How do you pronouce that?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: How do you pronouce that?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spunky on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

OK, since Sorabji seems to be filled with all these friggin grammar and spelling perfectionists, how do you pronounce GRZYWACZ?

By droopy on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 04:18 pm:

greasy wacks.

By semillama on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 04:51 pm:

By patrick on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 05:07 pm:

who cares...pronounce it how ever you want and words can also mean anything you too. words are free unlike some people.

By Cat on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 05:22 pm:

If words can mean anything you want, why don't you just interpret my criticism of your use of irony as a compliment on your cock?

I've read and enjoyed hundreds and hundreds of your posts, but as soon as I correct a common misconception in one, you go thermal. Wow.

I thought you were bigger than that or I would never have said anything.

By patrick on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 05:45 pm:

its not that i went thermal because of that, you've just been cranky and a downright drag. just about every post is a criticism of the last..or a complaint of some sort.

its just tiring, because i see your name and i wonder what you'll be bitching about next.

and this bothers me because i too have loved what you say, how you say it and whom you say it too. A woman with a razor for a tongue is very appealing to me...thats why ive always dug margret and you as well and this affection comes with the knowledge that it can be used against me. Thats ok, its worth it when you are ripping someone else a new asshole.

i meant it when i said i was comfortable with my usuage of the word ironic.

Im mostly comfortable with my grammatical errors as well.

Its not important to me.

What i said to trace actually stemmed from my thoughts of a book im currently reading. In Watermelon Sugar by Brautigan.

Here he is speaking of talking tigers, streams and trees in the living room, sleeping in beds w/ watermelontrout sheets, everything being made of watermelon sugar, working at the watermelon sugar factory where everyday they make a different color watermelon sugar because everytday the sun is a different color and so on. It's a very surreal book, as he is a very surreal writer, and yet his simplicity and bright imagination are some of the most beautiful in 20th century writing.

A lot of my personal writings in the past were more about phoenetics and visual aesthetics than meaning. Why does everything have to mean something? Why can't words just be put together side by side, though they may be grammatically incorrect or used in "illegal" context, so fucking what.

So the whole notion is somthing simmering in my head, and was not entirely based on your comments on my usage of the word "ironic"

is your dad better?

By cyst on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 06:05 pm:

the RZ is the hard part. do you know how to pronounce the "r" in "dvorak?" I never really got it, but I used to fake it with an "rzh" sound. duh-vor-zhahk.

GRZYWACZ

"gruh-zhee-vatch" would be my guess.

By cyst on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 06:08 pm:

I've never studied polish or been to poland or anything, but my understanding of the language is that:

the rz is like an r with a hacek over it in czech. so something like r-zh.

the y sounds like ee.

the w sounds like v (as "lech walesa" is pronounced "lek vawensa").

and the cz sounds like ch (as in "czech").

gruh-zhee-vatch.

fuck, I don't know.

By cyst on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 06:18 pm:

By Cat on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 08:29 pm:

I didn't realise I'd been quite so boring.

I shall endeavour to be full of sugar and spice and everything nice, because I only exist to make you happy and your validation is all that really matters to me.

No seriously, don't take me seriously. I'll try to be sweeter, but I'm not promising anything.

I would love to discuss Brautigan, but am editing myself carefully in case you mistake my passionate opinions for rudeness. It's strange that you raise him though, because I feel he is such an ironic poet.

Brautigan is also a prime example of how you need to know the rules before you can break them. You have to be able to spell "mayonnaise" before you can misspell it with dramatic intent (see the final word of "Trout Fishing in America").

By Nate on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 05:13 am:

don't. fuck cat. be yopurself. everyone love you for your opinon.s

By Spanky on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 10:24 am:

drunk, nate?

By Nate on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 11:26 am:

hm. i was. very.

By Spunky on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 11:32 am:

This is a person's last name, and Sem had it correct, with the American version

By Nate on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 12:25 pm:

i'm polish. just like sem.

my grandfather speaks polish. he was born in poland. he speaks japanese, too.

all said, i have no point. i haven't a clue how to pronounce polish. i can't even remember the curse that translates into 'may blue lightining strike you in the head'. i've been taught it hundreds of times. the bulk of the polish i read is on jars of pickles.

but sem now, maybe sem's different. i hear there are whole towns full of polacks in the north.

or maybe i'm just a dupah. (see!? don't even know how to spell it.)

By Rhiannon on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 10:14 am:

Patrick, talk more about "In Watermelon Sugar." I love that book.

By semillama on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 09:08 am:

Not specifically from where I'm from, but lots in the Twin Cities. I besed it on how my Polish relatives pronounce last names, like Gewedik (Juh-WEE-dick) (hee!) which was originally spelled something like Dzwedicz or such.

By patrick on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 12:03 pm:

its life i wish i knew rhiannon. it's life im chasing.

i'm always fond of the way he speaks of the women in his life. he's direct, simple and tender. one of my favorite love scenes happens in this book.

A Love, a Wind

We made long and slow love. A wind came up and the windows trembled slightly, the sugar set fragily ajar by the wind.
    I liked Pauline's body and she that she liked mine, too, and we couldn't think of anything to say.
    The wind suddenly stopped and Pauline said, "Whats that?"
    "Its the wind"

When I read Brautigan I invest my own impressions of northern california. Nico and I have our own watermelon sugar, our visions of iDEATH we are chasing. A house in Big Sur. We dream of it, we visualize it. She woke just this Saturday from a dream of running naked down to the beach. You giggle at first, as did i (when i awoke and shared my simultaneous dream, it involved getting Astro pops at the store and taking them to the party so I can get implicit Polaroids of girls eating Astro pops) but she described a hillside, over looking the ocean, little beach showers at the crest of the hill to rinse off in. The sheer freedom of being naked and no one could care. Can you imagine that? can you truly imagine that spider? The warmth of a setting summer sun, the sound of the ocean, the lights just turning on in the house as our fellow inhabitant Sam finger-stirs his first whisky...the sheer comfort of running buck naked up to our wrap around porch and house...cozy towel-robe with hoods...wine country and big porches, simple and yet such RICH living. This is what we dream of.

When Brautigan speaks of the wind, the sun, the warmth, hills, streams etc. I can see them. Its so very California and it's one of the reasons Im enamored by this place, California.

Have you ever been to northern California spider, or California in general?

Hell, I was just driving to Ventura Saturday and it was magical. I had been looking forward to it all week. Once we shed the skin of LA's western valley and got into the foothills of the mountains out there (Santa Monica range i believe) at sunset Saturday, man, what a beautiful 80mph drive. The hills, the dew, the farms, berries, cherries and grapes everywhere. It's flat and moist in Venutra. The party potato chips get soggy within an hour outside. So much for party potato chips.

I 'm not well traveled in western America, so maybe Im easily amused. But its so much more than the east. It's inspiring. don't get me wrong, Appalachia has its moments, but its never been as inspiring as California. Its taken me a few years to discover this, and Brautigan with his simple life...simple love, simple eating, simple conversation epitomizes california and everything I want from it.

By pez on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 02:18 pm:

any new place can be extremely enjoyable, even if its a crotch in an old tree.

btw, living in fir trees is NOT a good idear.

By on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 06:25 pm:

guh-ZHIH-vatch

By RC on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 03:19 am:

Something's weird.

The New Messages From The Last 24 Hours search engine shows the post above udner MY initials. But I've never posted on this thread...

Methinks an imposter is posting under my initials!

- RC

By dave. on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 04:22 am:

it's a glitch. we call it "gremlins".

By on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 11:38 am:

Gremlins or not, Grzywacz is pronounced guh-ZHIH-vatch.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact