Deadman

sorabji.com: Best movie you ever saw: Deadman
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By PeriPheral on Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - 01:29 am:

This is a Jim Jarmusch film that I have watched several times. I catch something new each viewing. Johnny Depp stars as William Blake, an accountant travelling west from Cleveland to the town of Machine (state?) to start a new job. To do it some justice, Machine is the proverbial "end of the line."
    I should say that it's set in the old west, but industrialization has started to occur. Blake's journey is a sort of spiral, but I'm not sure if it should be classified as upward or downward. This is a spiritual film. It has comedy and tragedy. The timeline is not always necessarily chronological. It makes me think of deja vu.
    Blake ends up being taken under the wing of a very interesting character by the name of Nobody. Billy Bob Thorton and Iggy Pop appear in cameo roles. Neil Young does the soundtrack; the main theme song is, I think, a spin of "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess.
    This film is in black and white. I probably haven't said enough about the plot, but a synopsis is hard to compose. I highly recommend it anyway.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - 01:25 pm:

Gibby Haynes has a cameo as well.

By PeriPheral on Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - 03:11 pm:

Which character? I didn't recognize him.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 08:57 am:

in the beginning, I think he was recieving oral sex in an alleyway.

By PeriPheral on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 11:06 pm:

Fascinating. Yeah, I just remembered that Gabriel Byrne makes an appearance as well. And in no other movie can you hear the line: "He killed 'em. He fucked 'em. He ate 'em."

By Dougie on Thursday, June 15, 2000 - 08:14 pm:

Sure you can. You never saw the little known film, "The Donners Throw a Party," starring Myrna Loy and William Powell? William laughingly utters that line to Myrna over martinis around a campfire while their dog gnaws a knee bone.

By PeriPheral on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 12:41 am:

Now that's a good bit of trivia: What was the dog's name in the Thin Man movies? I think I'm on the right track here...from Dead Man to Thin Man.

By Gee on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 01:43 am:

Asta.

also, the Thin Man in the title refers to the dead guy, not William Powell.

William Powell and Myrna Loy were so cute together, I swear. I was so happy when I found out Dean Stockwell played their son, because I love him.

By PeriPheral on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 09:22 pm:

I remember the first three or so of those being really good. Then, didn't they replace Myrna Loy or something? Or maybe the writers changed. I should watch them again; it's been a few years. They were really great together...the chemistry worked. I guess it was kismit.

If you like murder mysteries, you should check out Spellbound. It's a Hitchcock film from the late '40s or early '50s. It's another of my faves.

By Gee on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 01:48 am:

I don't Think they replaced her. I'm not 100% posative. I think the formula just wore kind of thin.

"Death By Murder" is on this weekend. I Love that movie! I've seen the whole thing, but never all together, so this is my big chance to see everything all in order. Peter Falk rocks in this one. But then, Peter Falk rocks in everything.

By PeriPheral on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 03:41 am:

Summ-bah-dee say Columbo...

I haven't seen that one yet, but I'll look for it. Alas, I also haven't had cable for a few years. I really miss TCM.

By PeriPheral on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 03:45 am:

Good call on the Asta too. I was thinking Topper, but I knew it wasn't right. A person could hemmorhage over such a thing. Bib Fortuna nearly got me once.

By Gee on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 12:03 am:

I was trying to rememeber the name of a little girl in the first christmas episode of "Touched By An Angel" for three days. I was about to go crazy. I could remember all kinds of crap about the episode. Randy Travis was the gueststar. he played Wayne. his brother was named Joey. Joey was afraid of the dark. the little girl died. all this crap, and I couldn't remember the one thing I wanted to. I was going crazy.

anyway, it was Serena.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact