So what's your Favorite Thanksgiving Dish?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: So what's your Favorite Thanksgiving Dish?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
R.C. on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 06:03 am:

I'm not a turkey person. At all.

But it's 6am & I'm abt to go crash & dream of sitting around the dining room table at my parents' house in a few hours & digging into a gorgeous standing rib roast -- if only Mom can manage to slice of a portion for me while it's still rare... That & a big serving spoonful of old-fashioned macaroni-&-cheese (i.e. the kind made w/sharp cheddar/then you pull the dish out of the oven/toss some breadcrumbs on top & run it under the broiler for a minute til the crumbs get all brown & toasty). And some gravy on top. And fresh carrots tossed w/butter & a sprinkling of cinnamon & nutmeg. Then a slice of sweet potato pie for dessert.

My Mom puts out a major spread/but I usually pass on everything else. Except the collard greens & a token slice of turkey/to placate her.

So what's yr fave Thanksgiving dish? Does anyone's family make anything really special or exotic?

By Isolde on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 02:12 pm:

Cranberry sauce. Hells yeah. I could eat that
    stuff forever. I wish I could get cranberries year
    round.
    I hate Thanksgiving.

By Nelly on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 11:27 pm:

Stuffing.

Or, in the South, and especially for vegetarians, "dressing" (outside the bird).

It took awhile before I could accept a square of this stuff coming out of a pan, as being as good as the glob that came out of the inner cavity of some formerly living thing, but now I have a high appreciation. It goes real good with cranberry sauce. And I usually don't ask questions as to what it might have been basted with either.

But spare me the stove top stuff.

By Antigone on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 02:40 am:

Every year, at both Thanksgiving and Christmas, I play "guess the secret ingredients" with the mashed potatos. This year it was garlic tobascoe and chicken soup spices. Believe it or not, the one they've liked best so far was brown suger and a touch of mayo. I didn't tell them about the mayo. :-)

By J on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 03:39 am:

Another Thanksgiving,My mom came and got too wasted to eat,we had ham and a turkey,she puked all over the place,I have to clean up her mess tommorrow,and she called me a sot.I wish I could bust her one.

By Tom on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 04:25 am:

I broke down and ate with the Jewish Stoner clan. She's a really good cook.

Hrm. We had (among other things) a pecan pie made with maple syrup instead of Karo. weird.

And after dinner, and again after pie: the entire house filled with marijuana smoke, and I remembered why I don't smoke: gives me a headache.

So most of the thanksgiving "special family time" was spent on the porch of a house full of strangers.

Oh. and olives (black) in the stuffing. That was new to me, as was the pear sauce, eaten just like cranberry sauce. However you eat cranberr sauce. If it's a sauce, shouldn't it go on top of something? Do people drizzle it over the turkey?

It mixes well with mashed potatoes though.

By semillama on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 10:13 am:

sweet potatoes with a crusty topping of baked pecans.

yum.

By Isolde on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 11:16 am:

That sounds tasty. I like sweet potatoes and
    pecans, and, so it turns out, the cats here do
    too. they're playing with my skirts. I had sushi,
    guac, and a handful of beans last night, while
    louging on the porch with someone as anti
    social as I am.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact