Life is awesome

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Life is awesome
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spiral on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 10:24 am:

Woke up this morning feeling beautiful. The world is just working with me this week, and I'm lovin it. Hope the week goes as peachy-keen with everyone else as well. Off to work, ah, life is sweet.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:28 am:

you know the subway conducter was saying the same thing.

i was going to make a story about it...the entertainer turned subway driver. The n i realized it would probably suck. Anyway... he sounded as if he was auditioning for a radio/dj gig. Telling us to "keep the smiles on our face", "its a lovely lovely day", "beautiful sunshine" and so on. There was little dead air on SBWY radio it seemed. I suppose he did his job because i smiled. Many people though looked too afraid to smile...to let him in.

Though i appreciate your enthusiasm Spiral...the week is sucking ass just fine for me.

By Spiral on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 07:58 pm:

Sorry to hear about that Patrick... it seems that my perfect day went a little south though this afternoon. On the drive back, I ended up killing a baby duck on the freeway. Poor little guy had no chance. I feel just awful about it, but I couldn't slow down; there was a Greyhound behind me. So I became a criminal: negligent homicide.

Glad to hear that the subway gentleman made you smile though. I find that a smile goes a long way to making you feel better (cheesy as *that* sounds). I hope the rest of your week picks up. Was it anything specific? Or just duldums?

I think I'll head out to sushi; it should make me feel better. I have become an instant addict. Although, to be honest, I am still very much an amateur. Oh well, how else to learn, eh?

By patrick on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 11:24 am:

no, i expect the rest of my week to suck monkey fur.

its just that way. im completely comfortable with it.

it should pick up around saturday when i travel to Ventura for a birthday party. Not a close friend, but a solid one.

I made some photographs for her. Actually a triptych. Im quite proud of it as it has cleaned up nicely. 3 8x10 frames with 4x4 black and white warmtoned images with my naked wife. She has this awesome 40s metal desk and fan on as accessories. What is super about this arrangement with the pictures is, you can put them in any order on the wall (each framed seperately) in fact I think thats the highlight of the triptych. After finishing the matts, i sat there and arranged and rearranged them for sometime. I numbered them and sent them on their way.

My wife says I'm too generous with my work, but what good are these images sitting in my head and negative binder?

So, when I see her face when shes sees MY WIFE'S ASS and TITS FRAMED (HA!) things should pick up.

I like seeing people's faces at times like that.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 12:07 pm:

i did get my haircut yesterday too.

that made me happy, even though the little fucker cut a bit too short. but my hair grows fast, so thats ok. i went to this new joint in my hood called Rudy's. Its all the hipster rage. They have them in Seattle too...coffeecut.

$20 flat for a cut. I appreciate that. Its a decent deal...when you weight the options for a mancut these days. Old school barber shop=$10 for the basic snip and shave...my hair has more complex needs than that. The MegaSuperGreat Cut joints=$15 but the Armenian ladies are really rough and lecture me about my dry scalp. Salon=$40 though my hair is not this complex you do get a really good cut, but the latte and obnoxious music I could do without. So that leaves Rudy's=$20+tip decent cut, no frills, no lectures and good conversation about the neighborhood.

My wife said my hair makes me look like i just came back from war...meaning its not TOO short, as if its grown out but I look like a pilot from the 40s. Flying the friendly red skies!

By J on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 12:23 pm:

I think the back of a mans neck is sexy.

By Dougie on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 12:28 pm:

Me too.

By Cat on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 05:14 pm:

I adore biting necks. Flesh yielding to teeth and slightly salty warmth under tongue. Yummy.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 05:24 pm:

ilove the "second skin" summer heat drapes on you for that very reason.

By agatha on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 08:48 pm:

rudy's is $15 in seattle. i used to get my haircut there, once cleo ate a whole bunch of strawberries when she was a baby and barfed all over the chairs in front of the salon, the tattoo artist george who went to high school with dave, and me. boy, was that embarrassing.

By sarah on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 09:06 pm:

woke up this morning and puked, which wasn't all that fun, but i put a good dent in my liquor supply last night, while i made homemade granola, strawberry coconut rice pudding, packed boxes, and cried on the phone with k. been feeling like shit all day. not like hungover shit, but just sort of generally out of it. fuzzy brain, no appetite. two more days of work stress.

i've been emotional taboot. i cry at the drop of a hat. this is what k said last night that made me cry:

i can't wait to kiss you in that gentle, easy way that only comes after hours of exhaustive love-making, in a way that conveys nothing but pure, natural love. and i already know exactly the way that i'll hold you and the feel of the skin on your back.

and he said more stuff after that, but that's when i started crying so i can't remember the rest. and i cannot believe that someone spoke words like that to me, and meant it. i cannot believe how romantic he is, all of the time. i cannot believe how much love he showers on me. i i even got my sex drive back. it's unbelievable. it's so great to be so whipped on each other. and i'm sure it's entirely sickening that i'm sharing such gooby stuff with you all, but it's like i need to put it down in writing, i need to get it down on the record. my romantic life has been nothing but disaster after disaster, until finally i gave up altogether. and it's just in that moment when you don't give a flying fuck anymore that the most amazing thing happens and changes your life forever.

anyway.

i hope this puking thing stops. i'm definitely not pregnant. what needs to happen is for someone to come to my house and get all the liquor out, or i might drown myself in the next few days.

By Platypus on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 12:30 am:

The puking thing isn't much fun, I'll have to agree. I feel like puking, since I'm supposed to move in 10 days and don't have a house yet-today is definetly not beautiful. Maybe I'll come to your house and get all the liquor out to escape mine.

By Spider on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 08:37 am:

Sarah, please post the recipe for that strawberry bread pudding. I have 4 pounds of strawberries sitting in my refridgerator.

By sarah on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 01:41 pm:

actually rhi it was rice pudding. i'll post it anyway, and then if you want strawberry bread pudding too, let me know.

Strawberry Cocounut Rice Pudding

1/2 cup uncooked white rice
    2 cups water
    1 cup sugar
    2 pints fresh strawberries, chopped
    1 can coconut milk
    1 tbs + 1 tea cornstarch
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup dessicated raw coconut (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine rice, water, 1/2 cup sugar in a large saucer. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer until all of the water is evaporated and rice is kinda mushy, about 45 minutes to an hour. Chill rice in the refrigerator for an hour.

If you want, you can sprinkle strawberries with 1/4 cup sugar, or not, depending on how sweet you like your rice pudding.

Dissolve cornstarch in a very small amount of cold water, like a couple teaspoons of water or so. In a small saucer, heat coconut milk, 1/4 cup sugar, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil.

In a medium bowl whisk eggs well. Add about a cup of the coconut milk mixture to eggs and pour back into pan. Bring to a low boil and cook for about ten minutes. When the mixture is really really really thick, remove from heat.

Add rice and strawberries and dessicated coconut to the coconut milk. Pour into a glass baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool on counter for an hour, then cover and refrigerate overnight.

By sarah on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 01:44 pm:

If you use frozen strawberries, they are way more watery, so i suggest you reduce the amount of strawberries to about a pint and use 2 tbs of cornstarch in the recipe and bake for a little longer in the oven. otherwise your pudding will be too soupy.

By sarah on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 01:57 pm:

btw, life is almost awesome today. farewell to me luncheon at Bronson's and then tomorrow is my last day, when life becomes officially awesome. i get to sign a contract with the evil bank and charge them $70 an hour to fuck with their website AT MY LEISURE, until they find a replacement. and then i'm off to the big island to do yoga for five days in the middle of the jungle.

also, no barfing this morning!

By Spider on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 02:08 pm:

Sarah, I'm so happy for you!

Thanks for the recipe -- I'll have to scour around for a can of coconut milk, but this might be the excuse I need to go to the gourmet grocery store up the street.

By Nate on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 02:15 pm:

you can't get coconut milk in a regular grocery store? what the fuck kind of place do you live in?

By Spider on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 02:28 pm:

I live in Maryland. Fucknut.

God, where's Margret?

By Spider on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 02:29 pm:

Nate, I meant that affectionately, btw.

By Nate on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 03:10 pm:

i know, i know.

do you not have "ethnic" foods aisles in your grocery stores?

and your produce sucks, too, right?

why would anyone live anywhere but here?

By droopy on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 03:23 pm:

the place i do my shopping is at a nexus between the old latin-american community and the growing southeast asian community. the produce section at carnival's is like eden.

By Spider on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 03:26 pm:

We have an hispanic food aisle that sells papaya juice...yes, yes...the coconut milk might be there....

By sarah on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 03:50 pm:

rhi, you could probably use half n half instead of coconut milk, if you really can't find coconut milk.

By Spider on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 04:05 pm:

Halfnhalf I have.

By Nate on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 04:11 pm:

sarah advocating dairy. yech.

By cyst on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 04:14 pm:

one could live here. about 50 yards away from me right there's a huge store that is selling fresh lychees for $3.49 a pound. japanese pumpkins, whatever they are, are on special, as is fresh alaskan halibut just flown in. I'm sure they have at least five brands of coconut milk.

By heather on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 04:16 pm:

spider, how far are you from boston?

By Spider on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 04:19 pm:

10 hours or so. Why, you wanna meet me?

My mother lives in Boston. She goes to Northeastern University. However, I believe she'd make a poor substitute for me, if I may have the nerve to say so, so I don't recommend that you look her up.

By sarah on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 04:27 pm:

no way in HELL am i advocating milk. i'm just saying if she can't find coconut milk, there is an alternative. i was actually going to suggest soy milk, but it's too watery.

By sarah on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 04:27 pm:

i get really jealous when sorabjiites meet and i can't be there.

By heather on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 04:29 pm:

of course

i've wanted to meet you for ages

you were always a well written character in a book whose words aren't written down yet.
    that sounds cheesy but, wtf.

really. feeling massachusetts. those young girl not quite rock stars. not that young, really. but that feeling. i'll shut up now.

do you visit your mother?

By cyst on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 04:36 pm:

ok, I went over and checked.

note: this does not include coconut juice, coconut cream, coconut sport, coconut sport balls, coconut sport strings, coconut meat, powdered coconut, etc. but

there are SIX brands of canned coconut milk there:

chaokoh
    royal blossom
    savoy
    aroy-d
    madame wong
    mae ploy

I bought bing cherries and a banana.

By Spider on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 04:44 pm:

Heather, I forgot! I'm going to Boston in August. August 13-17 or thereabouts. We could meet then!

By Nate on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 05:03 pm:

hooray. heather can drink you under the table, too.

maybe it's a west coast thing, cyst. i could live in seattle. i knew that already, i just forgot.

i lived in woodinville briefly. woodenville? wankerville. always.

By patrick on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 05:35 pm:

i think it may be nate.

specialty foods are not as available as they are here. hippies and west coast types demand more.

yeah me too sarah, i get jealous.

besides movies and nate heather, tell us about waht you did and saw out here? It's beautiful up that way, did you get to the beach?

By cyst on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 05:36 pm:

woodinville. hmm. since I didn't grow up here. I haven't spent much time in any of the suburbs.

seattle weather generally sucks. this place is expensive and cold -- it doesn't have much to recommend it to most, I think.

but, yeah, seattle and the bay area (and also l.a. and vancouver and portland) are going to have larger asian food selections than anywhere else on the continent. pacific rim trading, large asian populations, affluent consumers, etc. I would miss all the good thai food if I left.

By heather on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 05:46 pm:

super trees and sun and mountains. and a place to see them from. it was a trick.

i saw my sister. her fiance. they are strange together to me.
    she took me horseback riding. i used to really like it [like 15 years ago. jesus am i that old?] but after 2 minutes all i could think of was how ridiculous it was. horses. horses that live there and eat stuff and are taken care of, just so dumbasses like me can ride in a circle. but the trails were beautiful. i'd rather have been walking.
    some regular sf stuff.

no beaches

By Nate on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 06:39 pm:

i fucked up on the beaches tip.

i'm more interested in good produce than specialty foods. specialty foods can be ordered.

i guess produce can be too.

By patrick on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 06:48 pm:

nate have you been to big sur?

i don't know how much of a henry miller fan you are, but there is an awesome gallery and library there. You can get prints of some of fine watercolors for reasonable prices.

there is also a wonderful restaurant and inn up there on the hilltop called Ventana....great place for wine and lunch...overlooking the ocean.

By Nate on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 06:52 pm:

the plan was to drive down to slo via hwy 1, which would have taken us through big sur.

but it failed. the plan failed.

By patrick on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:00 pm:

poop. thats a fantastic drive

By Nate on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:05 pm:

yes. and she would have seen beaches.

By heather on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:07 pm:

plus i can make you some fine watercolors for free. i'd rather it be oil though.

By patrick on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:12 pm:

well im sure you can, but you are not henry miller.

By heather on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:16 pm:

yes i am

By Cat on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:23 pm:

In a parallel universe, someone is saying to Henry Miller: "You are not Heather".

I refuse to have a print in my house. I'd rather blank walls than fake art.

By patrick on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:34 pm:

im fine with lithographs. if i can afford an original, sure, but ultimately its the image that makes me happy, not what it rests on.

miller gave most of his watercolors away to his friends and what not, so there arent many originals out there.

a buddy who goes to big sur every year to "retreat" picked up a miller watercolor before people caught on and they started charging mega money for them.

By sarah on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 07:55 pm:

the bay area sucks ass, even the city. big, gigantic, hairy ass. i enjoy short visits, but could never ever live there. *maybe* napa valley. maybe. once you get inland a little bit, you're golden. oh, and i've camped in big sur, and that rocks.

seattle is... is... it's fine. it's not exciting, it's just fine. a bit too full of itself sometimes.

portland rocks the mic.

i'm anxious to explore the south. louisiana and mississippi and tennessee.

By Antigone on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 08:14 pm:

When I was in San Francisco recently, the city had a wonderful effect on me.

It made me think I could fly.

It made me think I should fly.

I'd be walking between hotels at night, going to various technical sessions for the conference I was attending, and I'd get an urge to rise up the side of the buildings, skim along the brick and stone and glass, touching it lightly just to keep my balance. I wanted to look down at the people walking below and listen to their conversations and thoughts.

Something about the city made me think I could do this. Something about the night, the chill, the babbling in many languages I couldn't understand: the language of bums pissing on the street out in the open, of young geeks wandering the streets in packs looking for any kind of stimulation, of the cars trying to navigate streets which intersect at crazy angles in all three dimensions.

A little bit before then and very often since I've been getting constant feelings of deja vu. I've dreamed many moments of the past two months before, in bits and pieces, here and there, over the past decade or so. The past minute was one of those moments. I've written this post before in a dream, years ago.

Something is converging for me, soon. I don't know what.

By Nate on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 08:14 pm:

fuck the napa valley. the napa valley sucks ass.

the bay area is. it can't be beat.

By Traccia on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 08:27 pm:

Nate, perchè appena un temperamento difettoso stasera?

By dave. on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 08:42 pm:

i just drove through once but marin seemed like a little oasis.

seattle sucks. portland kicks seattle's ass. vancouver b.c. kicks portland's ass.

based on places i've been, if i could retire today, it'd be the north shore of oahu or motherfucking new york city. based on places i haven't been, it would be anywhere but on this planet.

sarah, i think i have a picture of myself at bronson's. was it bronson's? hmm. . .

i also went to wisteria when i was there. very lame.

By agatha on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 08:57 pm:

not all prints are the same.

what about woodblock prints? etchings? linoleum cuts? monotypes? drypoint?

would you have one of those?

By agatha on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 08:58 pm:

sorry for the tangent, carry on. i'm sensitive about prints.

By Nate on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 09:39 pm:

that was really nice, antigone. btw.

By Cat on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 09:52 pm:

Fuck. Do I have to defend even my choice in art?

I buy Kleenex brand tissues, is that acceptable?

I was referring to prints in the context of the discussion.

The other types of work you're discussing seem like they could be more classified as original works. I know they're not strictly, but they're a big leap from a lame mass reproduction of a work by a dead artist.

I suppose you're right that I shouldn't take the word "print" in vain. I won't do it again. Ever. Cross my heart and hope to die.

By agatha on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 10:17 pm:

sorry, cat, it's just that i'm a printmaker, and it makes me testy when people use the word print disparagingly. i make my prints with love, dammit!

By Nate on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 10:44 pm:

don't apologize, agatha. cat's just being rude.

By Cat on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 12:46 am:

Another pronouncement from on high. Yippeee!

Did you want a white wig and gavel to go with that burger, Nate?

blahblahblah

By Nate on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 01:34 am:

ah, fuck off cat. you know the only people you can hear are those who are on high along side of you.

i don't eat burgers.

By dave. on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 04:13 am:

would you refuse my bacon cheeseburger deluxe?

it's pure bliss. you got a problem with pure bliss, fucker?

By Cat on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 04:50 am:

Ah go fuck a holy dove.

heh

By Nate on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 10:51 am:

i'm not going to suck your dick, dave. i don't care how blissful you think it is.

By agatha on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 10:59 am:

i realize that nobody cares except for me, but here is a letter from a woman who is saying what i wanted to say about prints:

To: Sunshine Artist, Reader’s Letters
    Re: “The Cruel Rule” on reproductions

I read with amusement the designation of the practice of prohibiting or limiting reproductions as: “the cruel rule.” I am a printmaker, the kind with cherry wood splinters embedded in my hands (I mostly do woodcut prints), over-developed shoulder muscles from rubbing the back of the paper with a baren, and a permanent residue of ink under my fingernails.

First, please understand I have absolutely nothing against painters and watercolorists making reproduction of their works and selling them in the same shows I attend, postcards and all. I too feel that many attendees want to walk away from a booth with something but cannot always afford an expensive original. Lately I have been hand-printing smaller “card-prints” to boost my sales.

I have much against reproductions being called “prints.” Stone/plate lithographs, etchings and engravings, woodcuts and wood engravings, serigraphs and collagraphs…those are prints. I’m not making this up, check the latest issue of Art Law, by the Practicing Institute of Law for complete definitions, born out of litigation. A “limited edition” of 5,000 makes as much sense as buying one of 10,000,000 bean bag babies for their collector’s value. Nothing against disseminating images to those who can’t afford originals, but they are being called “prints,” thereby raising the hairs in the back of many a printmaker’s neck. The fault mostly lies with the printing industry found out they could make reproductions for dollars, sell them to artists for much much more than that, who then have to cover their costs by selling them for more than a copper engraver could ever sell a drypoint. A printmaker is left trying to educate the public on an issue that is so deliberately confused that we are the ones left looking like we’re nuts.

So what’s my point? When you feel that no-reproductions-allowed is “a cruel rule,” think of this:
    - - I now have to call my works “limited edition original fine woodcut prints” which no longer fits on my business card. There was a time in the art world when saying the word “print” already implied such qualifiers.
    - - Had painters and watercolorists called their reproductions ‘reproductions’ from the beginning, there would be no need for a “cruel rule” today.
    - - People walk into my booth and expect a wood engraving which took 40 hours to engrave to be sold for $12.00 because it is, after all, an 8” x 10”.
    - - I could call my oil-based ink prints, “original oil-on-paper works” and sell them for twice the price thereby still beating out any oil painter in the circuit. People would then wonder why that original oil in that other booth should be worth more than mine. But I don’t do that, because that would be artificially placing a higher value on a work that does not merit the name. And that, you see, would be wrong.

A print is a print. A reproduction is a reproduction. It is about time that the finer shows are finally making the distinction between works of art and mass produced (no matter how carefully and expensively) reproductions.

Respectfully,
    Maria Arango, Printmaker
    www.1000woodcuts.com

By heather on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 11:12 am:

i care

the world is full of ignorant cheap-ass people [and i don't mean to imply patrick]

By me again on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 11:13 am:

and i don't think cat was being mean. i think she was saying the same thing

By patrick on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 11:33 am:

thats ok heather.

nate quit your bitchin...if anyone is getting their shit fucked its me.

By patrick on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 11:36 am:

and im not sure how and or why i would be implied in this. I referred to prints correctly, according to this post by agatha.

in my work though...saying prints means originals.

Mapplethorpe started out as a photographist, making images with other people's photographs. Collages. I respect the craft agatha and moreso your emphasis. it's good to be authoratative on something, I think.

By Nate on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 11:50 am:

i don't care if anyone gets their shit fucked more than i. how unimportant is that?

everything cat says is mean and rude. when it doesn't seem to be, you have to assume it is going over your head.

By agatha on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 12:25 pm:

thanks for caring, heather and patrick. it just frustrates me that when i tell people i do printmaking, they say "oh, you mean, like, digital?"

not that there's anything wrong with digital art, but when i slave over a woodcut for days, and then nobody has a clue of what it is that i do, which is in fact one of many age old techniques, it makes me pissy. that's all.

By Nate on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 12:52 pm:

why don't you just call yourself a fine art printer? no one confuses digital art with fine art.

By agatha on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 01:01 pm:

you're so wrong, nate. people confuse them constantly.

By sarah on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 01:09 pm:

i want a bacon cheeseburger o' bliss and i care very much about printmaking, and art. i'd love to see some of your prints, agatha.

By patrick on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 01:18 pm:

constantly nate. constantly.

By Nate on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 01:20 pm:

fuck art and fuck artists. this goddamn need to label is ruining everything important.

By agatha on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 01:23 pm:

it's the mislabeling that sucks.

(heather, please go back to cali. nate's getting difficult to live with.)

By Nate on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 01:27 pm:

i'll just go away.

and not in the i'm pissed off at sorabji.com i'm going away kind of way.

or in the i'm not going away, i'm just not posting so please say nice things about me kind of way.

or in the i'm never coming back kind of going away.

please. continue as normal.

By sarah on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 01:39 pm:

nate, you're descending... you're experiencing transference.

what agatha said.

aren't you glad you have the foundation of sage sorabjiite psychology to help you get through it all? whooo boy.

By sarah on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 01:39 pm:

btw, i feel barfing coming on. shit.

By patrick on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 01:40 pm:

its like confusing homemade lemonade for canned. has nothing to with a need for labeling as it does a respect for a craft.

By semillama on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 03:00 pm:

I feel shitting coming on. Barf.

By I aint tellin on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 03:04 pm:

i feel like barfing on cum. shit

By Cat on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 05:04 pm:

"everything cat says is mean and rude."

What a mean and rude thing to say.

By Platypus on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 09:31 pm:

Hold on, Sarah.

I get irritated about the print thing too, since although I mostly make broadsides, I do woodblocks also. And people confuse various methods of printing all the time. For example, I work in a printshop.

People assume I work for a newspaper. I don't. I don't even work for a lithographer. I don't work for an offset printers. I don't work at an intaligo printers. I work at a letterpress print shop, but since most people don't even know what letterpress is, I have to explain my job for half an hour whenever someone asks me what I do. Oh well, I guess I chose this job.

Oh, and I HATE the Napa valley. The Napa valley is a big fat pile of SHITE.

By patrick on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 06:35 pm:

ohh fooey

By agatha on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 07:53 pm:

that's a girl.

except, i think sarah really was going to puke. she's been puking lately a lot. i don't think she was puking in reference to my printing rant.

we can rant anyhow, though! it's the weekend, and i have allergies, and i am pms, and i have been cleaning, so i think a good rant session is in order.

By patrick on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 11:42 am:

rant on sister.

By J on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 02:33 pm:

I love watercolors, I bought myself this fantastic art kit at Cosco for my b-day last year,it came in a metal case and it had absolutely everything,then I bought special paper and some how to books.Funny thing is,everytime I opened it up,I was in such awe,I didn't want to mess anything up,ended up giving it to Jerry for Christmas,and the paper.I thought I could just go back and get another one,but they stopped selling them,I'm hoping they will have them again this fall.There is a Trader Joes,and a Cost Plus by me,and this huge ass asian market that I could walk to if it wasn't so hot,they have fruits and vegetables that I have never seen before,and tanks of live fish,it doesn't get fresher than that here.I like to just go and look around.

By wisper on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 05:11 pm:

i know the feelng J.
    I bought a largeass set of water-mixable oil paint a few months ago and i opened it and didn't dare touch them for weeks. They smell so good.

I just ran out to my car to rescue my gouache tubes that i forgot in the backseat. It's so hot out there i feared they would be destroyed. The fuckers. If you don't know what gouache is, concider yourself a lucky bastard. It smells like chalk and ass, and it controls YOU, not the other way around. For a moment i considered leaving them all there to die, but there is nothing worse than coming across dead art supplies. That's the kind of thing that could really get to you. Especially since these pain jems in paint form cost $6-$12 per 14ml tube. Yes, 14ml. Just slightly larger than your average lip gloss tube.
    Don't even ask how much the titanium white and crimson red cost.
    I hate them, but i love them too. They're on my desk and i'm fretting over them like a mother hen. Please cool down, please? I'm sorry about all those things i said. Don't die....

i know of printmaking. It is a fine and respectable craft indeed.

i have never heard a Gratefull Dead song.

By J on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 02:36 am:

Oh,Whisper,tell me your joshing,you never heard Trucking? The Captain Trips would just die.

By sarah on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 10:25 pm:

holy fuck a moley.

that's all i have to say.

By Prepcook on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 09:52 pm:

im looking for a women

By heather on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 10:39 pm:

me too!

loves them womens

By wisper on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 02:05 pm:

i like this thread,i'm going to bookmark it.
    I've been bookmarking a lot of old threads lately.

"you got a problem with pure bliss, fucker?"
    -dave

that's super:)

gouache still sucks. i stopped using it.

By dave. on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 05:26 pm:

old threads scare me.

By Anitgone on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 05:45 pm:

Old threads are great.

This one reminds me of the last time I talked to Cat on the phone, sitting in my apartment complex parking lot in Birmingham.

By agatha on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:08 am:

See, that's why I don't talk about art. How embarrassing.

By J on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 11:35 am:

Where is Cat? I miss her,espeacially when I'm drunk.

By patrick on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 12:58 pm:

there's nothing embarrasing agatha. i like seeing you stand up once in a half decade.

since the 'print' discussion I've bought a few reproductions of some Rothko paintings. They are nicely framed.

and I could go for a cheeseblissburger right now.

By Cat on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:11 am:

I am right here, J. Look down, a little bit to the right of your left foot and I'm there - looking up your skirt.

Thanks for remembering.

Man, I was a major bitch in this thread. Well, probably not just in this particular thread. I still like paint on my art though.

By sarah on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 12:26 pm:

heather

By V.v. on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 05:15 am:

Bon appetit.

By semillama on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 04:32 pm:

Hi cat.

I saw Diego Rivera murals in Mexico City.

By Anitgone on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 05:03 pm:

This is like a 4 dimensional sorabji fractal, here.

d00d...

By semillama on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 05:55 pm:

DooD.

Soon, but not now, I will find time to talk about Kazu and me in Mexico.

In short, it was freaking awesome. Two weeks, no fast food restaurants, no billboards, no neon signs, lots of live music and great food. I gained like ten pounds and climbed the third largest pyramid in the world.

Everyone should spend at least two weeks in Mexico. But not all at once.

Did I miss anything good or dumb? or good and dumb?

By sarah on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 06:33 pm:

glad you had such a great time. post pics!

d and i are going to mexico for a week in february. last time i was there was 1990, i stayed in cancun and visited the ruins at chichiniza, or however you spell it.

what do you recommend?

By dave. on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 07:03 pm:

By Antigone on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 07:29 pm:

"The rate of eruption declined steadily until the last 6 months of the eruption when violent explosions were frequent and violent."

That cool page is nifty and cool!

By agatha on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 10:50 pm:

Thanks, Patrick. I try to avoid having outbursts like that all the time. I don't want people to think I'm difficult, after all. Heh.

I want to go to Mexico. My school is having a class in Romania, and I'm fantasizing about taking it.

By semillama on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 12:02 pm:

I recommend not going to Cancun again. I can only speak for the central highlands, but I had a great time there. I strongly recommend a few days in Mexico City to see the sights. Go to the Palacio National to see the Diego Rivera murals, and then up the block to the ruins of Templo Mayor, which was the main temple of the Aztec city of Tenochtitlan. This is all at the Zocalo, which is the central square of old Mexico City. We stayed near there in the Hotel Gillow, which was a nice place and had stations on each floor where you could get purified water. Lots of good restaurants around there too. Try the hot chocolate - incredible. The coffee everywhere we ate in Mexico City was incredible too, but average in San Miguel. Also check out the National Museum of Anthropology, but give yourself about half a day to see it. I had an hour and a half and had to rush by a lot of stuff and skip several rooms :(

Outside of Mexico City, you definitely have to go to Teotihuacan and climb the Pyramid of the Sun. It's the third biggest pyramid on the planet, and the rest of the site is astounding. At one point, it was the biggest city on the planet. Tula is worth seeing too, for the carvings and the giant statues.

I highly recommend San Miguel for relaxing, great food, and if you like artists' markets.

I'm going to look into finding a place to post my photos soon. Patrick, does the place that you use to post your baby photos cost anything?

By patrick on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 01:05 pm:

no, its free sem.

"I don't want people to think I'm difficult"
    Um, agatha, you could take a crap on the front desk, piss in my bed and throw eggs at my cats and I wouldnt think your difficult. most would agree im sure. ya dig?

its ok to stick your neck out from time to time. unlike me, when you do, people are more likely to pay attention.

By wisper on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 06:38 pm:

you were not being difficult agatha, just factual :)

the prints vs prints thing bothers me too :)

By agatha on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 05:46 pm:

I was kidding, but thanks for the compliment. I think?

I had a roommate whose cats would piss on my bed all the time. It really blew, considering the fact that I only had one change of bedding at that point in my life. Now we have two sets of sheets- living the high life, we are.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact