Das Boot, or How I Learned to Temporarily Root for the Nazis

sorabji.com: Best movie you ever saw: Das Boot, or How I Learned to Temporarily Root for the Nazis
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dougie on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 02:43 pm:

This is one of the best, not the best, but I don't think I have a "the best." Anywho, I had always been meaning to, so I rented Das Boot director's cut last night -- unfortunately, it was dubbed instead of subtitled. Probably would've been even more powerful to hear German being spoken (even though I don't speak German). Awesome movie. Interesting to see a ww2 film made from the German perspective, where they're not all evil incarnate. The sense of claustrophobia living aboard that boat, the sense of hysteria from being depth charged or being crushed by pressure by diving too deep, the sense of comraderie, the exhiliration at sinking a destroyer or escaping after being trapped on the bottom of the strait of gilbraltar, were all amazingly captured. Along with the usual "war, what is it good for? absolutely nothin say it again" message. Best part -- the entire German crew singing, "It's a long way to Tipperary." Definitely worth the close to 4 hours of couch time. My 2 pfennigs' worth.

By Margret on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 02:58 pm:

Jurgen Prochnow is an uber-hottie.

By Dougie on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 03:47 pm:

I thought he kind of looked like Quint (Robert Shaw) in Jaws.

By PetRock on Wednesday, May 3, 2000 - 06:26 am:

If you want to see a *ahem* rip-off of Das Boot, go see U-571. Not exactly the same movie but close enough.

The fact that this was based on a true story, but Hollyweird, with its' infinite wisdom, changed the heroes from the British to Americans...well that kind of ruined the movie for me. What's the matter? Couldn't they find enough talented ENGLISH PEOPLE? Or was it just that Matthew McConnaghy (sp) couldn't master a Brit accent?

By Gee on Wednesday, May 10, 2000 - 02:41 am:

who did jon bon jovi play in that movie?

By Yo mama on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 06:32 am:

FUCK THE NAZIS

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact