Battlefield Travolta

sorabji.com: Worst movie you ever saw: Battlefield Travolta
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By PetRock on Thursday, April 27, 2000 - 10:02 pm:

I can't even say that I saw this movie. I saw perhaps an hour of it and then we walked out. I'm ashamed to admit that I even saw that much of it. Utter crap. Huge waste of time. I would say that it was also a waste of my money but since I had a pass to see it free, I didn't cost me anything (well, I DID spend $1.40 to take the train up to the theater).

I can't even begin to say how bad this movie sucked. THIS is the movie that John Travolta has been itching to get made for the past X number of years??? THIS movie??? Am I missing something here? Who wrote this shit? Travolta does another dog like this and he'll be doing "Look Who's Talking 4" next. I mean, I sensed that with his last movie, The General's Daughter (which ironically was another movie that I saw for free at this same theater) that Johnny boy was pushing his luck. And John was so cool in Pulp Fiction and then Get Shorty.

And now Battlefield Earth. Mr. Scientology decides he simply MUST get to the screen the blatherings of his late, unlamented guru - L. Ron Hubbard. Why even bother? This thing made no sense what-so-ever. Why was Travolta made up to look like an extraterrestial Klingon but spoke not just like a human being but an American to boot. This was supposed to be an alien?

This movie sucked so bad I'm really at a loss for words. Do yourself a favor and stay away. If you have to see a movie, and your only two options were Pippi Longstocking or Battlefield Earth, I'd choose Pippi. Know what I mean???

Two thumbs down. Way way way down.

(Beat ya to it PJ Boy! *G*)

By R.C. on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 01:21 am:

See what mind-control cults will make you do?

But I never cared for Travolta anyway. Not in 'Urban Cowboy'. Not in 'Grease'. Not in anything. Even Vinne Barbarino got on my nerves.

Maybe after 'Battlefield' flops/Hollywood will tell him to take his comeback millions & fly his ass back to Massachusettes. Permanently.

By semillama on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 10:46 am:

You mean that piece of grbage is out already? Pshaw.

I'm waiting for Gladiator, even though I know it took quite a few liberites with historical accuracy (Thumbs up meant the audience wanted the loser to die, not live, etc).

I am also waiting for the "X-men" movie like the fanboy I am.

By patrick on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 12:08 pm:

If you wish to not line the pockets of the Scientologists, please do pay to see this movie. Who do you think made this movie? It's based on one of the first books from the asshole Hubbard. Fucking miserable kook! Seriously, this movie is made by scientologists and is based on Hubbard doctrine......evade it at all costs.....

this gossip was provided by insiders if there is any doubt.

By J on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 12:12 pm:

I will not see anything that has to do with L.Ron Hubbard.I can,t wait to see what Patrick has to say about this.

By J on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 12:16 pm:

Oh,he already did,I knew he would.

By PetRock on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 01:22 pm:

I'm just waiting for PajamaBoy's take on this one. We saw it together - walked out of it together as well. I'm just surprised we stuck it out as long as we did....

When it came to the part about the Psychlos (the aliens of which John is one) letting 3 of the "man-animals" (ie humans) escape (or letting them think they've escaped) and the aliens waiting around to see what the the first food they eat (the theory being: they will eat what they like best first and then the aliens can use that food as a way to bribe the humans) and THEN the humans start eating rats because they are so hungry and the aliens think "a-ha...rats must be their favorite food....look. They're eating them raw!"...well I knew this movie was on a fast steep slippery slope into crap-dom.

So...what of the movie that I did manage to see - I'm still completely mystified by it. Made no sense to me at all. Course I'm not real big on sci-fi but really. I mean....bleeeeeechhhhh! Raw rats? Uh...yeah. Ok....whatever you say L. Ron Hubbard.

By Rhiannon on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 01:29 pm:

Are raw rats supposed to be a symbol for something?

By Patrick on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 01:35 pm:

if i could launch a campaign to stop people from seeing i would. unfortuantely, middle america just sees it as another travolta bomb...they don't see they are actually funding one of the more evil church's of this earth.

By Nate on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 01:53 pm:

i'm going to watch it.

but before thurs.

so you can dispatch me if you need to, patrick.

By J on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 02:16 pm:

Well it,s good to know PajammaBoy is still alive,I have wondered why he,s been gone so long.I remember doing a search for him and actually finding a thread from sorabji that was pretty funny,with pjboy,RC,and some gal named Dani that was pretty funny.Tell him janny says hi.

By patrick on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 02:24 pm:

i talked with him the other day, sent an email.

By patrick on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 02:25 pm:

was telling him that there are expected to be about 1 million gay men and women in DC this weekend and told him if he had troubling scoring i was gonna be pissed.

By J on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 02:38 pm:

Well tell him janny says hi.Does he have a site or webpage?Maybe he,s getting ready for the weekend,I hope he scores then at least he,ll come back here to brag,ha ha.

By Jim aka Pajama on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 09:26 pm:

OK ok ok. Petebaby you did beat me to this. This is my first posting on here in WEEKS!

He is absolutely right. Worst piece of bung I've ever seen. That whole rat thing was gross. I was just stunned more people didn't follow us out when we got up to leave.

We then progressed across the street to a pizza joint where we encountered a couple of secret service guys and for clinton cabinetmember Robert Reich.

An all around odd evening. Oh, and oddly enuf, twas Pete and I that saw General's Daughter and Markus was supposed to join us, but he got there late and only saw the last couple minutes.

Feels like I was never away from here.

By Gee on Saturday, April 29, 2000 - 03:11 am:

speaking of the X-Men movie (someone did somewhere), one of the girls I work with was all excited because they filmed it a block from her house.

I have low expectations. super-hero/comic book movies are really hard to pull off. I'm one of those people who gets really mad when they don't do everything exactly the way it was done in the comic book.

By semillama on Saturday, April 29, 2000 - 02:41 pm:

Probably shouldn't see the X-men then.

I think they are trying to keep the spirit of the books in the movie, though.

Plus, Ray Parks (Darth Maul) as the Toad - right on!

But, all is filler until Xmas 2001...

By J on Monday, May 1, 2000 - 02:30 am:

Hey!!! I just saw the comercial for that movie,how did PetRock and Jimbo see that movie when it isn,t even out yet?

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, May 1, 2000 - 08:13 am:

J- Free preview. NYAH NYAH! ;-)

By semillama on Monday, May 1, 2000 - 12:50 pm:

You still got ripped off.

By PetRock on Wednesday, May 3, 2000 - 06:21 am:

Exactly semillama....I had to pay a buck + change to take the metro out to the theater. I want my money back!!!

I think the movie comes out later this month. I'm surprised they held sneak previews so early for this one - seeing how badly it stunk. Were they hoping that people were going to come out of this movie raving about it to their friends???

Honestly, I felt unclean after leaving that movie...I had an overwhelming desire to go wash my hands.

By Jim aka Pajama on Wednesday, May 3, 2000 - 09:07 am:

...and skin a rat!!! MMmmmmmm.

By J on Wednesday, May 3, 2000 - 01:39 pm:

LOL!

By Gee on Wednesday, May 10, 2000 - 02:32 am:

you know, I had no interest in seeing the movie before I read all of this. now I kinda want to see it.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 10, 2000 - 01:07 pm:

don't put it past the scientologists to have a bus ready and waiting outside the theater, to take your hypnotized ass to the "compound".

Today i am "lucky", the assholes are closing down the street here at work to have a premier for that fucking thing at the theater across the street.

don't ever put anything past scientologists.....ANYTHING..this movie is just propganda, it has no redeeming cinematic value at all.

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 10, 2000 - 02:46 pm:

I read about fifty pages of Dianetics a long time ago. All I remember is some bullshit about a fetus knowing it was about to be aborted, and that was enough for me.

By Gee on Thursday, May 11, 2000 - 12:59 am:

aside from petrock and Jim, have any of you people ever seen the movie or read the book? I saw the book in the library and thought I might sign it out in a few weeks.

By Margret on Thursday, May 11, 2000 - 09:54 am:

I read the book. Go ahead and check it out! It will cure you of the desire to ever read any L. Ron again, believe me. I read it in highschool. It's genuinely mediocre-to-suck.

By Antigone on Thursday, May 11, 2000 - 10:59 pm:

Battlefield Earth is the only book I had to stop
    reading. I got 50 pages into it and never picked
    it up again...

By J on Friday, May 12, 2000 - 01:35 pm:

My husband read the book,told me not to waste my time,it was rated a stinker here,one star out of five.What,s with all that hair hanging out of his nose?

By Antigone on Friday, May 12, 2000 - 08:10 pm:

Despite all this, I'm going to see it anyway. My
    girlfriend and I have a pact to go see every scifi
    movie released...

By J on Friday, May 12, 2000 - 08:45 pm:

Lookin forward to your reveiw,be honest.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact