Phrase for the Day

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Phrase for the Day
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Trace on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 07:16 am:

The difference between stupidy and genuis is that genuis has limits

By Haywood on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 09:09 am:

stupidity has no bounds

By Dougie on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 10:59 am:

What's the phrase for tomorrow? I can't wait that long.

By Isolde on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 11:02 am:

"Sexuality, granted, is a more widespread activity than politics, but again the suspicion that man can live without either is either acting the beast or raping the god."
    --Bernard Crick, In Defence of Politics

By Bell_jar on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 12:14 pm:

this lady that i work with (she has a mental illness) always says, "Bobby G. is the greatest suicide ever!" the man is still alive, as i understand it. i don't know what it means, but i like to say it.

By Pez on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 12:20 pm:

"i'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby,
    yeah, i'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby,
    listen to iron maiden, maybe,
    with me, oo-oo-oo-oo-ooh"

By semillama on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 12:42 pm:

Ever feel like the first four Black Sabbath albums are playing inside your head, simultaneously?

By patrick on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 01:14 pm:

that would be paradise.......sem

By Isolde on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 01:20 pm:

I was just giving Dougie tommorrow's quote...though I guess I'll need to come up with a new quote for tommorrow, since he was so greedy...

By Hal on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 02:22 pm:

"Your true friends, they stab you in the front."
    -Oscar Wilde

By Dougie on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 02:43 pm:

Greedy? Moi? jamais

By Dougie on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 02:44 pm:

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

By Pez on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 03:34 pm:

dougie, tu es un amour de francais?

that probably sounds funny. i've been away from the language too long.

are you a francophile? or do you just speak the language?

"un jour, je tomberai." <--quote by me.

By Dougie on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 04:16 pm:

Yes, Pez, I like and speak French. Wouldn't say I'm a francophile though. Well, maybe.
    "Et ci c'est vrai: un jour, nous tomberons tous."

By Pez on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 04:30 pm:

i finished fourth-year highschool french in may. in a week i'll begin second-year college french.

i've been in love with the language for seven years.

By Isolde on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 04:31 pm:

Je parle francis aussi.

By TBone on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 06:13 pm:

Je ne comprends pas.

I took un peu.

Didn't take.

Japanese is more fun.

Konnichiwa!

By semillama on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 06:16 pm:

Fuck The French.

By Pez. on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 06:45 pm:

i wanted to take japanese too, but the last year it was offered was the year before i was a freshman.

that was a mouthful, wasn't it? i know a little chinese:

hong long nega tao!

By patrick on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 06:59 pm:

thank you sem

that was overdue

By Morlock on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 07:34 pm:

Anybody speak Esperanto?

Me neither.

By Isolde on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 07:41 pm:

Nobody speaks morlock, yo, Antithesis.

By Dougie on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 09:25 pm:

Alors, on doit commencer un "thread" ou on poste en francais exclusivement. Les autres peuvent nous faire des pompiers.

Translated: We should start a thread where you can only post in French. The others can suck our dicks.

By Isolde on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 09:48 pm:

J'aime.

By Pez on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 02:59 am:

oui, oui! et nous pouvons chanter aux morts a "biser", parceque "biser" est beiser est biser aussi!

ok, my french is rather skewed right now. i'm rusty. but the rough translation is:

yes, yes! and we can sing about words like "biser", because "biser" is to kiss and also to fuck!

By Cat on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 04:43 am:

Oh go start your own little frenchy thread.

And just try and keep us from storming it with English/American/Australian. It will fall faster than the Bastille.

Actually a newsreader just became a national hero by getting sacked from compering an Olympic ceremony. She refused to speak french first and english second, as is the Olympic protocol. We like saying "fuck the french" here too.

By Cat on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 04:57 am:

Is there a french word for both fuck and ass? Now that would be handy dandy.

By Dougie on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 09:55 am:

"Baiser" is a verb which used to mean solely to kiss. Now it's vulgarized and means to fuck. "Bises" and "bisoux" are nouns meaning kisses.

By Dougie on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 09:57 am:

No Cat, there is no word for both fuck and ass. "Cul" and "fesses" both mean ass or butt in French.

By Haywood on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 10:44 am:

wow, french..i dont know any french what so ever..you guys are smart

By Dougie on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 12:03 pm:

Yeah, aren't we?

By Isolde on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 12:11 pm:

I postmarked a bunch of Smints today at the Bennington College Station. I'm looking at the BA/MAT program, because being a teacher might be fun. So I mailed them off while I was at it. If any arrive damaged or funked out, tell me, and I'll send you some more.

By patrick on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 12:15 pm:

when i was france, the (then) girlfriend armed me with a simple phrase....and i can't spell it but phonetically it sounds like fu (as in futon) whaaa (vowel sound like awe)

fu t whaa "fuck you"

she speaks french very well,....better than you.....so take your stupid language and go make your silly little thread, i'll send her in to sabatoge it all.....

when i was in france i only knew the essentials (pardon my spelling)

check please- le addision ce vou ple
    bathroom?- le toilette ce vou ple
    another drink- anotre (points) ce vou ple
    com bien?- how much?
    and the above

i was good to go....

By Dougie on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 12:30 pm:

It was probably either "putain" which means whore but is used pretty much like we say hell or damn, or "foutes-moi la paix" which means give me a break.

I'm very glad for you Patrick that your old girlfriend speaks French better than us. Must make you feel very superior. Unfortunately, I see her prowess in French didn't rub off onto you though.

By patrick on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 12:50 pm:

very superior...she's now my old lady.....and she'll kick your ass

By patrick on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 12:50 pm:

very superior...she's now my old lady.....and she'll kick your ass

By droopy on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 12:53 pm:

i am finally going to sit down and learn spanish. early this morning i was at my favorite little latino market up on the northside, doing a little grocery shopping. when the girl was ringing up my stuff, she asked me a question in english i didn't catch. when i gave her an "excuse me" look, she said a little louder "cuantas naranjas?". how many oranges. even though i'm a pasty-faced irishman, they always switch to spanish as though that was the problem.

diez naranjas.

By Dougie on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 12:54 pm:

*sighs*

Ho hum, whatever...

By Dougie on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 12:55 pm:

That was to Patrick, not Droopy.

By Pez on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 04:36 pm:

i want to learn castillian spanish (aka spanish spanish) and flamanco guitar. that would be cool.

i'm going to sit down tonight and figure out how to string my guitar.

By semillama on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 06:28 pm:

Language hint: pick one you will use at the very least once a week, and not just practising, but functionally.

It's that reason while I can't remember any french, german or spanish.

Flamenco Guitar: you need a nylon string guitar, not a steel string. And yuo need to keep your fingernails trimmed a certain way, so they all look lopsided, to the left.

Flamenco is very hard to play, but also fun as hell. If you can't find someone who teches flamenco, find someone who teaches classical guitar - the hand techniues are similar (except for the strumming of course).

By Pez on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 08:00 pm:

i don't want to be a serious classical/flamenco guitarist...it's just that it sounds really really good...and it would be a nice, almost useless skill to have that would be slightly eccentric.

maybe a classical spanish version of "i will survive"...that would be tres cool.

By Trace on Thursday, September 21, 2000 - 10:03 am:

"Hey, everybody! Today we're going to learn the alphabet! Here's a happy little poem that helps me remember all the letters.
    "A is for Apple with worms at the core,
    B is for Bunny, found dead on the floor.
    C is for Catholics, god-fearing folk,
    D is for Disect, to cut and to poke.
    E is for Epitaph, cut into stone,
    F is for Finger, sliced down to the bone.
    G is for Guilotene, off with your head,
    H is for Hitman, filled belly with lead.
    I is for Irritate, pain in the neck,
    J is for Jeopordy, Alex Trebek.
    K is for Kitten, whose meow is a screech,
    L is for Lisp, ridiculed for bad thpeech.
    M is for Mildew, creeps all up the wall,
    N is for Nepotist, father will call.
    O is for Octopus, tentacles eight,
    P is for Pig, Easter dinner's the fate.
    Q is for Quentin, Pulp Fiction was fun,
    R is for Retina, burned by the sun.
    S is for Sailor, washed up on the shore,
    T is for Thumbnail, closed hard in the door.
    U is for Umpire, clocked by the ball,
    V is for Vindicate, justice for all.
    W is for Wishbone, cracked cleanly in two,
    X is for X-ray, the tumor is blue.
    Y is for Yellow, he did wet the bed,
    Z is for Zebra, this is what he said...

"I love you!"

By pez on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 03:33 am:

teeheehee!

By Tom on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 03:19 pm:

A rip-off of the Gashleycrumb tinies? (is that what they're called? Ghastlycrumb? Edward Gorey. c'mon, now.)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact