The Second Amendment

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: The Second Amendment
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Isolde on Sunday, May 14, 2000 - 02:03 pm:

Sorry. I have to do this. I think firearms ownership should be legal _with a permit_. I do not think the NRA should jsutify firearms ownership with the second amendment--or rather, a segment of the second amendment, since they misuse it.
    "_A well regulated Militia,_ being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
    WHY does the NRA _insist_ on using only "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The second amendment _does not_ guarantee the right of _all_ citizens to own weapons. It guarantees the members of a "well regulated militia" to have weapons.
    Don't say nothing 'bout Uncle Dick down the street.
    Ok. I'm done.

By semillama on Sunday, May 14, 2000 - 03:40 pm:

The NRA is so uncompromising. All this fuss over licensing and registration of firearms. No one fusses over the same for cars. No difference. None. Cars are registered and drivers are licensed because motor vehicles are potentially dangerous pieces of technology. Guns are also potentially dangerous pieces of technology. Therefore, they too should be registered, and users of guns should be licensed.

I really don't see the problem with this. The NRA makes all sorts of noise that it's the bad guys who misuse guns, so why "punish" the good guys with more gun laws? Answer: responsible gun laws are not a punishment. If you license yourself as a gun user, and have yuor weapons registered, then you are known as a responsible citizen who, by complying with such registration laws, is helping to make his/her community safer. Would you rather live next to a gun woner who has registered his weapon and is licensed to use it, or one who is not? Would you want the person in the car next to you on the freeway to have a valid drivers license, or not?

Grow up, folks. No one really wants to take your toys away from you, we just want to make sure everyone who has one, knows how to use it safely. that's where the licensing comes in. I think the NRA's idea of having gun safety clsses in schools would be a great idea, if it followed the driver's ed program and was combined with a license at the end of the program, learner's permit and all.

Of course, there's the old argument "If we don't have guns, then the Government will take over all aspects of our lives."

Get this: no armed insurrection in the United States since the Revolution has succeeded. Most great social changes for the better have come across from non-violent movements (parts of the labor movement excluded): women's right to vote, civil rights for blacks, civil rights for gays and lesbians (in some places, so far), the anti-Vietnam movement, environmental policy, etc. Power over the government does not grow from the barrel of a gun, no matter what Ted Nugent and Charlton Heston want you to believe. Who has effected more change? Randy Weaver or Martin Luther King, Jr? Eric Rudolph or Ralph Nader?
    The Weathermen or Bella Abzug?

By Isolde on Sunday, May 14, 2000 - 04:41 pm:

Just what I was about to say.
    They make me irritable with their partyline.

By Margret on Sunday, May 14, 2000 - 06:02 pm:

Note to self: when the armed insurrection comes as a result of 30 years of increasingly totalitarian marshal law, Andy & Isolde do not want to be saved.
    Carry on.

By Isolde on Sunday, May 14, 2000 - 08:27 pm:

I didn't say I don't think people should own firearms. I just think they should have licenses for them. (And the licensing should be enforced.)
    Even I own a gun.
    And I have a license.

By Antigone on Monday, May 15, 2000 - 01:08 am:

I've got news for ya, Margaret. When the armed
    insurrection comes, it'll be squashed flat in
    about a day, maybe two. A gun doesn't do shit
    against biological/chemical/etc weapons. There
    are weapon systems in development that you can't
    even imagine, many of then geared towards urban
    warfare. Do you really think a pop gun is going
    to make a fucking difference? OK, it'd give you
    something to blow your head off with before the
    heavily armored soldiers break your door down.

All this talk about "I need my gun for when the
    revolution comes" is just moronic. It's fatally
    naive. You were kidding, right?

By mistaswine on Monday, May 15, 2000 - 08:43 am:

what, man?

you don't watch tv?

when the cops come, what ya do is SHOOT at 'em.

that works all the time.

By semillama on Monday, May 15, 2000 - 12:35 pm:

Just ask that 12-year-old with the shotgun. He bagged his cop, although the cop got him as well.

And I'll be out of this country long before it gets bad enough for armed insurrection.

By J on Monday, May 15, 2000 - 12:38 pm:

I,m with Sem on this.5 more years and you know where I,ll be.

By patrick on Monday, May 15, 2000 - 01:10 pm:

i am too exhausted to get in here

(hand motion)

mixit up!

By Dougie on Monday, May 15, 2000 - 01:20 pm:

Rosie O'Donnell belongs in the "WEEDS" thread. Somebody start one about her, please.

By Lamskin on Monday, May 15, 2000 - 02:08 pm:

I have a gun...

By drippy on Monday, May 15, 2000 - 02:21 pm:

go shoot rosie o'donnell. you'll be in all the papers.

By Isolde on Monday, May 15, 2000 - 03:59 pm:

The armed insurrection, much like Clinton's erection, is a subject of much speculation and little occurence.

By R.C. on Monday, May 15, 2000 - 08:31 pm:

I think abt shootoing people a lot lately.

Only Charlton Heston & the usual NRA mouthpieces. Spent a good chunk of my weekend taking in the the Million Mom March speeches. I'm sure that's what set me off.

If I cd afford a good lawyer & had been rich for a coupla years -- y'know/just long enuf to get bored w/1st-class-travel-at-will & 1st-rate-drugs-&-booze in my beachouse overlooking the ocean/& doing the Paris collections twice a year/blase, blase -- if I'd taken a sufficient bite outta the Good Life to be ready to say "Okay, I got mine -- if it's all down here from here on/WTF" I'd get myself a handgun (it simply has to be a handgun) spend a few months on target practice/then just show up at some big NRA forum & blow one of those assholes right off the podium.

Entrenched assholes are the worst. Won't budge an inch. Won't give the other side the smallest modicum of credit for having a legit viewpoint.

How can you be opposed to triggerlocks? If you haven't got kids in the hse./then you can leave the damn ock off if you're so sure you need immediate access to a ready-to-fire weapon.

How can you be opposed to a 3-day waiting period? Or prohibiting anyone but licensed dealers from buying more than 1 gun per month? Or banning private ownership of assault weapons?

I'm sure I'd never make it out of the auditorium alive. But if I did/just think of what a humdinger of a trial THAT wd be!

I'd have to hire Dershowitz & Cochran. But fuck it -- it'd be worth the legal bills just to see what sort of defense they'd come up with.

And maybe/when the dust cleared/the NRA wd finally Get The Point. Maybe that's what it'll take to make them stop acting like imbeciles & concede that It's The Guns, Stupid! There are too damn many of them available to anyone anywhere in America.

Ah, well -- a girl can still dream...

By Isolde on Monday, May 15, 2000 - 08:40 pm:

It's a better dream to have then some...

By The Watcher on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 01:29 pm:

I have nothing better to do at this moment.

So I thought I would add my two cents.

One: A millitia as defined at the time of writing the Bill of Rights litterally ment all able bodied men above a certain age. I believe that it was 14. But, I could be wrong on the exact age.

Therefore, the argument from tha anti gun crowd that the National Guard constitutes a millitia is a lie.

Two: No other amendment that uses the phrase "the people" has ever been inturpreted as a collective right as opposed to a individual right.

I do not think the writers of the Constitution and Bill of Rights were stupid or ambigious in this matter. I think they ment that the right for all individuals to own a gun for, self protection, Community defense, National Defense, and Defense against an overblown tiranicle government is absolute.

Finally anyone who thinks that assualt weapons should be banned knows nothing about them. The only difference between an assault rifle and a semi-automatic hunting rifle is it's physical appearence. In many cases a semi-automatic hunting rifle is more powerful and will do much more damage.

God I must be Bored!!!

By spunky on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 01:35 pm:

Damn,
    How did I ever miss this thread?
    Maybe this was just before I got here...

By Antigone on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 03:33 pm:

I think the price of ownership for any gun should be to be shot with that gun, at close range, once. No body armor allowed.

By Cat on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 01:25 am:

So what type of gun do you have, Antigone?

By Agent on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 10:29 am:

Satan's Severed Head, model 317

By The Watcher on Wednesday, July 9, 2014 - 06:40 am:

I want to revive the discussion.

You are your own first responder. The Police can not aperate like Harry Potter and save you from the bad guy.

I've taken up target shooting within the last year. And, because of this I've done a lot of reading. For all my liberal friends here you should really worry about what is going on in the world. Gun confiscation, and there are some laws on the books that allow this, is not just a threat to our rights. It makes more victims. Most encounters involving legal gun owners and criminals do not end in a shooting. Usually the criminal runs away. However, people who use other means of self defense are more likely to become injured or killed.

By droopy on Wednesday, July 9, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

just be careful, watcher.

By The Watcher on Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 05:21 am:

I am always careful.

I am also clumsy.

By Pepper on Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 02:58 pm:

I have few weapon of choice, in just case.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact