We should all be very worried

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: We should all be very worried
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Antigone on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 12:20 am:

...about this.

This technology has been under development for a
    long time, but this is the first time I've seen it
    used in such a blantantly public way.

By Hal on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 12:35 am:

Whoa! Thats fucked up, and here again we have another reason why I refuse to watch sports.

By dave. on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 12:49 am:

cool. now i have a new hobby. destroying cams.

By semillama on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 09:36 am:

Step away from the bed...

By patrick on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 12:04 pm:

do you believe a terrorist attack on such a (very) american event is possible? be it chemical or traditional suitcase bomb?

If so, do you think if such a horrific thing happened the public would blast the gov't for not taking such measures. Hindsight is always 20/20...and I could just see family members of the dead from such an event suing the gov't for not doing enough to prevent terrorists from entering the stadium.

Im not saying what they did here is right....what im saying is i don't know what i think.

By Nate on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 12:53 pm:

DUDE DINT YOU READ BLACK SUNDAY?

By Trace on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 12:53 pm:

I think they could have done a check point and been more obvious if that is what they were worried about. Besides, how about someone who was going to bomb the super bowl who did not have a criminal history? A physical check whould have revealed the contraband.
    I think it was a piss poor excuse to show off a technology that I am sure they have been using for a while now.

By patrick on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 01:16 pm:

no, i didnt read it

By Dougie on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 02:09 pm:

On an unrelated but similar note, I heard NFL security trailed around that guy who used to parachute into World Series and Super Bowls. They gave him free tix to XXXV because they didn't want him jumping. He said he showed up just to scope the place out for a quarter, then was going to leave and jump, but there were too many security guards tailing him and knew where he was going and what he was going to do, so he didn't jump.

By Dougie on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 02:20 pm:

I read Sweet Thursday, does that count?

BTW Pilate, Cannery Row & Sweet Thursday -- maybe good choices for your son?

By Antigone on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 02:58 pm:

Patrick, that logic can be used to justify any kind of tracking. Why not record the DNA sequences of people at the stadium by taking urine and feces samples from the restrooms?

But the "looking for criminals" application isn't what I'm worried about. With this kind of technology it would be a relatively simple matter to identify anyone who's face got into a camera shot. That information could be used to track people's movements wherever they go. This isn't paranoid fantasy. The superbowl showed that this technology is in production and is available for wide use. Once it's deployed in the name of tracking criminals, it's only a small ideological shift away from being used to track everybody.

Just an example: while I was getting my masters in CS some friends in the school of applied cognition were working on a way of classifying faces. They devised a way of creating a set of face prototypes that could be combined to create any face shape. This has many applications. Faces can be tested for similarity in an almost intuitive fashion. (i.e. just wearing glasses or a hat wouldn't fool the identification process) Also a face description can be compressed to thousands of times smaller than the original image, making the transmission of an identified face through a network much cheaper.

Anyway, this research was done six years ago at an underfunded podunk university. Just think of what has been developed by now...

By patrick on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 03:27 pm:

so you are assuming the worst case application for such technology.

also, how does the gov protect the populus from terroist threats to public events like this?

do you believe thats a reality?

What interest does our gov't have in tracking everyone?

By patrick on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 03:28 pm:

anyone can take your picture at anytime. you do not own your image per se.

By Nate on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 03:31 pm:

"also, how does the gov protect the populus from terroist threats to public events like this? "

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. "
    -Benji

By Trace on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 03:38 pm:

The constitution is shredded just a little bit each day in the name of "public safety".
    Like the new law that gives the feds the right to go through your home and copy your hard drive, take all the pictures of whatever they want, and not even have to tell you for 90 days. That is part of a Anti-Drug Dealer law. For public safety you know.

By patrick on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 03:38 pm:

thats really cute and slightly extremist nate but it doesnt really say much.

By Trace on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 03:39 pm:

Sorry, I had to knock off the beer cans and throw cleatus out befores i could respond to that thar post

By Antigone on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 04:22 pm:

Why would the government want to track our whereabouts? It's not a question of why, it's a question of whether it can be done. "Why" rarely enters the technical mind. Why always takes care of itself because, for every technology, human behavior always finds a use. It always finds LOTS of uses.

But there is a why, at least in the business world. The project I'm currently working on used to be geared towards location based advertising. i.e. If you were walking near a Gap and you'd expressed interest in their products (or your profile suggested you might show interest) you would be sent an ad through your cellular phone or wireless PDA. Finding the user's location was always a bitch, but we were waiting for global positioning systems to become cheap and common, integrated into cell phones and PDAs. If the project hadn't self destructed we were going to store all user related information in Switzerland to avoid it ever being subpoenaed.

But, along this same line, a mall could set up the face recognition technology. When you made a purchase, your face is associated with your credit card. (This could be sold as a fraud protection measure.) But, you'd never be anonymous in that mall again. When you walked in the door, a little targeted speaker could say to you in a chipper voice, "Hi, Patrick! We've got a sale at the Gap today!" But, what it wouldn't say to you was, "Because of our deal with local law enforcement, the constable will be waiting for you there to arrest you for those unpaid traffic tickets! Have a nice day!"

By Dougie on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 04:54 pm:

Same deal with EZ Pass, the automatic bridge & tunnel payment system. They know who you are and where you're going. If you make it from the Throgs Neck Bridge to the George Washington Bridge too fast, they ticket you for speeding. But it beats hell out of sitting in a line of cars waiting for the privilege of paying $4 to cross that bridge.

Do you guys have a similar system out in CA?

By heather on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 05:13 pm:

antigone- that location based advertising stuff self-destructed?

five years ago these guys we were working with [they did gm advertising] kept talking about it. they talked about it being integrated into the car mapping systems.

they were all hyped up about it, i thought it sounded scary and annoying.

go ahead, spend your time watching and following me. you might learn something.

By patrick on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 05:30 pm:

yeah dougie i think they have it in the bay area with the Bay Bridge and whatnot. we dont have any toll roads or major bridges here in metro LA.

So antigone, you have a problem with bank surveillance cameras? What about security measures in our courthouses?

I don't think our gov't had any interest to track each and every one of us. I don't see being photographed for security purposes on public property to be as big a slash on civil liberties as some of you parnoid freaks are making it out to be.

We already have personal information bought and sold for commercial purposes....taking an image of my face doesn't threaten me anymore than the fact that my creditors have my social security, mothers maiden name etc.

They could have made the same argument when the technology of fingerprint tracking occured.

By Cat on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 05:48 pm:

My concern is who owns the information and who's controlling its use. A private company now has a file on people who could afford to pay to go to the Superbowl. What's to stop them selling it to the taxation department, for instance? And what if the technology is adapted to identify anyone who's high, so drug enforcement agencies can raid your home? The possibilities for this technology are endless and frightening.

Once they cross the line into your private space, the individual loses control. While it may make us safer, I think the cost of personal liberty is too high.

By Cat on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 06:01 pm:

Oh and here's just a little example, which may not be totally relevant, but I think you'll make the leap.

A few years ago when I went to get my licence renewed, I lined up for an identity photo. Then they told me it hadn't worked out and I needed to have it taken again. Being naturally suspicious, I asked to see the pic for myself. It turned out some clerk had pocketed it for his own private collection of "babes". This guy also had my home address, thanks to my licence information. He'd been working at the RTA for a few weeks and had collected dozens of pics. Now while he was sacked, the damage was done and there was no way of undoing it.

By Dougie on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 06:05 pm:

Ever heard of Echelon or Carnivore? Your e-mail's not safe from prying eyes either. The NSA & FBI read your e-mail, and most probably pay this site a friendly visit once in a while.

Bank surveillance cameras are private enterprise. They're protecting their assets and asses. Also, there's a difference between a company amassing databases on you, such as through those barcode cards you give the supermarket to scan for "discounts" or amazon.com compiling a profile on you and leaving cookies on your computer and suggesting new books when you surf in, and the government taking your picture at the superbowl, or the mall, or the laundromat.

By Dougie on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 06:06 pm:

Damn, Cat. Did he get sacked because of you? If so, cool!

By heather on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 06:11 pm:

it's not just your face patrick...they can see inside you...

damn it. i was thinking i shouldn't have planned my international conspiracy via email. all that networking for nothing.

By Cat on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 06:11 pm:

You bet your bottom burps he did.

Well not just because of me, but because of the dozens of other incidences as well.

And I don't feel a bit guilty.

By Dougie on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 06:21 pm:

Well, we can always feed the search engine spiders. Give some balding, doughnut-eating FBI agent a way to kill 10 minutes:

"Conspiracy, terror, terrorism, terrorist, kidnapping, bomb, bombing, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Palestine, plastic explosives, fun in the sun."

By patrick on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 06:45 pm:

"it's not just your face patrick...they can see inside you... "

care to elaborate?

By Dougie on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 06:47 pm:

They analyze what you had for lunch to amass a database on your restaurant eating habits.

By Dougie on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 06:50 pm:

Damn, they're playing that ad for the American Legacy foundation where the dude with the "cancer-kazoo" is talking about what ads big tobacco can't place anymore. I gotta fucking quit. Monday.

By Antigone on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 06:54 pm:

On the subject of anti-privacy public/private partnerships, check out this recent slashdot discussion here.

It seems that a common net filtering company for schools and libraries is also collecting internet usage info and selling it. Who are their customers? At the moment, only two: an educational website and the DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE.

By heather on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 06:58 pm:

-------------------
    Optical technique allows non-surgical biopsies

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, JUNE 27, 1997
    MIT News Office

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- MIT scientists, working in conjunction with researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital, have developed a non-invasive method of detecting early signs of cancer and heart attacks, Science magazine reported today.

The new method is known as optical coherence tomography (OCT). OCT produces a clear picture of a cross-section of bodily tissue without requiring surgical biopsy. Using laser light, OCT can magnify tissue to allow visualization of individual cells without damaging the tissue.

OCT is based on optical fiber technology, the same technology now used in telecommunications. An optical fiber is a string-like component which guides light waves, allowing a light beam to be controlled over long distances and around bends.

------------

you can use your fire to keep warm or to burn your neighbor's house down

i was agreeing with you. i just wanted to sound dramatic and conspirative.

By Dougie on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 07:02 pm:

Do they still show that cable news show to kids in class? The one where they advertise Coke and candy bars etc.? Or did that go bust?

By Antigone on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 07:13 pm:

heather, the project I was on tanked. Others like it are still all over the place...

Come on, patrick, I'm not a paranoid freak. I just happen to know alot about what's possible because I'm well versed in the technology.

At the moment the government doesn't need to have much of a reason to collect tracking data on everyone. It's easy. It's cheap. With my basic knowledge of the face recognition research and image manipulation I could, given about six months of dedicated work, create a rudimentary face tracking system all by myself! Just think of the systems a dedicated government agency could make employing highly skilled people in the field.

But this incident is a watershed moment not because of the development of the technology. It's well developed already. What's happening now is social testing: Will society as a whole accept this kind of tracking? Will the average joe figure out the implications, and if he does will he react negatively?

Fear is not always paranoia, patrick. Sometimes it's just good common sense.

By patrick on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 07:21 pm:

thanks heather.............freak.

well antigone (sigh) what are ya gonna do?

I just know if a terrorist attack occured the american public would scream "MORE SECURITY MORE SECURITY!!!"

Im not threatened by this technology, the govenment has no use for me. NOW had they used the images taken from the superbowl and starting picking up petty criminals for minor felonies and misdemeanors.....i'd have a problem with that. But hey didn't. At least the article implied that.

As far as Im concerned the gov't could track me at any moment and there is nothing stopping them...the thing is not to give them a reason to track me.

By Nate on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 07:22 pm:

i find it strange that you trust the government so much, patrick.

By patrick on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 07:29 pm:

this has nothing to do with trust but rather what i believe their priorities are. Im confident Im not one of them.

By Hal on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 08:02 pm:

I hate sports and the goverment loves to show off...

There, some wisdom from beyond.

By Antigone on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 08:08 pm:

I used to be of that attitude, patrick, but the threshold for how easy it is to track people is low enough that prioriries are no longer an issue. You only prioritize usage of a resource when that resource is scarce. The "ability to track" resource is becoming very abundant if it's a simple thing to scan the faces of 100k Super Bowl attendees to find 19 faces. That's only a return of 1 in 5000. How much did they have to pay per capita to find those 19 faces? Not much, aparently...

By patrick on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 08:21 pm:

im probably one of the biggest pot smokers here, and not to mention i have family history of paranoia.....

i should be the one afraid of the men in black.

perhaps...off all things...i accept that if the gov't wants to take my picture there is not much i can do to stop them. i most likely would support legislation to stop the gov't from taking such measures....to catch so called criminals. but my skepticism would probably lend itself to believe that no piece of legislation will stop the gov't from ultiamtely doing what it wants to do. They have demonstrated recently they intend to bluntly ignore the ABMT....on the basis that its "outdated" so if they wanna pass token laws and you wanna go protest ..go ahead, i'll support you, but don't expect anything to change.

and on that note.. the puter is being turned off, Im turning on.....and going to get my wife and be a 16 year old again.

may the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

By Antigone on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 08:22 pm:

Some excellent posts on the slashdot discussion:

here
    and
    here

By Antigone on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 08:45 pm:

And, as if on cue, I discovered that someone from the DOD Network Information Center visited my website today. :-o

By Daniel who is not even real ssss on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 10:48 pm:

we all should forever swear off cookies. i am going to unplug the trees now.

Heather, I AM a Man in Black. Yeah, in my dreams. And the DOD has a file ten miles high on guys like me, old alkies and druggies who now interface with the system with persistent offenders. It all came unraveled with Mike Rice of the IRS in 1990. I thought I was untouchable.

I tell you, I live in the woods now, rather anonymously. But. They not only send me coupons for the type of hummus I purchase, but They know I wear v neck hanes of the 2xlong variety and stand nearly nekkid on my deck flipping Them off as They peer at me and intercept this very sentence from the towers nearby.

We should be very worried. Twenty years ago I got burned. Ten years ago I got shot at. Told that story in another string. Only after I was told I couldn't work federal probation and parole cases (allegedy because They said I couldn't carry{concealed weapon} because I wouldn't, objected to it...) in the recent past, have I begun to worry that They know what I am eating.

So I grow my own food now except for the ham and turkey. And don't use the debit card ever.

Fuck them all. It makes good copy, but you never know the truth anymore. If They know This about me, think about what They know about important people. I am a Nobody.

It is not out there.

It is in here.

Trust no one. Mulder was right.

By dave. on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 11:46 pm:

what, no cookies? but i love my yahoo! i got badtz-maru in full effect. actually, the badtz-maru theme is a sorabji rip-off.

By Hal on Saturday, February 3, 2001 - 08:25 am:

Trust no one. Its a good theme for a world where everywhere you look someone is interested in what your doing. Even if it isn't the goverment, its the media, its the magazine salesmen, its the religious groups who wake you up on a perfectly good saturday morning. Nothing you do escapes everyone's eye. Someone is always watching...

But again, trust upon one's self is the only trust of all.

By Daniel ssss on Saturday, February 3, 2001 - 10:23 am:

and NEVER trust the goats...

By Hal on Saturday, February 3, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

Especially if you live in Montana.

By purple on Sunday, February 4, 2001 - 04:08 pm:

I dont think the mantra of mass paranoia will solve anything. Sure, theres someone watching, but 1 million people isolated will never accomplish what that million could when they unite.
    Of course, Im not saying go out and trust anyone, trust is precious and should not be given out like candy, but against the seemingly invincible forces (usually stemming from the federal government, for some reason...) a trusted friend can be an amazing asset, both for assurace that 'they' haven't completely taken over, and someone who's watching your back if things turn ugly...

By Hal on Sunday, February 4, 2001 - 06:02 pm:

Like I said...

It doesn't really matter in any case.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact