A NEW PHRASE THAT DRIVES ME UP THE WALL

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: A NEW PHRASE THAT DRIVES ME UP THE WALL
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Trace on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 11:01 am:

"I'm All About..."
    there is this woman that says that all the time
    "i'm all about getting free stuff..
    I'm all about lunch. I'm all about getting out of here"
    UGH!

By Jay on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 01:31 pm:

This guy i know says "what the fuck, over?" all the time and i hate it. like whats that supposed to mean? to make fun of him we say "over" after anything. "what time's that movie start, over?"
    I used to want to strangle people when that phrase "You go girl!" was popular.

By Trace on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 01:33 pm:

Uh Hu, I heard that....
    Of course that is....gawd

By Nate on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 04:10 pm:

i'm all about fuck you, you ass.

By Trace on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 04:18 pm:

Nate,
    That's not nice

By Zephyr on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 04:20 pm:

ahh...nothing like Nate to freshen up your day!

By semillama on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 04:24 pm:

A new catchphrase was spawned by members of my crew today, while working in the hot sun.

"...hheyyyy..."

said in a sort of exhausted lilt, like that one Phish song on the second disc of their first album, where Fishman plays the vacuum, whatever it's called.

now it's stuck in my head.

By Tired on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 05:18 pm:

Trace - that's so 3 years ago. Be thankful that it's not just catching on.

By Trace on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 05:26 pm:

Like, which one is so three years ago?
    fer shure

By moonit on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 06:28 pm:

dude

everytime someone says for sure it reminds me of that girl in the band on the muppets. with the long blonde hair. I dont think she was called floyd but someone in the band was?

I bet Gee knows.

By moonit on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 06:28 pm:

she wasnt a real girl, I meant a girl muppet. thing.

what-ever.

By Trace on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 06:33 pm:

LOL
    Yes, I know who you are talking about, but I never did know what her name was.
    I Loved the muppets when I was a kid
    Animal, Animal, Animal

By Isolde on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 06:48 pm:

Whatever, dude. I'm all about catchphrases.
    Except people keep stealing them or writing songs that incorporate them, so I have to abandon them. What _am_ I going to do?

By Trace on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 06:58 pm:

I have no clue

By JusMiceElf on Saturday, August 12, 2000 - 02:02 am:

That would be Janis. Floyd was one of the guys. And Zoot was the saxaphone player. He once said to a singer: "Maaaannnn, you're so good, you should'da been born a saxaphone!"

By dave. on Saturday, August 12, 2000 - 03:28 am:

my bad.

i fucking cringe when i hear that.

By Antithesis on Saturday, August 12, 2000 - 05:51 am:

heh... We am, is, and will be Doctor Teeth and the Electric Mayhem... heh heh heh. I'm Doctor Teeth... golden teeth and golden tones. That's animal. Show'em what you do, Animal!

A: *munching cymbals* EAT DRUMS!! EAT DRUMS!!

Dr.T: No! No, man! Beat Drums! BEAT DRUMS!

A: Oh. *starts to play* BEAT DRUMS!! BEAT DRUMS!!

By Trace on Sunday, August 13, 2000 - 12:22 am:

Animal! Animal! Animal

By Gee on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 11:33 am:

I hate it when people say "Come with." as in "Why don't you come with?" or "Can I come with?" What the heck is so hard about saying the whole freaking sentance?? "Come with ME." is that So hard??

By Trace on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 11:35 am:

They are to lazy

By Jay on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 12:10 pm:

"cha-ching"
    "I don't even want to go there"
    "I know thats right"

JusMiceElf, it scares me how much you know about childrens programming. Do you remember the names of the pigs in space?

By Trace on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 12:50 pm:

"I heard that"

By Spider on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 01:08 pm:

I've never heard "I know that's right" used as a catch-phrase. What's its context?

I hate "_____ much?", like "jealous much?"

By Trace on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 01:18 pm:

I have heard that, like, way too much

By Crawford on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 01:40 pm:

"I know, right?"
    SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP .

I remember when the word "whatnot" was, to my knowledge, used only by quirky people. But then trendy rich white people started using it. Like my sister, for instance. She once used it in place of the word "what." My dad said something she didn't understand (happens all the time) and she said "Whatnot?" in that high-pitched tone of confusion.
    That, my friends, is just plain wrong.

By N.b. on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 01:41 pm:

"I know that's right" must be the Northern version of "You got that right"... ?

By Spider on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 01:51 pm:

Ohh. So you say it with the same inflection? ("I know *that's* right")

Crawford, that's really funny. I might have to start saying that myself.

By Mavis on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 02:35 pm:

'sup, brau?

AAAAAHAGAHGAHAG

By Dougie on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 02:38 pm:

"By the by" is fine for Brits; however, when Americans try to use it for "By the way," it sounds so affected.

By Jay on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 03:51 pm:

I live in a black part of town and went to the laundromat one day and these two very large bootied black ladies had a twenty minute conversation saying little more than "umm hmmmm" and "i know thats right" back and forth to each other. it was amazing.

By crimson on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 04:25 pm:

i've run into a few kids who use "fucky" as an adjective. it either means "weird" or is used somewhat disdainfully, usually about other people's clothes:

"ewwww...where did she get that fucky blouse? soooo tragically K-mart!"

fucky jewelry. fucky shoes. fucky hairdos. fucky little teenagers who use oddball phrases.

although i actually caught myself saying it recently. scary.

By Mavis on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 04:42 pm:

oh man i love when ladies say
    uhhhhh hmmmmm
    and i know that's right

it's so good!!!

By TBone on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 05:21 pm:

Here's one:

da bomb. As in, something is da bomb and therefore good.

What about the thousands of people who've protested "The bomb"? What would they think?

By dbone on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 06:41 pm:

they would probably want to get funked up.

welcome to station WEFUNK, better know as We Funk
    or deeper still, the mothership connection
    home of the extraterrestrial brothers
    dealers of funky music
    p. funk, uncut funk, THE BOMB

By Trace on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 06:43 pm:

I can't find any of that in my ebonics dictionary!

By JusMiceElf on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 11:47 pm:

Word to your mother!

Jay, if I thunk real hard, I could remember their names. I *do* remember such gems as Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, and some of the best Monsterpiece Theater eps on Sesame Street (Upstairs, Downstairs, Chariots of Fur, and, the best yet, The Seventh Seal).

By agatha on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 02:20 am:

pretty much any slang that was started by african americans and then adopted by the rest of the population sounds totally ridiculous. i like it when i hear certain black women talk, they have such a great rhythm and zest to their conversations. when white boys and girls adopt the slang, it just sounds so wrong. one of my favorites is, "why you be LOUDing me?"

By Jay on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 08:29 am:

Is Dyna Girl any relation to Dyno-Mutt? I had a dyno mutt lunchbox as a kid. he was that mechanical dog who could stretch out his neck and limbs really long. pretty much a dumbass though. hung out with his superhero-type owner. dyno-man maybe? the show was all about the dog cause he was always fucking shit up.
    "I'm fuddna' fall out! they must think it's a game out here! this ain't no game! think it's a game?"
    I remember this black girl in middle school saying "don't point at me, my momma ain't dead" whatever the fuck that means.

By Crawford on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 10:53 pm:

I think it means that her mother is still alive and, thusly, her mother is the only person with any authority to boss her around, or, as the case may be, point a finger at her.

By JusMiceElf on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 01:05 am:

No, Electa Woman and Dyna Girl was a Sid and Marty Krofft creation, circa mid 70s. Deirdre Hall played Electra Woman, a reporter/costumed crime fighter. I can still remember the theme song.

By Mr. poon on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 01:30 am:

MIND YOUR WRIGLEY"S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Jay on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 08:41 am:

why does sid and marty krofft ring a bell? HR puffnstuff?

By Dougie on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 09:53 am:

I never understood the phrase, "Catch as catch can." I mean, I know how it's used and what it's supposed to mean, but I don't like it. Also, when I was a kid, I thought the phrase "6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other" was "6 and 1/2 dozen or the other" and I was like, "Where the f did they get that one?" until I saw it in writing.

By J on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 10:18 am:

I hate it when I hear people say dude 3 times in one sentence,it just sounds lame.

By Jay on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 10:34 am:

or use dude and man as one word.

"dude-man, you've got serious B.O"

By dbone on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 10:53 am:

catch as catch can - get by *hook or by crook* all you can; a phrase from the child's game of this name, or from the method of wrestling so called in which the wrestlers are allowed to get a grip anyhow or anywhere.

- brewer's dictionary of phrase and fable

By Dougie on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 11:15 am:

Thanks dbone. You're a dude-mensch.

By Dougie on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 11:44 am:

My friend calls all his friends, "dudeface." I don't mind it. However, if I heard somebody other than him calling his friends that, I'd think him an asshole.

By TBone on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 11:45 am:

I like to say "dude-mar".

I think I heard it somewhere.

By Isolde on Thursday, August 17, 2000 - 12:23 pm:

like.
    I hate the word "like."

By No on Thursday, August 17, 2000 - 01:04 pm:

like, fur-sure!

By Dougie on Thursday, August 17, 2000 - 01:34 pm:

"What the dillio?"

By Trace on Thursday, August 17, 2000 - 03:50 pm:

PS

By Spider on Thursday, August 17, 2000 - 06:42 pm:

I use PS all the time. Bite me.

"Bite me" is a nice phrase. I like it.

I don't like "I was baggin' up!" or "________ big time!"

By Dougie on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 08:18 am:

That guy who does "Let's Get Ready to rrRUMBLE!" annoys the fuck out of me. Same with those "wwwhazzup?" guys.

By Jay on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 08:30 am:

I hate it when people imitate the Macho Man. "ohhhhh Yeaaaahh" and all that.
    As a kid i always hated it when dumbasses tried to imitate Howard Cossell.
    I really hate that Hot Pockets song/thing too.

By Dougie on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 09:19 am:

I love the phrase, "Damn their oily hides" or "Damn his oily hide." I say it a lot now. I have a really bad habit of saying "DOH!" a lot too, which I'm trying rid myself of. I guess I really should cut down on my Simpson's viewing.

By Trace on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 10:08 am:

I cannot stand the baby-back ribs commercials, or old navy

By Dougie on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 10:11 am:

Oh god, that crusty old Old Navy spokeswoman with those god-awful glasses -- I'd love to see her get put through a woodchipper.

By Jay on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 10:24 am:

what's the name of that dog that hangs out with the crusty old navy woman?

By Trace on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 10:33 am:

I don't know, but I bet she calls him master....

By Pezzy-poo on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 11:33 am:

at my old job, one of my coworkers used to hit on EVERYBODY. it wasn't funny either. he was only 16.

he's always be saying "it's all gravy" "it's all apples and oranges"

but that was before i found out the truth.

"pokemon! pokemon! pokemon! pokemon!"

"witch."

By Gee on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 12:45 am:

I used to really really like this guy who would say "It's all good." in this really smooth voice that gave me goosebumps. so now I really like it when I hear someone say that.

By Cat on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 05:40 am:

Significant other...it sounds so clinical and somehow pretentious. I like lover, beloved, my little pumpkin chops or even boyfriend/girlfriend or at a stretch, partner.

By J on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 11:59 am:

Yea,but if you don't like to type,s/o is easier.

By Isolde on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 01:08 pm:

Anti, how many times could I say "my little pumpkin chops" before you'd hit me?

By Cat on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 08:05 pm:

Isolde, I just got an email from Antithesis saying he wished like hell you would call him nothing but "my little pumpkin chops". But he was afraid to ask.

Oh and when pumpkin is out of season, you can substitue with other vegetables of your choice, but it's always best to go for something with a high carbo content in affectionate terms. Or at least, that's the rule I follow.

By Isolde on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 01:23 am:

WHAT?
    Wow. I'll have to start doing it.

By Antithesis on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 02:33 am:

Cat, Dear, that was supposed to be our little secret. You promised you wouldn't tell. OH! that devious cat! (the animal, actually, not the sorabjite. my damned feline just pressed my "insert" key quite deliberately, and half of my post disappeared. I think it's a cat conspiracy to get me in trouble.)

High carbo content.. hrm... So "my little pasta falzone" would work? hrm. This is NOT going to degenerate into a "terms of endearment" thread if I can help it, damnit. I hated that movie.

By Bell_jar on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 12:19 pm:

my little pumpkin chops...

how very funny...

my little pumpkin chops.

By Isolde on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 03:32 pm:

Anti, are you cheating on me and using the insert key as an excuse _again_? Jeeze la crowe.
    My cat was actually leaning on my touchpad having open season earlier today. It was an ugly scene.

By Anti-everyone now. on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 03:49 pm:

Jeeze la Crowe? What the fuck, over? I think I've just found one of my "pet peeve" phrases: any other phrase hideously mangled. geezely crow. I'm all about correct spelling, yo. wuzzup wit dat?

Your cat made an ugly scene? I'll bet. Hope you're all right, my little pumpkin chops. Ah, I'm sure it's all good...

THE VOICES! THE VOICES!!! DAMN Their oily hides!

By Isolde on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 05:25 pm:

Whatever. It took me long enough to get its origion out of ya, I oughta be able to spell it however I want to. Yeah. The thing about the cat is that he drools, too, so now there's a little puddle of drool on my leg.

By N.b. on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 07:26 pm:

oochie wa wa

By Jay on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 08:29 am:

I think the old navy dogs name is Magic.
    My new cat is an absolute freak. All he does all day is fuck with everything. i'm like, Fucking cat doesn't it ever get old, just constantly fucking with shit. i called him Hot Carl but i call him everything else through the course of the day. Boogerhead, dingleberry, dickshit, dickfuck, dumbass, shiteater, poopface, asslicker, fuckass, fuckhead, shitass, etc. He loves it though.

By Trace on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 08:42 am:

Sounds like you have issues with your cat

By Dougie on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 09:27 am:

No, sounds like he just got a new cat and is having fun with it.

By Tabitha on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 08:37 pm:

PUH-LEEZE!
    Thats the one that really shits me. I mean it's like saying that people should still use good manners. Well I just wasn't raised that way, and I'm totally hearing you on the whiteboys trying to use black slang, I mean like I'm a valley girl thru & thru and totally proud but some folks just try like way too hard. FYI those are some harsh words you're cat why don't you just call it pussy cause with a mouth like that that's as close as you're going to get to one!

By semillama on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 09:56 am:

Valley girls still exist???

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact