I really wish...

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: I really wish...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Lawanda on Friday, September 3, 1999 - 01:00 pm:

that my boss wasn't as big of an idiot as she is proving herself to be.

She is a systems manager for the whole school district. I got hired to coordinate technical help, and learn how to do it at the same time. I don't have a problem with that. They can't afford to hire a real computer whiz, so they train some house-wife like me who they know they will own until all their kids graduate from high school.

The problem is that it is becoming obvious that she doesn't know what she is doing. For instance, the other day she pops a zip drive into the 'puter, and it starts clicking away. Even I know this is not a good thing. Well, it turns out that that was her whole school district inventory and other databases that - get this - she didn't have another copy of. Period. Not on floppies in a file, not on one main hard drive anywhere. She spent the next two days going to 100 different computers re-making this disk. She still doesn't have the whole thing worked out yet.

I'm taking this A+ certification class with the kids in the morning. She is the teacher. No syllabus to follow. No sequence. She has us do things on the computers with no background information or book reference to study on our own.
    I might try to find a college course that does the same thing so I can get a different teacher. I would really like to respect her, but at this point, I don't think it's possible.

I won't quit or anything, my goal is to surpass her knowledge and level of competence (they are different).

Well, that's my rant.

By Nate on Friday, September 3, 1999 - 01:14 pm:

i tried to move a 85MB song from my home to here via zip disk. the fucker started clicking.

zip disks suck.

i hate zip.

By Rhiannon on Friday, September 3, 1999 - 03:25 pm:

People like that are everywhere. My father is a college professor, teaches Spanish, Italian, Latin, and Latin American studies...lived in Venezuela for 13 years...writes books that he's too humble to publish...knows more than anybody in his department....and he consistently gets passed over when a new chair position comes up.

Because the fools he works with think they know more than he does. So they become chairperson, and then they go to him for help with organizing meetings, department plans, etc. So he does their work, and they get the credit.

But it works out in the end. Because his students love him, and their students don't. And he gets awards and grants for being a great teacher (last year he won the Linback award, for excellence in teaching...the first person to do so at his university) and they don't.

My mother's a high school teacher. Gets screwed by her department chairperson every year because the chairperson (hereby called CP) gets a room of her own and my mother has to move all around the school, carrying all her books and things, when the CP knows she has osteoperosis and can't lift a lot. The CP also insisted that my mother have a homeroom, yet it's in the CP's room, so my mother has to be responsible for keeping the room in order when it's not even hers. But again, my mother's students love her and have to be turned away from her limited-enrollment classes, while the CP has to go after students in the summertime to make sure she has enough kids in her class. This year, my mother has been approached by other teachers in her department to run for chairperson next year.

So I'm sure you know this already, Lawanda...but people will know she's incompetent and will do something about it. Maybe you can stage a coup.

By Hal on Friday, September 3, 1999 - 03:43 pm:

Lawanda, Don't sweat it... There is one major rule
    when working with computers. "There will always be
    someone who knows more than you." Its just a
    matter of making it so you know more then them.
    I'm 17, and yet I have my MCSE ( Microsoft
    Certified Systems Engineer, for the
    techno-softies.) As well I'm A+. What pisses me
    off about the world is people's way of looking at
    things. For example, my father works for the
    biggest hospital in the state, both he and my
    mother work there. Anyway the IT's in that
    hospital are about as slow as the school district
    tech's here. I hear about computer problems that
    it takes them weeks to fix, that I could fix in
    minutes. And yet they get paid about 21 $ an
    hour... A bit ironic isn't it...

Anyway, go down to you local Barns & Nobel and get
    your self the Mike Myers A+ Training Book. And
    self-train yourself. Get you A+ because its a
    gateway into a job market that's endless. And when
    the school district says "Hey! You can't leave we
    need you."

Tell them to Fuck Off.
    Oh if you need any guidence at all on where you
    can get more t

By Hal on Friday, September 3, 1999 - 03:44 pm:

Training info, mail me...

( Thats what it was suppose to say. )

By Simon on Friday, September 3, 1999 - 04:15 pm:

Whenever I see Hal, I just can't help but think of "2001: A Space Odyssey."

Poor Dave.

By Gee on Friday, September 3, 1999 - 04:29 pm:

What's "clicking"?

By Swine on Friday, September 3, 1999 - 06:03 pm:

chair positions in academia are always more about politics than ability.

100% bootyschwagg.

By NZAngel on Saturday, September 4, 1999 - 10:20 pm:

The infamous click of death.

When zip disks self destruct!

By Gee on Sunday, September 5, 1999 - 03:07 am:

How does such a thing happen?

By Lawanda on Sunday, September 5, 1999 - 03:10 pm:

From what I understand, Zip disks are inherently prone to spontaneous combustion. As NZ said, the click of death. Otherwise, I have no tech explanation.

Thanks for the info Hal, I'll probably be contacting you.

She got this ghost white expression on her face when it started clicking. Ever hear the expression "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" boss?

I heard at the football game last night that the powers that be are trying to get me a full time gig at the high school. That would be nice.

By Friendly on Sunday, September 5, 1999 - 06:06 pm:

columbine

By Antigone on Sunday, September 5, 1999 - 07:08 pm:

Friendly, is your name supposed to be an oxymoron? Or, was the r in your name just accidentally put there...

By Friendly on Monday, September 6, 1999 - 02:20 pm:

i'm so goddam friendly. isn't it obvious by now? if it isn't, you've got problems, sparky.

By Antigone on Tuesday, September 7, 1999 - 12:44 am:

Yuh huh.

By Friendly on Tuesday, September 7, 1999 - 02:05 am:

just because i'm a smart ass doesn't mean i'm unfriendly. all i really want is a hug every now and then. and some beer. and the ability to spit acid out of my eyes.

By Antigone on Tuesday, September 7, 1999 - 02:15 am:

Yuh huh.

By J on Tuesday, September 7, 1999 - 09:11 am:

Friendly,I,ll give you some beer and a hug,but I don,t know how to make acid come out of your eyes,we could work on it.

By Hal on Tuesday, September 7, 1999 - 10:33 am:

I Can Feel The Love.

By Friendly on Tuesday, September 7, 1999 - 09:39 pm:

2 out of 3 is encouraging. i'd settle for absolute control over strong and weak nuclear forces. that would be fun. can we work on that, too?

By Gee on Tuesday, September 7, 1999 - 09:39 pm:

Oh, you tart.

By J on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 09:26 am:

Yea,we can...Gee,I can,t help it.

By Antigone on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 09:27 am:

Yep.

By Warhead on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 12:47 pm:

If I kick you in the balls hard enough, acid will come out your eyes all right.
    Did it to a cuban refugee once after I hit him with a garbage can and he was on the ground.
    Fucker spoke Tartar as he groveled.

By Gee on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 06:16 pm:

Nono, J. Not you. Hal. Hal is the tart. See....he/she said he (or she, I dunno!) could Feel the Love...get it? get it?? heh heh heh! See?! huh? huh? <winkwinknudgenudge>

By Antigone on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 01:08 am:

Warhead:
    IP: 209.219.209.66
    Domain: home.net
    IP: 192.128.133.42
    Domain: kcpxy3.att.com
    IP: 192.128.167.67
    Domain: alpxy3.att.com

By Nate on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 09:16 pm:

i haven't beat off in a week.

By Cyst on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 12:33 am:

that's not what your housemate says.

By Nate on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 10:11 am:

i haven't been home for a week, that's why.

By Pamela on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 01:13 pm:

Nate, are you anywhere Menlo Park? I'm going to be working in Menlo Park tonight and tomorrow so if you want to come down and meet me let me know and I'll tell you where.

By Nate on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 11:08 pm:

i'm still not home. i'm in oh oh oh idaho.

i live in the santa cruz mountains. i might meet you in a public place with an easy out.

i'll be wearing a trenchcoat and a white shirt with red polkadots. i'm the guy with the unibrow.

By Gee on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 01:44 am:

What's a unibrow?

By J on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 02:52 am:

Do you get Seseme Street?Think Burt.

By Waffles on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 01:40 pm:

your kidding me Gee.......REALLY....you don't know what a unibrow is..........

one eye brow baby....all the way across...ear to ear.....no in between......you know those guys, they usually work in pizzerias

By Gee on Sunday, September 12, 1999 - 01:41 am:

Why do people who have one long eyebrow not take a razor to the middle of it? I mean...really? It seems like simple logic. But I wonder that about people with excessive arm hair, too.

By Simon on Sunday, September 12, 1999 - 03:44 pm:

When I was in Naples back in '85 I met a guy with a unibrow and a straight razor.

I don't think he was getting ready to shave.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 08:14 am:

Probably for the same reason some women sport mustaches. I used to work with this woman who I SWEAR had hairier legs than me. She was gorgeous, and was very toned, but that hair. YIKES!

By Ogg on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 08:41 am:

if you pluck it eventually it thins out on its own

By Pamela on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 11:43 am:

Nate -- Let me know when you are back in town.

Regarding the unibrow thingy, I don't know why people don't break 'em up. I guess out of fear of pain or just pure laziness. One of my very good friends has one, and his girlfriend is always asking him if he wants her to plucky a part for him or shave it even. He tells her that he'd rather not b/c he is afraid it would hurt too much. Woman with facial hair just freak me out. But to each their own, eh?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact