Anyone seen the Czech remake of Faust?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Anyone seen the Czech remake of Faust?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Wavydave on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 08:13 pm:

My roommate and I rented a bunch of movies from the foreign section. The first one was so dull it knocked us both out. One of us (still not sure which) gained enough consciousnes to swap tapes - to Faust. Then we passed out again.
    I gradually awoke during the beginning of the movie, but I got only snatches of it.
    In half-consciousness, it was more bizarre than a dream, so it woke me up enough to actually watch it.

What it was: The story of Faust, but intermixed with human actors and life-sized Czech folk puppets. There was an annoying little gremlin/jester puppet, and the Devil was a puppet. For a while, the scenes with humans and puppets were played separately, but towards the end of the movie, they interacted.

I'd have to say it was one of the most unique movies I've ever seen. And one that I recommend, without worry, to any of my friends. (Kinda like "Confederacy of Dunces")

So there's ole wavy's attempt at culture.

By Cyst on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 09:32 pm:

I've only seen jan svankmayer's short films.

and they were boring enough. except the one filmed in the kutna hora church decorated with the skeletons of tens of thousands of plague victims, with someone reading from poe's "masque of the red death."

that was cool.

a friend of mine loves svankmayer's long-ass "alice in wonderland," which is apparently very hard to find. if you want to rent it in seattle, apparently you have to leave your first-born child behind as a deposit.

By Benjamen on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 12:47 pm:

The archive (I'm tellin you this place is movie heavon) showed Faust last May and man I must say that it is pretty darn good. The image of the man running through the courtyard still hounts me. I ended up naming my new red bike Mephisto... I didn't know that Alice In Wonderland is so hard to rent. I saw that at the movies as well.My favorite one is a short about one of those castle of bones but I have long forgotten the title - anyone know this one?

By Cyst on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 05:06 pm:

that short film can be found as part of a longer feature that was first released in the states in 1988 or so and is called "jan svankmayer: alchemist of the surreal."

I had just gotten my license and was in a major art-fag phase at the time and went to see it in the theater by myself. around the time that four-hour interview with jean-paul sartre was making the arthouse rounds; the smart people never returned after the intermission. me and a few other idiot masochists stayed. I thought it would get interesting. I was an idealist then, always hoping for the best, now I'm always ready for the shitty.

By Wavydave on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 05:13 pm:

license? you need a license to be an art-fag?
    Hmmmm.

I do remember the day that my drawing teacher gave me (and the rest of the class) our official "artistic license"

Cyst - you seem to be getting more bitter by the day. what's up?

By Cyst on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 05:28 pm:

you need a license to be able to get from your parents' house deep in the suburbs to the art house theaters downtown. and back.

my need to belong and fear of humiliation and delusions that anyone else gave a shit were so great back then that the reason I came back after the intermission was that I was afraid if I didn't that the other people in the theater would think I was too stupid to appreciate a four-hour interview with jean-paul sartre.

I wish I could have back all those hours I sat through dull foreign films I hated. I could have just up and left! but no. I even watched all six hours of the film that the french government commissioned to celebrate the bicentennial of the french revolution. I came back AFTER THE DINNER BREAK. back to the same wooden chair in the balcony.

but I was with someone that day. years later, over an expensive-wine dinner on wooden chairs on a balcony in barcelona, I found out that he hated it too.

I'm not bitter, I'm sour.

By Wavydave on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 06:20 pm:

different glands, same face.

here's a litte sugar *smack*

I sometimes wonder if I'll do the same thing as I look back on all the wasted hours in front of a computer playing games. Yes, I'm hanging out (digitally) with good friends all over the country, but is it real interaction?

Is logging on to an online-only adventure game and hanging out with old high school buddies truly interaction. I mean, we do go and kill bad monsters and evil sorcerers, but does that cement the bonds of true friendship?

Last movie watched: Payback. Mel Gibson was a bad, bad bastard, but you still had to root for him.

By Gee on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 02:01 am:

The first time I ever saw Mel Gibson's bare butt, it disgusted and alarmed me. He seems like he'd be a nice guy, though.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact