The all time best "gen x" movies

sorabji.com: Best movie you ever saw: The all time best "gen x" movies
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Mere on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 04:56 pm:

1. All Over Me
    2. Gia
    3. Being John Malkovich
    4. Foxfire
    5. A League of their own
    6. Boys Dont Cry
    7. White Lies
    8. American History X
    9. Girl, Interrupted
    10. Empire records
    10. [tie] Kevin Smith series [clerks-dogma]

By French t. on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 07:19 pm:

pardon my ignorance, but what is a "gen x" movie?

By Jay on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 09:03 pm:

am i gen X? i don't know here's mine.
    1-fast times
    2-pulp fiction
    3-clerks
    4-the piano
    5-bad news
    6-bugs bunny
    7-total recall
    8-who's uncle buck
    9-reservoir dogs
    10-short cuts

buggin hard like the coast guard.

By Bell_jar on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 09:34 pm:

a league of their own? i guess to each his own, but damn. i wouldn't have girl, interrrupted on my list either. why don't i just give my list, although i think i'm one year away from generation x.
    1. leaving las vegas
    2. the breakfast club
    3. the muppets take manhattan
    4. raising arizona
    5. pulp fiction
    6. silence of the lambs
    7. kids
    8. an american tale
    9. shawshank redemption
    10. karate kid

By Isolde on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 11:19 pm:

In no particular order:
    Leaving Los Vegas, Before the Rain, Hamlet, Fight Club, Clockwork Orange, Murder by Night, Time of the Gypsies, (Black Cat, White Cat), Clerks, The Last Temptation of Christ.

By patrick on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 12:24 pm:

school's out i guess

here's my GEN X list....yeah!!!!!

Clockwork Orange
    Drugstore Cowboy
    Blade Runner
    Liquid Sky
    The Pillow Book
    Henry and June
    Taxi Driver
    Annabolic Anal #14

By Nate on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 12:59 pm:

are these movies important to gen-x'ers? because some of these movies were made before any gen-x'er was born.

losers.

gen-x.

crap.

misfits.

fools.

here are 10 important movies:

1. Godfather I
    2. Godfather II
    3. Apocalypse Now
    4. Dr. Strangelove
    5. Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
    6. Braveheart
    7. McCabe & Mrs. Miller
    8. Miller's Crossing
    9. The Usual Suspects
    10. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

By patrick on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 01:05 pm:

oh shit, see i can never keep my list to 10...i too would need to add Apocolypse Now.....fuck

By Bell_jar on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 01:57 pm:

did you mean benny and june? i would add usual suspects to my list, and probably take off kids.

By Jay on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 02:23 pm:

limiting to ten is pretty tough. besides i don't know about anyone else but i'm no siskell or egbert. i'd forgotten all about drugstore cowboy, apocalypse now, the godfather flicks, one flew over the cuckoo's nest, cool hand luke, full metal jacket, pink flamingos, on and on and on.
    whose idea was this anyway?

By J on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 02:45 pm:

Now I know I have one foot in the grave,I would have to slap Easy Rider in there somewhere.But I am not an x-er,I'm an older.

By patrick on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 02:45 pm:

no, henry and june...as in Henry Miller and his wife June.

By Nate on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 03:27 pm:

and that would be benny and joon, muke.

By mistaswine on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 04:01 pm:

tarantino is an overrated hack.

i've got dead cracka storage space in my loft.

got a sign, too.

By patrick on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 05:04 pm:

i thought that was "mook" overated cracka!

By Nate on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 05:22 pm:

june - joon
    muke - mook

it is subtle, man.

though you, my friend, are not.

centuries from now the children of the future will consume my writings with candy coated abandon.

until then i will continue to be misunderstood by blue eyed devils like yourself.

By patrick on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 06:02 pm:

i have nice pretty green eyes

By Nate on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 06:04 pm:

that's fucking wonderful, man. now i know what kind of mascara to buy you for your birthday.

By Wavydave on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 06:33 pm:

You forgot Henry & Maude!

and also...

Eegah!
    Pod People
    Cave Dwellers
    Manos: Hands of Fate

awww screw it! Just watch all the MST3K episodes with Joel in them...

By semillama on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 06:54 pm:

You mean Harold and Maude.

how about this for Gen-X:

1. Singles
    2. Clerks
    3. Trainspotting
    4. Terminator 2
    5. Silence of the Lambs
    6. Platoon
    7. Batman
    8. Natural Born Killers
    9. Thelma and Louise
    10. Braveheart

By patrick on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 07:19 pm:

i made a point not to take that bait after nates

Nate my birthday is July 29th

thank you

By Juno on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 07:42 pm:

harold and maude
    henry and june
    benny and joon

three different films!

By Dougie on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 08:30 pm:

Yeah, what timeframe are we talking? Last 30 years? Last 20, last 10? Clockwork, Butch Cassidy, Godfatther & Cuckoo's Nest are all great movies, but are all a little long in the tooth for Gen-X movies.

By Isolde on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 09:50 pm:

I was just listing my favorites. I think I'm in the age group considered Gen X. How come I don't get mascara on my birthday?

By cyst on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 10:51 pm:

I like "mccabe and mrs. miller."

I like that mascara that curls your lashes.

I like my temporary housing here in downtown seattle, with its 12th-floor balcony view of portage bay (which is a block and a half away) and the olympics and mt. rainier and with its swimming pool and jacuzzi and wave pool for god's sake and the dishwasher and washer and dryer and with its maid service and cable tv. it's too bad I have to find my own apartment soon. seattle's rental market is a lot spendier than portland's. and people jump on openings like they do in san francisco. drag.

By Gee on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 11:26 pm:

how many movie lists do we need?

what a miserable day. what a miserablemiserablemiserable day. I should have stayed home today. miserable stupid day.

By Jay on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 08:24 am:

yeah, fuck movies anyway. I mean if your own life is entertaining why do you need to spend your time watching someone else pretend to have an adventurous life.
    People been doing that shit forever though.
    i've got a great apartment in the middle of the ghetto. no maid service or wave pool, but i can walk downstairs and buy crack anytime i want.

By Nate on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 09:58 am:

get the fuck out, jay.

no, really.

mccabe and mrs. miller is a beautiful movie.

butch cassidy and the sundance kid is the movie thelma and louise stole its plot from.

my penis talks to me at night.

By cyst on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 10:03 am:

there's a great drug scene at the end of "mccabe and mrs. miller."

I love the warren beatty of the 1970s. such a talent. he was great in "the parallax view" and "bonnie and clyde" (mmm, faye dunaway) too. I have yet to see "shampoo."

faye dunaway was also in "chinatown" with jack nicholson.

jack nicholson was in "five easy pieces." has everyone here seen "five easy pieces"? droopy? please.

By cyst on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 10:06 am:

I think the only robert altman films I've seen have been mccabe and the ones he did in the '90s (short cuts, pret a porter). those later films were ok, but not as pointed and bleak as mccabe. has he made anything else worth watching?

and I've seen zero of that guy with the serb/croat name who did that one movie with cybil shepherd long ago. bogdanovich? the last picture show? good?

By Czarina on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 10:07 am:

Your penis talks to me at night,too.

By J on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 11:17 am:

I sae Five Easy Pieces,it was a good movie,what ever happened to Karen Black?She was great in that,Jack is always great.Nate's penis sure gets around.

By Jay on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 11:33 am:

Robert Altman did MASH but i'm assuming you already know that. there was that scene in that movie where the guy had the really big penis but either couldn't or didn't want to use it anymore so he wanted to die. They had the big mock funeral for him and thats when they sang the "suicide is painless" song.
    maybe Nates penis was talking to Robert Altman while he wrote the movie.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 12:27 pm:

Altman was also married to one of my favorite photographers.....Diane Arbus, one of my favorite pictures is a self portrait she took when he was in the war, and she was 2 months pregnant, she sent it to him to tell he was going to be a father.....

By droop on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 02:03 pm:

i've never seen 'five easy pieces'. up till now it's just always been a road movie with the "chicken salad sandwich" scene in it, but the description of it at amazon makes it sound really interesting.

i have sworn off making lists of "the best" or "favorites".

By Gee on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 01:10 am:

yeah. the people you leave off are always so bitter.

By J on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 01:55 am:

That's the best line I heard all day Gee.

By cyst on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 10:18 am:

oh yeah, mash. I've seen mash.

droopy, you should see "five easy pieces."

I should thank you again for posting ecclesiastes 9:10. a couple of weeks ago, I took a dry-erase board and wrote the words to that passage one by one, and photographed the board in different places around portland. then I arranged the photos in order, slapped them all into a book, and gave it to a friend as a birthday present ("... in the grave, whither thou goest" -- lovely). he says he likes it.

I accidentally wore my dot-com's unofficial summer uniform for female employees yesterday. this is what it looks like:

- light, tasteful makeup

- cute, tight, short-sleeved (variation: sleeveless) shirt in a cool solid color (variation: black but not with black skirt)

- knee-length black skirt (variation: knee-length charcoal gray heather OR print skirt IF black top)

- black leather slides

- no nylons, toenails painted in a shimmery but light color

I went to a cross-departmental meeting and it was like the village of the damned or something.

By droop on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 03:25 pm:

thou art welcome, cyst.

thanks for the movie suggestion.

that wasn't the reason, gee.

By Gee on Thursday, June 22, 2000 - 01:47 am:

I was making a joke.

the polite thing to do would be to laugh.

By cyst on Thursday, June 22, 2000 - 01:59 am:

now that I'm all grownup and salaried, I have no time for all that obsessive nonsense I used to indulge in. the things that sucks, though, is I would rather be one of those boring people who drone on about their mental problems than one of those boring people who drone on about the stock market.

I didn't even know what "strike price" meant two weeks ago. now it's always on my mind.

anyway. I put two dvds and a video on my wish list today.

one is BRIEF ENCOUNTER:

To many, Brief Encounter may seem like a relic of more proper times--or, specifically, more properly British times--when the pressures of marital decorum and fidelity were perhaps more keenly felt. In truth, David Lean's fourth film remains a timeless study of true love (or, rather, the promise of it), and the aching desire for intimate connection that is often subdued by the obligations of marriage. And so it is that ordinary Londoners Alec (Trevor Howard), a married doctor, and contented housewife Laura (Celia Johnson) meet by chance one day in a train station, when he volunteers to remove a fleck of ash from her eye (a romantic gesture that, perhaps, inspired Robert Towne's "flaw in the iris" scene in Chinatown).

It so happens that their schedules coincide at the train station every Thursday, and their casual attraction grows, through quiet conversation and longing expressions, into the desperate recognition of mutual love. From this point forward, Lean turns this utterly precise, 85-minute film into a bracing study of romantic suspense, leading inevitably, and with the paranoid, furtive glances of a spy thriller, to the moment when this brief encounter must be consummated or abandoned altogether. Decades later, the outcome of this affair--both agonizing and rapturous--is subtle and yet powerful enough to draw tears from the numbest of souls, and spark debate regarding the tragedy or virtue of the choices made. A truly universal film, with meticulously controlled emotions revealed through the flawless performances of Howard and Johnson, and an enduring masterpiece that continued Lean on his course to cinematic greatness.

By cyst on Thursday, June 22, 2000 - 02:01 am:

another is

VILLAGE OF THE GIANTS

The moment Village of the Giants opens, with sensual shots of slow-motion frugging, we know we've happened upon some Bad Teens. In search of kicks, the Bad Teens head into the village of Hainesville, populated by Good Teens, most of whom seem to be in their early 30s. The fun begins when a lovable tyke named Genius (an 11-year-old Ron Howard, by far the most assured actor in the cast) whips up some "goo," which makes anything that eats it grow really big and develop a rakish disregard for scale. Soon these wild Bad Teens, led by a deeply embarrassed Beau Bridges and wearing their rebellious cardigans and Sansabelt pants, get their hands on the stuff. They take over the town and celebrate with some giant slow-motion dancing, complete with lots and lots of footage of giant slow-motion cleavage to make sure we've taken in the full horror of the situation. There is not one disappointing moment in this entire movie: Just when you think it can't possibly get any more ludicrous, it comes through and surprises you with a giant spider in the basement or a plan to distract the teens with yet more sexy dancing. Absolutely not to be missed. -- Ali Davis

By droopy on Thursday, June 22, 2000 - 02:48 am:

i have no sense of humor, gee.

:]

By J on Thursday, June 22, 2000 - 02:08 pm:

That's funny, you had me fooled Droopy,hehe.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact