Blade Runner

sorabji.com: Best movie you ever saw: Blade Runner
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Cannon7 on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 04:36 am:

Eh? Eh? The Directors Cut I mean, it's chilling without the voice-overs and happy go-lucky ending. If you haven't seen the directors cut, rent it.

Ridley Scott is a genius, Philip K. Dick was a paranoid psycopath, but he could write (an uncommon trait among crazies). Blade Runner, one of the top 10 of all time? I think so.

By patrick on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 12:48 pm:

indeed

By Nate on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 01:48 pm:

i don't think art is uncommon among crazies.

bitch.

By Cannon7 on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 03:50 pm:

Step off foo! heh.

Didnt say it was (atleast not purposely), but completing well structured sentance after well structured sentance into more than twenty novels (most about communism)... you gotta have some kind of head on your shoulders.

I walk the fine line myself, I know this shit first hand.

Step off!

By semillama on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 04:00 pm:

Communism? Are we talking the same Philip K. Dick?

Funny, I always thought his novles were about ordinary people suddenly having to deal with realities that skewed away from normal, or similar plots. See "UBIK", "Radio Free Albemuth" "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" (surely you know that one), and so on.

By Cannon7 on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 04:37 pm:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep = Blade Runner.

I've read almost all of his books, and I dont recommend it. They all begint to form a pattern. As for the communist paranoia, those were his earlier (and perhaps more famous) works. As time goes on, his books get more and more spiritual.

High recommendations: Divine Invasion, The Man in the High Castle (a good example of his extreme paranoia), Now Wait for Last Year (very trippy), and others you may pass at the bookstore.

By Nate on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 05:22 pm:

as if you can't be crazy and have a head on your shoulders.

puhleeze.

By Rhiannon on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 06:28 pm:

Did you read Valis? If so, what did you think of it?

By Cannon7 on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 01:28 am:

Nate, step off before I have to rape you.

By Cannon7 on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 01:35 am:

Valis was interesting if not confusing, even for PKD. I read it just after Scanner Darkly and I think I lost a lot of it from taking PKD head-on (2 books in a row). It's amazing the spin he puts on god, I wonder if he's meaning to be comical or if that just normal for him.

By Biro on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 07:05 pm:

Too Kill A Mocking Bird, I will probably get some flack for this but it never "dates" - the only downside would be that the kids are a wee bit too cute. There should be more Atticus' in the world, are there any???? I also thought American Beauty was great, a sign of the times. A great movie is always one that can stand the test of time, not many can survive that test. Umm, I wonder whether the Rocky movies will? :-) - and now for something completely different, howsabout John Waters......... no there is trash with flash! Gotta love him.

By J on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 11:09 am:

I love John Waters,his new movie Cecil B. Demented will be out Aug.11th.Melanie Griffith is the star.It,s about cinema terrosist.Desperate Living is still my favorite,for really offending,better than eating poodle poo.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact