What is the right way?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: What is the right way?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Zephyr on Thursday, July 13, 2000 - 11:36 am:

Is there a right way to live? Can one establish themselves in all situations? never mind. I don't know how to express this right. Does one have any control over who they are? The development of ones self is ENTIRELY dependent on environment, at least, early on, which leads to affecting how one develops and acts and thinks later.

I went walking earlier last night with a friend that I haven't seen since school got out...almost a month now. When we were heading back, I ran into my friend Rich's mom. Rich and I are pretty good friends, but what makes it weird is his EverQuest addiction...so that's all he ever does...that and working, and kung fu. Also...I have had the biggest crush on him for years. Anyway...I practically ignored my friend when I was talking to Rich's mom...and I kinda knew that made her (my firend) uncomfortable...and then she had to go home, but I ended up staying and just talking to Rich's mom for like another half-hour.

It was a really good talk...she's like a mom to me...more like a mom than mine. I'd actually give her a hug or something on mothers day (not something I would do for my genetic mother). Yeah.
    She's also one of the coolest moms I've ever met: shes insanely open about anything, she LIKES METAL (!), she lets Rich and I get away with murder, etc. Oh, yeah, and she takes me and Rich and varying other people rock climbing, hiking, backpacking, and more. I love doing that kind of stuff, and I just generally feel closer to her than I do to either my mom or dad. ha.

I know some other people that have taken/been taken in by their friends parents...in the way that the person "adopts" the parents...or vice versa.

This had no point.

By moonit on Thursday, July 13, 2000 - 11:12 pm:

My friends all call my mum mum, I call Jules mum my other mother and mum when I'm at her place.

everybody loves my mum. shes like eddie from ab fab but not as mental.

well most of the time anyway.

By semillama on Sunday, October 1, 2000 - 03:46 pm:

thread seems like an appropriate title for this:
    Robert Anton Wilson's Thought for the Week

23 Artemis, 79 p.s.U.

I regard "ideology" and "morality" as the two most dangerous forces on this planet. About "ideology" I have expressed my suspicions elsewhere; here I will only mention John Adams's verdict that shortening "ideology" to "idiocy" would save some space and add a great deal to clarity. He had the French Revolution in mind, but "ideologists" haven't changed much since then, have they?

As for "morality" -- or "moralic acid" as Nietzsche called it -- I consider it the major cause of almost all the major atrocities not caused by "ideology." This wonderful invention, "morality," allows people -- normal, ordinary people -- to do things so cruel and violent that they could never bring themselves to do them for selfish reasons.
    What the sociopath and sadist do for fun, the "moralist" does on behalf of "duty" or "justice."

"Morality," today, allows Moslems to stone women to death, as it once fueled the Christian witch-hunts. "Morality" has excused every war, and glorified some of them. "Morality" constantly plots to subvert the Constitutional guarantee of free speech. "Morality" inspires gay-bashing and the bombing of women's clinics. Why, without "morality" we might all suddenly go stark staring sane.

My vision of Utopia would include a hell of a lot more kindness and mercy than we have now, and a hell of a lot less "morality.'

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact