study of self on internet

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: study of self on internet
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Lorraine on Thursday, December 28, 2000 - 08:28 pm:

Hi everyone

I am a final year Psychology student in Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland. For my final year project, I am investigating how people using the internet for social purposes act out different parts of their selves online – that is, express parts of themselves that they would not normally in everyday life.

If you use the Internet for social interaction and if you present your self online as someone different from your self in real life (e.g. if you play a character online or just behave in a way that you feel is different from how you are in everyday life) I would be grateful if you would complete my short questionnaire. If you meet the above criteria and if you are interested, please contact me on the following e-mail address for more information and the questionnaire:

self_study@excite.co.uk

All participants in this study are guaranteed complete confidentiality and will receive a copy of the completed report in March.

Thank you for your time

Lorraine Seery

By M. Klopot on Thursday, December 28, 2000 - 09:02 pm:

Hi, I believe I qualify for your study. I would like to help you in your research. Please contact me with the details.

By Daniel ssss on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 12:55 am:

Social interaction yes, present differently from real life, no. You might contact Sarah T. at navelgazer.com as she has does some great research into the nature of online culture, or Derek P. at the fray.org. You will find some amazing "social interaction" /real sharing /real honesty for the most part here at sorabji.

Most poseur don't stay here long.

By Nate on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 01:24 am:

surely Daniel, you have to assume that most people here are not exactly their sorabjiite personas.

whether more or less true to self, we are all most likely not true to physical character.

By Tom on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 04:51 am:

I've gotta agree with Nate. Is it all honest? yep. but it definitely has a different flavor than it would in real life. I'd wager that some people are more aggressive, more or less logical, calm, confident online than in real life. If you really want people who take on full new personas online: oh, splat. nevermind. I meant to find the URL for the big and important MUD journal, but it ran away. Still, there's tons of research out there regarding MUD and MOO communities; not only in the context of "gaming," but universes set up for education and social interaction, too.

By Daniel of the Thousand Personae on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 11:13 am:

well I'm not at all my aggressive sarcastic self anymore, so insert tongue in cheek and raspberry to us all. perhaps the only persona real on the boards here ... is .... will the real sorabji stand up?

Few know for sure that I really exist and somedays even they and I are puzzled. I am in reality a small hunchbacked one legged gorilla who was educated at Exeter and hang out as a hairy unbathed Viet Nam hippie vet panhandler in front of the Kennedy Center, on whom the real Mark THomas took pity and gave me an identity. The St. Louis thing is just a front. Yeah, like this gorilla is a therapist!

Only Cat knows for sure. By the way, where is she? Most of us are cruising biker bars in Michigan (I hear).

Send hair spray. By the way, they used to call me Lugh in the Old Days (preNet).

By Czarina on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 02:55 pm:

Well,I personally am much more reserved here,than I am in "real life".

But,on the other hand,I am a master of disguise!

By N.b. on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 07:31 pm:

if i had to sign my real name, i simply wouldn't be here.

By Tom on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 09:33 pm:

You don't have to go through live being called Barnalopholous, you know. It's a hundred bucks or so to legally change your name, and it can make all the difference in the world when you're on a date.

My parents wanted to name me Augustus, and I would sign that name, either.

By Daniel some sort sanguinous sot on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 11:45 pm:

and the originator of the internet (www at least) and HTML is but four years younger than I am.

<sigh>

and I could have been a famous gorilla too.

Ok CZ: so you know too that I don't exist. So much for the hidden gorillacade.

It's hard to disguise myself as a republican.

By Daniel on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 11:48 pm:

and Daniel is my real name.

really.

By dave. on Friday, December 29, 2000 - 11:52 pm:

i want an ape.org mail address.

By Danielape.org on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 12:16 am:

make one up: it's easy. None of us exist.

By dave. on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 12:30 am:

no fair.

By Cat on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 01:47 am:

Quit your whining dave. I'm back and won't tolerate any of that whimpy-girly-poo-bum attitude.

Daniel, I may just have left my boot prints on a bar table or two. I hope you've been making snow angels in my absence.

By dave. on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 01:49 am:

you're a bitch.

By Cat on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 01:51 am:

Oh don't make me blush candypants.

By Daniel.s.s.s.s on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 11:40 am:

so good to have you BOTH back...so soothing. Actually Dave, the ape.org and ape.net exist. There's a Doug at ape.org. Ape = administrators, programmers, engineers...

So I aped 'em.

Boot tracks? mean you been to da North? Up?

SNOW ANGELS not withstanding, there's some serious white stuff out this morning but I feel invincible with four new tires on the Danmobile. Was going to get a new Danmobile, but won't be able to afford airplane tickets then. So if it'll float, I can always superinflate the tires and row myself over. Miss the VW that way; it always floated...

By J on Saturday, December 30, 2000 - 12:33 pm:

I'm pretty much here,as I am in my life,at this point,I'd print my real name,but I have shared some really shitty things I've done,that could possibly get me in trouble with the law.

By Daniel ssss on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 12:41 am:

Yeah but we know who you are. Have a nice new year J. I'm stuck here on this damn island of soul with a broken cd changer and visitors from Arkansas.

Lunch= Guido's canneloni with red sauce, hopped up cheesey garlic bread, Dr. pepper; Edy's cookies n creme at Union Station; then dinner I made of portabella mushroom caps filled with three different cheeses, marinated in Balsamic vinegrae (Kraft, straight out of the bottle), and baked slowly until bubbly, then smoked salmon, sesame crackers and jalapeno hummus, and Mr. Pibb.

I am loaded with cholesterol and grease but loving it. Looking forward to creamed herring later tonight...and it's not even NY eve yet.

(food string interruption for Sarah's benefit).

I'll hate it when my guests go home and I'm back cooking a cold turkey on rye for one.

Somebody come visit dammit.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact