I got to meet Lou Barlow.

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: I got to meet Lou Barlow.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Crawford on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 08:04 pm:

Every Tuesday I go up to the USC radio station because I have a friend that dj's there. When I got there, he told me that Lou Barlow was making an in-studio appearance.
    Lou Barlow!
    At first I didn't believe him.
    But, at 4:30, like he said, there stood Lou with an acoustic guitar. He played a few songs and answered a question of mine. I had always wanted to know where Sebadoh (one of his many bands) got their name. He told me that it was just something he made up in high school. Before he started playing, he put a piece of paper between his feet. After he left, I went to see what it was. It had what appeared to be gibberish on it. The side facing up said:

streets
    make
    untie the bells
    get in
    another
    we're gonna
    had enuff
    call me lame
    gotta way
    homeo
    tongue , enuff

the other side was written in pencil, and the sharpie from the other side kinda bled through, so not all of it is legible, but, after minutes of analysis, I deciphered it.

imaginary lawyers
    serve your memory
    winter burned my cold [this line is crossed out.]
    crystal burned me cold
    facial tics and brickk
    to build a wall between
    you + everything we can't control
    we re-enact the legendary tragedies
    i could wear the mask
    if you ask nice
    I may be a voyeur
    you're not royalty

that is some weird stuff.

By Gee on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 11:02 pm:

who?

By Crawford on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 12:28 am:

Lou Barlow.
    Lou Barlow of Dinosaur Jr., Sebadoh, Sentridoh, Folk Implosion and Deluxx Folk Implosion. One of the kings of indie rock.
    Let's see. Back in, oh, say, 1996 or 1995, Folk Implosion had a moderate radio hit off of the KIDS soundtrack, "Natural One." It wasn't really representative of their sound, but the corporate rock kids ate it up and then promptly forgot about them.
    But Lou and his numerous side projects continue to release records.

The funny-sad thing about all that was that the guy who was supposed to follow my friend after his shift ended was out of town. So my friend had to pull in another three hours. But: the guy who never showed up is a humongous fan of all of Barlow's work. Like Mondo Big Fan. He didn't know that Lou Barlow was coming to his show.
    Such are the twists and turns of Fate.

By Orson Wells on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 01:01 am:

Wow. Was that like four whole years ago? Was that like when Abe Lincoln was around?

By Jay on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 08:10 am:

abe lincoln had a beard.
    nothings gonna stop the flow.

By Czarina on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 09:58 am:

Everyone knows,that was a disguise.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 10:51 am:

Hey, I saw Lou Barlow! It was supposed to be a Folk Implosion concert, but only Lou showed up. It was really good....his voice is much better (very pretty) in person than it is on the recordings. He made every song sound sad and wistful, which would normally make me sick, but he did it really well. His acoustic version of "No Need to Worry" off the latest FI album was gorgeous.

Yay, Crawford! I'm glad he answered your question.

By Jay on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 12:26 pm:

i bet abraham lincoln would've really dug sebadoh.

By Margret on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 12:34 pm:

I have always been weak for Sebadoh's cover of "Everybody's Been Burned," written by David Crosby.

Everybody has been burned before
    Everybody knows the pain
    Anyone in this place can tell you to your face
    Why you shouldn't love someone

Everybody knows it never works
    Everybody knows and reads
    I know that door that shuts just before
    You get to the dream you see

I know all too well how to turn, how to run
    How to hide behind a bitter wall of blue
    But you die inside if you choose to hide
    So I guess instead I'll love you

By Crawford on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 12:58 pm:

Hey, I'm listening to the very cd which contains that song.
    i really hope he didn't need that piece of paper for his concert last night.

By Jay on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 02:50 pm:

if he did would you love him less?
    tell me, tell me it isn't so. you fall in love with the artist and not the man and when the artist dies the man is left alone. unloved. forgotten. a cigarette butt tossed out the window late at night on a desert highway. an ant crushed by the boot of expectations.
    cruel. cruel. cruel. creul. crul. crule. krull.
    ever see that movie Krull. wasn't sting in that shit? i only remember the video game.

By Wendy on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 04:41 pm:

you stole lou barlow's set list?!

By semillama on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 06:53 pm:

Sting wasn't in Krull - you're thinking of Dune.

Krull was pretty awesome though. Apparantly the soundtrack is something of a collector's item - i believe my brother told me it was that one guy who composed the music for Braveheart and Titanic, it was his very first movie score.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 07:12 pm:

i saw sebadoh open for the flaming lips.......

zzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzz

By Jay on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 09:39 pm:

if you're nervous use a payphone.
    i saw the flaming lips open for......somebody.
    guess it wasn't that good of a show.

By Jake on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 10:32 pm:

lou barlow is a whining pansy jerkoff

By Kalliope on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 11:21 pm:

jerkoff

i like that word.

it's like "cellar door"

it rolls

By dave. on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 11:49 pm:

i hate lou barlow. i know, i say "i hate . . .whatever" a lot. i recently said i hate fu manchu. now, i totally rock to fu manchu. this sort of thing happens to me all the time.

fu manchu rock. fu manchu also rolls well. rolls good. yup.

lou barlow rolls but does not rock.

is there a difference between butt rock and cock rock? meathead or bonehead?

By Gee on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 02:22 am:

once again Dave. has saved the day.

By dave. on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 09:32 am:

right. and the check's in the mail.

By Jay on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 10:18 am:

i really like fu manchu. i've been told my voice sounds just like the guy from fu manchu. which isn't really saying much. they can still get a groove on though.
    how bout that for rock video music fans.

By patrick on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 12:01 pm:

fu manchu make me laugh, plus they have a really kickin album cover, the one with that 70s skateboard guy railing the pool.

butt rock, i equate to the likes of Michael Bolton or Enrique Eglasias as in he seems like the type to take it up the butt

whereas

cock rock, i equate to the likes of Ratt, Guns & Roses, (searching for contemporary comparisons), LA Guns, as these seem like the type to give it up the butt

By Crawford on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 12:44 pm:

When Lou was in the studio he played a cover of a Ratt song. "Round and Round," I believe it was called.

By Nate on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 12:51 pm:

i had the Ratt tape that that song was on. i got it in 5th grade.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 01:53 pm:

Mr. Barlow played Foreigner's "Cold as Ice" for us. It was pretty.

By Crawford on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 04:44 pm:

He played "Cold as Ice" in the studio too. It was part of a deal wherein he would play the first part of a song, then the first caller with the correct title and artist for the song would win two free passes to the show.

By Isolde on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 05:40 pm:

I don't know who lou barlow is, so I'm going to tell a totally unrelated story:
    Last night, I was hanging out at a friend's house in FB getting kind of drunk. Someone said that you can call Elk (A neighboring town that's far away enough that from FB, it's a toll call) for free from any payphone. I didn't believe them, so I ran out of the house and found a payphone. I'll be fucked. It works. I left a random message on some woman's answering machine. It was awesome. Now, can someone tell me how this would work? You don't have to put any money in the payphone--you can just dial any number with the Elk prefix. Very odd.

By Jake on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 09:05 pm:

excellent story, Isolde. thank you. i don't know you so i don't know: where is "fb"? can you call "fb" for free too (i guess not)?

By Jay on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 08:12 am:

FB? gotta be fairbanks. especially with a neighboring town called Elk.
    shit probably works a lot different in alaska.

By Nate on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 09:41 am:

it's northern california. far north.

By Isolde on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 11:29 am:

Fort Bragg. Sorry. We all call it FB so I get used to abbreviating it. Elk used to be Greenwood, but another Greenwood appeared and the post office got royally confused so they changed the name--called the town after an animal that hasn't been seen there in about thirty years. We see Elk in Fort Bragg, though. Go figure.
    Our working theory on the payphone thing was this: the Elk prefix is 877, and 877 is a new toll-free prefix, so perhaps the phone is fooled. However, consultation with residents of Elk indicated that this has worked for longer than 877 has been a prefix. Hm. Curioser and curioser, said Alice.
    Now I'm all gung-ho about trying to get free calls. Ad I have a big mark on my arm where my TB test is. Does this mean I have TB, or does it always look like this?

By Jay on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 11:44 am:

i almost said fairbanks OR Fort Bragg. those were tho only two FB's i could think of. guess i should've known with the "getting drunk" clue. although in fairbanks that wouldn't be that unusual either.
    is curioser a word?

By Isolde on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 12:00 pm:

It is now.
    Fort Bragg, CA, not to be confused with Fort Bragg, South Carolina. Or is it North? I think there's one in Maine, too. A Fort Bragg, I mean, not a Carolina.

By patrick on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 12:35 pm:

thats North Carolina...wife is from there, sicko nazi crackhead town, 81st airborn.....the meanest, most amoral grunts in america...there is a reason they are first to go. I tend to call it Fayette-nam........scary fucking town....pffffft to think the parental in-laws expected us to get married there.........

By Rhiannon on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 01:30 pm:

My uncle was stationed at Fort Bragg during the Vietnam War (he didn't get sent over because he has severe asthma). He said he helped put together napalm bombs.

He also said that as a punishment for sticking his finger in the hot fudge sauce while on kitchen duty one day, he had to eat the whole tub. Only he didn't, of course, because he got sick about 1/8 of the way through.

More about me and my kinfolk that you didn't need to know.

By Jay on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 01:48 pm:

jed move away from there...

By Zephyr on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 04:36 pm:

I live in Main Carolina.

Oh.
    Wait. No I don't.

By cyst on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 05:27 am:

I'm all drunk. I met mark lanegan and mark arm tonight, finally. I like seattle. I love portland, but seattle's just fine.

By Spider on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 10:57 am:

What were they like?

By dave. on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 01:39 pm:

are they still junkies?

By Jay on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 02:56 pm:

you did not meet mark arm! i'd give my left nut just to see mudhoney in concert much less meet mark arm in person. holy fuck.
    did he ask about me?

By cyst on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 04:52 pm:

I didn't get to hang out with them or anything, I just met them briefly. but I'll drag out the non-story into something long and especially boring.

I wanted to go to the mark lanegan show with agatha, but apparently she couldn't go, so I went with steve fisk instead. we were in a band together a long time ago, and I saw him at lunch my second day at my new job here in seattle. we talked for a long time in the men's pants section of the downtown banana republic.

last night I got home and drank the rest of the red wine I'd opened a couple nights earlier, the night I showed a friend my new nightgown and we ended up making out to pavement's "wowee zowee" on the low-pile hotel-style carpet.

then I went out to sushi with rich guy and got drunker on $12-a-glass sake.

then I came back home to get my ticket. I thought I'd be heading to the show alone, where I'd see steve and hang out with him.

but as I walked in the door, the phone was ringing. apparently steve left during 764-hero to come see if I was around. he was at the concierge desk. I had them let him up to the dot-com's temp condo, where we sat on the couch on the balcony and watched the ferries and drank beer and talked about old times.

then we went to the show. mark hadn't started playing.

"you know, I've always wanted to meet him," I said. we'd once gone to a screaming trees show together, after "uncle anesthesia" came out, and I was too shy to insist that he let me come with him when he went to the bar to go hang out with the guys. I'd worn nice black underwear that day, just in case I got to meet mark lanegan. but I'd met up with another friend at that show, and I stayed with him instead.

"he has to be in a good mood. or you don't want to be anywhere near him," he said.

"maybe he'll be in a good mood."

mark played. with some guy from ministry and some guy from soundgarden. and he was great. I knew he wasn't always great when he played with the trees, and I was afraid he might sound bad tonight. but his voice was on, always. the showbox was full, and everyone loved him. I hadn't done my homework and I didn't know most of the songs. he played "mockingbirds," which I love, and he improved on some other song that had been on the second solo album.

steve and I had talked about that album. it had no coherency. when mark played that song -- I think it's the first song on the album, I got excited and told him, "listen to what the album could have sounded like!"

then I told him that mark's leadbelly cover was better than nirvana's.

"no that nirvana's wasn't great," we were both quick to say.

"mark's version sort of informed nirvana's," steve said.

"yeah. it sounded like they were playing his song, not leadbelly's. like with the cover of the vaselines cover. they did them both well."

we had more dumb little drunken happy rock conversations about all the old grunge heroes.

mark left and came back and played another song. then he left again and they turned the lights on.

"that can't be all. he has to come back. he has to."

I started getting scared, but then he came back and I heard those deep, foreboding opening bass notes to "where did you sleep last night." he played it. we were all enchanted, like we were in a fairy tale, not the happy-ending part but the scary part where red riding hood is in the woods with the wolf or when hansel is locked in the oven and sticks out an old bone and pretends it's his finger.

then he really left. he had to be happy, I thought. he was totally triumphant.

steve started talking to some other dark-haired woman, and then introduced me to her. mark lanegan's sister.

"let's go say hi," I said.

"ok," he said.

we headed for backstage, and I was drunk, and I asked, "is that mark arm?"

duh. of course it was mark arm. that nose. he was standing right there. he was really cute, those huge blue eyes with pretty hair falling over them. I'd forgotten that they would know each other.

mark arm talked to steve but looked at me. oh yeah, I thought, I'm a babe tonight. some random girls had asked me about my shirt in the bathroom. I bought it from the designer in portland, and it was really cute. the girls said what the designer had said about it, "it looks like it was made for you." I'd been propositioned by three guys since I'd put it on at 7 p.m.

mark arm, who seemed very sober and healthy, was with a guy with an australian accent. "that must be that guy in blood loss," I thought. we all chatted for just a minute about how great lanegan had been.

I later told steve about how the first time I ever drank a beer at a show was when I'd been underage and was smuggled into this private thing where hammerbox had played, this was in 1990 or 1991, and I stood next to mark arm, and I drank the beer even though I hated beer and was still secretly into wine coolers, and I kept thinking, "I AM AT A PRIVATE SHOW, I AM DRINKING A BEER, AND I AM STANDING NEXT TO MARK ARM!!!"

now that I'm back in seattle, it's like I'm reliving all this old shit, but doing it better. now I'm actually talking to mark arm and he's totally checking me out. this is cool.

then we sort of got shuffled on back, and we got pushed to the front of lanegan's receiving line. I looked at the other fawning admirers. lots of hip, carefully dressed chicks who weren't terribly pretty. I'm just as tall as mark lanegan, and oh my god, he looks so good all cropped and sober. no drugs or booze for two years, I had been told. I believed it. he didn't look red and puffy, like he had in some photos I'd seen of him from a couple years back. now just cigarettes. he was lean and fine. he was in a good mood. he laughed with steve and asked about a few old friends. I would have loved to have basked in his presence for hours (he was my very favorite rock star for so long, and I was wearing nice underwear this night too), but he had all those other nice people to chat with too.

By Jay on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 08:18 pm:

wow. thats fucking awesome. i felt like i was there with you. i could almost feel the black underwear.
    have you ever heard monkeywrench? it's an album mark arm, steve turner, tim kerr and some other seattleites put out back in the day. it rules.

By dave. on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 09:10 pm:

i'm glad lanegan's doing better. anyone wanna place bets that he loses a lung before he hits 45?

By dave. on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 10:30 pm:

i like his new stuff with queens of the stone age.

By cyst on Sunday, July 2, 2000 - 04:02 am:

I used to like that monkeywrench album. I haven't listened to it in a long time.

By dave. on Sunday, July 2, 2000 - 02:19 pm:

i never saw mr epp, i was just too young for that shit but i've never really been a fan of mark arm except for superfuzz bigmuff. green river was boring. post-superfuzz mudhoney was basically boring and the monkeywrench is also boring. the thrown-ups were entertaining but they sucked (on purpose). i think mark arm is seattle's calvin johnson or calvin is olympia's mark arm. either way. i'm sure every town has their local hero. they can put their name on pretty much anything and people will be interested even though it's not necessarily interesting.

but, since you have a crush on him now, you should locate a copy of monkeywrench and listen to it. imagine mark singing to you with that wry, impish, leering grin and contemplate the underwear you'll wear at your next encounter.

By dave. on Sunday, July 2, 2000 - 09:50 pm:

maybe i was out of line with that last bit. upon re-reading, it sounds more caustic than i had intended it to. i hope no one takes my bitchiness too seriously anymore.

By cyst on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 12:39 am:

I don't really have a crush on mark arm. mark lanegan, yes. I just thought that mark arm was sort of cute -- I'd never thought so before. but I was very excited to drink my first show beer while standing next to him. I was 19 and easily impressed.

but the only small-time celeb I've worn cute underwear for is mark lanegan. when I lived in that closet in the u-district, I'd get drunk at night to invisible lantern and wake up to the winding sheet. he's so tall and skinny and had such beautiful long hair and such pretty eyes, and, my god, that voice.

I already have the monkeywrench cd. the only mudhoney I've ever liked is that superfuzz bigmuff + early singles cd.

recently bought my first beat happening album. black candy. used, $8. I used to think calvin johnson was really gross -- I was offended by the way he moved his hips onstage and would then hit on my bashful friend christine after their sets.

now I'm not offended by anything. but if you feel bad, dave, then just call me a cave bitch (no one ever has!) and that will make everything even better.

By dave. on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 01:46 am:

better than what? cave bitch is swine's thing. i'll have my people talk to his people. we'll see what we can come up with. we'll see if you can put cave bitch on your business card. hey, you earned it.

By Jay on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 07:18 am:

isn't cave bitch a seattle band?

By cyst on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 11:15 am:

even better than they already are.

By dave. on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 12:18 pm:

they who?

By cyst on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 10:40 pm:

oh. things!

By dave. on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 11:45 pm:

oh.

cyst, you just used an exclamation mark.

life is good?

By cyst on Tuesday, July 4, 2000 - 06:32 pm:

I am really happy.

I went to ikea for the first time today. I think I bought four lamps.

I have a real job and I'm meeting new people.

if only I weren't impossibly in love and didn't have these two huge zits on my face. but still.

By semillama on Wednesday, July 5, 2000 - 06:13 pm:

I didn't go to any shows while I was in Portland. Typically, my stay was bookend by two groups/artists I have never seen but want to -Yo La Tengo and Meg Lee Chin. Wo do i get here? Fucking Styx and Korn.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 5, 2000 - 07:29 pm:

yo la tango are ok live

i dig the music but they are kinda dull

By Jay on Thursday, July 6, 2000 - 07:44 am:

unlike man or astroman.

By patrick on Thursday, July 6, 2000 - 11:52 am:

correct

even better, a side project of man or astroman called servotron. THATS a fucking show!

By Spider on Friday, October 9, 2009 - 04:26 pm:

Mark Lanegan -- great musician, or greatest musician alive today? His voice, oh Lord. He sounds like a Horseman of the Apocalypse, any one of them. Thank you, Dave, wherever you are, for suggesting I listen to him all those years ago.

Has he ever done anything wrong, musically speaking? Everything he sings is gold.

These are my favorite songs of his:

One Hundred Days
    Wedding Dress ("The end could be soon, you'd better get a room, so you can love me" slays me in my seat)
    Museum
    Kingdoms of Rain
    Resurrection Song
    Live With Me (cover of the Massive Attack song -- his voice is perfect)
    Strange Religion
    We Have Met Before

Cyst's tale of when she met him was woefully short on the details, but this is great:
    "he has to be in a good mood. or you don't want to be anywhere near him," he said.

By Spider on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 01:45 pm:

Also (from a 2008 Magnet article):
    Says Homme, He is, and I say this lovingly, the meanest nice guy I know.
    That's how I saw Dave.

By Spider on Monday, May 14, 2012 - 03:04 pm:

I saw Mark Lanegan on Saturday night and I was happy. He played 3 of the 8 favorite songs I listed two posts up three years ago, plus my absolute favorite song that I didn't include in that list probably because I hadn't yet heard it: a cover of the Leaving Trains' "Creeping Coastline of Lights". I recorded this song with my cheap camera, so please excuse the almost total lack of picture: linky Also, the beginning of the song is cut off because the camera would not cooperate.

I recorded six other songs and put them on Youtube; you might be able to see them in the related video bar.

Most of the set was music from his latest album, which I found sadly lackluster. The reassuring thing about him, though, is that he's been making music for almost 30 years and he constantly plays with all kinds of people, so there's no reason to worry that the well has run dry. He's like Tom Waits that way -- a lifetime of consistently interesting creative output and a demonstrated openness to learning new ways of making music.

Also, his voice is amazing. Not just the tone, which is...what it is, but the fact that he's always on key. That's good on its own and it's wonderful when he plays with terrible singers like Greg Dulli. (Whom I love and the guy can write some great music but, holy smokes, his voice just gets more and more terrible as the years go by.)

He ended with "Harborview Hospital" (my favorite song off the latest album) and "Methamphetamine Blues". Some other dude at the show that night recorded "Harborview Hospital" on a much better camera than mine -- you can hear it (and see the stage!) here.

Many years ago, Dave recommended that I give Mark Lanegan a listen -- if it weren't for him, I wouldn't have had these years of enjoyment and this night of happiness, so thanks, Dave.

By droopy on Monday, May 14, 2012 - 06:02 pm:

i was in austin the last 4 or 5 days. i stayed at
    the old farmhouse with my sister's family. my 4
    year-old niece, who can work my ipad as well as i
    can, discovered an old clip of my cousin and me
    playing bob dylan's "you ain't goin' nowhere"
    together. my cousin - sally - is singing. my niece
    would sneak my ipad off and play it over and over.
    before i left, she had me play it for her one last
    time. she watched it with serious concentration
    and tried to sing along. it was all nonsense
    words, but they actually went with the music.
    there is hope yet.

dave tried to turn me on to mark lanegan, too. but
    i never got to to like him. if i were to be
    truthful, i don't think i have good taste in
    music.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 04:41 pm:

Do you sincerely believe that? :)

By droopy on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 03:37 am:

i can't tell, anymore.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 12:03 pm:

Measuring taste is a meaningless activity, isn't it? So many people conflate "I like this" and "this is good", and the reverse. And "you don't like what I like" and "you have bad taste."

I sometimes feel like my taste has stagnated because I don't like much of what is new. I just listen to the same musicians I have for years, or when I do decide to listen to somebody new, it's somebody new-to-me but long since retired.

Are you in that boat?

By droopy on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 02:11 am:

i think "taste" is purely subjective and not based
    on some cosmic measuring stick. these days, i feel
    it pointless to argue about which music is the
    best. i think one reason i like jazz so much these
    days is that there're no words, just sound.

graham greene and other people have pointed out
    that, at a certain age, you stop looking at the
    arts for answers and start looking at them for
    confirmation. ya know? i'm very tired as i write
    this. i mean that sense of finding something new
    stops.

i think that, these days, i actually spend more
    time playing music - on a ukulele or whatever -
    than listening to recordings. if i listen to
    singers, it's only to find songs to sing myself.
    my dream is one day to end up in a quonset hut out
    in the hills playing music and drinking tequila
    till i die.

today i was on youtube to find a clip of bascom
    lamar lunsford doing "i wish i was a mole in the
    ground" (1928). i did, and a cover by a deutsche
    eletectronika band. it was nifty.

By Spider on Friday, May 18, 2012 - 10:25 pm:

By droopy on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 01:35 am:

about an hour and a half ago (at 10pm my time), i
    played that mark lanegan song from the may 18
    link. it was good, i guess, but i'm still not won
    over. maybe i'm just a bastard. anyway. it made me
    want to listen to townes van zandt: so i found a
    clip of him doing "flyin' shoes" live. looking
    every bit like the cowboy junky he was. halfway
    through the song, there was was a "thump thump
    thump" on my wall from the adjacent apartment. a
    young woman, a stewardess, lives there. she has
    already complained about me playing loud music
    once before. in all the twelve years i've lived
    here, only she seems to have heard anything. as if
    she waits by the wall with her ear in a glass
    waiting for any sound. but this time it was 10pm,
    and it was a quiet ass country song by one guy on
    an acoustic guitar. i don't know how she could
    have heard it. i guess i'll have to wait to see if
    the landlord calls me again.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 12:26 am:

Hi droopy, it is good to hear it from you again. Quite frankly, I don't think your landlord going to call you, we all knows that they aren't doing anything anymore.

By droopy on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 01:55 am:

hi, doc. you're right, nobody called. either i'm
    paranoid or i've just been quiet.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 12:14 am:

LOL, that is what I thought about from times to times. Let's hope this incident never happened...but small thing is not a big deal anyway. :-)

By droopy on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 12:31 am:

my mother bought herself a cd player last week.
    for the past couple of years, she has only been
    able to listen to music in her car. this morning
    she drove out to dallas to attend her son-in-law's
    father's funeral. when she got back to fort worth,
    she was crossing a major street when some guy in
    an suv slammed into her. luckily, it was on the
    passenger side front wheel and she wasn't injured.
    just shaken up. but she's 70 and i've been in
    lesser collisions where my neck and shoulders
    ached for a week. i'll check on her tomorrow and
    maybe bring her a coleman hawkins cd. or jimmy
    reed.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact