"On the Beach"

sorabji.com: Worst movie you ever saw: "On the Beach"
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Cat on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 06:35 pm:

Ok it wasn't a movie, but a TV mini-series. It's based on the Neville Shute book of the same name (don't worry if you don't know him, he's one of ours). It's all about nuclear holocaust, except there's no redeeming hope and no Sly or Arnie coming in to save any asses and all these cute families end up committing suicide huddled in each other's arms.

I couldn't sleep last night thanks to the remaining sense of total despair. Having bad sad hopeless endings should be illegal.

By TBone on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 06:38 pm:

I kinda like movies like that.

They're far too rare in the states. I rent lots
    of strange foreign movies.

By Dougie on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 06:43 pm:

Cat, do you like Breaker Morant? Great movie. About the only Aussie film I know. On the Beach was a good book, but never saw the film. I caught part of some Aussie film on tv about a blind guy and his travails. About all I remember. I love foreign movies, Bergman films, anything from France. One of my fave foreign films is Pelle the Conqueror.

By Cat on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 07:32 pm:

I like foreign movies too, like "American Beauty", "Schindler's List", "As Good As It Gets", just to name a few (ha! little "in" joke there).

No there's some real treasures sitting there with subtitles on them. "My Life As A Dog" was the first foreign film I saw and it changed the way I looked at movies forever more. "Life is Beautiful" is probably my all-time favourite, though I really hate using the word "favourite" to describe anything since it can change so often. As soon as I just nominated "Life", I started thinking about "Babette's Feast" and "Cinema Paradiso".

I'm seeing "Chocolat" next week, so that should be interesting. Not that it's particularly foreign, but I just wanted to show how cultured I really am.

"Breaker Morrant" was good for it's time. We've really done well with satire too, check out "Strictly Ballroom" if you like your comedy espresso-coloured. And of course, "Muriel's Wedding" for the ABBA songs alone. There's also this little-known documentary called "Canetoads", which had me nostril-spewing lemonade, but my taste in comedy tends towards the disturbed.

Wasn't "Pelle" from Denmark? It was pretty fabulosi anyways.

By patrick on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 07:55 pm:

what was that aussie punker film with adam ant and the guy from inxs in it?

know what im talkin bout?

i saw cecil be demented the other night. cute...very cute. waters has his schtick down to a science.

By Dougie on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 08:04 pm:

Not sure if it was made by Danes or Swedes. I was rooting for the Swedes since my father's parents' parents were from there.

By dave. on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 08:31 pm:

what about the quiet earth? i loved that fucking movie, especially the first half.

By dave. on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 08:32 pm:

patrick, are you talking about romper stomper?

By agatha on Friday, February 9, 2001 - 12:42 am:

No, he's talking about Dogs in Space. I wept for an entire day after seeing Pelle the Conqueror.

Dave and I went on one of our first dates to see Romper Stomper. That should tell you something right there about our relationship.

By J on Friday, February 9, 2001 - 12:55 am:

I read the book,it gave me nightmares
    .On the Beach

By patrick on Friday, February 9, 2001 - 12:35 pm:

YES! Dogs in Space......i knew it was dogs something.

i was thinking of A Boy and His Dog...that hilarious campy Don Johnson flick with his talking dog friend.

By Pug on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 08:58 am:

My whole stipulation is, hell----if we're dealing with the horrors of nuclear war, chances are Ah-nuld and Sly AREN'T coming to rescue us.....still haven't seen "Cecil B. Demented"---and I'm a big Waters fan, but the one copy at my video rental place is CHRONICALLY rented out....
    "A Boy and his Dog"----there's a great, sick masterpiece...killer satire...great, twisted ending. (Hey----Blood---pass the Uvula...)

By Pug on Sunday, February 11, 2001 - 03:31 pm:

Okay----just rented "CBD"---funny as hell---best laff I've had in a while. I relate way too much to the characters....

By moonit on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 01:34 am:

I bloody love Romper Stomper. That guy who played Russ's best mate (the not so bad skinhead) was so damn cute!

I loved East is East. Theres meant to be a really good kiwi movie just out called Stickmen, I've heard good things, but have yet to go see it.

I think I'm gonna drag someone along to Billy Elliot this weekend.

I dont do subtitles. sub-tit-les?

subtitle

sub tit

stuble

By Dougie on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 01:28 pm:

I rented Cecil B Demented on Friday. Didn't think that much of it, but could've just been that I wasn't in the mood. I liked Way of the Gun better, but talk about bloody...

By Pug on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 05:27 pm:

Anyone seen "Requiem for a Dream"? Didn't play where I'm at....

By Dougie on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 08:53 am:

I saw The Icestorm with Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver directed by Ang Lee on Bravo the other night. I thought it was really excellent -- I had never heard of it before. Thought it was as good or better than American Beauty. Was this ever out in cinemas? I don't remember seeing anything about it.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 01:18 pm:

Yes, it was out a few years ago. I think it got a couple Oscar nominations.

It's based on the book of the same name, written by Rick Moody. Rick Moody came to my writing class a few years ago. He was a neat man, but he tried too hard to look like Andy Warhol. I found that distracting.

I remember leaving that class and going home and writing a whole short story in one sitting. He *was* pretty inspiring, now that I think about it. Read his books.

By semillama on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 02:18 pm:

Dija hear Ang Lee's next project is "The Incredible Hulk?" I am not making this up.

By patrick on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 01:01 pm:

Way of the Gun was silly. Its like they started out as brokedick poor small time robbers and con artists, and by the end fo the movie they are pulling bullet proof vests and big ass machine guns outta nowehere. There were way to many points in the movie where I found myself saying "What the fuck was that?" Meaning the script had way too many inconsistancies and general bullshit for my liking.

By semillama on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 01:22 pm:

You want the worst movies ever made? Here.

I laughed so hard while reading this I am now in physical pain.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact