here are some of my favourite words

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: here are some of my favourite words
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
R on Friday, May 12, 2000 - 03:35 pm:

egalitarian
    scooter
    stewardess
    bereave
    undulating
    pop
    truncate
    deciduous
    waft
    jungle
    voluptuous
    meander

By Dougie on Friday, May 12, 2000 - 04:27 pm:

Some of my favorite made up words:

tudball
    absotively
    scudiferous
    schmegma
    moleman
    samfrantastic

By droopy on Friday, May 12, 2000 - 06:06 pm:

some of my favorite words spoken by my doctor this afternoon.

quoth he:

"in all my years i've never seen someone with your injuries keep himself intact."

it's just the cockroach in me.

By J on Friday, May 12, 2000 - 06:26 pm:

Your doctor doesn,t have much tact does he Droopy?

By J on Friday, May 12, 2000 - 06:28 pm:

Before I started talking like a gutter,I use to call people a-hole so I would,nt say ass.

By Isolde on Friday, May 12, 2000 - 07:54 pm:

I used to say "donkey-hole." I just called someone an asshole today, actually, and I feel bad, because it's not him I'm angry with, and now I've got a big mess to unsnarl.

By N.b. on Saturday, May 13, 2000 - 08:35 am:

an administrative law judge once used "g-d." this was in a hearing where a transporter had been terminated for telling his supervisor he wasn't going to pick up the "god-damned carts" which was spelled out in full in the documentation, but in the hearing she used "g-d" and so everybody else started using "g-d" too. "Terence, did you tell Mrs. Avery you weren't going to pick up the g-d carts?" "Yes ma'am, because I had to go up on the 6th floor"..."When Terence told me he couldn't pick up the g-d carts, he didn't say he had another order." ... "Alonzo, did you hear Terence tell Mrs. Avery he wasn't going to pick up the g-d carts?" etc. In the official transcript I believe they capitalized the G.

By Dougie on Monday, May 15, 2000 - 11:42 am:

Was he orthodox Jewish, N.b.? I've seen them do that before.

By N.b. on Tuesday, May 16, 2000 - 06:34 pm:

it was a she, and I tend to doubt it.

By Nelly on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 07:04 pm:

ilk.

Just realized the beauty of that word. I really like it and other words of that ilk.

By sarah on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:23 am:

squelch.

that's the best word ever.

By lapis on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 09:23 pm:

leaner. as in ripe stone fruit.

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 5, 2006 - 09:40 am:

screed

By lapis on Wednesday, April 5, 2006 - 02:14 pm:

ferment.

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 5, 2006 - 02:50 pm:

foment
    clandestine
    dawdle
    mitre
    bevel
    wainscoting
    trifle

It's fucking snowing here. Anybody stay up for 01:02:03 on 04/05/06? I can assure you I was sleeping soundly through it.

By droopy on Wednesday, April 5, 2006 - 03:32 pm:

i was awake, but the moment was lost on me because the only thought in my head was "why the fuck can't i sleep?" i was still thinking that at 04:03:02.

wainscoting...sounds like a little dorset village, doesn't it? wainscoting.

cuidado con el ovejas.

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 5, 2006 - 06:35 pm:

Yeah, I guess it does, droop. I worked with a Wayne Scott once -- made a joke about Wayne Scotting, but right over his head. I looked up ovejas, and babelfish said it was "ewes". I'll ask the wife later what it is. Not sure why I put the word "screed" up there -- it's not a particularly nice word -- creed is, but add an "s", and it's a fairly harsh sounding word, at least to my ears.

By Nelly on Wednesday, April 5, 2006 - 09:42 pm:

no more harsh than "scrod". Scrod sounds really nasty. My new favorite word.

By droopy on Wednesday, April 5, 2006 - 09:59 pm:

i was told me this joke while in new england: a rich society woman is visiting boston. she was eager to try some of the seafood that are specialties of boston. she gets into a cab and asks the driver: "my good man, do you know where i can get scrod?" the cabbie turns to her and says: "wow, is that the past tense of that word?".

get it? this is how i remember it. there is another version where he says it was the first time he was ever asked for that in the past pluperflect or something like that.

it's a line from "monty python", dougie - the "killer sheep" episode. it just popped into my head. not long ago i spent a night in a bar at a monty python watching party.

i can't think of any words of my own.

mitre box. i need to get one for work.

By moonit on Thursday, April 6, 2006 - 03:33 am:

I like

candy
    fuck-knuckle
    turf

By TBone on Thursday, April 6, 2006 - 04:24 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact