ah, family

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: ah, family
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Daedalus on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 01:52 am:

talked to my mother over the weekend. she had some interesting news.

she got a call from my aunt joan in rhode island on friday night. my parents have been divorced since '79, but my mother still keeps in touch with my father's side of the family. which is more than my father does. after the divorce and after my father remarried, he began avoiding everyone in his family. he wouldn't even let his new wife, who i think comes from a rich family, see the humble dwellings he grew up in. for the past several years he has completely cut himself off from his family.

till last week. he showed up unexpectedly at joan's house. after a few prelimaries he began quizzing my aunt about the history of heart trouble in the family and alzheimer's. my aunt said he looked bad, "something around the eyes", and that he was having trouble remembering things. he spent the entire visit talking about alzheimer's.

my mother and i don't quite know what to make of this. my sister pointed out that he's always had trouble remebering anything that had to to with us. he's always been a selfish man and never much cared to know.

then my mother told me about clay. he's a cousin of mine who beats me out as the biggest shame on the family.

we have 500-something acres in austin - the land my mother's side of the family settled in when the came to texas 100 years ago. most of it is now a wildlife preserve, but we still have a few acres to ourselve with a house on it. my mother is sort of the executor of the house, and if you want to go there you have to clear it with her. my mother gave a friend of the family permission to stay at the house for the weekend.

when the woman got there, she found my cousin clay passed out on the couch clutching a bottle. the woman called my mother, who in turn dispatched my sister (who lives in austin) to see what she could do. my sister drove there with her boyfriend, adrian. she went there and roused clay out of his stupor. as she started going through to see if clay had done any damage, clay walked out outside and over to adrian. he looked like shit - unwashed, torn shirt, reeking of whiskey, a black eye, and a pair of glasses held together by wire.

my sister cleaned up the house and gave clay an hour to clear out. when she got back into the car with adrian, who is a complete yuppie, he said: "is he retarded."

"no," my sister said, "just drunk. this is why i don't let you meet the men in my family."

By Fetidbeaver on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 05:43 am:

You can pick your friends but you can't pick your family.

By Waffles on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 11:52 am:

you can take the boy outta the country but you can't take the country outta the boy

By Agatha on Tuesday, October 26, 1999 - 02:34 pm:

i love your stories so much. i can picture clay so clearly. how long was he there, do you suppose?

By Nurul aida zulkafli on Saturday, September 9, 2000 - 11:07 am:

saturday,11;07p.m

i love my family.you now why 'couse my family is everithing.

By Bell_jar on Saturday, September 9, 2000 - 11:10 am:

and spelling is not.

By Suck My Dick on Saturday, September 9, 2000 - 02:35 pm:

CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!

By Spider on Monday, May 27, 2013 - 12:49 am:

My brother is staying with me until he moves into his new apartment on June 1.

It has become apparent to me that neither one of us likes, trusts, or respects the other. If he didn't need a place to stay right now, he would not be here. If he weren't my brother, I wouldn't let him remain in my life.

I've had this realization before but it's finally sunken in, and I don't really feel sad about it except in an abstract sense. Once he moves away, I will probably see him again in July because my dad will want us to get together for my brother's birthday, but I don't expect to see him again for months after that. He only contacts me when he needs something, and I don't foresee him needing anything from me in the future. I don't feel the need to go as far as cutting him out of my life, and I hope I can sustain this emotional detachment.

All of our lives we have been playing out the cycle of abuse, and I have to be on guard because I always always always fall for it when he starts being nice again and run after him like a puppy desperate for affection. Right now, though, it really feels as though it's truly clicked with me that I will never have a brother who loves me and with whom I can have a healthy relationship, and that any overture on his part that looks like, hey, maybe this time will be different, is a total fiction.

I feel bad for his girlfriend, because she is a nice person and seems to have a good relationship with him, and I hope she doesn't feel too awkward in this last week here.

By Antigone on Monday, May 27, 2013 - 04:22 am:

What does he do that is abusive?

By Spider on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 11:41 am:

Nowadays it's things like throwing my own stuff away because he doesn't think I need it (things with obvious sentimental value, like old photos and my mom's recipes), and then when I get upset, he ridicules me for it. He makes plans only to break them at the last moment, and in retrospect it's apparent he never intended to follow through and did it on purpose. Putting me down in public, or ignoring me if we run into someone he knows. Any way in which we differ, be it personality trait or matter of taste, is because I'm mentally ill. Silent treatment if he has to be around me for a length of time. Just a bunch of stupid shit that adds up. None of this probably sounds like a big deal, it's just that it's unrelenting.

It's a cycle because it usually begins with him being very nice and friendly for a short while, I think this time will be different and get overly hopeful, then the facade drops and the usual shit occurs and I get hurt and feel especially stupid because I've fallen for it for the n+1 time. (It really is Every Single Time.) Also because I find myself believing him that there must be something wrong with me that makes me treat me like this.

The thing is that if anyone else treated me like this, I'd just write them off as an asshole and be done with it. Or the little things wouldn't even bother me, because clearly this person has issues and it's got nothing to do with me (seriously, if anybody else implied that I'm pathetic because I don't like Indian food, I'd just laugh and move on). It's just because it's this entrenched dynamic between us. I think I get as hurt as I do because I've always wanted a good relationship with my only sibling, and it hurts me that he so transparently doesn't give a shit about me.

It's not even really personal to me except I get the brunt of it. He's always been more into his friends than his family, and as we've gotten older, it's become clear that he only keeps ties with his family because we'll help him when he needs something. He's very charming when he wants to be and our extended family isn't around him enough to see his other side. My mom finally cottoned on once she got sick; my dad makes excuses for him because he can't admit that he wasn't always a good parent. Honestly, I blame them for the way he is, because he was very hard to manage as a child and when he was still very young, they just gave up. He once told me our dad outright said to him, "I wash my hands of you," when he was a kid.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 11:43 am:

Oh, look at the Freudian slip. That sentence should read, "there must be something wrong with me that makes HIM treat me like this."

By Spider on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 11:47 am:

AND since I'm here, let me just say that the reason this is all coming up is because I've spent the last two weeks seeing him every day -- the longest I've been around him in years -- with one more week to go. I usually see him 2-3 times a year for at most a day at a time.

Like I said, once he moves into his new place, that will be the last time I see him for a while.

I've been working up the courage to go into therapy for grief and depression/anxiety for a while, so once I do that, I will bring up my brother and hopefully learn some more productive/protective ways of dealing with him.

By Ms. Pepper on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 03:44 pm:

Well, hope things will be better for ya

By droopy on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 11:47 pm:

i hope you find someone with more insight than i
    have.

my advice is take his cat.

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 02:45 am:

This may sound extreme, but from that short description your
    brother sounds like a psychopath. You have every right to be
    upset at his behavior.

By Ms. Pepper on Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 03:27 am:

Spider, take it from droopy and Antigone.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 12:58 pm:

My brother does sound like a psychopath -- I had deleted the things I wrote that went into more detail, but at the very least he has demonstrated that he has a diminished capacity for empathy, even in non-emotional situations that have nothing to do with me. Like, for example, we'll see a stranger behaving in a particular way in public, and the way my brother will interpret this behavior is very bizarre and demonstrates he literally cannot imagine people functioning differently than he does. I think that's behind why he thinks any difference in our personalities is due to me being mentally ill or dysfunctional, because the fact that other people have different mindsets than he does is genuinely alien to him.

We got into an argument the other night when he brought up the way he showed up at my doorstep at 2:30 AM when he got back from South America, when he pounded on the door and shouted incomprehensible things. I told him he had really scared me (I was so scared I felt nauseous), and he should have just said, "Hey [Spider], it's me [your brother]!" instead of randomly shouting nicknames for the cat after long stretches of silence. He kept telling me (in tones of pronounced scorn) how ridiculous it was that I was scared, and made it out to be a symptom of my apparent crippling anxiety and obvious weakness. I simply could not get him to understand that he can say I was being ridiculous because he knew I was perfectly safe, but I didn't know that, because I didn't know it was him at my door. Being scared when something unexpected like that happens, especially when you're woken out of deep sleep, is a perfectly reasonable and common response. He just wouldn't get it.

Last night, my dad wanted to take me, brother, and his girlfriend to dinner, and my brother started the evening off in good spirits and was pretty talkative, but by the end of the meal he was back to monosyllabic grunts, and when we got back home he didn't speak to me. Nothing personal or emotional had occurred at dinner, and I didn't even talk a lot but just sat there and listened with a positive demeanor. In the past, I would think I had done something wrong and, oh woe, what was wrong with me that I drain the life out of him just being in his presence for a couple of hours, but I really see that it's his problem now.

Fortunately, besides teenaged mischief, he's not a violent or destructive person. I think he's on the anti-social spectrum, but in general he's an upstanding citizen, and he treats his girlfriends well (as far as I can see).

By The Watcher on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 01:52 am:

Spider, I'll add my two cents worth too.

Your brother does display some psychopathic tendencies. And, I do worry about his girlfriend.

As for him showing up unannounced at 2:30 Am I would have called the police.

Any person banging on my door at that hour should be checked out by the cops.

By The Watcher on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 02:21 am:

One word about people in the mental health field.

They are all more screwed up than their patients. It could be from too much education. Or, from being in constant contact with people who really need their help.

Of course that is my humble opinion. But, I came to that conclusion when I took psychology in college. And, nothing I have seen since has changed my mind.

By heather on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 02:47 am:

"Just a bunch of stupid shit that adds up. None of this probably
    sounds like a big deal, it's just that it's unrelenting."

Actually it is all *huge* terrible stuff.

Your brother is an asshole.

That so-called Freudian slip is the truth.

By Spider on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 09:32 am:

Thanks very much for the validation, seriously. He's so absolute in his assertions that I'm crazy/contemptible when I disagree with him that it's hard not to believe him. It feels like he's gaslighting me, sometimes.

Oh, get this. My dad told me my brother has been complaining to him that I'm not accommodating enough.

I laughed out loud! You mean, besides the fact that I'm letting him stay with me for three weeks until he moves into his apartment?!

"You're not accommodating enough" SO CLEARLY MEANS, "You don't do what I want." Oh, and I get mad when he eats my food and uses up my stuff without asking first. I'm so mean, you guys!

By Antigone on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 06:36 pm:

Despite the fact that you probably do have anxiety problems
    don't take any reference your brother may make to them
    seriously. They're more than likely an attempt to manipulate
    you emotionally. Remember, the most effective lie is 90%
    truth.

How old is your brother?

By Spider on Friday, May 31, 2013 - 02:39 pm:

I'll do my best to keep that in mind.

He'll be 33 in July (I'm 35 next month). Way too old for the two of us to be acting like this.

PS. I'll be out of town this weekend, so today is my last day with their cat. :~(

By Antigone on Friday, May 31, 2013 - 03:30 pm:

33 is good. He's well past the average age of violent psychotic
    break.

By droopy on Saturday, June 1, 2013 - 02:37 am:

sounds like he's jealous of you. there's some kind
    of familial rivalry. i feel almost bad about telling
    you to take his cat. but do it anyway.

By Ms. Pepper on Saturday, June 1, 2013 - 12:29 pm:

Spider, You can do anything what you really wants. No need to be afraid of him.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 - 02:27 pm:

You know, my mother was always telling me that he was jealous of me, but I honestly don't see how that could be. I don't have anything (not a personality trait or material possession or role in the family/society or opportunity or anything else) that he values -- I never have. We have very different values and priorities, and I can't think what there is to me that he could be jealous of.

I came across this passage from John Steinbeck quoted somewhere and it made me think of him:
    No, to a monster the norm must seems monstrous, since everyone is normal to himself. To the inner monster it must be even more obscure, since he has no visible thing to compare with others. To a man born without conscience, a soul-stricken man must seem ridiculous. To a criminal, honesty is foolish. You must not forget that a monster is only a variation, and that to a monster the norm is monstrous.
    Not that he's a monster -- he really isn't; he's not a destructive or criminal person, and he apparently is a very good friend to his friends -- but he seems to lack a conscience, and this passage accurately captures his attitude toward me and other people who have one.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 - 02:43 pm:

Well, I just had a thought. I don't know if this is the reality or not, but it's one possibility.

I did/do have a closer relationship to our parents than he had/has, but he's always rejected their overtures at strengthening their relationship, always, from very young childhood to the present. I might have been the "good child" growing up, but how that played out was that my parents had high standards for me and when I slipped in even a small way they would come down on me hard, while they had low standards for him and rarely enforced them (and when they tried to, he would ignore them, anyway). I'd get smacked for saying "damn" and he once got brought home by the police after shoplifting with no repercussions from them. In high school, he threw out a ton of valuable and sentimental stuff they had collected over the years (like my father's journals he kept when he was a boy) and were storing in our basement, because he needed the space to practice with his band, and they didn't do shit to him. They didn't even yell at him, if I remember right.

Maybe in some tortured way he is subliminally jealous of the energy they put into controlling my behavior while washing their hands of him. My anxiety in my adulthood has largely been centered around my fear of not being a good person, not being able to handle situations "correctly" (the entire time I sat with my mother as she was dying, I was wishing someone could beam the correct thoughts into my head so I could handle the situation in the proper way, as if there were one, best way to think in a situation like that), etc., which pretty obviously has its roots in the way I was raised.

Maybe my anxiety issues are his target of choice through which to hurt me because he recognizes its connection to our parents and their attention to me. To me, my anxiety is a negative consequence of my upbringing, but maybe in some perverse way, it's a symbol to him of the care and attention my parents gave to me and not him, and this is what he's jealous of. Not the anxiety itself of course, but its origin.

By droopy on Wednesday, June 5, 2013 - 02:42 am:

could well be. at least it's well worth
    considering as part of the picture. i could
    explain this better if my brain hadn't shrunk to
    the size of a tennis ball by now. life itself is
    the act of reacting to the world using whatever
    tools you have: strengths, limitations, beliefs,
    self-love, etc. everyone has their own logic. in a
    way, i think that every human on the planet, in
    their way, lives on "another earth".
    (metaphorically). not all of them are compatible.
    people who are assholes or cruel or annoying i
    tend to see as ones who, maybe unconsciously, are
    lashing back at the world for some perceived wrong
    that they had received.

at least a statistically relevant amount of the
    time.

i think i have blathered a bit. but i still think
    spider is on to something. power to spider.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact