Sightings of Weirdness

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Sightings of Weirdness
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Moonit on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 07:16 pm:

Sighting #1:
    I was at the airport, checking in at the gate, when the airport employee asked, "Has anyone put anything in your baggage without your knowledge?" I said, "If it was without my knowledge, how would I know?" He smiled and nodded knowingly, "That's why we ask."

Sighting #2:
    The stoplight on the corner buzzes when it is safe to cross the street. I was crossing with an intellectually challenged co-worker of mine, when she asked if I knew what the buzzer was for. I explained that it signals to blind people when the light is red. She responded, appalled, "What on earth are blind people doing driving?"

Sighting #3:
    At a good-bye lunch for an old and dear co-worker who is leaving the company due to "rightsizing," our manager spoke up and said, "This is fun. We should have lunch like this more often." Not another word was spoken. We just looked at each other like deer staring into the headlights of an approaching truck.

Sighting #4:
    I worked with an Individual who plugged his power strip back into itself and for the life of him could not understand why his system would not turn on.

Sighting #5: (a rare "double sighting"):
    A friend had a brilliant idea for saving disk space. He thought if he put all his Microsoft Word documents into a tiny font they'd take up less room. When he told me, I was with another friend. She thought it was a good idea too.

Sighting #6: (from Tech Support): Tech Support:
    "How much free space do you have on your hard drive?" Individual: "Well, my wife likes to get up there on that Internet, and she downloaded ten hours of free space. Is that enough?"

Sighting #7: (from Tech Support):
    Individual: "Now what do I do?"
    Tech Support: "What is the prompt on the screen?"
    Individual: "It's asking for 'Enter Your Last Name."
    Tech Support: "Okay, so type in your last name."
    Individual: "How do you spell that?"

Sighting # 8:
    When my husband and I arrived at an automobile dealership to pick up our car, we were told that the keys had been accidentally locked in it. We went to the service department and found a mechanic working feverishly to unlock the driver's side door. As I watched from the passenger's side, I instinctively tried the door handle and discovered it was open. "Hey," I announced to the technician, "It's open!" "I know," answered the young man. "I already got that side."

By semillama on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 08:22 pm:

This thread could just as easily be titled "En route to a Darwin Award."

By LucyPhurre on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 08:26 pm:

Well, actually, it's from a Dilbert Newsletter. I got the same one a few months back.

By Moonit on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 11:48 pm:

oh is that where that came from... someone emailed it to me.

By Gee on Thursday, December 23, 1999 - 03:45 am:

Thank you, Moonit.

By Moonit on Thursday, December 23, 1999 - 03:53 pm:

You're welcome. hehehe

By Spider on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 12:52 pm:

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I drove through my home town (sleepy college town) at noon on a weekday....and saw two short, squat middle-aged women in business suits walking with a tall skinny man in leather chaps, white pirate-type shirt open to the navel, and a leather policeman's cap? It was an hilarious vision.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 12:56 pm:

By Spider on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 01:00 pm:

BTW, I have, like, the worst stiff neck ever, and it won't go away. Last night, I could barely move my head in any direction, and sleeping was nearly impossible. I probably slept for about 3 hours last night.

Now I can move my head in the four cardinal directions, but I still have a lot of pain.

This sucks.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 02:29 pm:

Here's my latest sighting of weirdness:

En route to the groom's dinner in Muskegeon, Michigan last friday, Kazoo turns to me and says "I think that jesus on the crucifix back there had only one arm."

Sure enough, when we all looked for it on the way bavk, there he was, the One-Armed Jesus. This led to a speculation that perhaps his posture on the cross would be different if he really only had one arm to begin with.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 02:42 pm:

That reminds me of something...

A few years ago, my mother was involved with this Holocaust remembrance society, most of whose members are Jewish. One evening, she invited the other members over for dinner, and in her directions to our house, she included the line, "Go past the large statue of Jesus and make the next left." (We live near a Catholic cemetery.)

She had told everyone to arrive at 5, and 5, 5:30, 6 came and went, and no one had showed up yet. Finally, people started trickling in. They had gotten lost, they all said. They hadn't found the statute of Jesus. My mother thought this was the funniest thing she'd heard all week -- imagine that, all these Jewish people failing to see Jesus and getting lost!

(Turns out the statue had been taken down for cleaning that morning.)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact