Has anybody seen "QUEER AS FOLK"?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Has anybody seen "QUEER AS FOLK"?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By R.C. on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 05:40 am:

Since it started I've been watching it every Sunday nite after going out to dinner w/a small group of friends. It think it's interesting-as-hell in a voyeuristic sort of way. But ragingly stereotypical in a lot of ways.

The demographics for our little group are:
    - The Gay couple (male, 20-something)
    - The White Liberal Lapsed Mennonite woman (30-something)
    - The older Black woman (that wd be me/I'm 40).

We all like the show. I like the dialogue & the fact that it's abt time they started portraying gays on t.v. as regular people. And I like Hal Spark's character a lot. But I have issues w/the promiscuity -- the gays I know don't pick up guys at clubs & drag them off the bed half an hour later. (Even the straights I know don't do that!)

The 2 guys like the sex scenes & the fag jokes.

The other woman in the group agrees w/me that the men (excpet 1) are all too thin & pretty to be representative of what gays are really like/which brings the show down a notch. (Might as well be a gay "Dawson's Creek" set in Pittsburg w/an older cast.)

And I have issues w/the fact that there are no straight characters in the regular cast. Gays aren't that cloistered or clicky in a city like Pittsburgh.

The lesbian couple gets on my nerves -- they're just 2 really irritating bitches/baby or no. To me/the baby is just a prop to justify having them on the show at all. The guys agree w/me but the other woman likes them.

So, what do the Sorbajians think?

By semillama on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 09:15 am:

Don't have showtime.

Sounds horrible.

The closest I can comment on is "Normal, Ohio", which I thought was pretty funny, although Goodman was unconvincing as a gay man. I guess they canned it already.

By patrick on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 12:13 pm:

The Advocate had a feature on this, didn't read it. However i was picking up some cheeba the other night, my friend was watching it, she said it sucked compared to the original British film series.

I too, don't have showtime.

By J on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 02:25 pm:

I'll have to check it out.

By Gee on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 03:14 pm:

YAY! Gay soap opera! this is the UK version or have they pumped out the american one already?

I adore Stuart. he's pretty, has a faint irish accent, and he's gay. what more could you ask for?

anyway, the UK version Rocks. I'll have to wait for the US crap.

By patrick on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 04:57 pm:

the showtime version is an american edition, i believe

By moonit on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 11:39 pm:

Oh for fucks sake

By moonit on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 11:40 pm:

whoops...

what is this fascination of turning perfectly good tv shows into 'other countries-ian' versions?

hmmm?

By wisper on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 01:18 am:

actually Gee, the "american" version was filmed and made right here in Toronto.

and that's all i'm saying about that version.

By R.C. on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 02:35 am:

It's an American bastardization of the British t.v. series. I've never seen the U.K. version. They showed a few clips from the Brit version 2 wks. ago. It looked a lot more downmarket. The guys in the shots I saw looked like working-class blokes in some factory town. Which I imagine wd make it a lot harder/& a lot more interesting/to portray a group of openly gay men.

By patrick on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 12:20 pm:

have you seen the french x-files? the saudi edition? Are the x-files dubbed with a kiwi accent?

shit

the rest of the worlds' tv quality sucks ass. you should thank the us for setting such high production standards.

fuck canada and your whorish ways of stealing the american movie business. get your own damn industry.

By moonit on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 05:39 pm:

No the X files are not dubbed into a kiwi accent. Dont be so fucken stupid.

I thank the US for 'made for tv movies' that send me to sleep.

And awful awful talk shows. How to get your 15 minutes of fame.

Why couldnt you have played the Queer as Folk in the original version? Why did you have to add characters? Wasn't it PC enough for American standards?

Or is it the other way around? English too tame? And way to PC?

By patrick on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 06:49 pm:

i really don't know why they would do an american version.

im not sure it has anything to do with american ego. It may simply have to do with american production standards, but for one reason or another they felt it was necessary to make a hit show. Its on showtime, which means they can say shit, fuck, damn, cock, pussy ass all night long and show all the t&a they want, so I don't think i has anythign to do with PC or not.

who knows. but im sure there is a reason. perhaps they bought the script from the opiginal makers and wanted to star a more familiar american cast, since its being broadcast to americans.

i TOO thank the made for tv movies that put me to sleep.

im not sure you would find an american that would disagree that the talk shows are horrendous. I just don't know who watches Jerry Springer anymore...

By agatha on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:23 pm:

I'm pulling up this three year old thread to say that I spent way too much time this weekend watching the entire first season of "Queer as Folk."

I'm COMPLETELY addicted now. I've already ordered seasons two and three from Netflix, and Dave will not be allowed to watch any movies until I'm finished monopolizing our membership.

I love Michael. He's so sweet, I want him to be my boyfriend. I also love Melanie. She's such a bitch.

So, yeah.

By agatha on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:23 pm:

Oh, and I love Michael's mom. Actually, I love all of the characters, even asshole Brian.

By Spider on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:48 pm:

Who does Hal Sparks play? He's a cutie.

By agatha on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:56 pm:

That's Michael! Spider, you would love this show. Or, maybe you wouldn't. I think you would, though, although the copious gay sex might embarrass you a little.

By V.v. on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 04:18 pm:

By V.v. on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 04:28 pm:

"guns dont kill people,bad fashion does"

By V.v. on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 04:36 pm:

I saw that last night,and its good.

By wisper on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 05:58 pm:

are you watching the north american version or the vastly superior original?

By agatha on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 06:55 pm:

I think I'm watching the North American version. I'll have to look for the vastly superior original next.

By Gee on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 10:28 am:

I'll never stop loving each and every gay man from the vastly superior version. except maybe the guy who didn't know how many different Dr. Who's there were. no, no, even him I love.

ps, in real life, people named Melanie are not at all bitchy and smile quite often.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact