A few bad movies

sorabji.com: Worst movie you ever saw: A few bad movies
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Lawanda on Saturday, June 19, 1999 - 03:16 pm:

The Columbus movie with Gerard Depardoo-doo. I think it was named "Columbus, 1492". Very long, very boring.

"The Big Blue" The first scene is Rebecca DeMornay playing a scientist getting off a plane in the artic in high heels. It gets worse.

Mostly everything with Sting or James Spader. One exception to the James Spader rule is "Sex, Lies, and Videotape". Can't think of any exception to the Sting rule. And I'm a big fan of his music, but his acting really stinks.

By Worse than Istar not as if Ive seen it or something on Saturday, June 19, 1999 - 03:38 pm:

Waiting for Guffman, starring some of those Second City types and Parker Posey. It was a spoof on community theater, but the people who made it were really laughing at anyone who would watch this crap of a film.

By R.C. on Saturday, June 19, 1999 - 04:18 pm:

Spader was quite good (& almost unrecognizable) as a sleazy guy in "Keys to Tulsa" (1997).

I still think "Showgirls" is one of the Worst Movies of the Century. But now/it's achieved a certain so-bad-it-s good campiness.

By Bagpuss on Saturday, June 19, 1999 - 10:55 pm:

The Big Blue is gorgeous and Sting was in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels thereby proving that every rule has an exception.

Why does Parker Posey exist?

By Gee on Sunday, June 20, 1999 - 04:25 am:

"Leolo"

By Agatha on Sunday, June 20, 1999 - 02:07 pm:

i loved the movie "leolo". i also liked "waiting for guffman." the worst movie i ever saw was so bad that i don't even remember the name of it. it was some science fiction thing where this crew goes out to rescue this spaceship that is abandoned in space, and the ship possesses them. i think lawrence fishburne was in it, and robert duvall. it was horrific. i found "gummo", the second movie by the guy who directed "kids" to be completely disturbing and unenjoyable. it was not without merit entirely, however. it was about the totally fucked up lives of these poor folk in ohio. it made me cry.

By Margret on Sunday, June 20, 1999 - 02:37 pm:

Lawrence Fishburne and Sam Niell. Event Horizon. I thought it blew chunks, too.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, June 20, 1999 - 04:27 pm:

"The Best Intentions", directed by Ingmar (sp?) Bergman. I was utterly convinced that it would NEVER END and I'd be trapped in the theatre forever.

That John Grisham movie with Sandra Bullock.

"Rome Adventure"

By R.C. on Sunday, June 20, 1999 - 05:07 pm:

LOL! I was forced to sit thru "Best Intentions" w/a bunch of pretentious wanna-be filmmakers during film school. They insisted I *had* to see this flick/that it was so intensly powerful & deep. But I had enjoyed "Fanny & Alexander" & "The Seventh Seal"/so I figured I'd like "Best Intentions" too.

Good grief -- I was ready to scream 45 min. into the movie! Except for that really beautiful church in the midst of all that snow & ice/there weren't even any visuals to keep you from falling asleep.

And they all raved abt how great it was afterwards. That one is definitely on my 10 Worst List.

By Lucy Phurre on Sunday, June 20, 1999 - 07:29 pm:

"The Faculty" was just like "The Breakfast Club", only with aliens.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, June 20, 1999 - 08:54 pm:

The only value I found in "The Best Intentions" is that whenever I'm really cold at night, I remember how the man had to sleep with his coat on in that cell-like room when he was in med school. Otherwise it qualifies as Inquisition-style torture. Because when it DID end, your first thought was, what the fuck was that? Why in God's almighty name did it end there and not 3 hours ago? Is my brain all right? Is it still turned on?

I'm so glad you hated it, too, R.C.! Everyone I know who's seen it loved it and I know they're lying.

By R.C. on Monday, June 21, 1999 - 02:44 am:

THANK YOU! I know those pretentious fucks were lying too/but everybody claimed to have loved it.

But I have a problem w/some oft he 'great directors' & their work. Like Kurosawa (RIP). I had seen "Ran" & "Dreams" & dug them both But I thought 'Rashomon' sucked. Maybe it was becuz it was made in the 1950's/but I never felt the acting was convincing. It had that same stilted/self-conscious quality that the performaces in American films of the 1930 & 40's all have. It was way too stylized for me to be caught up in the story. I didn't care abt the girl who'd been raped/much less who actually did it. It just really left me cold -- I cdn't see the genius behind the film at all.

But I've only seen it once/in film school. Perhaps I need to rent it & watch it again. I've never been able to admit hating that movie/ becuz everyone thinks Kirosawa was God. So this was very cathartic for me.

Thank you.

By J on Monday, June 21, 1999 - 04:41 pm:

I didn,t see The Faculty,now I guess I won,t,but I bought the C.D. and like almost every song on it.

By Gee on Monday, June 21, 1999 - 05:43 pm:

"Leolo" was disgusting. I wouldn't watch that movie again if you Paid me.

"Event Horizon" was darn boring, but I'll say I liked it anyway because I saw it the last time I was in California, and far be it from me to say a cross word about California. American theaters have the Best popcorn.

The first time I saw "Glen or Glenda" I thought it was so bad it was good. Every time I've seen it since then it's just been bad. Yet something keeps me coming back for more...

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact