The Wind

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: The Wind
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Patrick on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 02:36 pm:

The wind has always messmerized me, it fascinates me, the obvious power, but further more...WHERE DOES IT GO?

The wind whipped here in southern california last night. I thought you might like to hear about it......

In between Jim Morrison's rants and the Doors' timeless lub lubs twang twangs, i heard her, she danced on the roof and tapped at me on the windows. The air vents in the bathrooms spat pine needles, bits of leaves and other crap from the roof. She found her way in and out of those old stove pipe air vents the ventilate humans foulest of scents (debateable of course). She brought in her crisp, cool, oil-gas-fire-skunk-urban tainted scent....it was a welcomed replacement.

Crawling into bed, screwdriver as a night cap, politically incorrect on the tube...i heard her beat my windows with more furor. She whipped the palm tress outside, i Sscurried to the sliding glass door to see her might, as the sounds intensified, i saw the strong and sturdy pal tree across the way bend and fold and bow to her like jester to king......i tempted myself to get my camera, for the neighborhood and city lights from my hilltop perch gave way to an incredible sight. My vision was as crisp as the air, long exposures might be intersting consdiering all of the movement of light. Lights flickered from afar becasue of the intercepting brnaches of trees, also vicitim to her might. Nonetheless, standing naked, in front of my door/window, i realized i should just go to bed, tonight was not the night.

Crawling back into bed, i cut the tv, listened with awe at her might still rampaging outside. The cats seemed a little unnerved, but otherwise happy to cuddle as normal......I decided that the cold and empty bed was not so cold and empty. The windows breathed a cold breath. The dance she was doing and noise she was making could have passed for my lover's nocturnal audiable emmissions.

The cats fuzzy fur, mazzy star luring me to sleep.......my skin itched. The air is dry, and my head is heavy.

Have you ever thought how a warm bath is like the womb we unconcsiously miss?

By Sirocco on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 08:47 pm:

Beware the ides of March!

By Isolde on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 10:07 pm:

Yes, but a hot tub more so--warm, enveloping--this is making me want to take one now...hmmm...anyway. The wind is very nice. So are hot tubs.

By J on Monday, December 13, 1999 - 08:08 am:

I was in a isolation tank once,it was wonderful.

By BK on Tuesday, December 14, 1999 - 09:35 am:

Well Patrick, you would love it here today. The wind is screaming past. With the low temp. it feels like its cutting through you even my "wind proof" jacket is like wearing a sieve(sp?)

Whenever people talk about the wind I am reminded about a Calvin & Hobbes cartoon, where calvins dad tells him that wind is caused by trees sneezing. HAHAHAHAHHA god that makes me laugh! I can't wait till I have kids that I can torment with stupid answers to their questions.

By Patrick on Tuesday, December 14, 1999 - 12:22 pm:

the most amazing wind i have ever experienced was in two places.

1) atop of the Eiffel Tower, i was going to propose up there but when i stepped out of the enclosed area, i said i was out of my mind, so I did it below

2) on a random street in brooklyn last new years, we were walking and a block of bldgs had been demolished so it was a straight shot to the river, the wind coming off the river was so intense and so cold, my friend warned as we entered the block but i had no idea what was really in store.

By Gee on Wednesday, December 15, 1999 - 12:40 am:

We got our christmas tree tonight. While it was raining ice. We went to (as my mother calls him) The Fish Under the Sea Guy.

Story!

Every year of my life we've gone to the same guy to get our christmas tree. He's an old guy with an accent I can't place. Every year he saws off the end of the tree and tells us he's straightening it for us, and every year we get it home and it has to be held up with string.

One year this guy wasn't here early enough, so we went to someone else. Some guy who looked like Carrot Top. His tree was great! It was straight! We didn't need string!

My mother said to me "What about the other guy?" and I told her that it wasn't our fault if we betrayed him, because he wasn't here. She asked me where he was, and I told her he'd fallen under the ice one day while he was ice fishing. He was now frozen underwater, waiting for winter to thaw him out. He'd be back next year.

So my mother borrwed from "Back to the Future" and now refers to the original tree guy as the Fish Under the Sea Guy. Isn't she something? They're so cute when they're that age.

By NZAngel on Wednesday, December 15, 1999 - 12:56 am:

We got our tree last Saturday. There's nothing like the smell of fresh pine to make it feel like Christmas. (since we don't have snow or anything like that)

There is a suburb in chch where almost everyone decorates their house with lights american style. Half of chch goes there to check it out each year. It's a tourist attraction! I think the trend was started by some homesick expats from the states who wanted to give their neighbours a thrill.

Theres always a couple of grinches who don't decorate their houses, but they look really dumb next to all the flash decorations on either side.

Hardly anyone decorates with outside lights on this side of town.

But we have 140 lights on our little tree this year. Even the Angel on the top has a candle that lights up.

By agatha on Wednesday, December 15, 1999 - 11:29 am:

dave chopped a little douglas fir down out of our back yard. i felt kinda bad, but he reasoned that the tree was doomed to be dwarfed because of the huge tree growing right next to it that hogged all the sun. it's pretty cute, in a charlie brown sort of way. i still have to get rid of the tomatoes rotting on the vine in my front yard, they aren't very festive.

By Nate on Wednesday, December 15, 1999 - 02:24 pm:

people who cut down trees for christmas are no better than people who shoot elephants for their tusks.

fuckers.

except you agatha. it was a mercy killing, i'm sure.

By Patrick on Wednesday, December 15, 1999 - 03:24 pm:

as much as i enjoy a tree and the lights, we haven't been home enough to enjoy it or justify the expense. so instead, i took all of the white lights we have and hung them up around the top corners of the living room, kitchen and dining room. I have a total of about 75 feet, it went a long way. I left the multicolored lights to hang up in the bedroom.

these lights make me so happy, i sleep withthe colored lights on, it's nice to wake up around three or four for the usually piss and see them in my semiconscious state.

they make me feel warm

know what i mean?

By Crimson on Wednesday, December 15, 1999 - 03:28 pm:

i don't believe in decorating w/ live xmas trees, but that's just my own drunken opinion (that i've had ever since i was a drunken kid). i'm not militant about it or anything. i just never saw the purpose of it. why kill a perfectly innocent tree to celebrate a holiday that sucks as bad as christmas?

i don't generally send christmas cards either (sometime, i'll go into how much i despise mass-market greeting cards) & i don't use live trees. but i'm just funny that way.

using live trees, to me, is right up there w/ killing roses to prove to your significant other that you can buy them useless shit on VD (valentine's day). but, of course, i've already belabored this point elsewhere on the site.

the most stupid, pointless xmas tree killing i've ever witnessed was carried out by a bunch of sorority chicks. they acquired this humongous, very expensive tree. a veritable colossus of a christmas tree. they decorated it, used it for approximately two hours & then threw it in a back alley to rot--decorations, lights & all. that's the only live xmas tree i've ever had. i adopted it. but it barely fit into my apartment, & my cat kept insisting on sitting in the top of the tree like some kind of scruffy ornament. every now & then, the cat would heave. deck the halls w/ boughs of hairballs.

i'm getting ready to mail 2 of the 3 presents i'm handing out this holiday season. my freakin' folks get the double package. the remaining package goes out to this anarchist buddy of mine down in little rock. i figure that if she's going to take over the city by armed force & create a command post in a bunker downtown, she's going to need the perfect hat to wear, hence my thoughtful gift.

maybe i'm being a bit hypocritical about the whole xmas tree thing. i, too, have decorated plant life for the holidays. i had a cactus. then again, it just kind of peacefully co-existed in my flat w/ me. i didn't kill it or anything. however, i did humiliate it w/ a wide array of holiday decorations (xmas, 4th of july, various saints' feast days, wyatt earp's death day, the anniversary of the invention of shredded wheat), but cacti are known to be rather forgiving souls. anyway, sebastian, my poor cactus, roomed w/ me for years, but finally died of natural causes. alas.

By Bk on Wednesday, December 15, 1999 - 03:41 pm:

I never cut down the tree, I just buy it that way.

I hope that means I'm exempted

By Isolde on Wednesday, December 15, 1999 - 04:34 pm:

We used to live right next to lumber company land, and they would let us go into the groves and thin them for firewood/christmas trees. Usually, trees would grow in thick clumps, and taking a few out allowed others to grow to full maturity...of course, now, most trees are factory farmed--so the guilt can't be as great. Of course...I don't have a Christmas tree either...anyway.

By _____ on Wednesday, December 15, 1999 - 05:12 pm:

it's actually a noble fir-type tree or maybe some kind of spruce. i've been wanting to do away with it for months but i knew that i could get some xmas use out of it if i waited. however, we don't really have room for it so as soon as the fam goes to the east coast this weekend, it's coming down. the kid's happy, the tree's removed, and the yard's that much bigger. i call that a success.

ho ho ho
    heh heh heh

By Gee on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 01:08 am:

blah blah blah. Real tree: good. Fake tree: bad.

I also think Nate just said that to be a butthead. (no offense)

It took my sister and I fifteen minutes to put the tree up in the stand. A new record! This is the first year the tree has been put up without any help from my brothers, and it's also the first year (excluding the year we failed to go to the Fish Under the Sea Guy) that we didn't need string to hold it up! Woohoo!!!

And on the Crazy Gee side, I put all the lights up all by myself and it took me only three hours. I'm a Freak about lights! Perfect lights.

Nothing could ever make me Not have a christmas tree.

By Nate on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 10:50 am:

why not buy one of those (very) realistic looking fake trees and a few high quality pine scented candles?

if i buy a black rhino head to hang in my den, does it matter if i killed it or someone else did?

killing things purely for the decorative value of their carcas is disgusting.

this is my view.

i've convinced everyone in my family to either buy fake trees or, in the case of my parents, they bought a small potted tree which they will sink into the earth when it out grows it's duty.

By J on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 10:58 am:

I,m allergic to real x-mas trees,they really make me sick,that,s why I have a artificial one.

By Bk on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 11:08 am:

I personally, have no desire to have a tree in my house, stockings by the fire, or other stupid decorations around. Put the damn presents in the mail, I'll open them the minute they get there.

I guess xmas isn't my favorite time of year.

By J on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 11:24 am:

It was mine,I had bought paper,bows,some new decorations,already bought some presents a couple of months ago,now I,ll be lucky to get my cards out.I,m not feeling too happy this Christmas either.I did get my wreath out,but it,s stil on my kitchen counter.

By Crimson on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 12:32 pm:

i've actually got the fake xmas tree here, but i haven't put it up yet. somehow, it's just kinda hard to give a shit this year (or any other). peace on earth & goodwill toward men, my sweet tender ass. xmas & valentine's day are two of the most clinically delusional holidays ever invented by the twisted mind of man.

but i do have some groovy pink tinsel here. i oughtta do something w/ it. like slowly strangling my upstairs neighbor, perhaps.

i was just awakened by some friends of jesus. a gaggle of jehovah's witlesses came pounding on my door a while ago (my heartfelt apologies to any JWs, mormons or members of other proselytizing religious groups here--i respect your right to your religion--but i also feel a certain homicidal sentiment regarding door-to-door conversion attempts. go worship your lord. sing hallelujah until the cows come home. but DON'T wake me up & try to convince me to join you).

makes me wish, sometimes, that i had a fucking bazooka. or perhaps a flame thrower. then the very next religious zealot who came banging on my door could very well find her goddamn head encased in a warping, whitehot ball of flame.

death. the gift that keeps on giving.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 12:43 pm:

I should be working but...

The Jehovah's Witnesses come to our door every week because my dad has made friends with them. My dad is a very mysterious man. He doesn't have any other friends, except his colleagues at work. Who knows what he and the Witnesses talk about? I think maybe he feels sorry for them. I think it's kind of him to talk to them instead of saying "go away, I'm a Satanist" like my mother says when she's the one who opens the door.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 12:56 pm:

We never have a Christmas tree. We always have a nativity scene. My dad goes all out...many years ago he made the sky with constellations out of wood (a big sheet of wood with holes drilled in it to form the constellations)...we stick lights in the holes...nice. Then he takes boxes and stacks them together, drapes them in crumpled paper bags and sprays fake snow to make it look like a mountain side, puts pine bows around everything, gets out little houses and a mirror to make it look like a village around a frozed lake, and up in the corner is the manger with the little figurines. He then strings tons of lights around the whole affair. It's this big, gaudy, Vegas-style nativity scene, and he loves it. It's so funny, because he's so austere in every other aspect of his life.

People come around just to see his creation each year.

But last year he didn't feel like doing it, so I said I'd do it myself, and I thought I'd do like a stripped-down, down-home, rustic version. So I just did a little of the mountainside effect, and I went into the field behind my house and got all kinds of dried wild plants to drape around the mountainside. So the whole thing was very simple and brown. Everyone hated it! They would tell me so right to my face, which I thought was kind of insulting, because i put work into it. Ingrates.

By Nate on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 01:12 pm:

i like to steal baby jesi.

By J on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 01:23 pm:

Speaking of ingrates and Jehovah,s Wittnesses,Amee called Heather from somewhere in Alabama,she took off with some guy she hardly knows(who I suspect is gay and used her for a ride home)and his parents are Jahovah Wittness,her tatoos are going to go over real well with them.This won,t last long.She got stopped doing 95 in a 60 mile zone.Maybe I should start a thread,the never ending saga of the ungrateful spawn.

By Crimson on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 01:54 pm:

i've swiped jesi before. not just babies, but the big 'uns, too. but that was when i was much younger & didn't mind the prospect of getting arrested for something that blatantly goofy.

when i was living down near the louisiana line, sometimes people would put nativity displays in the swamps. you could smell the fucking swamp gas. it was horrible. christ among the alligators. sometimes, santa images would show up nearby, jammed between some cypress trees. somehow, the pitiful nativity scenes floating on the stagnant water moved me. it touched my heart so much that i just had to rip them off.

but i'd return them. that's just the sort of kind-hearted schmuck that i am.

the only xmas types of poems i've ever written all go back to those delta scenes. i like my christmas w/ a side order of gut-wrenching pathos. while other snotty, ingrateful little bastards around the country get fancy, hundred-buck toys for christmas, delta kids can often be seen running outside nearly naked in the cold, lucky to get a fucking pat on the head for the holidays. about a decade ago, i ran into some of these kids whose bellies were actually bloated by malnutrition. now, there's some christmas spirit for you.

anyway, in addition to pilfering various jesi, i also stole a bigass statue of st. francis of assisi once. but that's another story.

By J on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 02:05 pm:

I used to steal lawn gnomes,I kept them too.

By Crimson on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 03:15 pm:

lawn gnomes & lawn jockeys, like pink flamingos, are made to be stolen. that's the only reason they exist. popping a few of those suckers down in your yard is like cranking up a gigantic neon sign begging every freak in a hundred-mile radius to come steal your lawn decor for cheap laughs.

that's also the function of the baby jesi in nativity scenes. they're meant to be stolen & held for ransom. it's a holiday tradition.

By Czarina on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 03:28 pm:

Don't forget the little oriental pagodas, thats what I go after.

By Hop-Sing on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 03:30 pm:

And I must say, they're much heavier than they look.

By Nate on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 03:33 pm:

By Hop-Sing on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 03:52 pm:

I thought I was already dead at least thats what they told me I don't think its fair that I should have to die again but i can't find Ben and the boys I'll just go make some bisquits and they'll ride up soon

By Moonit on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 07:14 pm:

Dont you guys have to pay ridiculous ammounts for xmas trees? In NZ you can buy them for as little as $8. I've got a fake tree - I'd like a real one but I live with a bunch of non-xmas people and they wouldnt help me with a real one.

I've even bought all my presents - except one for the grump which I am getting on the weekend.

By Gee on Friday, December 17, 1999 - 12:14 am:

You guys disgust me. You make me really mad. Not every single one of you, but most of you. You know who you are! I never saw so many freaking PC plastic-loving Scroogehead's gathered in one place in my entire life. I hope you all get dog poop for christmas.

Some of you people are so "cool" it makes me want to throw up.

By Nate on Friday, December 17, 1999 - 10:43 am:

have you seen what modern artificial tree making technology has come up with lately, Gee?

at least you're not a vegetarian. then i'd have to smack you around with my dick and call you a hypocrite.

figuratively speaking, of course.

By J on Friday, December 17, 1999 - 03:30 pm:

I have a Mr.Christmas Tree it really looks real,even has bark.

By MapleLeaf on Friday, December 17, 1999 - 03:37 pm:

I'm going to a tree farm tomorrow and cutting down the tree for the mother-in-laws house.....it's a family tradition for the family gathering on Christmas Day.... the nephews and neices are getting old enough to help now....that should help.

By Gee on Friday, December 17, 1999 - 05:00 pm:

I've seen the recent fake tree's. They look pretty good when they're put together by professionals. As a matter of fact, my mother really wanted a fake tree and I told her she could get one (in spite of the fact that I love real tree's). Still, we got a real one. I guess she wanted to make me happy. It worked.

It's not fake tree's that bother me. It's people who act like they're such hot freaking stuff because they have fake trees. They're the kind of people who like the bright pink kind with silver needles.

I really like the idea of a potted tree, though. You could use the same tree every year. That would be really nice. Where did your folks get it?

By Nate on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 10:35 am:

some sort of nursery? i dunno.

it's pretty easy to get trees around here.

By Moonit on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 10:10 pm:

We used to have (and this was in the 1970's when i was a kid) a blue and silver tinsel tree.
    So tacky. I wonder what happened to it?

By Gee on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 12:59 am:

I only know of one nursery here (I'm not on the look-out for such things) and that one turns into Christmas R Us around this time of year. the plants all go bye bye and the singing plastic trees and glittery stockings come out.

This year I bought a Santa pen on a string that I could use when I was at work and didn't have any pockets. Two bucks!

By Patrick on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 11:44 am:

Richard Brautigan has a great short story in the Tokyo-Montana Express book about the lonely, rejected christmas trees on Dec 26th. He talks about driving around SF and picking up these trees , or at least giving them the attention they deserve. He even shares a moment with Ferlingetti during his rounds...what a beautiful story, highly recommended

By cyst on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 09:20 pm:

an english teacher at uc davis assigned that book to us in a 100-level literature class. but then he found out it was out of print (it was at the time, anyway), so he made us read "breakfast of champions" by kurt vonnegut instead.

but I'd already gotten a hold of the brautigan and I read it anyway. I didn't like it as much as I'd wanted to.

all the cool kids like richard brautigan. my 11th grade english teacher, with whom I was in love, was a friend of brautigan's and recommended "trout fishing in america" to me. this summer my paris friend gave me an old edition of "in watermelon sugar." and I've sometimes wondered which book mark thomas is reading in the picture (a collected works, I think).

the two stories I remember from "tokyo montana express":

- a dog abandoner has to put up with a load of shit.

- california prisoners are fed well, and california poets go hungry. duh?

right now I'm reading "babbitt" by sinclair lewis. he writes like I do. the same boring, obvious stuff over and over and over and over again.

By Crimson on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 10:32 pm:

actually, i loved lewis' "babbit" & thought "elmer gantry" was even better.

"in watermelon sugar" is a book i keep coming back to. like lewis' books, i'll actually go for years w/o reading them--but then one day, i eventually come back & rediscover them.

other books i'll occasionally rediscover are kerouac's "desolation angels" (i know, i know--kerouac is critically passe, lacking in craft, blah blah blah--but i still happen to like his stuff in very occasional doses) & lawrence durrell's "the black book" (as well as his alexandria quartet). there are also some volumes of french surrealist poetry to which i return. the truth is, i actually read so little that it's frightening. i don't have as much time on my hands as i used to.

the novel i'm getting into the most, presently, is the one i'm writing. it's lowbrow, gut-level & horrifying. it's the literary equivalent of a wino pissing in a back alley. i make no claims of excellence, or even competence. but at least my own writing has an author i can understand. i can pick the hell out of her brain, which is one of the basic underlying agendas of writing in the first place.

as a writer, i'm frighteningly unskilled. i'm also not an overly educated person. but i've just always been obsessed w/ telling a story about life the way i've lived it. actually, i often wish that i had lewis' ability to take small situations & transform them into a microcosm of society at large. when lewis' characters begin unraveling, it can become a brilliant indictment of twentieth century american culture. nobody, before or since, has been able to deconstruct the great american dumbshit like lewis. but his powers as a writer largely diminished following the release of his major novels ("main street", "elmer gantry", "arrowsmith", "babbit", etc).

brautigan is much more surrealistic & subtle. his criticism would seem to be more aimed toward generalized patterns of dualistic, concrete-sequential thinking than about societal institutions at large--or at least that's the feeling i walked away w/ during my cursory readings of "in watermelon sugar".

i'm writing about books. holy christ. as if i know my ass from a hole in the ground. pardon this crazy intrusion. i'll go back to babbling about my underwear or something soon.

By _____ on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 11:19 pm:

in watermelon sugar is a beautiful book. has anyone read any of philip k. dick's mainstream fiction?

By _____ on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 11:22 pm:

in watermelon sugar is a beautiful book. has anyone read any of philip k. dick's mainstream fiction?

By _____ on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 11:22 pm:

why did i do that?

By Crimson on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 11:27 pm:

PKD is one author i could never quite get into. but i've got a friend who's a serious dick-head (even made a pilgrimage to the man's grave). upon his return, i was awakened one night by having pictures of dick's grave excitedly shoved in my face. so i can't talk about dick's fiction, but i CAN say, for what it's worth (& that's not much), that i've seen his grave by proxy.

By _____ on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 01:44 am:

this dick-head thinks that's cool. better than seeing, jimi hendrix' grave by proxy.

By cyst on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 02:50 am:

I think brautigan may be too subtle for me. because when I read his stuff, I can never figure out what the point is.

the opposite with lewis. on pages 12 and 13, at breakfast time, babbitt discusses with his wife how he eats light lunches each day. by that time, it's already clear that he's a hypocrite and that everything he says is a lie. because lewis spells it out in almost every paragraph.

but just in case the reader had forgetten, at lunch time lewis reminds:

That morning he had advocated lighter lunches and now he ordered nothing but English mutton chop, radishes, peas. deep-dish apple pie, a bit of cheese, and a pot of coffee with cream, adding as he did invariably, "And uh -- Oh, and you might give me an order of French fried potatoes." When the chop came he vigorously peppered and salted it. He always peppered and salted his meat, and vigorously, before tasting it.

I'm on page 77. I've read the first six chapters, which are all about what a shitty guy babbitt is and how contemptuous he is of his whole miserable family. I was thinking about quitting the book, but the last paragraph of chapter six suggests that babbitt may change or something may actually happen.

He returned to the living-room but before he settled down he smoothed his wife's hair, and she glanced up, happy and somewhat surprised.

By Crimson on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 07:05 am:

lewis' writing isn't for everyone. his style is admittedly a bit quirky. but just remember...if you're reading something for a school project, it doesn't matter whether you actually comprehend it or not. you don't have to like it; you just have to pretend to possess some sort of crucial insight into silly shit like authorial intent. if all else fails, the holy triumvirate of cliff's notes, masterplots & benet's reader's encyclopedia will get you through damn near anything.

yes, teachers hate cliff's notes. yes, they're ground out a dime a dozen by supremely bored grad students at U. of nebraska. but they're easy pickings, in terms of harvesting basic ideas. surprisingly fine-tuned inferences can be made from the glaringly obvious information found between those black-&-yellow covers.

in terms of school-assigned literature, nobody has to actually read anything anymore. look up criticism online & steal, steal, steal (i wish to god the internet had been a reality when i was in school--although nobody's saying the quality of online criticism's all that great, since any random jackass can post their half-baked opinions).

anyway, it's shocking to think about all the "A" papers i cranked out in school w/o ever once reading the book in question. that's because it's fairly easy to find out what school of criticism your instructor is into. learn the buzzwords of that critical style & watch the "A"s roll in. whether you're dealing w/ a marxist, a new critic, a deconstructionist, a feminist or whatever, it's fairly easy to pick their brains & tell them exactly what they want to hear.

funneled through the appropriate critical filter, "babbitt" can have any agenda under the sun & it doesn't have to bear any relationship whatsoever to anything that sinclair lewis might've been thinking when he wrote the novel. i once considered writing a paper on homoerotic undertones in lewis' writing (hint: homoerotica in ANYTHING is a good start toward an "A" paper). but in lewis' case, there are several clues that the guy, although outwardly quite straight, had some decidedly warped ideas about his fellow males (can be seen better in "arrowsmith" than "babbitt").

anyhow, plow your way through "babbitt", or better still, look up criticism & let other people do it for you.

the sooner you're done w/ it, the sooner you can kick back & read stuff you actually like.

By cyst on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 10:01 am:

hey, crimson, I too noticed that babbitt has a crush on his friend, what's-his-name, at the gentlemen's club. the one with whom he wants to go on vacation without their wives.

and I don't believe you that you didn't once read the book in question. although nothing you say should surprise me. is it true?

I'm not reading "babbitt" for a class. I picked it up because it was cheap and I remember that an ex-boyfriend really liked it. I think I have to read don delillo's "white noise" next because it's already been on loan from a friend for a few weeks.

By Crimson on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 11:16 am:

i should've qualified that, somehow. on occasion, i actually read what i was assigned.

but i really DID crank out a hell of a lot of papers w/o reading the book in question. that's the absoloute truth. it wasn't so much out of obstinance, but simply due to a sheer lack of time. when i'm working, taking 20+ class hours & still trying to conduct some semblance of a private life & THEN some freak of an instructor tells me, on friday, to have "moby dick" read by monday, well, it just ain't happening (wow, i think i'll read six books over the weekend, write three massive papers, study my ass off for the astronomy test, work the graveyard shift, take care of the groceries & laundry, entertain whatever visitors stop by & maybe, just maybe, squeeze in a quick screw for the increasingly surly, neglected lover...well, thank god for cliff's notes).

it eventually started getting ridiculous. i KNEW, as the assignments came in, that i couldn't read the damn book. it was simply impossible. so i'd spend inordinate amounts of time in the library looking up criticism on all the books i was supposed to be reading. by reading a basic plot summary & then making some sort of verbal collage out of the reviews & other material, i'd come up w/ commentary about the book that always seemed to pass muster. several of my teachers told me privately that i was brilliant.

but i'm not brilliant. i'm merely the living goddess of bullshit.

come to think of it, i didn't read "babbitt" for a class, either. i read it while crashing at a friend's house for a few days. i read that book & then i read some james joyce. on the whole, i liked "babitt" better...although people seem a bit more impressed if you say that you like joyce.

By Patrick on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 11:45 am:

brautigan is one of my favs.

especially The Abortion Romance, and Tokyo -Montana Express.

he is so gratifying, he rewards you with words and imagery that dance around in your head like a BAND OF GYPSIES....

By Crimson on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 11:54 am:

"the abortion: an historical romance" was fantastic. i haven't read it in ages, but i remember just being totally blown away by it. as for brautigan, few people handle words w/ such lightness & grace. there's a certain ethereal quality to his work that's hard to get from any other author.

By semillama on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 08:14 pm:

I read TFIA, and liked it. IT didn't really speak to me on any gut-level though, not like A Confederacy of Dunces did.

And I could never get through any of Burrough's books, even though I love listening to him read his stuff out loud (on disc, of course - Things are unfortunaetly not so weird that his restless spirit appears out of the mirror and starts reciting excerpts from Naked Lunch).

By cyst on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 08:32 pm:

I didn't read "moby dick" when it was assigned to me, either. but I kept it. I told myself that one day I would read that and "v," the other book I skipped that term.

I read them both seven years later on a long sojourn in central america. I finished "moby dick" early on, "v" got lugged to guatemala, and "ulysses" made it all the way to nicaragua and ended up coming back home with me. I have like 100 pages left. when it's good, it's very very good, but when it's bad it's tortuous.

By semillama on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 10:26 pm:

I know exactly what you mean. If i am ever laid up in the hospital, I have promised myself that i WILL FINISH FINIGAN'S WAKE. DAMMIT.

I hate the fact that there is a book I can't bring myself to finish!

By Crimson on Thursday, December 23, 1999 - 08:00 am:

there are a number of books i haven't been able to finish. "ulysses" is just one of them.

for some odd reason, i get derailed every time i try reading henry miller. even though i have friends who regard "tropic of cancer" as holy writ, i just haven't been able to plow through it yet.

wish i had some burroughs around here to read. being a dolt, i lent out my various copies & naturally haven't seen them again. this always happens w/ burroughs, for some reason. loaning out a burroughs book might as well be considered giving it away outright, because it'll never be returned.

this teenage boy i knew stole my entire burroughs collection. the silly little bastard later developed a bi streak & decided to offer up his virginity to burroughs. so he started obsessively writing letters to him (not a good thing to do w/ a classic paranoia case like burroughs). then he moved into burroughs' neighborhood & actually got to speak w/ the great man several times. but burroughs always had some other pretty boy on his arm, so the loss of virginity never did quite work out.

By Crimson on Thursday, December 23, 1999 - 10:53 am:

posting about the burroughs-boy got me thinking.

OK, put yourself in that kid's shoes. you're young & beautiful (which he definitely was). now, what are you going to do? attempt losing your cherry to a guy old enough to be god's granddad, that's what.

is there a celebrity you've ever been so enamoured of that you'd consider sleeping w/ him or her, even if the celeb in question is pushing 100?

have you ever made it w/ (or had a savage crush on) someone far older or younger than yourself?

By Gee on Friday, December 24, 1999 - 02:11 am:

CALLUM KIETH RENNIE.

okay, so he's only in his thirtys. That doesn't exactly count as "far older" but he's the one. He's the celeb I'd swoon for. Unfortunatly, I hear he's shy, so he probably wouldn't invite me to swoon.

When I was a little girl I had a massive crush on Commander Tom. He's some weather guy on new york news now, I think. Does anybody know who I'm talking about?

I used to kiss the TV screen goodbye when he was on in the mornings before I left for school.

By crimson on Friday, December 24, 1999 - 06:52 am:

i vaguely remember doing the kiss-the-TV routine. i was very young. who was the object of my pre-kindergarten adoration?

captain kangaroo, who else?

not the imposter they've got now, but the real one.

it wasn't a lust kind of thing, though. i mean, what kind of deranged mofo would stroke off over captain kangaroo? i can't even imagine mrs. kangaroo entertaining lewd thoughts about him (now, cap'n crunch...well, that's another story. that guy's probably a pervert from way back, but captain kangaroo is pure). sure, captain kangaroo had kids, but i think he bought them or something.

weird quasi-related memory: when i got old enough to start screwing around, i used to regularly purchase condoms. i learned quickly that i could never trust guys to be packing rubbers, so i'd just buy them myself. believe me, you get a lot of fucked-up looks from checkout clerks when you're in junior high school & slap down an economy-sized pack of trojans w/ your bubblegum. anyway, i found a pharmacy that had them cheaper than anyplace in town. but i couldn't buy the condoms there. why?

because the guy working the pharmacy register looked precisely like captain kangaroo.

now, i may be a glaring freak, but even i have limits. i am NOT going to purchase rubbers from captain kangaroo. ditto for K-Y jelly. i just couldn't fucking bring myself to do it. heaven knows i tried. i'd stand there looking at the items i wanted, but couldn't bear to drag them up to the register. to make it all the worse, captain kangaroo would stand there behind his register & fucking SMILE at me. it was completely unnerving.

in short, captain kangaroo nearly derailed my sex life. but i still love him, anyway.

By Anomynous on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 10:45 pm:

I Hate You!

By Gee on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 11:05 am:

well said.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact