I am thinking about buying a new car

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: I am thinking about buying a new car
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Trace on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 05:27 pm:

I have total had it with my peice of shit car, and here is what I am considering buying:
    Kia Rio

By Dougie on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 05:44 pm:

No, fuck that. Buy a Ford Focus. I just bought one -- it's a small car that feels & drives like a big car. It's tall, so you sit up high, and the seat isn't a bucket, feels like you're sitting upright in a chair. Won the car of the year award too last year.

By Mr poon on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 02:34 am:

BI -- afford fuckass.

By Dougie on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 08:31 am:

Huh?

By Jay on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 10:55 am:

Buy a ford focus=bi afford fuckass, i think. witty.

By Dougie on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 11:10 am:

Oh yeah, thanks Jay. Extremely witty. I was thinking BI was an acronym.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 10:26 am:

i'd buy a 2 year old car as opposed to a new one. you'll skip the 14% instant depreciation. You can get a 1998 Honda civic with 22000 miles for about $12000. it will probably outlast a 2000 kia.

By Trace on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 12:42 pm:

You are probably right, I am considering a program vehicle now. My dream car, for now, is a Dodge Intrepid.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 12:45 pm:

you can get a 1998 dodge viper gts coupe with an 8.0l V10 for about $66K.

By patrick on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 01:00 pm:

my 97 honda civic is almost paid off, WAHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

By patrick on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 01:03 pm:

yeah dont buy a kia man, im always distrustful of new car manufacturers, as I witnessed my sister get burned on Hyundai when they first came out, what a piece of shit that was. And the Ford Focus? thats got to be the most moronic looking car, Im sorry domestic economy cars already have a crap track record, they have been struggling with ergonomics for a decade and they still seem to be out of the loop with that model. Honda, Toyota or Nissan, you cant go wrong, if you take care of them, they will take care of you.

By Trace on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 01:11 pm:

I had a Mazda 323, loved it, should have never traded it in. Guess what I traded it for? 91 Hyundai Excel. Stupid Stupid Stupid. What a piece of shit!

By Dougie on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 02:27 pm:

The Ford Focus is a hell of a lot more handsome than a 97 Civic, and ergonomically beats the crap out of it. Trace, if you do buy a used car, go to carfax.com before you lay the money down -- you can get a history of the prospective car if you have the VIN, and take it to a trusted mechanic to have it checked out.

By patrick on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 02:52 pm:

dougie are you on crack? i think the newer designed civics from 95 on are very nice looking, i have a coupe, aluminum wheels, power everything. its got the cvt transmission and gets kick ass mileage. i think its looks quite nice, sporty and the interior i think is quite ergonomic when you compare it to its american counterparts. I have driven a few domestic eco sedans and coupes over the last couple of years, usually rentals when out of town, the placement of the controls, the bulky, boxy feel, hell if i recall the Pontiac Sunbird or the Chevy Cavalier, you didnt even have direct eyesight of the speedometer, gas gauge, and rpm gauge... you had to adjust your head to catch a glimpse and if i recall the light and wiper controls are on the console as opposed to behind the wheel so that you can grab them without taking your hands off the steering wheel.

I firmly disagree, but alas this is my third Honda, so............

By agatha on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 03:01 pm:

we like our 1982 ford courier and our 1984 toyota corolla cheesecar plenty, thankyouverymuch.

By Trace on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 03:08 pm:

Hey, you can't beat the payments!

By Dougie on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 03:17 pm:

Unless she financed it for 216 months at 39.9% And yes, Patrick, I am currently on my crack break here at work, but that's neither here nor there. The cars you reference aren't the new Ford. All I can say is I was very impressed -- rent one next chance you get and see if you don't feel like you're driving a big car. I like Hondas too -- I just got rid of my 88 Accord hatchback which was a great car. I just felt like trying something new, and was happy to buy American for a change. (And I still think she's prettier than a Civic.)

By Jay on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 03:25 pm:

Yeah goddammit, show a little goddamn american pride for chrissakes! Holy shit! Motherfuckin' Henry Ford invented the goddamn automobile and ain't no slant eyed jap gonna convince me he can make one better!

By Dougie on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 03:29 pm:

They convinced me for a long time that they could make them better, but I'm willing to try an American car again.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 03:32 pm:

Henry Ford and the damn Japs were in the same boat in WWII.

frickin' nazi that he was.

By Dougie on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 03:42 pm:

Huh?

By Nate on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 03:55 pm:

Henry Ford was a big Nazi supporter.

As was Ford Motor Company.

By Trace on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 03:57 pm:

I hate to tell you all this, but the entire US was a huge German Supporter before WWII. We even gave them money!

By patrick on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 03:57 pm:

Ford Courier? hmmm thats a new one for me.
    American pride? pffffffffft

Crack breaks at work? damn you must work fer one of dem progressive new dot.com businesses

By Dougie on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 04:08 pm:

Aw crap. I didn't know that about Ford.

And yes, we're very liberal here at work Patrick. I'm going on my whore break now.

By Cat on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 04:20 pm:

I can just hear the server in the canteen at Dougie's workplace - "Did you want cream or icecream with that whore?"

By Trace on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 05:41 pm:

By crimson on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 05:58 pm:

all this talk of newer-model cars...i'll have to break down & get one someday. but for now, we've got a '78 camaro, purchased for $200. looks a little rough (needs a new paintjob) but it's quite functional. we've also got an '80s honda, which is starting to act weird. i finally sold my beloved '77 monarch to my friend, pug, & i feel kind of bad because it doesn't run for him as well as it should. our priority, for now, is more geared toward finding a new place to live, rather than getting a new vehicle, so i guess we'll keep the camaro for as long as it'll hold out.

By Bell_jar on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 06:14 pm:

henry ford used to mandate that all ford dealerships hand out anti-jewish propaganda along with the cars that they sold.

bastard.

By Thixon on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 06:15 pm:

By Trace on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 06:24 pm:

By Cat on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 06:46 pm:

Yep, it's a car. It's got four wheels. And probably an engine somewhere.

Let's go back to talking about whore breaks...now that was interesting.

By Isolde on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 06:49 pm:

Money? We gave them weapons, too!
    Cars. Who the hell pays 12000 for a CAR, for chrissakes? Nuts. I want an electric car. Some of the new gas/electric look cool, but they're expensive. Time to buy a shitty car and renovate it.

By Trace on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 06:59 pm:

Cat, I just thought it was interesting to see lines that were discontinued in the US still being sold abroad.
    We enabled the germans to fight wwii, of that there is no doubt. We knew about pearl harbor, etc. I have heard horror stories on an am talk radio station out here that would have you believe that the WWII was just an engineered and planned event, from begining to end.

By Isolde on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 07:05 pm:

We supported the Germans in Spain, when they were basically testing the weaponry they would use in WWII. We didn't give a shit about the Jews. We cared about money, we cared about the Japanese invasion of Pearl Harbour, and that was all.
    Sick.

By semillama on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 07:12 pm:

Same as it ever was.

I like my 95 corolla best of the four cars I've had, but it really just depends on the environment you'er driving in.
    When I lived in the UP, I had a Jeep Wagoneer, and that was the best car for up there.

The carfax idea is the best one. I did that. Also, do a web search for recalls on the models you are considering. Often, you'll turn up sites that are about all the bad things that are associated with a particular model. I did that when I was car shopping. I was flip-flopping between this car and a loaded Taurus. Then i saw all the recalls on the taurus. Then I came across teh site that has all teh testimony of people who bought Tauruses, and it was scary how awful that car is.

By A brick of artificially flavored candy that comes from yodas neck. on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 01:23 am:

i've got an '87 pontiac 6000. brand new engine, bought it for $200. perfect college student vehicle.

i had the alternator replaced and put on a new fender (damn those saltimbanco tickets!) but it runs great. a zippy little car.

if anyone else sees me on the road and doesn't like my driving, they can kiss my ostrich. or the hat.

By Dougie on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 08:27 am:

Yeah, well I guess I just wanted to experience buying a new car. Every previous car and boat I've had have been used, and this time, I didn't want to inherit somebody else's headaches, I wanted to start fresh with my own.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact