Woo-hoo! I have the keys to my new house!

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Woo-hoo! I have the keys to my new house!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Alex on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 05:25 pm:

Yes! I now have the keys to my student house up in Nottingham! I cant wait to move up there and decorate my room.

A pretty meaningless message i know, but I had to tell some people as im so excited about it!

Sorry

By wisper on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 05:37 pm:

ya for you!
    tell us what it's like, inside and out.

By agatha on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 06:34 pm:

don't apologize around here. you'll be eaten alive.

By Frank on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 10:22 pm:

Alex, I'm afraid your guilt threshold is set too low.
    Excitement is GOOD!

By Czarina on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 11:48 pm:

Is this your first personal domecile?
    Kudos to you!
    How will you decorate?
    Tell us about Nottingham.

Did you ever find a sheriff?Or was that Sherwood Forrest,that for the first time in hundreds of years,didn't have a sherriff,and was accepting applications.[if that position hasn't been filled,perhaps you could consider it for part time employment,while you work your way through school]

By pez on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 02:40 am:

nottingham is a cool place. be sure to visit the robin hood museum (bring nose plugs if youy have a sensitive sense of smell).

By Alex on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 03:23 pm:

Well, my house is in a street which is close to the canal, with its marina and leisure park, so for a student area its quite nice! It used to be a corner shop, but has recently been turned into a house. It unfortunately only has a small yard as the garden has had a garage built on it! I will be sharing it with 5 of my friends and my bedroom is quite big, its blue, but has a rather bright(putting it mildly) carpet, probably dating back to the 70's! Its within walking distance of the city centre! woo-hoo!

We are still waiting to hear from the landlord about how much we can decorate, but if I have permission I will add some darker blue borders to my room and perhaps paint the chimney breast deep blue too. The rest of the house Im not sure about yet as we will have to sit down and talk about it. But Im sure it will be great whatever we do with it!

Nottingham its self is a great city, the alcohol is cheap, the people are really friendly, there are loads of clubs and bars that are all really good.

Actually Nottingham does still have a Sheriff, quite unfortunate really, as Im sure I would have fitted the job perfectly!

Pez, have you visited Nottingham then? My house is near the castle and Maid Marrion way where the museum is.

By pez on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 03:51 pm:

i went there just over two years ago with mys. the band and orchestra played at the castle and it was really cool.

i took tons and tons of pictures but none of my pictures between stirling castle and windsor came out.

stayed at the travelodge there, sharing a parking lot with the horrible fish and chips place. everyone got sick after eating there except the vegetarians. i got really annoying because i laughed at all my friends who were getting sick.

By Alex on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 12:17 pm:

Ah yes the much talked about WAGONS of DEATH, rumour has it that the meat is actually Pidgeon. But no-one sensible eats the meat at those places, all they are good for is chips at the end of drunken nights out. There is one outside Ocean Nightclub.

By Nate on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 12:56 pm:

jesus christ. i can still remember the big ol' greasy salty sour piece of deep fried fish love wrapped in newspaper some paki sold me from a corner store in london.

fucking a.

i ate that paki's fish maybe six times in four days. then i took one hell of a shit.

a big greasy floater.

By J on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 01:02 pm:

And then he wiped his ass with the newspaper.

By agatha on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 01:11 pm:

here in america, we call "chips" "french fries." isn't that odd?

By Alex on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 04:05 pm:

yes how strange, Here french fries are what you get at McDonalds and Burger King, Chips are from chipshops and other places that dont sell skinny chips!

By J on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 04:18 pm:

They are round aren't they?

By Nate on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 04:24 pm:

no, those round things are called crisps or some such.

By Alex on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 04:43 pm:

what?chips? no they are chunky, long and square in section.
    Crisps are kinda round ish

By Alex on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 04:46 pm:

oops yup Nate is right there, sorry i was searching for a photo of some chips but to no avail! Hense the delayed response there

By pez on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 04:50 pm:

crisps are like those canned chips with the man on the front. can't remember the name.

bah. had 'em once, they were terrible. don't get the salt and vinegar crisps while in the u.k., whatever you do.

By heather on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 05:04 pm:

salt and vinegar makes me very happy

By pez on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 05:23 pm:

it's good in potato chip form. crisp form is just plain baaaad.

By Nate on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 05:30 pm:

potato chips are crisps.

By heather on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 05:35 pm:

any way is just plain super

By pez on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 05:46 pm:

nonononono!!!!

there are some american things that are called crisps here and they're made of GROUND potatoes.

they come in a paper tube. and i can't remember the name. they have really stange musical commercials and are all the same size and shape.

By Nate on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 05:47 pm:

pringles.

but yes, in the UK they call potato chips crisps.

that's what we're talking about.

By pez on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 05:56 pm:

pringles!

that's it!

they are nasty.... they taste like assshitfuck.

By crimson on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 06:23 pm:

i feed pringles to my rodents. it's their fave food.

By TBone on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 06:35 pm:

I used to eat eat a lot of pringles a couple years ago. Shortly after eating nearly a whole can of "plain," I succumbed to a stomach flu.

The mere thought of pringles turns my stomach. Especially plain. Urf. I'm a little better than I was a year ago, but talking about them still makes me feel vaguely ill.

A lot of little kids' lunchboxes (which are never metal and sharp-edged any more!) come with these little pringle carrying-case things. You can stow maybe 10 or 20 pringles in there.

I think they have to call them "potato crisps" for some legal reason. Like "pasturized process cheese food."

By agatha on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 07:36 pm:

so, chips are kinda like steak fries? or what?

i always thought chips were french fries.

are they jojos? i love jojos.

By pez on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 09:08 pm:

yum. jojos.

i like to slice potatoes into psydo-jojos and toss them in the oven for an hour.

yummy.

By Daniel ssss on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 10:44 pm:

Pringles make excellent fire starters because they are loaded with grease and or miscellaneous flammable imitation food ingredients.

By Oswald Jr. on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 11:01 pm:

I just tryed it and they stink when you burn them. But its fun. You can burn cofee mate too. I been wanting to burn some kind of picture into this old ladys grass or on her door step she is a bitch I want it to be like a pentgramm or some thing cool that will make her fall over dead. It will be so cool her system can not handle it and she will croak on the spot. The Meat God hath spoken!

By Oswald Jr. on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 11:37 pm:

I have learnt how to do the twist. I am in my jammies dancing like a fool. The music is real old style its a real record player not a C.D. and I will twist the nite away with Dorian. God but we are cool.

By pez on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 01:45 am:

once you know the twist, the paths are open.

the tao of buddy holly.

listen, listen, and you will see.

By heather on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 11:33 pm:

jojos?

By crimson on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 11:43 pm:

jojos kick ass. extra-chunky fries. they somehow transcend normal fries. i've met people who also call them "wedgies"...but i'd feel a bit silly asking the greasy counter clerk at the chicken shack to give me a wedgie.

By Oswald Jr. on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 04:47 pm:

Jojos are real good. But thats not what I had today. I went to a Chineese place with Dorian. My baby took me on a date! I ate like crazy and then had a choclate milk shake later. I did not mean to eat so much but it was real good. We sat at a picknick table in the sun to have milk shakes and there was buterflys all around it made me feel happy like a little kid. And I went to this store & they had music on it was not twist music but I did the twist anyways and it make Dorian smile and these girls come up to me all smiling and telling me I am cool. Some guy comes up to Dorian says he likes his pants we think the guy was queer and maybe try to hit on Dorian. Those pants make your little ass look real hot he says. Well maybe that is not the kind of thing a straight guy says to an other straight guy. We just laugh cause that old fool can not have my man. Dorian is spoke for by the Archbishop of Funk.

By agatha on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 11:50 pm:

jojos are as such:
    1. cut a potato into sixths lengthwise.
    2. batter with a fried chicken type batter
    3. fry, baybee
    4. eat with ketchup and/or tartar sauce and/or steak sauce. mmmmm.

By moonit on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 03:08 am:

no we call em wedges.

and you chuck spices on em.

then deep fry till golden brown.

drew likes em with sour cream (blah)

I like em with relish and a JUMBO COKE

By moonit on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 03:11 am:

Do i have to send you all potato chips (crisps) now too?

mmm salt n vinegar chip sandwhiches

By TBone on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 11:41 am:

I've never had them in sandwiches. I get Tim's Cascade Style SeaSalt and Vinegar chips. They're thicker and REALLY crunchy... So much that they tend to tear up your mouth after a while. They're so good, but they hurt me.

By patrick on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 11:49 am:

i like waffle fries.

and i like shoestring (skinny) fries.

Steaks fries are nice and all too.

hey alex what do you call (what we call) tater tots? You know? Little thumb sized bits.....kind like hasbrowns rolled into a nice round 1" bit?

maybe you call em tater tots too?

Surely we can find some common ground in the spud department.

Otherwise its war all over again, and we're bigger than you.

By pez on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 11:57 am:

tim's or kettle chips.

otherwise they're no good.

By wisper on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 06:03 pm:

one night i spent almost an hour trying to describe tater tots to some people in Sweden. They told me what they were eating, i told them what i was eating, and i swear to god they were talking about the same thing. They had a near-perfect grasp of english, but some cooking terms for translation had to be described in long, lengthily stories. Like the difference between frying something in a deep fryer, and simply frying it in a pan with butter or oil. In the end i just told them they were fucking eating Tater Tots and that was that.
    aaaaaaah, IRC.
    Last week i damn near ran my car off the highway collector ramp when i realized that what they had described was perogies, not tater tots. Of course it's been years since then and i've lost all contact with these poor souls, so i have no chance of apology.

BUG, MALK, ANTIG, IM SORRY, YOU WERE NOT EATING TATER TOTS

By agatha on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 09:50 pm:

they call tater tots "mexi-nuggets" in england.

By Platypus on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 10:33 pm:

How revolting.

By wisper on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 11:32 pm:

it could be worse.
    it could be "maxi-nuggets"

By Pupchop on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 11:43 pm:

My rodents' favorite food is any landscaping
    material that costs more than $20 per plant.

By Nelly on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 11:56 pm:

Oh, God.

i remember doing a part in a friend's play, we were playing babies that had this demonic mommy, and I had to be spoon fed cold tater tots with ketchup every night. took every ounce of method acting skill to keep from retching by the last night

why do you do this to me

By patrick on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 11:13 am:

whats a "highway collector ramp" ? Im particularly confused by the "colleecter" aspect.

By wisper on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 01:00 pm:

what are you, Swedish?

highway- really really hugeass road, a.k.a. expressway
    +
    collector- the entrance lanes that connect to a highway from smaller roads, run beside it momentarily, then merge with it. Also called 'collector lanes'. The opposite of an 'exit lane'.
    ie) "Traffic report this hour....QE backed up past Dixie...eastbound express moving slow, collectors moving well..."
    +
    ramp- an ascending or descending plane

=
    highway collector ramp- a ramp that you drive down (or up) to get onto the highway.

By TBone on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 01:03 pm:

You crazy canadians... That's an on-ramp.

By patrick on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 01:06 pm:

never have i ever heard it called a collector. i know what a highway is...ergo i specified the "collector" part.

a vacuum is a collector. comic books and stamps are for collectors. that, like homey says is a ramp...the on-ramp off-ramp. if its on the same level as the freeway...its an entrance and exit. It doesnt collect anything.

fucking weirdos

By wisper on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 02:18 pm:

they collect CARS, filthy american pigdogs!
    major highways are divided in two parts- the express and the collector, with 2-4 lanes each.
    The express is the main part, but to exit the highway you have to go into the collector lanes until you get to your exit. Or if you’re sneaky you can just stay in the collector side the whole time until you reach your destination, thusly avoiding the major volume of traffic. Do you have these? what do you call that side of the highway?
    They are called collectors because every car that wants on the highway has to go through that side first. Therefore, the ramps (“on-ramps”) used to get to them are collector ramps.

and truthfully, i don’t talk about them enough to know what the general term is. Usually it’s just a ramp.

ramp is a cool word. Say it a couple times. Bask in it.

By patrick on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 02:34 pm:

in downtown settings we have those....where there are many exits in a short distance....1st Ave, 2nd Ave, 3rd Ave etc. And yes you can be sneaky and scoot thru....but they usually have signs saying "Thru Traffic Ok" so it aint so sneaky.

But generally speaking, most exits and entrances dont have them...just a ramp and GO!

On this older freeway here in LA called the Arroyo Seco Parkway...CA first freeway between LA and Pasadena....it squirms through the hillsides. Its such a tight freeway and the entrance ramps were clearly not made for cars going 70mph...they literally are a stopsign and you have about 50-100ft to get up to speed and hope the a-hole approaching can slow enough to let you in.

Some of the freeways ramps in San Fran, being so crammed and tight, not to mention elevated and old are like that as well. Just PUNCH IT and hope for the best.

Junkyards, dealers and antiquarians collect cars silly girl.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 02:35 pm:

we have lanes.

occasionally some lanes are designated HOV or Carpool lanes. sometimes these lanes are on the left, sometimes on the right, sometimes they have divders between them and the other lanes, sometimes they don't.

rich american pigdogs collect cars. roads don't collect cars.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 02:36 pm:

SEE? AMERICANS IN UNISON.

By Chupacabra on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 02:50 pm:

Rich American pigdogs collect goats

FOR ME TO SUCK ON!!!!

By patrick on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 03:01 pm:

you really should go have lunch now.

you smell too.

By DoonBuggy on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 05:22 pm:

By Nate on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 05:28 pm:

that's not proof.

calling our on-ramps and off-ramps highway collector ramps is like calling that hangy thing in the back of your throat "tonsils"

By patrick on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 05:35 pm:

thats where i grew up. Gwinnett county.

By Platypus on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 05:49 pm:

Dialect. It's an ON RAMP where I live, damnit.

Stupid people who want to sound affected say "collector ramp" (if they're in the US, I'm not implying that wisper is stupid). Just like stupid people who want to sound affected say "thou" instead of "you" like regular people, even though "thou" is technically the plural/formal form of you--i.e. y'all.

By DoonBuggy on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 06:09 pm:

are you afraid of the big words, or the people who use them? because you sound more opposed to the "people who want to sound affected" than the actual use of the word.

its a collector ramp. thats the right term. i use the term "on/off-ramp" as well. its simple, its easy, and i actually like it better. but i wont defend it with the word "dialect". just because a term is common doesnt make it right. i was saying wisper is right because she is. now stop being so proud, just say you prefer the new, simple, common (and wrong, but who cares - it doesnt make a difference) term of "on/off ramp" and be done with it.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 06:14 pm:

you're flawed, buddy. if there are no collector lanes, there are no collector ramps.

pretty simple, eh, hoser?

By wisper on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 06:22 pm:

Nate's got it.

And if there's no ramp, it's just an exit. Or an entrance.
    And if there's a ramp but no collector lanes, it's an off-ramp or on-ramp, unless you're in canada, where no one is sure what they're called.

....yeah....i think that's it.

By wisper on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 06:22 pm:

can i go home now?

By DoonBuggy on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 06:22 pm:

By Nate on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 06:44 pm:

silicon valley

from the first link:

"Collector/Distributor Road = Improves traffic flow by collecting multiple ramp entrances into one entrance location onto the freeway or collects multiple ramp exits into one exit location off the freeway. This type of road is physically separated from the adjacent highway lanes of traffic by a concrete barrier, except at the location where traffic from the collector/distributor road joins the main highway lanes of traffic."

By Nate on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 06:46 pm:

By wisper on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 07:04 pm:

tater tots

By Nate on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 07:07 pm:

FUCK TATOR TOTS GODDAMNIT.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 07:15 pm:

BRING ME MY FUCKING GRITS.

By DoonBuggy on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 07:16 pm:

By Nate on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 07:26 pm:

wtf. were you captian of the city planning team in highschool? WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?

there is no mention of a collector ramp in any of those (bottom three) documents. i've not seen a collector/distributer road thinger in the area.

By TBone on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 07:35 pm:

Montana. Find a collector lane here, buddy.

We do have gravel/dirt/grass -covered overpasses for cows though.

By Cat on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 01:35 am:

"no collector lanes or ramps where you live? just name your location and i'll find one."

Cunnamulla, Australia.

Good luck mate.

By pez on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 03:16 am:

i think i know what collector lanes are.

we've got a few in pdx, city of confusing roads.

it's sortof hard to describe. i'll go drive a little tomorrow and then talk about it.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 08:46 am:

How can it be the Right Term if no one uses it?

I've come to believe that spoken language trumps written language. It's older, after all, and it's what people actually use.

Insisting on using the so-called "right" term for on-ramps is like insisting that you refer to teh proper names of the bounty hunters in "The Empire Strikes Back" instead of just calling them the bounty hunters.

Although, I can name a few - Bossk, IG-88, Boba Fett, but who the hell was that guy with the bandages? Oh, yeah, K'laekto Raampu.

By TBone on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 10:07 am:

Criminy. They had names?

I think Portland has collector lanes. Damn things set me back half an hour because they whisked me away from the highway I had just spent an hour trying to locate after being on it for only 10 seconds.

By Antigone on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 10:45 am:

"Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanicconiosis" is the Right Term, but nobody uses it.

"Floccipoccinihilipilification" sucks ass.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 11:45 am:

i agree with you on that sem, re: spoken vs written. cultural slang words get into dictionarys by verbal usage over time, words such as "doh!" and "def" were all added to the dictionary on the last 10 years due to verbal use.

By Nate on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 12:21 pm:

my cat took a shit and it smells really really bad in here.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 12:28 pm:

You know what's neat? When you hear someone mispronounce a word in such a way that you know they've seen the word in print but have never heard it spoken. That tells you something about the culture they live in and the way they have been educated.

By Hal on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 12:32 pm:

Quit feeding your pussy shit nate, and it won't smell so bad.

By TBone on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 12:37 pm:

I've run into that a few times myself, Spider. Every once in a while, I'll go to use a word that's easily within my written and reading vocabulary, and realize that I have no idea how it's really pronounced.

Usually people get confused because I'll stop min-sentance and get a surprised look on my face. They usually look over their shoulder.

By Platypus on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 12:50 pm:

Yes. It will be noted that there are many words in "American English" which do not appear in other versions of English.

Am I wrong to call my trunk a trunk, rather than a boot, which is something you put on your foot? No. When a word is spoken often enough, it passes out of the realm of slang. It's how LANGUAGES and dialects develop, you dipshit.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 01:22 pm:

i was watching a PBS doc. on Mt Shasta and all the conflict between the proposed ski resort, the native tribe there (whos name i forget) and the new agers who come to this one spring, that is sacred to the native american tribe.

i thought of you

By wisper on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 06:03 pm:

this is what a highway with collector lanes looks like:
    (427 North)
    (401)
    (401 again)

Starting at the bottom, right to left you will see... curving entrance ramp going into... north collector lanes, then northbound express, southbound express, south collector lanes, and maybe a southbound exit curving off.
    (many examples because they keep changing the cameras on me)

and congrats to sem for somehow working Star Wars into this

By patrick on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 07:18 pm:

look like on ramps to me

By Nate on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 08:10 pm:

they are on-ramps. but they're on-ramps onto collector roads, so they are collector ramps.

an on-ramp is a ramp you use to get onto something. like a highway or a collector road.

this is really, really simple. provided you weren't born a fucko.

By Platypus on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 10:52 pm:

You thought of me, Patrick? I'm...flattered? Confused.

By patrick on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 11:39 am:

i wondered if you were one of those new agey freak-hippies who were desecrating the Mt.Shasta sacred spring with their imitation native american rituals and running around naked. The Wintoo (sp?) tribe i believe it was.

yes i thought of you. not necessarily naked.

what are you doing up there?

By Platypus on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 04:12 pm:

I'm nowhere near Shasta, actually, and if I was a new age freak, I would be ashamed to admit it..."sacred spring." New age people frighten me very much indeed.

I'm not up to a whole lot, actually. I'm just sort of bumbling along. Stil printing, and I'm going to crisis counselor training in the fall--I'm going to take some shifts on the Project Sanctuary hotline. I sort of feel like I need to do something that's benefiting humanity or something.

And I have a well, not a spring. Although I could try dancing naked around the pumphouse and see if that improves my water pressure...

By patrick on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 05:08 pm:

hmmm i thought you were.

fort bragg....ahh yes..i recall now.

actually i saw a blurb on pbs about the beaches up that way....how there was so much glass and trash on the beaches that its actually integrated in the landscape.

By Alex on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 12:57 pm:

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I have been on holiday for a week!

As far as Tater Tots are concerned I have never seen anything like them! and have never heared of mexi-nuggets! The closest we have to them are called potato-croquettes and they are just mashed potato coated in breadcrumbs, no seasoning.

As for collector ramps, we call them slip-roads and slip-lanes

By Alex on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 01:06 pm:

I like pringles!
    Sour cream and onion flavour. The salt and vinegar ones taste nasty!

Perhaps ours are made differently. The ones I have in front of me are made in Belgium.
    mmmm....maltodextrin.

By Platypus on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 01:57 pm:

We have several beaches that used to be dumps, and because they were dumps back into the 1850s, there's all sorts of metal and glass embedded into the sedimentary rock.

"Glass Beach" is actually the most famous beach like that-it was a dump until the 1950's and the entire beach is made up of tiny pieces of really smooth glass. It's really cool.

There actually isn't very much trash on the beaches, because the dirty hippies keep going and cleaning it all up. Sometimes there are dead whales, though. Do whales count as trash?

By dave. on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 02:04 pm:

i think dead whales are closer to garbage, offal, or rubbish than trash.

By Czarina on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 11:33 am:

Well,thats just not a very pleasant thought.
    But my thoughts are not very pleasant at present.
    I am totally confused.Maybe I should be posting in drunking ramblings.

I am not very happy.I could go so far,as to say, I am quite unhappy.Its time for things to change.
    Where is J,when I need her?
    I just may be moving to Costa Rico,5 years earlier than I planned.She is there,looking at properties.I should have made this trip with her.

By semillama on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 03:04 pm:

oh, dear, czarina. hope things change. a good dose of sorabjifest should help, but that's two months away yet.

By NZA on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 07:47 pm:

Salt & vinegar - yechhh

Tastes the same as the smell of silicone sealant - once you make that connection, you can never eat salt and vingar anything!

By Alex on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 02:58 pm:

eugh! Acetic acid!, if I have spelled that right?
    aw, and it was my favourite flavour of crisp!

I have just spent the day at Ikea(you have that in the USA dont you?) buying stuff for my new house. They had closed the restaurant damn them! I nearly died of starvation(slight exaggeration perhaps) by the time we found the 'Bistro' downstairs, eugh - warm Pepsi`and crunchy hot dogs,
    Still I have come away with a large quantity of strangly named products, so all in all it was a good day.

By agatha on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 12:16 am:

i heart ikea. don't buy any of their couches, though. they suck.

By Alex on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 12:20 pm:

yeah, and dont buy any of the sandwiches from the bistro, I have a tummy bug now from the warm congealed mayo in my chicken and bacon salad sandwich! grrrrrr

By wisper on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:40 pm:

i have a large set of those wire shelving units from Ikea, the ones that come in chrome or black and the chrome ones look like shopping carts. Shopping cart shelves. But i have the black ones.
    When i went to get them someone said "they look like garage storage" but once they were up with stereo and computer equipment and books and the infinite art supplies, they look painfully modern in my ultra-tacky place.
    And my god they were cheap. And you can change their layout at will. It is some fine fucking shelving, i tell you what.

By Alex on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 07:21 pm:

is that the stuff where the shelves are held in place by sort of friction thingys? like a little plastic bit that slots into the bits that go on the tubes of the legs? (boy am I crap at explaining!) -i bet you havnt a clue what im trying to say do you? cos im having enough trouble trying to figure it out!

By wisper on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 01:43 am:

that is exactly the ones i am talking about, my good man.

fine fucking shelving

By Spider on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 08:23 am:

I just bought 4 kitchen chairs from IKEA. $15 each. Bright red plastic chairs. They're awesome.

My favorite piece of furniture is from IKEA. It is a small, bright orange, triangular table. Did you get that? BRIGHT ORANGE and TRIANGULAR. It was $7. SEVEN. I mean, that is so cool!

By Alex on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 01:06 pm:

they had those when i went the other day, they had them in blue and orange £6!!!
    and they had little stools for £3!

By Spider on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 01:15 pm:

Hey, I think I have some of those little stools! I can't remember how much I paid for them, but we've got 5 in our apartment.

I bought a blue one, and I spray-painted the other one orange. We've also got 3 that we spray-painted silver: one has words painted all over it, the other's got a heart (anatomically correct) on it, and the other one has a leg in a red stocking on it. They're neat.

By Alex on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 01:20 pm:

they are indeed!
    they had these cool but strange things on sale as well they were little slipper/shoes/funny feet that you could put on chair or table legs!

By Nate on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 01:52 pm:

holy shit spider, your decor sounds annoying as fuck!

i mean, i'm sure you dig it and all. just my opinion.

ikea cracks me up. you all crack me up.

i've never bought furniture that i actually picked out. how sad is that?

By Spider on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 02:11 pm:

It's not annoying, you bloody sod, it's festive.

The orange tables are by my bed, the blue stool holds up the TV, and the silver stools are stands for plants on the balcony. Discreet locations, all.

By Alex on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 02:45 pm:

My dream is to one day have a house of my own, thats light and airy filled with Ikea furniture!

someday............

By droopy on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 02:51 pm:

la araña no es molesta, ella es festiva.

que es bueno.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 03:30 pm:

no need to call names, spider. obviously you like it. i think it would be annoying.

though it just occurred to me that this is how i decorated my house in college. back when i was... 23, 24.

ah ha!

all you need now is to smoke a little dope. or a lot of dope.

and hang up some blacklights. i bet your house would look wickedawesome with some blacklights.

By wisper on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 04:20 pm:

full Ikea houses scare me. Like that scene in Fight Club. They're too....something.
    Possibly beige. Goddamn i hate beige.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 04:25 pm:

ikea nesting

i've watched fight club three times in six weeks span.

perhaps this means something.

By TBone on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 05:52 pm:

That's what I first thought of when the word Ikea was mentioned. "The Ikea nesting instinct."

But I don't think I was aware of Ikea before fight club.

By Dougie on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 06:42 pm:

I got a beechwood "entertainment center" from Ikea. Thing's a fucking behemoth, but it fits all my cd's up top, my LPs down below, and has a nice glass cabinet thingy going across the top which I've done up nicely in a nautical motif. Also fits my stereo, and some nice old books I never read but have on display. I've also got a beechwood computer desk on which I'm writing this, and a big ass dresser, and my nightstands on either side of the bed are pine. That's all I've got from Ikea. The rest of the stuff is either from Lazyboy, from assorted antique stores, or shit my parents have given me. They gave me a beautiful cherry wood drop leaf dining table which I've fucked up the finish on by leaving magazines on it etc. I'll have to strip it and re-finish it someday. Also, I've got a bookshelf from the Door Store (not sure if that's still in business.)

By semillama on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 08:55 am:

The next piece of furniture I need is some sort of counter/shelf thing I can use to replace the card table my coffee maker, microwave, and clothes iron sits on now.

I don't really have room for a kitchen table in my apt. The kitchen is badly designed for modern appliances.

By Platypus on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 01:55 pm:

The last piece of furniture I bought was probably built by 8 year old Thai children.

But it's still really cool. It's a big teak bookshelf that folds up! It's very exciting.

I just discovered that my kitchen has an ironing board built into the wall. That's pretty trippy.

By Nate on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 02:07 pm:

trippy that it's there, or trippy that you just discovered it?

By Platypus on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 02:16 pm:

Both.

By heather on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 02:31 pm:

don't listen to nate
    or at least don't be offended

i've seen his furniture

By Nate on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 03:01 pm:

not really my furniture.

"i've never bought furniture that i actually picked out. how sad is that?"

shouldn't be offended anyway.

By Nate on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 03:05 pm:

oh yeah, and FUCK YOOOOOOOOO.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 03:48 pm:

You started it.

By Nate on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 03:54 pm:

started what?

does your house look cool with blacklights, spider?

By Spider on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 04:31 pm:

It doesn't have blacklights! Look, I'll take pictures of it and send them to you so you can see our decor for yourself - how's that?

By Nate on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 05:27 pm:

get blacklights! get a day-glo bong with an alien head base!

By TBone on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 05:28 pm:

I have a string of christmas-light-style blacklights if you want 'em. The big bulb kind.

By moonit on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 02:57 am:

At xmas, mum tried to by me a lamp. I said no. She asks me what i want for my birthday, i say
    Drivers license stuff - cause I want to finally be brave and get it.

she gets me

a freakin

plastic

dolphin

LAMP

By Platypus on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 12:46 pm:

You don't have a license yet, moonit?

Maybe the lamp is like a bath bead--if you throw it in water, it will turn into a plastic dolphin car?

By Spider on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 01:37 pm:

No blacklights. I do have a lava lamp, though. A pink one. In my room. It was a birthday present. Two months ago.

By moonit on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 02:28 am:

nope 26, cant drive. go me.

a plastic dolphin car would be way cooler than a plastic dolphin lamp thats for sure

By Czarina on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 02:31 pm:

Maybe you could kinda fix the lamp up a little.Make it more retro.Maybe do kind of a collage' type of scenario.Maybe add a Starkist tuna can["dolphin free tuna"],get one of those motion/sound activated thingys,and have it play the "Jaws" theme.That way you could enjoy your gift,and not hurt your mum.Cause it really is the thought that counts.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact