Learning the Hard Way

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Learning the Hard Way
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Semillama on Saturday, July 10, 1999 - 12:03 am:

Ok, I supoose I owe folks an explanation for my prolonged absence from these pages. so here goes:

Things were never better. I had just gotten my copy of our band's CD, and I had just defended my master's thesis and gave a very good defense at that (according to those in attendence). My colleagues had just finished theirs, too. I just had a birthday and was soon to be off in Cheesland, at my first job. Plus, it was a friend's birthday and the last time I 'd probably ever see her again. So, of to the party I went, bearing my ill-fated graduation present: a bottle of 151 Cruzan Rum. I poured myself a decent drink, and proceeded to pass that bottle around my friends. "Help me finish this off," I said. I can't have something like this around, it's too strong and I don't want to waste it." So, I had the second drink, just as the effects of the first were slowly trickling in. Apparantly, I did not pay attention to how much rum I put in the second drink. I finishe dit off and went out side to the fire, wheere I played some guitar, but it was too cold so I went back in. I sat on the couch for a while listening to DK, and that's when the Autopilot kicked in. You see, whenever I get too inebriated, some type of hyper-survival instinct, so deep rooted it only knows I need to be home and nowhere else, no matter what, takes over. Usually This rarely happens and I am able to plan for it in advance. But tonight the drink was too strong and the auto pilot too insistent and i ended up behind the wheel of my car.

Which ended me up in a small jail cell.

Yep, BUSTED! That damn last drink must have been the Devil's piss, cause I blew a shocking .2 on the breathylizer.

Anyway, there iam in the drunk tank. No old men sang "the Rare Old Mountain Dew". instead , i shared floor space with two lads in the same predicament. The next morning I learned that one of them (the bloody one) had led a cop on a high speed chase and put his car over on its side. He claimed his rights were never read to him, and was thoroughly unrepentent. the other lad (neither could have been much over 21, if even that) was caught speeding home after a wedding reception. He also was unrepentant. I think I felt guilty and stupid enough for all three of us.
    So there I was in jail, watching 'Superman 2' on the tv in the cell across from us, which had been turned into a break room of sorts for the cops. I was supposed to be on my way down to Tomah to find a place to live. that had to wait.

I was finally bailed out by my mom. The next day I left for Tomah to find a place to live ( i did, which is where I am typing right now. I have ironically dubbed it the "Fortress of Solitude"). I went to the prelim that friday with my lawyer, who is currently trying to get them to not suspend my license for a month. The d.a. and teh judge are notoriously hard assed peckerheads, but we have to try. I go up next friday again for my pre-trial conference, where hopefully my attorney and I may be able to sway them to letting me just have the restriced licence for the probation period. We are not going to trial, but we are going to wait thenm out until the day before to plead guilty if we have to.

So, this has turned my move down here into something quite more complicated than I thought.

I picked this place whre i am at now because I thought to myself, "well, if I am going to end up spending a lot of time at home, you better like the placyou get a LOT" and i selected a pretty nice town house for $515/mth. It is conveniently located within walking distance of a Goodwill, Wal-mart (the only large everything under a roof store here), a grocery store, a mechanic, and most importantly, the movie rental place. I have used my reprieve of being allowed to drive as much as I want before I enter a plea to set my self up here as sweet as possible, so that I wil have as much entertainment and other necessities as i can. I have a new mini-home theatre (nice), computer from my dad, tv and vcr from my mom, my guitar, and a weight set. I went out and stocked up on books to read.The problem i have is that there is nothing to do in tomah, no movie theatre, no bookstores, nothing. There's a lot of bars, but since I don't drink anymore (you better believe i gave that shit up!) that does me no good. Al the good stuff is in La Crosse, which of course I won't be able to go to until after my probation.
    Hence, the Fortress of solitude.

But I have my cat and my job to keep me busy, and a gola to bring myself into the best shape of my life (i'm gertting a bike tomorrow to complement the weights). And now i have my favorite site back in my life and interesting people to talk with.

So, that's my predicament. The Conspiracy is trying to steal my slack, and they got some of it, but I'm fighting to get it back! I am stronger than this crap and it is only a small obstacle to my acheiving my goals. A very annoying obstacle that has effectively killed any hope for a social life for the next half-year or so. Fuck'em, i didn't have one before, don't need one now.
    More as it develops.

By Pink Eye on Saturday, July 10, 1999 - 08:08 am:

Welcome back, Semi!

Tomah is THE most rockin' town in WS. *chuckle* Why Tomah? Or should I say, "what lead you to Tomah?"

I hear ya on the DUI thing. I was nailed back in '87 when I was living in Iowa( God, what a grand state...3 of the worst years of my entire life ).

Anyway, welcome back and to Wisconsin.

By J on Monday, July 12, 1999 - 12:28 pm:

Been there too,when the cop asked me if I thought I could walk the line I said "I think so,if you help me".

By Markus on Tuesday, July 13, 1999 - 06:55 pm:

A guy from WS is dissin' IA. Uh huh.

By Semillama on Tuesday, July 13, 1999 - 09:16 pm:

IA can't be all that bad. My friend Sarah likes it. And Madison is cool in Wisconsin and so is Ashland. Indiana, however, has no redeeming qualities.

By Markus on Thursday, July 15, 1999 - 05:53 pm:

Indiana is the strangest state in the Union. Freakin' Hoosiers; don't get me started. An interesting book mentioning Indiana throughout is Imperial Caddy, by Joe Queenan. It's a hilarious though thoughtful book on Quayle, not as maniacal as PJ O'Rourke, but you get more out of it. I was just rereading it the other day, and it being slightly dated doesn't detract from the humor or the analysis.

By Pink Eye on Friday, July 16, 1999 - 02:44 am:

I declare IL the shittiest state I have lived in!

And I do NOT include Chicago in the state boundries, it's a separate entity. I hated it when people said, "yeah, I've been to Illinois." I'd ask where. Response: Chicago. Then, my friend, you have not experience Illinois.

By J on Friday, July 16, 1999 - 10:22 am:

I,ve been to DeKalb,the corn capital of the world.

By Rhiannon on Friday, July 16, 1999 - 10:52 am:

Nothing's worse than the pit of despair that
    is Delaware. A lot of people don't even know it's
    a state. (okay, they're stupid, but they have a
    point) The north part is all right (around
    Wilmington) but go a little south and...nothing.
    Farmland, little tiny towns, Dover airbase, and
    trailer parks as far as the eye can see. Last
    month a friend, her mother, and I drove down
    there, and it is no coincidence that we started to
    have a long conversation on the difference between
    white trash and rednecks.

The same can be said about Pennsylvania. James
    Carville said Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh on one
    end and Philadelphia on the other, with Alabama in
    the middle. It's true!

By Semillama on Sunday, August 1, 1999 - 06:28 pm:

ok, update:

I must have hit a good wave surfing the luck plane, as the notably hard ass prosecuting attorney has agreed to a deal and the month w/o any licence will be declared retroactive. Hah! And my car radio started working again. i guess Fortuna's wheel is rotating upwards...

By Schmendrick on Sunday, August 1, 1999 - 06:48 pm:

Mommy Fortuna?

By Lucy Phurre on Monday, August 2, 1999 - 02:53 pm:

Tee hee
    I got that.

By Swine on Monday, August 2, 1999 - 03:30 pm:

<<The same can be said about Pennsylvania. James Carville said Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh on one end and Philadelphia on the other, with Alabama in
    the middle.>>

that has gotta be the most accurate description of that hellish shithole i've ever read in my life.

it still makes me shudder.

By Semillama on Friday, August 6, 1999 - 06:48 pm:

Damn talk about luck!

so my attorney calls me up earlier this week and says the Judge wants to have me enter my plea by speakerphone. Werid, but it saves me the six hour drive.

So I did that today, and I get to drive to where ever my work takes me in Wisconsin, and I only ahve to go to alcohol and highway safety classes down here, no counseling or AA. Man I dodged a bullet there. five months probation,which means that I ain't going nowhere until february 6.

Since I will be saving money on fuel, and my car is falling to pieces slowly before my eyes, I have begun to think about getting another car. Something fuel efficient and made in the '90s. I have yet to own a car that new.

Praise "Bob"! I knew he'd come through!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact