delicatessen: a meaty, post-apocaliptic comedy

sorabji.com: Best movie you ever saw: delicatessen: a meaty, post-apocaliptic comedy
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Paul mahar on Saturday, February 20, 1999 - 12:56 am:

The only movie that I have ever rewound as soon as it was done and immediatly watched over again. It is brilliant, satirical and unnerving...worth renting for the "bed-spring" scene alone.

By Margret on Sunday, February 21, 1999 - 11:34 am:

I watched this movie, found it thoroughly brilliant, forced a bunch of my housemates stoned friends to watch it when they tried to put robert palmer on my cd player, and watched the "non-sequel," "City of lost children." Got a question: the amazing actor in both of them, wasn't he one of the bad guys from "Diva"?

By Semillama on Sunday, February 21, 1999 - 02:09 pm:

Did you see Alien Resurrection? I love how they've turned what was a sci-fi action series into an art film series.

By Margret on Monday, February 22, 1999 - 10:24 am:

I like it in all its aspects, but have to admit that as far as art goes, the 3rd was my favorite. I liked the monastic effect, the completely overwritten theologica. Dig it, baybay. But nothing beats 1 for sheer pissing yer panties.

By Paul mahar on Monday, February 22, 1999 - 02:14 pm:

Wow, I do have some kindred spirits in the world; I kinda thought this was going to be a lonely site and can"t help feeling that it"s all done to appease some twisted need for vanity... Well anyway, I didn"t like "the city of lost children" all that much although the "Santa Clause" scene at the beginning was extreamly frightning. On a lighter note: has anyone seen (I think It's called) "Amazon woman on the moon"? there's this great skit with Ed Beigly Jr. where he plays the son of the invisable man...

By Semillama on Tuesday, February 23, 1999 - 11:03 am:

My favorite thing about Alien was that the chest burster scene was a suprise to all the actors (except the guy it happened to, of course). Supposedly, Ridley Scott didn't tell them what was going to happen really in the scene, so he could get genuine reactions. Pretty cool if it's true.

By Rhiannon on Monday, June 28, 1999 - 03:10 pm:

Ooh! Oooh! I loved "the City of Lost Children"! I loved the little brother! I loved the greasy man who owned the circus fleas! I loved the little boy in the knit cap! I loved the part when the scary bald man is eating dinner with the little brother, and the boy bites into a pepper, makes a nasty face, and keeps eating! Ack!

That's all I wanted to say.

By Waffleboy on Monday, June 28, 1999 - 03:15 pm:

ever see Greg Araki's The Doom Generation? There's a moview for ya, greatest collage of imagery i have ever seen

By Rhiannon on Monday, June 28, 1999 - 03:39 pm:

No, I haven't. Any chance it's available on video?

By Waffleboy on Monday, June 28, 1999 - 03:59 pm:

yeah it's on video, it's pretty steamy, it broke Rose McGowen into the hollywood scene as well as James Duvall from Independence day and some other flics.

It's pretty erotic, with some homoerotic subtones, rent it, your mom & pop video store may not have it ,but your alternative video store may,

By Quartz on Tuesday, June 29, 1999 - 01:04 pm:

Hey Paul and Margret,
    how did you manage to find "the Delicatessen" to watch. it just happened to appear on Bravo chanel tv in my case. don't know how they thought of or how they created some of those wild scenes.

By Bjeezus on Wednesday, May 3, 2000 - 02:41 pm:

delicatessen is one of the greatest films ever made
    flauless dirrection and script
    one of the few films that improves with watching
    as for alien 4 it was piss though
    the whole point of the alien films is that you rarely see them
    in 4 there running and swimming and doin the godamn hokey cokey such a waste

By semillama on Wednesday, May 3, 2000 - 07:29 pm:

You're out of your mind you slackless fool.
    It had a great cast, although not as great as Alien3. and the hybrid alien was incredibly creepy. When you first see its eyes, and how human they are- how much you can read into that monster from the eyes-pure genius.

By Isolde on Thursday, May 4, 2000 - 09:13 pm:

Dilicatessen was _the most_ fucked up movie I have every seen, after this even worse Hungarian movie I won't even name. Anyway. D was seriously one of the wierdest movies I have ever seen. You, bjeezus, are totally INSANE. I still have nightmares about it.

By Gee on Wednesday, May 10, 2000 - 02:40 am:

oh Semillama.

the first and second ones rocked, the third one was silly and the fourth one was just a waste of time.

scarey aliens with human qualities are Not an original creation.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 10, 2000 - 08:51 am:

I politely disagree.

If anything, the second one was the most mindless, but it was directed by James Cameron.

I mean, how original is the group of people fighting the hordes of aliens?

The more I think about it, the third was the best.

By Margret on Wednesday, May 10, 2000 - 09:50 am:

YES! YES! I like it when directors take overwritten scripts and say 'ah, fuck it, if I take it just that tinch beyond over the top, it has become sublime.'

You know why this is important?

Because IT IS! The third one ROCKED! Because it dealt with philosophical issues. Because it interrogated faith! Damn you, Gee, for making me think about it.

The first one had the best story/suspense.
    The second one had the best one-liners and cast (I love you Bill Paxton! I love you Lance Henriksen!)
    The third one was the best movie, that is the best treatment adapted to being filmic and all that.
    The fourth one had super Sigourney.
    The Ice Storm was better than all of them, though.

By JusMiceElf on Wednesday, May 10, 2000 - 11:13 am:

Isolde, that Hungarian movie wouldn't be Season of Monsters, would it? I mean, I guess it's not fucked up the same way Delicatessen is, but it's just plain weird, and nearly impossible to follow.

By Isolde on Thursday, May 11, 2000 - 12:36 am:

No, it's not. There's a boat with a woman singing Avanti Popolo in it. It's really bugging me, actually, I want to remember the title. Happiness? No. Something odd like that, though.

By JusMiceElf on Thursday, May 11, 2000 - 09:03 am:

Isolde, any other info you can recall? Director's name? I've seen more than my share of weird Hungarian films; I took a class in East European film in college with an Hungarian professor.

One that I can't recall the title of had a very similar premise to Slding Doors, but without Gwenneth Paltrow

By Isolde on Thursday, May 11, 2000 - 11:18 pm:

Hmm...I'm thinking. It gets really crude...there's a scene where a bunch of people are sitting at a tale eating piss and shit, and scene where this millionaire marries this woman and coats her with rubbing alchohol before he has sex with her. Later, the woman is in this odd structure with an amazingly well-hung black man who is, essentially, raping her. There's a scene where these people are having sex in sugar (salt?). I remember scenes of it really well, but I can't remember the premise or the title. I'm starting to go bonkers trying to figure this out. Argh. I think I'm going into town tommorrow to mail off this Zippo and maybe I'll check the video store when I go in. (I really need to see the doctor, but I need an excuse other than that. I think I need to work again. Soon.)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact