Unless you're an Amish. Or Nancy Reagan. Who just oughta be toking major spilffs/being married to that ex-presidental alzheimer's zucchini.

I wonder how early in his term those symptoms really started...

By Big Kowalski on Sunday, April 4, 1999 - 01:27 am:

the symptoms started in the 70's...

By Cyst on Sunday, April 4, 1999 - 06:27 am:

I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember thinking it was a bit contrived and disjointed. movies shouldn't need narration, even if just at the start and end. but I was expecting a lot after fargo.

however, the jeff bridges character was really appealing to me. after I saw that, I understood the life I want to lead. I want to hang out in bowling alleys and dress badly and listen to ccr and drink white russians and go to the grocery store stoned.

it was nice to see another life open to me. I could do that.

like yesterday I saw a woman in the park. she was old, fat and ugly, and she was sitting on the bench, reading the paper and drinking a beer. I hardly ever see women drinking beer here, but she was. I mean, why not? who the hell would she be trying to impress? I could be her, too. she looked like she was feeling fine, out there wasting time in the sunshine.

By Semillama on Sunday, April 4, 1999 - 05:43 pm:

MPM probably doesn't realize the permanent effect of pot on increasing the range of your sense of humor.

MPM also probably didn't "get" Brain Candy, either.

By Swine on Sunday, April 4, 1999 - 05:44 pm:

i thought the john goodman character was funny as shit. a polish-catholic vietnam vet who adheres to jewish law as a tribute to his ex-wife? c'mon.
    i've been walking around telling people that they're "out of their element" for about two weeks now after watching that movie again.

but, of course, i may very well be a braindead stoner.

By Skottey on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 11:16 am:

MPM is a very strange person indeed.

By MPM on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 11:23 am:

Come on guys! Actually, John Goodman is the only thing that kept me interested in the first 45 minutes... Believe me, I've known (and been) a brain-dead stoner in my days. I just thought that the character was a little fake, and the whole "I'm the duuuude" thing was a bit overdone.

By Margret on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 11:26 am:

I loved that movie. It was funny. It was no "Raising Arizona," but it was funny, and the dream sequence bowling choreography with chorus line was magnificent.

By Nate on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 11:35 am:

i can't say i really care anymore who likes or doesn't like any movie.

i am, however, a braindead stoner.

By Skottey on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 11:41 am:

MPM is the DUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEE MAN!
    Your the Dude!

By MPM on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 11:46 am:

I transcribed the movie for all of you who were too stoned to remember it:

Dude! Dude? FUCK! Dude... Fuck? Dude?!?! Fuck. DUDE!!! {repeat for 90 minutes}

If you want GOOD mindless comedy, try BASEketball, I laughed my ass off...

By Semillama on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 12:43 pm:

How about these lines:

"Wee're goi-ink too keeck your ahsss, Le-bauw-sskee!"

"Dude, I've got a beverage here!"

Forget dialogue:

The ferret scene.
    When The Dude goes over and does the pencil rubbing and it turns out to be a big cock.

countless other instances of mirth...

By Nate on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 12:57 pm:

i saw BASEketball the other night. it was funny, but no big lebowski. there were considerable 'dude' scenes, however.

By MPM on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 01:17 pm:

Base-ketball's Dude scene (the whole DUDE conversation) was excellent - you could actually understand that! THAT is clever comedy. And, like I said, John Goodman was excellent in TBL. And I did like the scene the first time Dude meets Mr. Lebowski and puts the shades on, and the rug tying the whole room together.

But just barely.

By MPM on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 01:18 pm:

Base-ketball's Dude scene (the whole DUDE conversation) was excellent - you could actually understand that! THAT is clever comedy. And, like I said, John Goodman was excellent in TBL. And I did like the scene the first time Dude meets Mr. Lebowski and puts the shades on, and the rug tying the whole room together.

But just barely.

By MPM on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 01:18 pm:

But just barely.

By Nate on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 01:42 pm:

ok, dude. just shut the fuck up.

By Skottey on Tuesday, April 6, 1999 - 03:56 pm:

Yeh Dude, shut UP! HA!

MPM is the Duuuuuuuuuudddddddddeeeeeeee!

By Nate on Tuesday, April 6, 1999 - 05:29 pm:

skottey, you too. just shut the fuck up.

By J on Monday, May 3, 1999 - 10:06 am:

well butter my buns and call me a biscuit,I must be braindead too.I loved that movie,just the look on Jeff Bridges face in the dream sequence had me on the floor.I live in Arizona and I won 2 movie tickets and a t-shirt from the Arizona Republic for answering a question in the yak back section.The question was"What movie made you cry that you,re embarrasssed to tell anyone about"I responded"I cried when they hit Jeff Bridges in the head in the Big Lebowski.I thought they killed him.Then he had that acid trip and came to.I was pretty looped."I gave the t-shirt to a friend,because it was purple and three times to big.

By J on Tuesday, April 18, 2000 - 11:46 am:

Bowling last night,that song came on.. I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in,the song they played as he was tripping when they knocked him out. I think I had a moment of zen,then I bought some pin of an angel with a bowling ball some girls were selling.It,s cute but not as cute as the monk with the bowling ball sucking his thumb figurine I got for 50 cents less than the pin.

By Jen on Monday, December 4, 2000 - 02:39 pm:

This is a great movie made by the all-time great Cohen brothers. If the word "dude" annoyed you, you missed the humor in the movie. Guess you didn't figure out that it was an exaggeration.

By patrick on Monday, December 4, 2000 - 02:52 pm:

im surprised i never offered mine on this flic. I absolutely loved this film.....

the line up doesnt get much better, with Buscemi, Goodman and Bridges....

"Tonight, Jesus will FUCK YOU IN THE ASS"

i bowl semi-regularly at the alley where they filmed this. Hollywood Star Lanes baby!

when i was in NYC, John Goodman was waiting to board a flight to LA, i was on stand by for....i wanted to tell him i thought that was one of his best gigs, but when some lady came up and asked for an autograph and seeing his subsequent look of displeasure i decided to leave him alone.

By Trace on Tuesday, December 5, 2000 - 08:11 am:

I would be pissed if some shit head came in and pissed on my rug because he thought I was someone else.
    You have to love the stupidity of it all

By J on Tuesday, December 5, 2000 - 10:55 am:

I wish I had the nerve to go out in public in my robe,you can't get more laid back than that,I hope to reach that state soon,getting there.When I was younger and my kids and husband were asleep,I did you to drive up to a drive through liquor store,but it was drive through.I use to drop spawn off at school in my jammies,if they gave me shit in the morning,I'd make a point to get out of the van just to humiliate them,no skin off my ass.

By J on Tuesday, December 5, 2000 - 10:57 am:

use to not you

By Trace on Tuesday, December 5, 2000 - 10:58 am:

I bet that was a sight

By J on Tuesday, December 5, 2000 - 11:45 am:

The look of horror on their faces was priceless.

By Skooter on Wednesday, December 6, 2000 - 11:46 pm:

"Duuude..your being very undude...or...They got us working in shifts!
    Your revolution is over Lebowski, the Bums lost!"
    I think that this is a test to see how much like the Dude you really are. If you are like the Dude, then you love the Dude...if you don't have any dudeness is you, then you hate the movie.
    "Give us da money lebowski!" MY Girlfreind cut off her toe!"

By J on Thursday, December 7, 2000 - 12:21 am:

I love the Dude.I am the Dudette.

By ANDY on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 05:00 pm:

all you fuckers who didnt like the movie can suck my... well you know what.

THIS MOVEI ROCKS!!!!1

By Nate on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 07:07 pm:

cock? did you mean to say cock?

By patrick on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 07:10 pm:

im pretty sure i wont be doing any cocksucking of cocksuckers who say cock-mouthed things about certain movies.

By Nate on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 07:25 pm:

cockmouth. "damn, brush your teeth. you've got some mean cockmouth."

By patrick on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 07:26 pm:

better than assmouth. thats the worst, especially if you get hung up on the recycling tip of it all.

By The on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 01:32 am:

I'm just pissed 'cause they stole my life and made a movie of it.
    The Dude abides!

By wisper on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 05:56 pm:

there was a point where i would watch this movie twice a week.

"this isn't vietnam Walter, we have rules!"

By wisper on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 06:01 pm:

the Internet Movie Database tells me:
    ---
    In the TV version of the movie, there are many edited words, seeing as the word "fuck" is used over 200 times in the movie, but the most noticible change is when John Goodman smashes the car and screams "You see what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass?" In the TV version he says "You see what happens when you have fun with a stranger in the Alps?"

By patrick on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 06:58 pm:

yes..i rented it for the 4th time recently...we drank and laughed our asses off. I think its one of the best acting jobs John Goodman and Jeff Bridges have ever done.

and that must have been the best day of filming for John when he go to smash that car up.

we go bowling where that was filmed frequently.

By SmartAss on Monday, July 2, 2001 - 12:33 pm:

Just how frequently did they film it there?

By El Duderino on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 02:06 pm:

Um ya, how can anybody say that the Big Lebouski isnt one of, if not the funneist movie ever made. Jeff Bridges(the dude) is a great actor, John Goodman (Walter Sobchek) plays a pefect Vietnam veteran, always complaing about how his "buddies died face down in the mud" and of course "Shomber Shabas." The Germans, haha, the germans were great "we will fucks you up." And JESUS, the funniest pedder ass iv seen, eight year olds dude. And let me tell all u who think the movie is stupid or boring, all u have to do is listen to the dialog that goes on between Walter(John Goodman) and the Dude(Jeff Bridges). I mean come on, iv seen it like 48 times and its still the funniest movie ive ever seen. Just got to listen and watch for all the small things. ITS THE GREATES MOVIE EVER. ALL U HATERS CAN SUCK MY DICK.

By El Duderino on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 02:11 pm:

um ya wisper i love ur use of quotes but come on the line isnt "this isn't vietnam Walter, we have rules!" its "Smokey, this is bowling, not nam. We have rules."

By El Duderino on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 02:15 pm:

MPM SUCK MY DICK. Just cause u dont have a sense of humor u have to rip on people who are funny. And in this case EXTREMELY FUNNY.

By NOBODY fucks with Jesus on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 04:21 pm:

Very, very funny film. I especially enjoyed the bit about the Port Huron statement with the compromised first graph. But wait, are the Cohen Brothers saying that the Students for a Democratic Society were a bunch of braindead stoners???

By El Duderino on Thursday, August 1, 2002 - 12:49 am:

God MPM, u just dont get it do u. Its clever comdey, not out right ridiculous stuff u see in movies like Dumb and Dumber or Austin Powers. Its suttle. And the Cohan brotheres are geniuses. Also MPM(dumb ass) the reason the word Dude is used so much in this wonderfull movie is because its his nick name, not a word but a name. Come on it like complaing that they use the "word" Walter to much or Lebowski. Don't be such a horses ass.

-The man in the black pajamas, now that a worthy adversary, just me and charles eyeball to eyeball.
    -Who was in pajamas Walter
    -Shut the fuck up Donny
    -------Walter explaining to the Dude about the differences of Desert Storm and Vietnam.

By semillama on Thursday, August 1, 2002 - 09:33 am:

MPM hasen't posted since 1999.

I take it the Big Lebowski informs your entire
    world view. You're reacting like a christian who
    secretly doubts his faith.

and it's the Cohen Brothers, not Cohan.

Dude.

By El Duderino on Sunday, August 4, 2002 - 03:04 pm:

semillama,
    so what if it does. Its a great movie. And its not like i watch it all day. Just when im not doing anything, whitch is most of the time. And i just talk about him so when other people read this they dont read his and belive it.

By Nate on Sunday, August 4, 2002 - 07:05 pm:

lindenberry pancakes are the german flag of IHOP's international pancake selections.

just a three and a half year late FYI.

By patrick on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 11:50 am:

i bowled for the last time this weekend at Hollywood Star Lanes. Some of my best bowling ever.

My last 10th frame was a spare and a strike...what a way to go out.

El Duderino, your so un-Dude like.

By kazoointoit on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 06:00 pm:

I don't know why but about 45 minutes into the movie I realized I hadn't laughed once and so I turned it off. I've been told by several people that if I were to have watched it with them, I would have laughed. Sem's betting me dinner that I'll laugh when I watch it with him.

We shall see....

By patrick on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 06:02 pm:

oh my.

we're you sleep walking?

By Nate on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 12:31 am:

you're getting the aposthrophes all wrong today, patty.

By kazoointoit on Tuesday, August 6, 2002 - 09:02 am:

Nice proofreading Nathe

By Lampshade on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 07:14 pm:

yeah man, yeah!

By Joe on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 12:59 am:

bowling is great.

By semillama on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 03:59 pm:

I go to collect my dinner this weekend. I am driving down to see kazoo and am bringing my copy of The Big Lebowski with me. Any and all laughs count. There's no way I am losing this one.

You hear me, sweetie? No way!! No way in Heeyy-yellll!!!!!

By J on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 01:42 am:

Kazoo,you are in for a treat

By kazoo on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:19 am:

I just hope that after today, I have the energy to laugh at anything.

By Spider on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 05:24 pm:

Kazoo, did you laugh?

Shoot, I've never smoked pot, and I loved this movie.

Jesus is the best. Jesus made me laugh my ass off.

By kazoo on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 05:32 pm:

Yes. Yes, I did.

By semillama on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 07:52 pm:

Victory is Mine!!

By J on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 06:14 pm:

I finally went out in public in my jammies last month to the grocery store and Blockbuster,I lived my Lebowski fantasy:)

By wisper on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 07:02 pm:

yeah!

but did you open and drink some milk in a store? Or pay for things with a check dated for several years in the future?

you're still my hero, thought :)

By sarah on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 03:13 pm:

i finally saw this movie saturday night. i liked it quite a bit. i loved the classic coen brothers trippy film sequences set to music, especially the one where it's as if the camera lens is the eye of a bowling ball rolling down the lane toward the pins. great stuff.

my favorite character was maude. she stole the show, next to john turretino. or however you spell his last name.

my favorite part is when the dude mixes himself a "caucasian" at maude's place, using vodka, kahlua, and powdered coffee creamer. damn, that's dedication.

btw, i had such a great weekend in dallas!

By Antigone on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 03:27 pm:

Jeez! Everyone comes to Dallas and doesn't call me.

Sigh. I'm a pariah. :(

By spunky on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 03:54 pm:

i keep forgetting you are up there

By J on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 05:35 pm:

What part of texas is Droopy from?

By Spider on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 05:38 pm:

Ft. Worth.

By eri on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:17 pm:

Tiggy, we do have plans to visit you next time we go up to Denton....gotta get my van fixed up before we can go anywhere, though.

UMMMM, would you be willing to meet us in Denton if we weren't able to get all the way over there?

I will keep you posted on when that is, probably late this fall, early winter.

By J on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 05:48 pm:

I wish somebody would check on Droopy,I worry about him. Lord Texas is big.

By Juanote on Monday, July 5, 2004 - 03:13 am:

yeah

By Antigone on Monday, July 5, 2004 - 12:54 pm:

I am Lord Texas, and I am big.

If someone could provide me with a name, phone number, or address for the droopster I'd be happy to check on him. (via e-mail, of course)

By Antigone on Monday, July 5, 2004 - 12:56 pm:

Jeez. I fell for the "post on a dead thread" troll.

But my offer still stands.

By agatha on Monday, July 5, 2004 - 02:52 pm:

I don't think he has internet access these days, or at least he didn't for a while.

By J on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 04:51 pm:

Doesn't Spider have his snail mail?

By Antigone on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 05:01 pm:

Hmmm.. By "via e-mail, of course" I meant to send me the info via e-mail. If someone gives me an address I'd be happy to find droopy and make sure he's OK.

By Spider on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 05:07 pm:

Yeah, I have it, but dumbass Antigone didn't post his own email address, so how am I supposed to send it to him? Huh? Huh?

Also, I haven't written to Droopy in, my God, a year? Maybe more? God, I suck.

Antigone, if you write to him, tell him I'm sorry I'm such a lazy, shiftless ass.

By Antigone on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 05:22 pm:

Fuck the you!

By Antigone on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 05:23 pm:

Why don't you write to him first and ask him to reply. If he doesn't reply, dispatch me to the scene, chicka!

By Spider on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 06:07 pm:

Because I don't feel like it. So YOU write him.

Email fired and incoming.

By Antigone on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 06:58 pm:

You don't feel like it? Sheeeeeeit, I'm offering to do this for anyone who cares enough about him to check on him. If you don't care enough to write a letter, why should I drive 50 miles?

By Spider on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 07:19 pm:

Um, you offered to contact him and asked for his address. I gave it to you. Now you won't go unless I care enough? You brought it up, you go or don't go. This has nothing to do with me.

By sarah on Friday, July 9, 2004 - 11:25 am:

i want droop's snail mail please.

By agatha on Friday, July 9, 2004 - 12:19 pm:

Children, settle down!

Spider, can you send me his last known address? I'm not sure if the one I have is current anymore.

By Cat on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:38 pm:

I have his phone number. Want me to call him?

By Cat on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:46 pm:

Don't answer that. I'll call him anyway.

By moonit on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 04:10 am:

Cat! Where abouts in Oz are you?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact