i want a new haircut

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: i want a new haircut
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Margret on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 02:27 pm:

I am sick of this wannabe long dumbassed all one length crap. I want chic short hair. Right now I'm looking at the styles as worn by Josh Hartnett in 'The Faculty' and Milla Jovovich in 'The Messenger.' Feedback would be appreciated. I need a haircut that looks good unfucked with, as fucking with my hair is an even lower priority for me than applying lipstick.

By J on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 02:53 pm:

Keep it long,french braid it,no messing with it.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 03:13 pm:

long hair is sexy

nico has been letting her hair grow long. i kpet telling her how sexy and lovely it is....when i first met her it was shoulderlength and it's almost there again. if i were a female and had radiant red hair like hers, it would be long and glorious too.

By Margret on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 03:40 pm:

Ah-ha!
    A slightly longer Caesar cut.
    Yes!
    I certainly appreciate the sexiness factor of long hair, and all, but I'm thinking it's sexier not to pass out from the heat. See, here in New Mexico it's in the high 80s to mid-90s every day...and it's not summer yet. July is going to suck ass.
    Short short hair.
    Plus, I have a long neck and nice earlobes. It would be nice to see those again.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 03:51 pm:

no no no images of a demi moore ala Ghost come to mind......howzabout something similar to a Chole Sevigny look....semi long bangs, but short enough off your neck to keep cool...

i am sure you will settle on something very nice

By Margret on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 03:56 pm:

I don't want nice.
    I want something to maximize the scary factor.
    I don't need a soft haircut, I have soft features.
    They need to be repressed and moulded into something FIERCE.
    Grrr.

By J on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 04:04 pm:

Thats why the french braid,my neck doesn,t get hot.Sometimes I hot curl it and just pull it all the way up.

By Star on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 04:14 pm:

I bet you would look great with a hair cut like the lead singer from Kittie. It is not soft, and it is short, and it looks hot. It is fierce, and I think it is great for dark hair...I recomend it. If I hadn't of shaved my head a little while back, and my hair was long enough, I would cut it like that. You know, if you want to scare people, try a chelsea.

By Millicent havarti on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 06:02 pm:

what's a chelsea? i knew once but i forgot.

By Isolde on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 09:16 pm:

Just bun it. That's what I do when it's really hot. My hair is down past my butt now, so I can understand the heat factor big time. IThink long hair is extremly sexy. But that might be because I have it. I love being able to have long hair to play dress-up with sometimes. I haven't cut it since high school, and the ends are still really clena. Wierd. Anyway. Keep it long. No one should cut their hair, unless it's to remove split ends.

By agatha on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 09:43 pm:

i like short hair. do what you want margret, you will look hot no matter what.

By Dougie on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 10:49 pm:

Short good for man. Long good for woman.

By sarah on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 11:02 pm:

margret, listen to me before you do anything.

i have long all one length hair that ranges from boring to ratty. this is not necessarily the kind of hair i would choose. i would like to have a short haircut. here's the thing: the whole "if i have short hair i won't have to fuck with it" thing is an illusion.

the reason i have long hair? i can't be bothered with haircuts. i get my hair cut *maybe* 3 times a year by my friend's husband who is an art student. he uses fabric shears.

when you have short hair, it requires more maintenance to keep it from being a nuisance that you have to fuck with. short hairs turns into a nuisance much faster than long hair. it has to be kept up in order for it to remain being what it was meant to be, which is hair that doesn't have to be fucked with.

see? it's a trap.

long hair is simple. i never have to fuck with my hair and i keep hair ties at all stations that i frequent: bedside, desk, car. i brush my hair once when i get up in the morning and once when i got to bed. all i do is wash it with some crappy brand shampoo [whatever is on sale at the drug store]. i wouldn't even blow dry it in the mornings or at night, except that i can't stand to have wet hair.

i wouldn't say i have a good hair style, but i have good hair. and it's very long. it looks fine, and most importantly, it's easy.

anyway, that's all i had to say. if you do get it cut, let me know how you like having short, chic hair and i will be jealous.

By Isolde on Tuesday, May 30, 2000 - 11:07 pm:

Dougie--it's not that simple.

By J on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 01:57 am:

Just don,t do anything drastic before the wedding,if you still want short hair after the wedding go for it,but that won,t give you much time if you cut your hair and don,t like it to fix it.They have some really cool oriential hair combs.Sarah,that is I feel about the hair deal too.

By Margret on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 02:05 am:

It's done.
    We went to a cheap assed hair cut place after work.
    Cameron got his bobbed below the ears, I got 'George Clooney's hair' because I didn't want to confuse my 'stylist' with the command to render unto Caesar the stylings worthy thereof.
    I look fucking awesome and I feel fucking awesome and Cameron loves it.
    I've fallen for the short hair trap before, Sarah, I knew what I was getting into. Truth: I simply look better with short hair. My desire to fuck with it never goes away, but the bleaching was doing the kind of damage even the Body Shop's 'Banana Putty' (god, I love that shit) won't fix. Now when I bleach it, I know I've got just a couple of weeks max before the bad hair goes away. And now I can toy with all the manic panic colours I haven't yet tried (pillbox red, here I come, bitch!).
    Thanks for the concern, long haired gals and short haired gals and guys of every hair range. You would not believe the feeling of freedom I experienced watching those faux platinum tresses fall to the floor.
    BTW: I really love wigs. This is how I will excuse the expense of purchasing them, and be able to wear them in relative comfort!

By Deechimpanzee on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 08:59 am:

Note on the Manic Panic: Pillbox Red. I myself dyed my hair that exact color this week. It looked good for a couple of days and then began to wash out. By Sunday it was pink, which violated all my preset fierce artpunk male cravings (Grrrr! indeed.).

So I dyed it black.Which looked VERY bad in an Eddie Munster, Ming the Merciless kind of way.

I shaved my head to undo the damage and discovered that the skin underneath had ALSO been dyed black; so now I looked like a shaved monkey (ah, irony!) with a helmet painted on his dome in shoe polish. EEK!

One packet of bleach applied directly to my scalp and several painful blisters later, I rinsed my head in the shower, while mumbling something under my breath to the tune of, "Please God- if all my hair doesn't fall out and I can grow some again I promise not to fuck with traditional ideas of what's acceptable for male hair styles again. Other than shaving it darn short, which doesn't freak people out anymore, anyway."- my typical "consequences" invocation to the powers that be.

ANY hair can be bad hair if you work at it.

I'm off hair dye.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 12:26 pm:

wife has a bunch of wigs, she loves to play with.....yes wigs are fun.. she likes to be "veronica" (the bettypage hair) for a day or "camile" (the strawberry french harlot look)

dougie fresh thats like saying boys like wear blue and girls wear pink.

i need a haircut pronto
    i had a cesar once, the key in a cesar is the layers....they always fucked the layers.

my hair girl does cuts my hair wiht the razor method.

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 12:32 pm:

Tarzan likes short hair man, long hair woman. Good.

Man wear blue clothes. Woman go naked. Good.

By Czarina on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 01:09 pm:

What did the psychiatrist say to the patient who showed up at his office,wearing nothing but Saran Wrap?

" I can clearly see you're nuts."

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 01:13 pm:

Nice one, Czarina. Speaking of nuts, anybody see Tom Green's cancer special?

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 01:36 pm:

Oh, and by the way, Comedy Central is planning on taking Upright Citizens' Brigrade, the most brilliant, original show on TV off the air. Please go here and sign the petition:

http://www.i-mockery.com/ucb/

By J on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 02:20 pm:

I signed it Dougie,that is pretty sorry that they would want to get rid of such a fresh funny show,when (I loved this show) but they have shown the AB Fab reruns so many times it,s pathetic.Czarina,it was good hearing from you,as always it,s total chaos here,welcome to the non-working world.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 03:03 pm:

First Good Vs. Evil, now this! What's next, Space Ghost or Farscape? Is this some plot to cancel all of my very favorite shows? Gahh!!! Sign the petition and forward the link to your friends!

By Czarina on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 03:06 pm:

"J", I think we might have been "cyber-penetrated"
    early this am.I signed on about 7am my time, so 5am your time, and saw you were online,so I sent you an instant message, saying I'd try to hook up with you in our chat room, and almost immediately, it said you were no longer online.Was that you or someone else?

By J on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 03:45 pm:

It was probably me,that is about the time I went to bed,I have not been sleeping well and I was drinking right to the end,I wanted to get in bed before s/o got up.You should have never got me hooked up to the fight room ha ha:)

By Star on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 04:44 pm:

Great!! Welcome to the world of short hair! I have had short hair for a while, and just to clerify what a "chelsea" is. A chelsea is a hair cut, that is usually classified as "punk", but that is just a side note. Well, it is a cut to where you shave the back part with clippers, and leave a little stubble of length, but leave a patch in the front. I had one for a long time, and I loved it, it could be worn anywhere from spiked up in the front, or just pushed back, or pushed forward. I had six or so inches in the front, it was that long I mean. Right now I have sort of a progressive hair cut, it is longer in the front, and gets shorter...but this is not about me is it...? Well, enjoy the new look...

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 04:55 pm:

Thanks J and semillama for signing. I just hope it helps. Fucking tv execs wouldn't know a good show if it came up and bit them on the ass. I'll betcha they keep that moronic Strangers With Candy too.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 08:24 pm:

Did iyou see the ads for the show that's getting its time slot? Looks completely dull.

Complete fuckers! Damn them. Remember how Fox wasn't going to keep Futurama? Jeez-us!

Then the new Clerks sereis is only 6 episodes, because ABC thinks it's going to tank, although I've heard it's as funny as the funny (albeit with cleaner language).

I know I shouldn't obsess over things like this, but I LIVE IN FUCKING WISCONSIN.

What am I supposed to do, go tip cows?

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 08:39 pm:

No, what's the show taking its place, semillama?

By J on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 09:01 pm:

I,m sorry Dougie,I like Strangers with Candy,I can relate.

By cyst on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 09:12 pm:

margret - good for you.

By Isolde on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 09:18 pm:

Glad you like it. That's what's important. My hair officially passed the ass mark this morning. It's now _way_ down there. I think I have to trim the ends just to avoid sanitation accidents. That's nuts. The last time I had hair this long was a really long time ago.
    I used to bun it.
    I never watch TV--you must explain all of this "Tom Green" to me.

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 09:31 pm:

By Isolde on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 10:28 pm:

thanks. I think I twisted my ankle. It really hurts.

By Gee on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 11:36 pm:

Tom Green takes a lot of getting used to, and he still annoys me with some of the things he does. but I love seeing Normal People get mad at him.

anyway, I know you're talking about tv here, but I just want to mention that I love Get Fuzzy. that cat is so freaking cute and evil, I wish he were my own.

By Isolde on Thursday, June 1, 2000 - 12:01 am:

That was great. I've only seen one and I already love it...

By Czarina on Thursday, June 1, 2000 - 12:47 am:

Did you twist your ankle on your hair?

By Gee on Friday, June 2, 2000 - 01:15 am:

I just realized that because of the way I linked to that comic, it'll be a different strip every day.

oh well.

By Gee on Friday, June 2, 2000 - 01:21 am:

By patrick on Friday, June 2, 2000 - 11:47 am:

getting my ears lowered today, and boy do i need it!
    going out to the desert tomorrow for Exotic World

burlesque burlesque burlesque
    foto op foto op foto op

hot hot hot hot hot

so at least my noodle will be cool

By J on Friday, June 2, 2000 - 01:15 pm:

I remember you mentioning that a while ago,it sounds like a party.How do you get your ears lowered?

By patrick on Friday, June 2, 2000 - 01:57 pm:

scissors and razors

By Isolde on Saturday, June 3, 2000 - 01:24 am:

No, it ended up not being twisted, and I certainly didn't twist it on my hair...it's not that long. I'm very wet. I just went swimming in the river. Br.

By Spider on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 11:13 pm:

"We went to a cheap assed hair cut place after work.
    Cameron got his bobbed below the ears, I got 'George Clooney's hair' because I didn't want to confuse my 'stylist' with the command to render unto Caesar the stylings worthy thereof. "

O Margret. Margret, O. Verily, fucking awesome.

I got my haircut today! Yay! After a year and a half looking like an honorary member of Def Leppard circa whenever this was taken, I finally feel like myself again. My relief is ineffable. Picture.

Also, I was messing around with the camera that's built into my Mac, and I took some photos I will share anon. Remember those pictures Cyst used to post of herself in various stages of undress so we could all tell her how hot she was? They're not like that. I'd like to imagine that if Dave were here, he'd laugh at me and win this round. These are the gothiest:

O Dave, Where Art Thou?

By droopy on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 12:29 am:

i could see the haircut picture - to my delight - but it was so dark that i could only your face and not the haircut. i had to imagine the def leppard hair on you. the numbered pictures came up as black boxes.

if this doesn't bring dave back, nothing will.

i haven't gotten a haircut, but i did get a tan. and a touch of contact dermatitis.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:07 am:

Spider, Def Leppard? Yeah I remember that when I was at high school as 9th grade, you surely brought me back some memory. but however, the picture from 1 to 5 needs indoor flash.

By Spider on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:15 am:

Oh ho, yes, the b & w photos are best viewed at night. (Sisters of Mercy playing in the background: optional.) Flash? No no no, sir.

The haircut one was taken in full light, though, and should be, like, normal. Weird. Maybe your monitor needs adjustment? Ah, well, trust me: the hair is cute.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 01:20 pm:

delightful head shot in great lighting, where fore art thou arte?

Sisters merciless. You got sisters?

You don't any longer look deaf at all.

We should all sorabjispecial haircuts every tuesday, right before the conservative financial rallies planned today or tomorrow.

By sarah on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 02:01 pm:

i love #4. your hair is super cute. sorry if that's the wrong adjective.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 02:24 pm:

after all these years i have seen the spider

and
    it makes me very
    happy.

don't even bring up the pictures of cyst from her eastern european days.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 02:27 pm:

my woman cuts my hair to her liking. i dont really have any control and its always really dumb the first day or two but grows out in rapid fashion to reasonable form. i was really mad at her two weeks ago when she gave me a particularly gay looking doo, but it's since worked out.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 02:57 pm:

Looks great Spider!

By Spider on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:08 pm:

No, cute is good! I can do cute. I can't do...whatever the hell the Def Leppard look was supposed to be doing. Ugh, let us speak of those dark days no more.

Patrick, you reminded me of the ridiculous haircut my roommate Theresa gave to our other roommate Pete. It looked like a sweet page-boy bowl-cut that Prince Valiant would sport -- he wore it manfully for a day and then gave up and shaved his head.

By droopy on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:54 pm:

it's a always my fault when i can't see the pictures everybody else can see - my antiquated 20th century crappy computer. pero vi la cara de araña y que fue suficiente. que linda.

anybody else feel like this is a mildly momentous moment that spider has finally shown her face. it seems like some kind of a breakthrough for our beloved arachnid.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:57 pm:

o, backward toward the days of follicular disposition diversity.

i like this new visible spider era.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 04:04 pm:

i'm with you, droop. mildly momentous.

my first mental translation of your spanish was that you were saying your monitor is sufficient to surf the web, and ver la cara de araña was some sort of spanish euphemism for surfing the web.

webs, spiders, it isn't far fetched. well, not that far fetched if you ignore context.

i feel silly.

i wonder if platy's hair has been growing for the past 8 years, and if it now keeps her feet warm at night.

By droopy on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 04:56 pm:

that was actually a song lyric with spider's nombre substituted. it seems easier to compliment people in another language - no matter how meager my command of the language.

me gusta - no, me encanta - la nueva era de la araña visible

By platypus on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 05:06 pm:

Nate, my hair has indeed continued growing, but since I actually get regular haircuts now instead of letting the ends get disgusting and ratty, it's tapped out at my lower back. I actually just got a haircut last week, and she took more off than I expected, so my hair feels unexpectedly lighter. And spiky. Long hair doesn't look so great spiky, incidentally.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 05:10 pm:

TOTALLY

like this new visible spider era

By patrick on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 05:26 pm:

i mean, what 8 years i've been entertaining visuals of our dear rhiannon and spider and finally, one day, casually, she drops a clear, straight ahead image

By Danielssss on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 05:58 pm:

Beautiful, should be under "Is it art?" Ah for the unfettered image of it all.

Even the disguises are wonderful though.

What I might not verbalize but I do know...Heather's beautiful, even more than her words; Nate is as I imagined though more real, don't know if I've seen a pic of Droop or Semillama.

Patrick's art makes his image more real; When I met the beautiful CZ some years ago, her hair and eyes were as wonderfully playful as Spider's today, though I mean no comparison.

Sarah is the beautiful Sarah, and like Sarah, Heather's laughing and noble visage and smile go well beyond the usual beauty of her words.

I can see Dani's smile and J's frown and laughter, but the steward of sorabjilife, Mark stumped me for a long time.

And Platy's smiling upwards appears indelibly etched in my memory from years' past.

Seems the image, imagined or real, enriches the life here.

By heather on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 06:10 pm:

beautiful.

what about the rest of you? (people, not the rest of spider as i would never presume.)

By Spider on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 06:46 pm:

(Heather, I *heart* you.)

Thanks, y'all. Perhaps this new era of Sorabji Transparency foretells a coming shift in the political ethos. Fingers crossed.

Platy, I applaud your dedication to good long hair maintenance. I was not so conscientious when my hair was long, and the consequences were unsightly.

By kazu on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 07:26 pm:

spider purty!

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 09:32 pm:

I like #3 best in your dark studies.

By wisper on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:04 pm:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa look at Spider! She's so cute! And like super italian looking.

I think #3 would make a really good desktop image, if it were larger and one was into having really creepy desktops.

My current desktop is the cast of Battlestar Gallactica drawn in the style of The Simpsons :P

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:39 pm:

See, the awesome aspect of the spider pics is that they were totally unnecessary. She looks exactly as I always imagined her.

And I beg to differ, your pics are hot, especially #3.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:16 am:

Thank you, that's very nice of you to say so. :)

But I was being serious when I said I didn't post these to get compliments. So, please, y'all, feel encouraged to post links to your own pictures, baby pictures, sonograms, pictures of your pets, your artwork, home remodeling efforts, meals you've cooked, your siblings, ___________ .

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:36 am:

The only pics I have at the moment are of Ada. However, as it is me and Marci's 2nd anniversary today, I expect there will be some wedding photos up soon. :)

By droopy on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:39 am:

the best i have are pictures of the place i spent last weekend in. your pictures are more interesting.

By moonit on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:50 am:

I like three.

And wierdly enough am going to a Def Leppard concert next month. Was actually supposed to be a Judas Priest concert but they had 'logistics problems' and I already had flights to Auckland.

Wankers.

By platypus on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 01:31 am:

By sarah on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:09 pm:

we've never seen photos of droopy either.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 04:05 pm:

i forget about dirty red commie.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 04:06 pm:

this reminds of a game i used to play as a kid called "show me yours i'll show you mine" though we are many rounds into it.

remind me to tell you about all the times i got caught.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 06:40 pm:

playing dirty red commie or show me your show me mine??

Platy is indelible. I had forgtten about Heather's new glasses and the bear hat. But how long ago/ we should all do an upddate. I discovered a) lost my password for the album b) can't seem to get a new one today.

How about flicker or???

By platypus on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 06:56 pm:

By heather on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 07:21 pm:

well.

there goes that last thread of separation.

By platypus on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 08:00 pm:

Sorry. I sort of assume everyone knew about each other's Flickr accounts...my bad.

By Nate on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 08:10 pm:

i give up.

By platypus on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 08:19 pm:

I tell you what, I wish there was a thread of separation between me and my neighbor's screaming children. Actually, more like a heavy cable of separation.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 08:26 pm:

i give up... trying to keep up. so many places to socially network make brain go spin spin spin

By Nate on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 08:29 pm:

tell me about it. i can't stand my neighbors kids. always whining and crying.

i want a moat of separation. a moat full of alligators disguised as hamsters.

the new neighbors brought a kid with them, too. fucking assholes.

get a cork, bitches.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:02 pm:

gee, I am in the dark AGAIN. Chopped liver. Old hippy goat farmer syndrome.

By heather on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:18 pm:

being in the dark also means that you see out but we don't see in. where's *your* flickr?

By moonit on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:02 pm:

crazy. do not have flickr only facebook. which i just changed to pirate language. hee.

By platypus on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:41 pm:

I have to say, I love not being on facebook/friendster/myspace. My life is so much simpler without the "social networking." Does facebook have some sort of language selector which allows you to pick "pirate" from a dropdown menu? Because that is pretty amazing.

By platypus on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:42 pm:

Also, Nate, why don't you be the scary neighbor with guns who terrorizes the children?

By la on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:47 pm:

spider, you're adorable.

By platypus on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:50 pm:

By Nate on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:52 pm:

i'm not going to pull a gun on a child.

but i imagine i am the scary neighbor. for everyone, kids and adults.

By platypus on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:31 am:

Oh no, I'm not suggesting that you pull guns on children. I was just thinking that you could install a prominent gun rack in your vehicle, or may make a point of cleaning pistols on the porch or something. I'm definitely the scary neighbor in the 'hood, but apparently not scary enough to immobilize children with a single glance.

By droopy on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 01:52 am:

sarah, and a couple of other sorabjites, have seen a picture of me. years ago, but it still counts. i'm under no obligation to provide another.

By Danielssss on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:20 am:

Obligation? Obligation?

I'm not on flicker because , w e l l, I'm not photogenic like the rest of you, though Sem barely qualifies, and Nate, hmmm, is Nate.

Speaking of debates, the true UNTruth is Patrick took several series of photographs for me for the National Enquirer, during my political years, but got them mixed up with nudes from California sunsets; Droopy then edited them all and set the graphics to jazz; while Sarah cut paper clothes out online from Sierra Trading Company to cover my deficits, but somehow the end result came out looking like recipes for veggie burgers.

My haircut does not even show in my last posting of my whereabouts, which being chopped liver, may have been promptly dismissed as wandering musings of an old goat. And since #we# all hate social networking sites, and I got yelled at for not maintaining proper blog etiquette, or was it?, not being able to develop a surreal website myself, being technically inept....I thought the link was operative. Here it is again, a little differently....

http://www.lisanovalive.com/events/event/listUserEventsByType?user=1mgjsmmda18y6&type=Workshop&page_q=AAAAAwAAAAE=&page=-1

I'm in the little box. No not the pussy willow or the seagull or the tree root, the guy who looks like he is an old goat.

By Danielssss on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:46 pm:

I'm in. Search for silvercoachman100 on flicker. I can't get the link to work, and 3 out of 4 tries the search didn't either. But I am there with a little photographic evidence of my existence.

By droopy on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 01:21 pm:

searching for silvercoachman100 was a dead end for me. but let me be absolutely positive: this is you. you are the complete opposite of how i had you pictured in my mind. in my imagination you were thin in a malnourised sort of way and your face was angular and russo-satanic with a grey-flecked goatee and mustache.

on a different note, i have a fun fact.

remember me talking about my aunt nina the club foot cripple and her 4 line diary?

"Aug 17, 1934 - At 11:45 we discovered the house was on fire. By or before 1p.m. everything was flat. Aunt Em & Wallace helped save all we could. Moved into the garage."

that was the house they spent two years building to replace the old one that had been there since 1872.

but this is not the fun fact.

nina's oldest brother was john r. morgan, the great-great grandfather - on his mother's side - of the actor jason ritter. i just saw him (ritter) promoting some movie and i thought of that.

i know. wow, huh.

By Nate on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 01:27 pm:

that's nothing short of amazing, droop.

Danielsss, I don't understand your random attacks on me.

focused attacks, my friend. focused and coherent.

By platypus on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 01:37 pm:

By droopy on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 01:44 pm:

actually had things confused when i wrote that. nina's oldest brother was *my* great-grandfather. john r. was nina's uncle. but they were both born on the same patch of land in the picture, in the house that burned down.

ritter and i even have the same family middle name. seems a shame that i've never seen any of his movies.

By Karla on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 03:30 pm:

By semillama on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 03:31 pm:

Daniel, I had always imagined you with a really long beard. But I can tell it's you from the photo of you at a table. Something about your expression in that photo translates to your posts here...

By Nate on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 04:33 pm:

it's the rapy eyes.

By Danielssss on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 04:55 pm:

rapy or raspy, both might work. Actually Nate, you are tops in my book, and any misleadingly sarcastic attempt at attack really is meant as a compliment. You know, sorabji wise. I think you and Sem are quite younger than I am (hell, most of you are) but I appreciate both of your wisdom and wit, from both of you. Hold you both, and The Droopmeister in high regard, also Anti, though he is I think the one I've gotten closest to meeting some years ago.

I am really quite reclusive, and more than once thought I ought to stop posting altogether.

I had a beard, though rather short for some twenty years. After my divorce in 1980, I shaved, and my ex told me that I had come out of hiding.

And the sushi table pic is a paunchy pic though just last June. I have continued to lose and lose, though not for all the right reasons.

Glad you navigageted the link...if you search for silve...100 under people the page comes up, but apparently since there is nothing labelled silv...100 in the photostream, a search of the photos comes up nothing, Droop.

By patrick on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 05:04 pm:

i've met jason ritter, son of john ritter, on several occasions as he's been in a few of our productions. super nice guy and decent actor.

By sarah on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 05:19 pm:

jason ritter does lesbian porn?

;)

karla, my hair cut looks like your hair cut only no bangs.

By sarah on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 05:23 pm:

does anyone remember how to upload photos to the sorabji gallery of doom?

By patrick on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 07:52 pm:

totally lost me on the lesbian porn thing. you dont think i still work at the gay/les publisher do you?

By ... on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 12:32 am:

starting in October, 2006, but not really doing it regularly until March '07, any time i entered a diner/pub/restaurant/public place i would take a picture of my reflection in a mirror. i did this almost every single day for over a year. sometimes i took 2 or 3 or 4 pictures in case one was blurry or offended my vanity. i now have exactly 1200 pictures of my stunning, stunning face.

like my face this little project is nothing to brag about (or "nothing to shout about" as my dad would have said) -- if it even amounts to a "project". it was more of a footnote-to-self type of thing. i wanted to take an object and objectify it. this object happened to be my face. the goal was to track its progress over an arbitrary period of time.

big deal.

this is nothing new. the infinite column inch of the Internet makes the daily self-portrait (and its public sharing) a cliché.

i'm pacing through all these pictures now and think i'll either throw them or take another look a year from now.

i've recently come back into contact with a circle of people i knew in 1993 and 1994. we mostly knew each other via the Internet, and at the time few could scan or upload pictures. until recently the only people i recognized from that time were those i met in person. at the time i never even vaguely assumed that this circle of influence would remain coherent 14 or 15 years on, but there they all are, idling on IRC and acting the same as when i was there.

but now, of course, everybody has a face. all these people who haunted my mind with nothing but words now appear to have full bodies (hands, arms) behind all the text that piled up among us.

the one girl i almost fell in love with seems as insane as ever and she still makes me laugh and still makes me nervous enough to stay the fuck away. the girl who almost fell in love with me sent screenfuls of text last week telling how she tried to kill herself last month. (i have never attracted [nor have i ever been attracted to] the sane ones.) the woman who showed up at my place morning after morning, she ignores me now, which is good. others seem to remember every last word of the chatroom conversations we had. it's all still connected to them but to me it seems like a lifetime has passed and i want my memories of that place (which was no *place* at all) to remain foggy. i was in so much trouble back then.

i got a haircut tuesday.

By heather on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 02:37 pm:

daniel does not look like a goat

karla is so cute and has my favorite haircut of all time

platy cleverly has no pictures of herself that i can find

i'm thankful that most of the party pictures are not on flickr

these are my observations

By droopy on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 02:53 pm:

By platypus on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 03:18 pm:

My photostream is so much more exciting without me in it. And what's wrong with party pictures?

By platypus on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 03:24 pm:

By Karla on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 03:25 pm:

Aw, thanks Heather! Wow, Platypus is hot. Who else wants to see Mark's haircut?

By patrick on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 04:25 pm:

are you guys naked in that water fight?

By Danielssss on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 09:28 pm:

My last substantial haircut must have been sometime in the early nineties, but I've cut two - three inches at a time, over the years, especially when small animals or twigs or other crap from mowing lawn seem to take up residence. My next haircut will be to radically cut it all off, lose it all into a shaved head; since the scalp seems still healthy, and since the nuclear drugs taken in September have only caused slight thinning and some pull outs, well... I'll keep the mop as long as I can.

I wanna see Mark's doo too.

By Nate on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 09:37 pm:

what'd you catch?

i just cut my hair to 1/16" and my beard to 1/8".

i'm going to wear a shirt with buttons and eat morrocan food.

after a moderate hiatus, this mofo has a job.

By Danielssss on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 09:43 pm:

I like the maintenance of a shaved head. It's like the maintenance of a cue ball. (just don't drop it)

How do buttons and moroccan food fit in the equation?

By platypus on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:16 pm:

I wish I was eating Moroccan food, buttons or not.

And, Patrick, in answer to your question, if you were swimming in the middle of the woods in the summer on a lazy day with old friends, would you be naked?

By semillama on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:30 pm:

i'd be naked, especially if a) the season was winter, b) the pond was a snow bank, and c) I'd just stepped out of a 200-degree sauna.

I miss saunas. and if it isn't wood-fired with rocks you throw water on for steam, it ain't a real sauna.

By droopy on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:47 pm:

now you've put the image of patrick frolicking naked in a swimming hole in my head. i won't tell you what i see, but i will tell you soundtrack.

as I was swimming cross turtle creek,
    man, them snappers all around my feet.
    sure was hard swimming cross that thing,
    with both hands holding my ding-a-ling-a-ling

my ding-a-ling, my ding-a-ling
    won't you play with my ding-a-ling?
    my ding-a-ling, my ding-a-ling
    i want you to play with my ding-a-ling

By platypus on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:36 pm:

Saunas are the bomb. If I ever own my own house, a sauna will be installed.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:46 pm:

Had a large sauna and an ancient mississipi river wooden hot tub in my lake house some years ago. It was a party house. Hot tub we used all the time, sauna only once in a while. Being half swede i thought i would use it more, but just didn't. I've had not tubs and spas in two houses, always use them. My current project is building a greenhouse around a new spa that I purchased last year used on Craigs' list. It's more the size of a small pool. My massage therapist had an infrared sauna that was cozy. Felt like I just got out of a microwave. I like the wood fired sauna the best, far less controllable than an electric one and toastier. though I feel more like toast with an electric one. Actually, it is the mix of water on hot rocks that makes steam that drives the temp up, and there is something just not right about throwing water on an electric appliance while standing naked in the dark and not expecting something strange to occur.

Are west coast sauna different from east coast sauna?

By Nate on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 01:59 pm:

i don't think i've ever been in a sauna.

it sounds like Houston. and who voluntarily go to Houston?

By droopy on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 02:38 pm:

30 years i've lived in texas and i've never been to houston.

i've been in a sauna in rhode island. when i was a kid my family would sail to newport just about every summer (in the 70s) and we'd dock or moor near a place called the treadway inn - we always knew where there were hotels from connecticut to massachusets where we could use the facilities for free. my father would take me into the sauna. i remember it was always full of fat, middle-aged men naked or in a white towels. there would be a short column in the middle of the room with what looked like coals burning. sometimes there would be a potato sitting in the coals.

By wisper on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 08:19 pm:

saunas make me nauseous, definitely not a fan of heat :(

By kazu on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 09:00 pm:

Sauna-types are weird.

Anything that causes my husband to use the word "ain't" is banned from our home.

By platypus on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 10:15 pm:

There are few things in this world as wonderful as toasting in a searing sauna and then bolting out the door, rolling in a snowbank, and running back in to do it all over again. I guess I'm just weird, because I am definitely a sauna type.

And in re: hot tubs, the only real hot tub is a wood-fired hot tub, because those new-fangled electronic ones never get hot enough. I like hot tubs so hot that when someone else gets in, you want to murder them for disturbing the water and creating painful ripples of heat. Who wants a hot tub with a stinking heat regulator?

By TBone on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 06:23 pm:

I'd be glad to fix any accounts in the Gallery of Doom. Let me know if you can't get in.

To add stuff, there's a list of commands on the left hand side. "Add Items" and "Add Album" are good starts.

Flickr works too, and is probably superior. I use it myself: http://www.flickr.com/photos/trebonius/

By moonit on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 10:59 pm:

I can never get it. I'm hopeless.

By Danielssss on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 03:33 pm:

You can cook in the sauna, make love in the sauna, exercise in the sauna, meditate in the sauna. What's not to like about sweat?

However, I am not sure Tbone what "activating my account" really means. See email elsewhere.

Can we impeach Bush now?

By heather on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 04:07 am:

twitter, too?

really, are you sure?

By Nate on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 12:28 pm:

why not?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact