I'm trying to learn Hebrew.

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: I'm trying to learn Hebrew.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Crawford on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 01:19 am:

I got some notes and workbooks from my Jewish neighbors. I have a feeling this will overtake Super Mario Bros as my summertime hobby.

By Gee on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 01:26 am:

that's fantastic! I have this friend from Isreal and whenever he talks to his folks on the phone I always listen to him speaking in Hebrew and I think it's fascinating. I don't know if I want to learn it or not. it sounds really impressive, but if I knew the language it wouldn't be fun for me to listen to him speak it anymore.

By Czarina on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 02:35 am:

Are you sure he's not talking about you?

By Kalliope on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 08:34 am:

I'll bet he is.

By Jay on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 08:44 am:

I had this friend of mine who married this rich filipino like twenty years older than him. he didn't really know a whole lot and played the dumb role pretty well. he did figure out the language though and sure as shit they would talk about him right in front of him. i don't think i could talk about someone right in front of them even if i was pretty sure they had no idea what i was saying.
    filipino women are a sketchy crew though.
    whats that word? Balloos.

By Dougie on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 11:44 am:

"Filipino women are a sketchy crew" WTF???

By Jay on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 12:03 pm:

yeah, they love sex and all but i found you can't really trust them. they'll love sex with someone else just as much.

By Kalli on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 12:25 pm:

this is just a phenomenom around filipino women?

i think someone's jaded.

By Jay on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 02:07 pm:

maybe.
    but they were always trying to get over on each other, sister, cousin, mom. taking each others jewelry and shit. shady bunch. believe you me.

By droop on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 03:14 pm:

the filipinas i know all seem nice. but you know how it is - you meet a few forners and you figger they's all lahk thet.

crawford - i'm going to tell you the same thing my best friend in high school told me that summer i planned to learn sanskrit...

you'll never get laid that way.

mazel tov.

By Isolde on Thursday, June 22, 2000 - 01:17 am:

I want to learn Arabic. Have I mentioned this? It's an obession. I don't want to learn Hebrew, but bonne chance!

By Gee on Thursday, June 22, 2000 - 01:57 am:

he could be talking about me, but I doubt it. I don't think his family's interested in me. they sound really nice (from what he's said), though.

he gets so animated when he's talking in hebrew. I guess that makes sense because it's his first language, but his english is perfect and I usually forget he only learned it a few years ago.

the thing I think is really interesting (I noticed this when Frank spoke to his mother in italian once too) is how they've got a whole streak of whatever language going on and then all of a sudden there's one word of english. Like "Blah blah blah potato blah blah." it's adorable!

By Inbox on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 11:26 pm:

jay, sorry you met the wrong filipina..
    but i think (likewise droop and kalli) this is not unique to them....

and gee, this english word sprouting in a language
    is geeting kind of universal..thanks, bye, hi, hello, shit fuck and damn have almost a universal
    understanding..(especially the expletives)

love foreign languages myself....
    maybe we could do translations??
    like for thank you in diff. languages:
    i invite corrections additions

(molto)grazie - thank you very much italian

arigato goziemashita - very formal japanese thank you, domo is informal

merci(beaucoup)- thank you (very much); french

(muchas)gracias - spanish

to sia dee - cantonese
    (as spoken)

shie shie knee - mandarin
    (as spoken)

salamat - filipino

By Jay on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 08:17 am:

i had to wait in a long line yesterday and a filipino trio of older ladies was behind me. i thought my fucking head was going to explode. this one lady talked non stop. she would be talking in her language and then bust a word or two of english. which is irritating. especially the word "thousand". i never liked the way filipino people pronounced it. with a really strong empasis on the -and part. that and apartment. i know i probably had a bad experience with my filipina ex-girlfriend, but after hearing that lady ramble yesterday, i don't miss that language.

By Dougie on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 08:27 am:

I heard French this morning on the radio, it was RFI (Radio France International). Hadn't heard it in a while, and never know when it comes on, sometimes just changing the dial I'll happen upon it. Just a news broadcast, but it reminded me of what a beautiful language it is and how much I miss hearing it every day.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 10:57 am:

I think it's "molte grazie" in Italian. I hope it is. I've lost most of my Italian. I picked up an "Oggi" magazine the other day and read an article out loud, and my accent is so bad! Then, I tried to have a conversation with my mother, and my vocabulary has dwindled to almost nothing. I can't remember any of my verb tenses. This sucks. 6 years of study down the drain.

By Isolde on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 05:28 pm:

Yeah, you really have to keep languages up in order to speak them well. J'adore le francais. I read a lot of French websites and listen to news in French to keep up my skills. But I'm still going downhill.

By Inbox on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 03:57 am:

same here isolde et doug.
    my french going below sea level..tres mal!

think you have to be in a culture that will force you to speak it ...knowledge and parents/friends speaking it are not enough

By J on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 10:24 am:

I couldn't speak french to save my life.

By NZA on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 03:30 pm:

We had a suitcase stolen off the TGV between Milan and Paris. The Italian guards hardly spoke any English, and I hardly speak any Italian, especially when I'm upset! All they would say is "Milano police" We wanted to know if they had contacted the police or if we had to do that, but the more upset we got, the less English they would speak. They wouldn't even ask any other train staff or passengers to translate for us. Bastards. I think they just wanted to finish their shift and go home.

The French guards were much nicer. They couldn't do anything, but at least they sat down and explained that to us, and told us what to do about getting a police report in Paris.

The police report was interesting. We had two very nice SNCF policemen, one who officially spoke English, and one who didn't. Funny thing was, the one who didn't speak English understood more than the one who did! My French is appalling, and stress and tiredness (it was about midnight and we'd been travelling all day) only made it worse.

To top it off, once we'd made the report and got a taxi, the driver gave me a bloody french test -
    "Parlez-vous francais"
    "un peu"
    then he'd say something else I couldn't understand
    "je ne comprend pas"
    He spent about half an hour driving in circles trying to find our hotel, then wouldn't cut the fare. 70 francs for what should have been a ten minute trip.

I guess I can't speak anything other than English to save my life.

By Isolde on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 05:06 pm:

Speaking in a language to someone who's been speaking it longer than you is very trying. They talk fast and use big words.
    And I'm having a really shitty day, so I'm not even going to bother finishing whatever train of thought that was.

By Bob on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:42 pm:

Jewish men love getting laid

By Johnny on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:43 pm:

Where in Isreal can I get sucked off

By Antigone on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:09 pm:

Why are you asking yourself a question?

What is the sound of one nut slapping?

By Antigone on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:11 pm:

Anyway, why do you care about Isreal? You're in Toronto.

By Gee on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:31 am:

ya manyak!

By V.v. on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 01:02 pm:

A sheynem dank...mazel tov.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact