Bottled water

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Bottled water
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By SE on Thursday, March 30, 2000 - 02:24 pm:

While we are on kind of a pissed off rant series...

I for one am PISSED about people rolling over and paying for bottled water all the time. I think rather, we should INSIST that the water quality from the tap be high enough to be drinkable. We should DEMAND it in fact.

By mistaswine on Thursday, March 30, 2000 - 02:46 pm:

i trust water out of bottles only marginally more than i trust water out of the tap.

and i don't trust tap water at all.

get yourself a water filter.

drink this

By Se on Thursday, March 30, 2000 - 03:05 pm:

filters can't stop most chemical pollutants, ie benzine. Outside of micro-organisms, they only provide limited benefit.

By agatha on Friday, March 31, 2000 - 12:07 am:

i saw a special on the news, they tested a large variety of bottled waters and found that the majority of them had the same pollutants in them that tap water does. the two that i recall were particularly bad were evian and i believe it was poland springs.

By heather on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 01:14 am:

i drink tap water

i'm sorry, i can't help it (well, not that you care, really)

but it would cost me a least $5 a day to fulfill my water requirements and that is not right

By moonit on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 04:17 pm:

New Zealand, and in particular Christchurch has the purest water around.

Nah Nah Na Nah.

By J on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 11:36 am:

I drank the water everywhere in Costa Rica and never got sick,while I,m thinking about it,water is right up there with sunblock and sunglasses for skin protection,espeacially if you drink alot of booze.I drink gallons of water all day long before I hit the booze,booze dries you out,so you need alot of water in you to reverse that,one day you kid,s will thank me for this.

By The Dinner Lady on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 01:34 pm:

I think Poland Springs is the one that actually lists Arsenic in the lable. Kooky.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 4, 2000 - 02:29 pm:

uhhhhhhhhh

(resisting urge for un-PC joke)

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 02:27 pm:

Escalator space. "Men reacted more to the person standing [immediately, i.e., just one step behind, with the hands reaching forward on the rail so as to be visible to the person ahead] behind them than did women" (Vrugt and Kerkstra 1984:9). "Women seem to prefer to act as if they do not notice anything, so that unwanted contact can be avoided. Men make it clear in their reactions that they do not appreciate such a rapprochement" (Vrugt and Kerkstra 1984:10).

Library space. Regardless of an "invader's" sex, men already seated at an otherwise unoccupied table view opposites most negatively, while already seated women view adjacents most negatively (Fisher and Byrne 1975).

Parking space. "A study of more than 400 drivers at an Atlanta-area mall parking lot found that motorists defend their spots instinctively" (AP, May 13, 1997; from research published in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology, May 1997). "It's not your paranoid imagination after all: People exiting parking spaces really do leave more slowly when you're waiting for the spot . . . . It's called territorial behavior . . ." (AP, May 13, 1997).

Office space I. Office workers spend the day in an average 260 square-foot (down from 1986's 275 square-foot), usually rectangular space. Corporate downsizing and belt-tightening mean that many staffers now find themselves working in even smaller, modular, 80-square-foot cubicles. (N.B.: For some prehistoric context, consider that our hunter-gatherer ancestors spent their workdays on an estimated 440-square-mile expanse of open savannah.) Cubicles replaced the more exposed, "pool" desks which had earlier lined the floors of cavernous group-occupied workrooms. Though maligned in Dilbert cartoons, cubicles at least provide more privacy than the 1950s open workrooms, and offer needed respite from visual monitoring (which is known to be stressful to human primates).

Office space II. "German business personnel visiting the United States see our open doors in offices and businesses as indicative of an unusually relaxed and unbusinesslike attitude. Americans get the feeling that the German's [sic] closed doors conceal a secretive or conspiratorial operation" (Vargas 1986:98).

Restaurant space. Corner and wall tables are occupied first (Eibl-Eibesfeldt 1970).

Home space I. Americans spend an estimated 70 years indoors, mostly in the secure habitat of an average-sized, 2,000-square-foot residences called a home (from the Indo-European root, tkei-, "settle" or "site"). (N.B.: Because there is no counterpart in primate evolution for a life lived entirely indoors, we bring the outdoors in. Thus, better homes and gardens include obvious replicas, as well as subtle reminders, of the original savanna-grassland territory, including its warmth, lighting, colors, vistas, textures, and plants.)

Home space II. Upon re-entering our home (after several hours of absence), we feel a peculiar need to wander about the home space to "check" for intruders. In mammals, this behavior is known as reconnaisance: ". . . in which the animal moves round its range in a fully alerted manner so that all its sense organs are used as much as possible, resulting in maximal exposure to stimuli from the environment. It thus 'refreshes its memory' and keeps a check on everything in its area" [this is "a regular activity in an already familiar environment," which does "not require the stimulus of a strange object"] (Ewer 1968:66).

Neighborhood space. The prime directive of neighborhood space is, "Stay in your own yard." That we are terribly territorial is reflected in fences by the barriers they define. According to the American Fencing Association, 38,880 miles of chain link, 31,680 miles of wooden, and 1,440 miles of ornamental fencing are bought annually in the U.S. (N.B.: Each year Americans buy enough residential fencing to encircle the earth nearly three times.)

City space I. Biologists call the space in which primates live their home range. The home range of human hunter-gatherers (e.g., of the Kalahari Bushmen in southern Africa) spreads outward ca. 15-to-20 miles in all directions from a central home base. The home range of today's city dwelling humans includes a home base (an apartment or a house) as well, along with favored foraging territories (e.g., a shopping mall and supermarket), a juvenile nursery (i.e., a school), a sporting area (e.g., a golf course), a work space (an office building, e.g.)--and from two-to-five nocturnal drinking-and-dining spots. We spend most of our lives a. occupying these favorite spaces, and b. orbiting among them on habitually traveled pathways, sidewalks, and roads.

City space II. "Fixing Broken Windows, a book by [Rutgers criminologist George] Kelling and co-author Catherine Coles, became a bible for New York City's 'zero-tolerance' policy toward abandoned cars, abandoned buildings and even graffiti. [new paragraph] "Kelling and Coles argue that even small signs of crime and decay in a neighborhood, such as broken windows, encourage crime by signaling that such behavior is tolerated" (Fred Bayles, "War on an Eyesore that Wrecks City Life," 3A USA Today, April 3, 2000).

National space. We live in one of ca. 160 sovereign nations which together claim 54% of earth's surface, including almost all of its land and much of its oceans, waterways, and airspace. Over ninety percent of all nations, including the U.S., have unresolved border disputes (see WWW.Army.mil).

Outer space. No national sovereignty rules in outer space. Those who venture there go as envoys of the entire human race. Their quest, therefore, must be for all mankind, and what they find should belong to all mankind. --Lyndon Baines Johnson

U.S. politics. "Distance between two shakers who are still connected at the hand signifies either distrust, aloofness, or reserve. Democratic presidential candidate Michael Dukakis, often criticized in the media for his lack of passion in his campaign style, tends to shake hands by planting his feet and extending his right arm out to meet the oncoming hand of the other shaker" (Blum 1988:7-4).

By moonit on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 06:57 pm:

Rhi you are scaring me.

By Tired on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 08:50 pm:

this is so super awesome.

you get to research stuff like this all day?

By Isolde on Wednesday, November 1, 2000 - 01:03 am:

That would be a pretty fun job...

By pez on Wednesday, November 1, 2000 - 10:57 am:

yum.

i buy about a bottle of water a month, freddy's brand, so i can re-use the bottle.

By Isolde on Wednesday, November 1, 2000 - 12:49 pm:

I have a truquoise Nalgene bottle. It's excellent, I adore it.

By Z on Wednesday, November 1, 2000 - 11:39 pm:

I love my Nalgene. it's grey, 10$, and was a container of water and powdered powerade on several AT hikes. heh.

I am still using a free waterbottle i picked up at race for the cure.

yum

water is good

By Z on Wednesday, November 1, 2000 - 11:40 pm:

tap water tastes better

By Isolde on Wednesday, November 1, 2000 - 11:49 pm:

I'm very fond of water, also. I like my Nalgene, too, it's an excellent colour. It also has a painting from a Persian miniature on it, which I'm very fond of. I like Persian miniatures. I have a gigantic Brita, that's where all my water comes from. It rests in my fridge like a large mountain. It's the uber-Brita, the biggest size you can get. So nice to have chilled yummy water. I like water a lot.
    My throat hurts because I'm very ill, and I don't like it. It hurts to swallow but I keep drinking water since I know I should. My head doesn't hurt any more, I took some medicine. I hate being sick, it makes me feel disjointed and wierd. I'm dizzy all the time now too. I miss my cats, too, they used to curl up with me at night...some 46 days until I see them. I'm counting the days. I miss them. Warm and fuzzy and soft and friendly. They always seem to know when you're upset and want someone to comfort you. I get upset when I'm sick. Geek boy came and hung out for a while earlier, we lounged in front of the fire and read. That was nice, but I felt nasty because I was so ill, and I made him go home. I don't _look_ sick yet, but I feel it in every inch of me. You know that feelings? Where you feel like crap and lameness and you drink lots of tea and you're congested, and then there's looking sick...I'm not there, yet. I think my nose will be swollen tommorrow, though. How can one human being produce this much snot?

By Z on Thursday, November 2, 2000 - 12:33 am:

I've been sick for a loong time, too.

wellness-vibes being sent in your general direction.

what happened to jay?

do you have my nudes?

cats rule.

if you bought me trainfare, could i stand in lieu of your cats?

By Isolde on Thursday, November 2, 2000 - 12:36 am:

No, you can't.
    A. I can't afford train fare.
    B. I want my cats, not a human. Sorry...
    Being sick is lame. I'm talking to a friend who is in tears over this boy...ah, boys. She's really upset. She started it with an open relationship, and now she's getting worked because she realized that she cared about.

By Z on Thursday, November 2, 2000 - 12:41 am:

ikes. ok...not fun. at all.

relationships, and such, and sex, and such, are all really dumb.

whatever happened to just friendly relations and plesant feelings towards other people?

huh?

am i just confused? or dumb?

By pez on Thursday, November 2, 2000 - 01:12 am:

soft tap water is good. our tap water i have to drink cold or let sit for a few hours.

preferably both.

i'm rather fond of carbonated water. takes some getting used to, but nobody steals your drink.

the queen of healthy (one throw-up in about four years) is sending vibes.

By Isolde on Thursday, November 2, 2000 - 12:32 pm:

It hasn't settled in my chest yet. Thank God. I went to the doctor today...she gave me a bunch of crap and told me to take it. I feel like crappiness incarnate. She did give me these badass lozenges, though, which I'm very much falling in love with. She's a great doctor, I wish everyone had a doctor like Jane. She's sweet and awesome and cool and wonderful.

By patrick on Thursday, November 2, 2000 - 03:04 pm:

shit, i had never heard of Poland springs until recently, and even drank it...arsenic? shit

we got very hard water here in LA, i get itchy after showers...

By Dougie on Thursday, November 2, 2000 - 04:07 pm:

"Poland Springs, what it means to be from Maine." I drink the stuff all the time. Tastes fine to me. Arsenic spices it up a little bit.

By pez on Friday, November 3, 2000 - 11:20 am:

isolde, do you know what you've got? i think i've got the beginnings of a sinus infection. i'll need to go to the doctor sometime next week, or else my grades will suffer (i had a horrible sinus infection that lasted for three months and it ruined my grades, i was too tired to do anything).

By Z on Saturday, November 4, 2000 - 07:06 pm:

heh.

what's the difference between sodium free water, distilled water, natural spring water, purified water, etc?

heh.

it all tastes like shit, anyway.

TAP WATER FOREVER!

although mercer county (fed by the elizabethtown water supply, which services 13 counties) has little to no flouride in it. oh well. oh well indeed.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact